Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What makes a person ugly?

truethat

"He's more or less a throat with ears and hair" WTF?!!! ROFLMAO!!!

Thanks Ripley, I've been in a rotten mood all day, I needed that. :D

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• my_psychosis

• The Skeptic Eric Raven

• Briggles

• Beckys_Mom

Anyone who says looks don't matter is delusional.

Here's a hypothetical question for you:

An absolute stud is coming up out of the pool, tanned, muscular with eyes to die for...and suddenly an over-weight man with back hair so thick it's got it's own endangered species comes into view.

Can we all guess which one the ladies will work up the nerve to go and say "Hi" to? Even if the schmuck in the pool has a winning personality (hah) he'd still be your first choice.

Looks matter. It's why the human race has been getting prettier and prettier (and weaker) over the millenia.

You're absolutely correct except, if the over weight guy with the back hair were to be a millionaire, or maybe drive a 2007 Porsche, he'd stand the better chance. ;)

Another example using the same two characters would be if the handsome stud was hung like a hampster, and the over weight hairy guy like a horse, then the hairy fat guy would win.

Edited by Thozzman

Well pretty much everything has been covered here.

I try not to judge people on how they look, the reason being when I was younger (at school and in my clubbing/partying days) I was the 'ugly one' out of me and my best friend. Now don't get me wrong, I aren't a *total* swamp donkey :blink: but my best friend was (and still is a stunner). So when we were out I would always get guys coming over to me to get to talk to her LOL!!!.

Anyway, it would always turn out that we'd all end up going out on double dates ( me with the poor blokes mate who was dragged along to make up the numbers!!) and after a couple of dates I would always end up getting calls from the guy's who liked my friend asking me to go out with them. I NEVER accepted as I felt bad for my friend. It just showed me how shallow people can be and sort of taught me a lesson.

My friend actually went through a really jealous phase with me and we actually fell out for a while as I saw the jealousy as an ugly trait and argued that I was never jealous of her when all the guys were chasing her and using me as their 'plan' to get to her. we're still best friends, cos we're all grown up now!!!.

I am just confident in myself personality wise, and my face is what I have been given, like it or lump it.

On another note, I hate sexism. It works both ways. If a I would never expect my guy to do anything I wouldn't want to and visa versa. I hate how people hate men for hitting women (quite rightly too) but how women hitting men isn't as offensive to most people. If you want equal rights and you punch your bloke don't go all girly if he hits you back...equal rights. Either way its wrong.

I am on a rant now....basically, if you treat people how you want to be treated and visa versa, you won't be ugly personality wise.

Everything else is just the wrapping paper....and I have unwrapped some fine looking presents in my time to find the actual contents are disappointing!!!

Ignorance was covered, what about arrogance?

People that feel good by making you feel bad--bullies--and of course men that comb those two strands over so they think they aren't bald, & women who weigh 15 stone & think they look sexy in leather mini skirts!

Now now, that sounds rather nice to me....

I won't go into the physical aspects, because EVERYONE has a different idea of what's beautiful physically, and thus a different idea of what's ugly physically.

So:

-anyone who discriminates against another, for any reason, is ugly in my book

-people who enjoy causing pain to others

-etc, etc...

People who are not mindful of the sensitivities of others. For example a woman who talks about giving a bj and thinks its funny.

*looks around*

hey, I don't mind women talking about oral!!!

Sorry

bullies are definitly ugly.

to turn things around:

when someone helps someone else, in acts of kindness and good will. And when the person being helped expresses his gratitude with just a smile. It is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

I'm sorry to hear you weren't the absolute stunner RockChick ^_^ I feel like giving you a hug right now... I feel like giving all of you hugs! I love you guys!!!!

Sorry, getting late

There are so many things listed thats its not funny!!!

It depends on the person though really.

I had a best friend who was absolutly gorgeous and always got the attension, but she was really shallow, and always put me down as i was academically smarter and a better sport person than her

one thing though that i cant stand are people who dont brush their teeth, especially if they have braces (i used to and i took my tooth brush to school as a just incase because anything can get stuck!!)

i get irritated easily, so people who dont know when enough is enough of anything like eating, jokes, persistance etc.

It comes down to individuallity, and i assess every person i meet, whether to if they are ugly or not

But FYI, Cute used to mean "interesting but ugly"...so next time your called cute or call some one cute.....

does posting what we find ugly however make us prudish? arrogant?

how about hypocritial ? surely the traits we don't like in others exist in ourselves as well. isn't that why some people don't get along because they are so alike? food for thought. none of us is perfect.

and aussie you say you get irritated easily? 'enought is enough' is a individual taste. what might be enough for you may not be enough for someone eles and vise versa. some could then say you have no patience.

your welcome Thozz - are you a Brit ? My Brit friends would have loved that line. I couldn't help but think that's what he looked like.

for example - a couple of years ago while in England for a few months I came down with a terrible head cold and had lain in bed for 3 days doing squat. I was watching tv about religious artifacts. My girlfriend stated " how long are you going to lay in bed?"

and of course these replies are always quick and off the top of the head - I told her " long enough to leave a meaty shroud of Turin when I get up."

we laughed until we cried and my nasel passages filled again.

it was horrible.

Edited by Lt_Ripley

I believe what makes a person ugly is their attitude. :hmm:

Bad table manners.

Bad table manners.

Is that it?? someone that burps or farts at the dinner table while talking with their mouths full?? LMAO :lol:

I don't know... I really don't.

I think self-imposed ignorance would be what I'd choose as my number one "ugly" trait.

My best friend is one of the shallowest people I know, BUT she also posesses a lot of wonderful traits. She'd go to the ends of the earth for her friends, but she never thinks about anything much deeper than what's on the surface. She's charming and easy to be around because she's so frightfully simple and shallow.

I have another friend who is a classically attractice man, yet he's also completely self-absorbed, 50 years old and never had a relationship with a woman that lasted longer than 2 weeks. BUT on the other hand, he's an incredible conversationalist, funny and charming and one of my favorite people to spend an afternoon with. He's what I call my "perma-date" I can take him into any social situation and he'll be hit with everyone there. haha

It's tough, some people just rub me the wrong way, and it's hard to put a finger on what it is exactly. It must be a combination of bad traits that bubble up and make me go ick.

I think I enjoy diversity, and I'm willing to overlook a lot of peoples bad traits and look at the good ones.

Edited by MissMelsWell

What makes a person ugly to you? I mean everyone has foibles and flaws that can be over looked. Physically people can fix things up and some people can just be beautiful but have such a horrid character that it just ruins it.

But what are the deal breakers for you?

Very little to me would make me call or think of someone else as ugly. Basically everyone is different and does things in their own way, so the only real ugly thing imo would be to consider these imperfections or errors as coming from an ugly being.

Like I knew a girl once who was pretty but really mean and rude... and I liked her for it because she just did things in her own way... she was super rude but that was just her and it made her who she was, which wasnt ugly.. She was just wonderfully different.

Anyway so my answer is.. not alot.

linked-image

If this man approached you honestly would you give a damn if he was charming or humourous?

linked-image

If this man approached you honestly would you give a damn if he was charming or humourous?

ouch would be the first word off my lips and I don't think I could control it. I could get used to it. not marriage material mind you but probably great conversation and protection on a dark night.

I bet he doesn't go to the airport often.

Edited by Lt_Ripley

ouch would be the first word off my lips and I don't think I could control it. I could get used to it. not marriage material mind you but probably great conversation and protection on a dark night.

lol I agree Ripley. I would love to talk to him. Very interesting. Also just cause he looks weird does not mean he isnt a great guy. He might love puppys and kitttens etc. lol My point is "Dont judge a book by its cover." Anyway I dont. :yes:

what does he wash his face with? A Q-tip? Yikes.

LOL, the airport... Im also thinking he doesn't get too close ot microwaves either.

linked-image

Are you kidding? Who could possibly resist those gum rings?

Sure, he'd make a good friend, acquantance and possibly a boyfriend. But a soulmate? A husband? Of course not, because you're judging him by his looks. It's perfectly natural to do so. It's why we procreate.

And sure, he could find his own studded gal, but what of the physically repugnant? You can't tell me that when two hideous people meet they wouldn't prefer someone more attractive. No matter how ugly you are you still want something pretty to be with.

Meh, I'm rambling so here's another ugly person:

linked-image

GAH!!

seeing the gent with all the percings I have to wonder what he must go through to shave and if aftershave REALLY burns his face

OMG it's hellraiser :w00t: or a mobile pin cusion

Fatties, I think fat makes people ugly. More so than scars, burns, big noises or anything else. Why? cos it can be helped. To me fat it just a sign of laziness and the sign of an unhealthy lifestyle. I know this post is going to probably go down like the Hindenburg and be met with hostilities and comments like it cant be helped but lets face it ..... It can. If you burn more calories than you eat, fat comes off its impossible for it not to. Im not saying fat people are bad people, just mostly i dont find them attractive.

Edited by Q-Ball

Fatties, I think fat makes people ugly. More so than scars, burns, big noises or anything else. Why? cos it can be helped. To me fat it just a sign of laziness and the sign of an unhealthy lifestyle. I know this post is going to probably go down like the Hindenburg and be met with hostilities and comments like it cant be helped but lets face it ..... It can. If you burn more calories than you eat, fat comes off its impossible for it not to. Im not saying fat people are bad people, just mostly i dont find them attractive.

To me extremely skinny people are the same way. A sign of an unhealthly lifestyle.

To me extremely skinny people are the same way. A sign of an unhealthly lifestyle.

Maybe.

Assuming its not due to poverty, Poverty can't be helped to an extent. An when poverty dose strike there are for worse results than weather the population become perceived ugly or not. There are however no unfortunate circumstances were every one in a nation/area if forced fat. Fat is always self inflicted!! (unless of course your talking about fat kids, but then i think the parents should go on a charge for cruelty) So 2 fat is not quite the same as 2 skinny. Though It isn't really just the pysical flab i find unatractive its more the whol "its not my falt" the "its glandular" the - its everyones falt but mine - attitude that comes with it and the fact with a bit of hard work it needen't be there.

Again i know some people may come back with "i'm fat an i'm happy, so whats your problem?" well i know people who smoke and are happy to do so yet everybodys alright with telling them to quit/stop/give it up for the good of your health. you see where im going with this?!

Edited by Q-Ball

People with certain thyroid conditions can become extremely obese. That's not caused by overeating or lazyness. :mellow: