Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iran 'seizes' 15 British Marines

Mugen

I heard Iranian goverment wants to trade these Briton marines with Iranian soldiers captured and held by western forces.

Acctualy this situation is just as bad for Iranians as for Britions.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unlimited

• Cinders

• Aztec Warrior

• Mugen

I'm wondering if there is some sort of GPS or radar that would prove that they were in/out or Iranian waters. I wonder if there were such evidence, would it even be accepeted by Iran (probably not)

My guess that this a ploy or an action to trade these guys for the Iranians 'diplomats' captured in Iraq a few weeks ago...

I'm wondering if there is some sort of GPS or radar that would prove that they were in/out or Iranian waters. I wonder if there were such evidence, would it even be accepeted by Iran (probably not)

My guess that this a ploy or an action to trade these guys for the Iranians 'diplomats' captured in Iraq a few weeks ago...

I was told they did have GPS equipment with them.. but that there is a discrepency about WHAT IS IRAQ's Waters and WHAT IS IRAN'S water bounderies type thing. Can't find the article specifically but was told it is on BBC some where.

An interesting article here from BBC the differences from what is happening now and what took place in 2004

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6491581.stm

Edited by Cinders

Hi all,

Im not buying the Iranian claim that the UK troops where in Iranian waters, the Iraqi waters where the British and the Fifth naval fleet are patrolling get patrolled every single day, Iran has taken the troops as a sign to the west, which I think has links back to the capture of Iranian diplomats in Iraq by the Americans some months back, I can see them using the UK troops has a bargaining tool.

If footage comes out of our troops and they show signs of torture then it's a whole new ball game,

One thing I heard reported, is that they're going to try two out of the fifteen as spies, which could lead to the death penalty, (but I cant see it getting this far)

But if push comes to shove, we have our nuclear weapons based on two submarines in the gulf, and if need be use them, (that's if military action is needed)

Steve.

Edited by stevewinn

Rumor has it that some France ships have come near Iran border and I bet some UK too if its true, but still its a rumor.

Rumor has it that some France ships have come near Iran border and I bet some UK too if its true, but still its a rumor.

What's your point? So what if they have come near?

What's your point? So what if they have come near?

That MAYBE west will attack Iran in near future.

Young mother is one of missing Marines

A young mother is among 15 British Armed Forces personnel who were last night being interrogated by the hardline Iranian regime.

The Mail on Sunday can reveal that the woman in her 20s is understood to have more than one child and is a Royal Navy NCO.

She was the only female among the British personnel seized at gunpoint by the Iranian navy on Friday.

She was on one of two patrol boats checking a merchant vessel for contraband in a disputed part of the Shatt al-Arab waterway, which separates Iraq and Iran.

Like her 14 male colleagues from the Royal Navy and Royal Marines, the female NCO will be aware of her rights under the Geneva Convention and is unlikely to provide the Iranians with any more information than her name, rank and serial number.

She will have been given training in interrogation techniques and will have received detailed advice on not antagonising captors in order to gain their sympathy.

With no tangible signs last night of a breakthrough in diplomatic negotiations to secure the release of the British captives from Tehran, the female NCO and her colleagues were facing a second night in Iranian custody.

Last night, Iranian General Ali Reza Afshar said the 15 Britons had admitted being in Iran's territorial waters. Britain insists the Royal Navy boats were in the Iraqi zone of the waterway. General Afshar said the Britons were being interrogated, but were in good health.

Earlier yesterday, Foreign Office Minister Lord Triesman met the Iranian ambassador in London, Rasoul Movahedian, who had been summoned to the Foreign Office to explain his country's actions.

The captured group of British personnel were all attached to the Type 22 frigate HMS Cornwall, which arrived in the Gulf 13 days ago as flagship of the coalition force that patrols Iraqi territorial waters to combat smuggling.

They had disembarked from HMS Cornwall into two inflatable boats for the routine inspection of a merchant ship as part of UN-authorised checks that have been carried out since the Iraq War started in 2003.

They were taken captive by troops from six heavily armed vessels manned by men from Iran's Revolutionary Guard and forced to head to a nearby Iranian base.

There was a shocked and sombre mood on HMS Cornwall as news reached the frigate about the kidnaps.

A BBC film crew was on board and captured the reaction of crew. Pictures of distraught crew members were shown on the Ten O'Clock News with a report from journalist Ian Pannell. One female appeared close to tears.

But political and military figures have questioned the use of footage showing such emotional scenes.

Tory MP Patrick Mercer, an ex-Army infantry commander and former defence correspondent of BBC Radio 4's Today programme, said: "It's worrying to think that our service men and women have got themselves into this state.

"It hardly compares with the resilience that was shown, for example, in the Falklands War 25 years ago.

"Showing our enemies what effects their actions have on our seamen is deeply unhelpful and thoroughly irresponsible.

"The BBC ought to think about the military implications of what they're doing before they make these sorts of broadcasts.

"The grief of service men and women should be off limits. It's distasteful and aids and abets our enemies. I very much hope that our people will be returned safely and brought back home."

The ongoing attempts to secure the release of the British hostages continued as plans for Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to address the UN Security Council in New York were cancelled amid claims - denied by America - that visas had been obstructed.

The UN was last night set to agree new sanctions against Iran over its refusal to abandon work on producing enriched uranium, fuelling fears about its nuclear ambitions.

Iran's stance has raised suspicions that the snatching of the British military personnel was part of a bid to put pressure on the UK over the nuclear issue.

Liberal Democrat leader Sir Menzies Campbell said last night: "The Iranian government should be left in no doubt that Britain's determination through the United Nations to prevent Iran acquiring a military nuclear capability will remain undiminished by the illegitimate abduction of our forces.

"The United Kingdom will not be blackmailed. Iran has a choice: to act responsibly; or face greater isolation."

The seizure of the boarding party echoes an incident in June 2004, when eight Royal Marines and Navy sailors were held after being seized by Iranians in the Shatt al-Arab.

They were paraded blindfolded for Iranian TV cameras and freed only after they had made an 'apology' on air for straying into Iranian waters by mistake.

Their three patrol boats and equipment have never been returned to Britain by the Iranians, who at one stage displayed the kit in a Tehran museum.

Britain has warned the Iranians against trying to repeat the TV propaganda stunt this time around.

-------------------------------------

I heard they were calling them insurgents and were possibily going to charge them with spying. Insane.

At the moment it is looking that way, Mugen.....I don't think anyone can predict whats going to happen...but, not so long ago it was unthinkable that Iran would be attacked...now, in Britain, at least we are being taken nearer and nearer to accepting that this could/is going to happen.

Tony Blair has made his first statement on the incident today......saying how serious it is etc. He's looking pretty haggard.

I agree with what you said a few posts back that this 'incident' is a problem for Iranians and the British.

It must be a massive worry for ordinary Iranians, especially those who want political changes and reforms.

It just keeps getting worse.

I think you and your president want to get attacked....the US knows about the tactical nukes you have.. I think thats the suprise you have; the shipbuster missles purchased from the chinese....your guys so crazy he will probably shoot shahab 3 missles into europe if attacked.....then it will be over.

That is a possibility, but the whole kidnapping thing makes is reasonable to park in the neighborhood to make a point that it won't tolerate another iranian hostage ordeal. Too many countries are upset with Irans leadership right now to let this slide. It isn't like it is just the US is alone in its disagreement with mahmoud and company...Geez, what does it take to get the French up in arms and moving warships into range???

I was hoping that iran would just hand the soldiers over right away so the situation could blow over, but the longer they are held the more likely there will be serious repercusions for iran; considering the action going on right now regarding the nuclear issues this issue just complicated that matter tenfold. With kidnapping added to the list, simple sanctions are not going to be reasonable responses from the UN and I don't understand what the thought process could be from the person who initiated the "sezure" of the Marines. How anyone could think that it would be a good idea is beyond me. I could understand reporting it; going ot the UN and stating that the British had entered iranian waters illegally(if that is what actually happened), and handling it that way. To seize them and create a international incident on top of the nuclear issues is just insane...

I just got off from messaging and e-mailing friends and relitives in the UK. And the British mood right now is very grim. They are starting to mentally prepare themselfs for war with Iran. With the showing of radar tracks that show the ship being inspected was on the Iraqi side of the Shatt al_Arab. Basicly the conversations centered around demands by the British for the return of the Royal Marines within the next 24 hours. The desire of some of the people I talked to, of moving 150 Tornado bombers to the Gulf. Along with all operational Eurofighters. And an embargo of all shipping, including tankers, to and from Iranian ports.

If the Iranian government thinks this is just a game, maybe they should send their ambassidor to London out to pubs. And find out what the British people think of his country right now.

24 - 48 hours. The clock is ticking down for Iran.

I think you and your president want to get attacked....the US knows about the tactical nukes you have.. I think thats the suprise you have; the shipbuster missles purchased from the chinese....your guys so crazy he will probably shoot shahab 3 missles into europe if attacked.....then it will be over.

Me?

The US has a few battle groups in there also....this could explode....

.this could explode....

Again I find myself agreeing with you..... :blink:

I too think that thing's are going to get very hot and I think Iran...well it's president is digging his own grave.

This is completely ignorant of Iran. Its almost as if they are waving a flag that says "We want war!"

Unfortunately we may be referring to Iran in the past tense soon.

Lets hope calmer heads prevail.

It must be a massive worry for ordinary Iranians, especially those who want political changes and reforms.

I agree with that statement 100%; it is sad to think that mahmoud will be safe in his hideaway somewhere while the average joe on the street would be the one to be in the line of fire... Kind of like bush and iraq... Oy.

Me?

I, for one, am grateful for your imput on this topic/forum, Mugen.

Not all Americans agree with Bush. Not all British agree with Blair. I'm positive not all Iranians agree with your leader. International politics is at a dangerous point.

Fingers crossed everyone!

PS....don't want to be too flippant...but keep your cars filled up with petrol, folks(I do)...there could be a severe shortage soon...or the prices could go through the roof.

But at the end of the day, this is the least of our worries....or is it....Western societies are dependent on petrol/oil.

Perhaps this is where the brinkmanship is going to go, very soon.

Something that I left out on my post about talking to people in the UK. And that is the people who are getting hot under the collar. Those are friends/relitives who have been opposed from the start to the Iraqi War. But are developing a shot fuse when it comes to the lastest Iranian hostage crisis. These Brits have had it with Iran. Remember this is the second time this has happened to the British military in 3 years, and the people are feed up.. Specially since the inspections were under UN directives.

If the Royal Marines are not released in the next 24 - 48 hours, I see the majority of the British people calling for the Royal Air and the Royal Navy - along with their Allies, to take action against Iran. And they are not willing to give Iran anything that looks like an appology. I have not seen anger like this since the Falklands War.

Mugen, there have been times when I have wanted to wring you neck over some of your posts. But I am coming to understand your position. Even when I disagree with them. So may I make the recommendation that you take a long vacation in Turkey starting tomarrow.. Iran needs people like you when the shooting stops. And to help put the pieces back together.

It doesnt look like the Iranians plan on releasing them in 24-48 hours...the hardliners want them to be tried for espionage....or used as a barter chip?

Me?

Limited that is unfair to say to him for craps sakes! His leader is as much a Religious NUT JOB as OUR USA Leader is.. and all around the world know that!

Mugen.. not trying to point you out at all but I am just countering on a post a member made in here that YOU pointed out.... I knew it was coming because of where you are from and all... *sigh*

And I am not a bible thumping religious nut job as my leader is or his followers.. but I am praying that this situation does not escalate to something else..

*PEACE*

Edited by Cinders

Limited that is unfair to say to him for craps sakes! His leader is as much a Religious NUT JOB as OUR USA Leader is.. and all around the world know that!

Mugen.. not trying to point you out at all but I am just countering on a post a member made in here that YOU pointed out.... I knew it was coming because of where you are from and all... *sigh*

And I am not a bible thumping religious nut job as my leader is or his followers.. but I am praying that this situation does not escalate to something else..

*PEACE*

ya mugen i apologize... maybe you dont want war as much as your president....hi cinders I would like to see peace also; but they are picking the fight so....

I, for one, am grateful for your imput on this topic/forum, Mugen.

Not all Americans agree with Bush. Not all British agree with Blair. I'm positive not all Iranians agree with your leader. International politics is at a dangerous point.

Fingers crossed everyone!

THANK YOU BEE!!! you know it! that is sooo right .. you know it!

.. and the Nov 2006 elections told the world that too.. he didn't take the HINT but the world has...

Now we have a LOOOOONG wait til he is outta' the White House in Jan 2009..

*sigh*