Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Cave entrances' spotted on Mars

UM-Bot

user posted image rScientists studying pictures from Nasa's Odyssey spacecraft have spotted what they think may be seven caves on the surface of Mars. The candidate caves are on the flanks of the Arsia Mons volcano and are of sufficient depth their floors mostly cannot be seen through the opening.

Details were presented here at the Lunar and Planetary Science Conference in Houston, Texas. Temperature data from Mars Odyssey's Themis instrument support the idea.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: BBC News

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mysterious Molecules

• Aztec Warrior

• Starry_eyes

• SirRedeye

This is a tad stupid. They treat this like some great discovery when it's pretty obvious there will be caves on such a big planet. I don't see what they find useful about this data, but i'm no scientist.

This is a tad stupid. They treat this like some great discovery when it's pretty obvious there will be caves on such a big planet. I don't see what they find useful about this data, but i'm no scientist.

You see that's where the Martian's live. By releasing this information, it slowly prepares the public for the eventual "big announcement."

This is a tad stupid. They treat this like some great discovery when it's pretty obvious there will be caves on such a big planet

It's not obvious at all.

Most caves are created by oceans, that's the reason Earth has so many. Not long ago we didn't even know whether Mars ever had oceans or not.

Edited by Raptor X7

there was another story that said one of mar's poles has enough ice on it to cover the whole planet in 30 feet of water (it was on coasttocoastam.co)

thats pretty good evidence that there was once oceans on mars, and of course-theres gonna be some caves and the possibilty of life existing there...

why is it that whenever someone discovers something on mars it involves aliens?

why is it that whenever someone discovers something on mars it involves aliens?

Sounds like they are getting closer to capturing ol Ossama every day! :rofl:

I hope im alive when aliens are discovered. That will be some BIG news. They've got to get them Mars Rovers into them caves!

Sounds like they are getting closer to capturing ol Ossama every day! :rofl:

lol....osamas been in hell so long he's in charge....or a martian cave..hmmmmm <_<

I think it's because the human race is lonely, people really want there to be someone else in the universe who we could communicate with, and it would be disappointing to believe that earth has the only life in the solar system. That's the range of our possible space probes for now, interstellar travel is still far in the future. And then there's the mystery and adventure of possibly finding the relics of a martian civilization, even if they were long dead. True or not, it's a very enticing idea.

Probably because the way the Universe appears now, or at least as far as what science knows about it, is pretty plain and boring =/. No aliens, no "paranormal" phenomena(Excluding Spirits/Demons/Whatever they are. And this is just my opinion, no one else needs to believe, but I have personal proof).

watch them walk into a slaughter house like that movie the desent. rofl.gif

I was thinking the exact same thing. That'd be pretty wild.

Edited by Zero of Deism

I think it's interesting . without curiousity we wouldn't have most of what we take for granted now.

there were naysayers too about wilber and orville. people with no imagination .

Oh bloody hell, they've become so desperate as to pass CAVES off as discoveries. Every five year old could have worked out that a giant floating rock's got caves.

"We've found oceans! of methane..."

"We've found life! we think, but it could have been alive..."

"We've found caves! on Mars...

Is it just me or is NASA getting stupider?

Well i just am saddened personally the way human kind prioritise earths rescources. We travel space looking for fecking caves on Mars, a mission that could've fed a 3rd world country for years because we want to be "entertained" basically.

The struggle for survival has ended for us, now all we struggle for is luxury while people die from hunger everyday. We suck!

Finding more Earthlike resources in space would be profoundly more helpful for all of mankind at this moment in time i believe. Even if all the resources available on Earth saved the third world it would only hasten the demise of mankind exponentionaly because of Earths limited resources. Ultimately exploring space NOW is the only hope all of the world has at this time i believe.

Edited by Dark_Ambient

Finding more Earthlike resources in space would be profoundly more helpful for all of mankind at this moment in time i believe. Even if all the resources available on Earth saved the third world it would only hasten the demise of mankind exponentionaly because of Earths limited resources. Ultimately exploring space NOW is the only hope all of the world has at this time i believe.

You have a point there buddy, but i still question our priorities. I mean, i'm not saying let's go back to the stoneage, but honestly there should be other ways to compensate for all this mass recycling. The universe is a neverending source of resource and energy and so much of our resources are beeing spent on our fears. Millitary and technology to protect us from eachother, while we really should be establishing contact with eachother.

We want to go search for aliens before we've even learned to communicate and get along here on earth. And i think we can put alot of the blame for our problems with getting along on exactly that. All the anger we steer up, by chasing luxury infront of the noses of starving people.

I can't help but think, we slow ourselves more down than what we actually gain. If we learned to communicate and get along, forcing all our efforts on uniting mankind, we would be 1000000 times more powerful in our conquest of space.

And uniting mankind may seem like an impossible task, but that's only because it's of such a low priority and idiot powerful madmen run us peoples lifes. Noone wants to fight. Noone wants to die. Only if they feel it neccesary. We need to stop and listen to eachother.

When Bush says "We don't negotiate with terrorists" it's basically like saying : "We don't want to listen or understand anything but our own beliefs, all who oppose will die."

He has no right to go and kill Saddam Hussein. Look man. Saddam Hussein was the universes automatic response to how such a country in such a state needed to be ruled... With a hard hand. You can disagree, but killing people for a belief or an opinion really makes us just as much terrorists as those who are killing us to get THEIR beliefs across. Look now how all the insane extremists downthere has almost been "liberated" by mister George Bush to terrorise for power, a power they couldn't have before, because they feared Saddam. Well now they have their hopes up again and i fear George is half the man Saddam was when it comes to actually caring for that countrys future.

Flame me all you want for sorta saying Saddam was alrite, but USA went and killed, robbed a man of his whole life goals. Commiting the very same sins they also use to justify killing Saddam. It's crazy.

Wow what a ramble sorry, but it's there.... Thoughts.

Edited by Ykaedhi Aewee

And what's with this mass growth of the human race. If we want to cut down on using rescources, maybe we should control our own insane growth and start caring for eachother. There are so many alternatives than to just spend and spend and spend and spend, teaching our kids to do that exact same thing. Spend spend spend spend, isolate isolate isolate, further further away from eachother. More and more jealousy, and hatred for us and i sorta understand it.

We are greedy b******* and on top, we come in with all our war machines and moneymaking, selling weapons and discreetly terrorising countries that really needs a helping hand and understanding. Communication. Can it really be so hard ? I mean noone wants to fight, if they can overcome problems in a peaceful way and i guess what makes it so difficult is that language and culture border. We need to forgive. God forgives, the bible says, well then maybe he should start forgiving people for not believing in him and having other beliefs.

I hope the internet will soon bring us all closer, but for some reason, in european schools the only languages to choose from are european ones. It blocks our communication and latter understanding of eachother.

We fear them because we don't understand them and vice versa.

Rambling here , but i really don't care right now.

And i tell you, the only reason we haven't developed away from using oil for gasoline, is because there is no need for it as long as the moneymen wants to extract every single fecking coin they can from every drop of oil before rendering it worthless by moving on to water engines and so on.

Well, regardless, we havn't gotten much luck so far, and I doubt we'll find any Earth like planets anytime soon. So, the money could have been better spent feeding the hungry! At least we know that would lead to success unlike our space missions.

Sorry for my spacey ramblings, let's just say i was under the influence that night :D

But anyways i just read a Danish newspaper article about these caves and it seems they want to use them for bases when we send manned missions there. They can protect the astronauts from Sandstorms, radiation from the sun and the mini meteorites impacting everyday upthere.

Buuut yeah i still stick to taking care of humankind before doing all this stuff. You need to crawl before you can walk and think of all the bad things humankind could do to eachother with greater technology if we don't stop the tech race and start caring for eachother first and overcoming our conflicts.

Good to see i agree with Zero on one thing atleast :)