Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iran 'seizes' 15 British Marines

Mugen

If I was tony blair id be sending the rest of those marines in to save their buddies....

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unlimited

• Cinders

• Aztec Warrior

• Mugen

To risk with thousands of US/British/Israeli lives only because of 15 marines who MIGHT be captured in Iranian waters and WILL be released eventualy? I dont think that would be wise.

If they were taken prisoner wrongly then I agree with Talon. You cant just let another country poke at you and make you weaker and weaker because of your unwillingness to do anything about it. You have to protect your soldiers, and if Iran captured them outside of Iranian waters, it is Iran who is starting the war.

Where they in Iraqi waters or Iranian?

or where they in disputed waters which we are trying to say is ours?

Where they in Iraqi waters or Iranian?

or where they in disputed waters which we are trying to say is ours?

the british say they were in iraqi waters..........

the british say they were in iraqi waters..........

Satellite tracking systems on the British boats proved they were inside Iranian waters, thats what Iranian officials say.

I dont know if it realy matters, imo this is not proveable, each side will say whats good for them. And I think UK marines will be released very soon without any extreme incident.

Satellite tracking systems on the British boats proved they were inside Iranian waters, thats what Iranian officials say.

I dont know if it realy matters, imo this is not proveable, each side will say whats good for them. And I think UK marines will be released very soon without any extreme incident.

your just lucky they arent US marines...extremely lucky...........

The UK forces should have shot the b******s. Save us having to kill a few more when we invade.

The UK forces should have shot the b******s. Save us having to kill a few more when we invade.

linked-image

Yeah, bombs away! :tu:

To risk with thousands of US/British/Israeli lives only because of 15 marines who MIGHT be captured in Iranian waters and WILL be released eventualy? I dont think that would be wise.

They WERE captured and are reportedly being taken to Tehran. Probable to be used as human shields and propaganda.

To whomever suggested that POW's paraded on National TV are cowards is seriously lacking in compassion and empathy :hmm: its an international war crime to parade POW's or detainees on T.V and order them to regurgitate an apology to contradict there home Governments public statement, I suspect the reason why this is done is for propaganda, I also think that the Statements are made under threats of violence and duress and carry no real substance or value, do you suspect that the Iranian security forces have "techniques" that can persuade prisoners to say what they want them to say? I do! :no:

I personally don’t care what any of the POW's say while on Iranian TV, I just want them come home safe!

Yours Faithfully

Jim

I suspect you are thinking of me when I mentioned they should have a spine and not allow themselves to be captured.....twice. I personally never used the word coward. That was the Iranian general in the propaganda video, describing the soldiers peeing in their pants and throwing away their firearms when approached by the Revolutionary guards.

Compassion and empathy have no place on the battlefield.

Yes, Iran will attempt to use them as propaganda puppets, just like 2004. The question is will the UK handle it in the same fashion or more sternly this time. From news reports I have seen, most analyist's feel the British Government will not handle it in the same manner as 2004.

British sailors admit entering Iran waters: Iran military

Mar 24 09:29 AM US/Eastern

Fifteen British sailors and marines detained off Iraq by the Iranian navy have admitted illegally entering Iranian waters, senior Iranian commander General Alireza Afshar said Saturday. "They are currently being questioned and have admitted to violating the territorial waters of the Islamic repubic," Afshar, the official spokesman of the army chief of staff, told the semi-official Fars news agency.

He told the Arabic language service of state television: "We have solid evidence that they were detained in our territorial waters. They themselves have confessed and admitted their mistake." Link

Edited by Aztec Warrior

The captured British marines have been taken to Tehran?. If the territorial rights over the Shatt al-Arab waters between Iraq and Iran are disputed, then both nations have a claim to operate in them.

This is a serious incident, but no-one should make it a reason for war, the last thing the Allies need in the midst of the saving Surge. Regardless, Britain no longer has the call. The Iranians have made an opportunistic point. They should release the captured and leave the British to register a stiff upper lip at the embarassment of having their pants pulled down, again.

Edited by explorer

that could just be state propoganda...........

It is Iranian propaganda. If they admit capturing the British soldiers in int'l waters....then they have no pretext to capture them.

There is an old saying....fool me once, shame on you....fool me twice, shame on me.

The British are pulling out of Iraq, so they would have all their military resources available, if needed. The 2004 incident lasted 24 hours...this one has already exceeded that. How patient do you think the British will be?

It is Iranian propaganda. If they admit capturing the British soldiers in int'l waters....then they have no pretext to capture them.

There is an old saying....fool me once, shame on you....fool me twice, shame on me.

The British are pulling out of Iraq, so they would have all their military resources available, if needed. The 2004 incident lasted 24 hours...this one has already exceeded that. How patient do you think the British will be?

They'll be British. Far more patient than you can imagine. So they've been fooled twice, shame on them?

They'll be British. Far more patient than you can imagine. So they've been fooled twice, shame on them?

I suppose.

I have never been to Great Britan, and really have no idea on their level of patience. In Mexico....we are very patient (mostly) and when we say 'manana', it could mean tomorrow......or it could mean weeks in the future.

Oil prices rose more than one percent to a three-month high on the news of the Britons' seizure.

glad someone is making money from this!

The guns would probably been promptly ejected when they realised the likely event that they were about to be killed and since they were not executed I would conclude that they made the correct decision and I’m pretty sure there relatives would agree.

I totally understand why you feel compassion and empathy do not live on the battlefield.

I cant help pity the misguided and brainwashed oppressed people in these problem area's.

Edited by zimbob

And I think UK marines will be released very soon without any extreme incident.

I hope you're right, Mugen.

It's all over the news today, in Britain...that Iranian military are saying that the 15 Marines have 'confessed' to being in Iranian waters.

It's getting messy.

If as you said in a previous post...that reformists in Iran are gaining a lot of support...maybe Britain is going softly, softly...so as not to play into the hands of the hard-line Islamists.

I occassionally watch news video online on Mosaic.. (they gather various news video from Arabic channels and translate to English)

Today they have this bit as part of the news from March 23 2007:

Iran Holds 15 British Soldiers

IRIB2 TV, Iran

Watch it online here:

http://www.linktv.org/mosaic/streamsArchive/

(QT or Quicktime Alternative required to see videos here)

Here is the problem with the river, the Shatt al_arab. the Royal Marines were in. The Iranian Government claims ALL of the river as Iranian terratorial waters. That Iraq and Kuwait has no right to travel in the waterway. According to international marintine law, the waters of the Shatt al-Arab, is devided down the centerline. With each nation having jurdicial control over their side of a river with ports up stream from the rivers enterance to the Gulf.

As far as the Marines "confessing" that they were in Iranian waters, if the Marines said they were anyplace on the river - then to the Iranians, they were in the water that they claim. No matter where the Marines were on the river, or what the maritime laws say.

Back in the 1970's, Iran, under the Shah, invaded and captured the Tomb Islands from the United Arab Emerates. The Islands are about 80 miles from Iran, and 15-20 miles from the U.A.E. And was within the waters of the U.A.E. So now Iran claims that their national waters extend accross the Persian Gulf to a 12 mile circle around the Islands. So by this reasoning, anyone sailing down the middle of the Gulf, enters Iranian terratory. (While Iran decries foreign intervention, they have not made any progress on returning the stolen islands to their rightful owners. And are retaining what the Shah stole.)

So Iran has the position that all of these waters belong to them. And that they have jurisdiction, no matter what treatys and international law says.

Iran, apparently its meant to have lovely weather and some nice coastline ideal for surfing and scuba, they probably filled their coast with mines and the beach with barbed wire :huh:

Do you think the Iranian's have been fighting for so long against so many different organisations and people they forgot what peace was actually like?

BBC News 'To fight would not be clever'

BBC News 2004 "Iran seizes UK vessels and crew"

BBC News "Country profile: Iran"

Googled "Iran Human Rights abuse"

why the constant provacation if the Iranians dont want war?...trust me amidiajad wants war....to bring about the coming of the 12th imam...but all hes gonna get is a tomahawk missle thru his house.....

If he wanted war he could have started it long time ago not now. THINK THINK THINK

If he wanted war he could have started it long time ago not now. THINK THINK THINK

he wants to get attacked thats why he's always provoking!...

This is all a joke hehehe

you think the iranians grabbing soverign soldiers is a joke....whats so funny?..I just heard the iranians have charged them with espionage...and they face the death penalty....

Edited by limited

This is all a joke hehehe

How the **** is this a joke? I am extremely aggrieved with the way Iran has acted and to me this is an act of war!

i just hope the British government get tough and stop pussyfooting around and get our servicemen home safe, by any means necessary.

Well done Iran you have just pi**ed off the British nation in one idiotic swoop, and i for one hope the consequence's for you are severe!

I agree it's an act of war...the brits need to get it together....see if some precision strikes get there soldiers back.