Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iran 'seizes' 15 British Marines

Mugen

Young mother is one of missing Marines

A young mother is among 15 British Armed Forces personnel who were last night being interrogated by the hardline Iranian regime.

The Mail on Sunday can reveal that the woman in her 20s is understood to have more than one child and is a Royal Navy NCO.

She was the only female among the British personnel seized at gunpoint by the Iranian navy on Friday.

Is this article trying to say that women should not be allowed to join the military? Too dangerous for them and only men should be put at risk of being captured and killed? Is that sexist lol?

As many say about the anti-war crowd, the soldiers who refuse to go and fight in Iraq, DONT JOIN THE MILITARY and expect not to be put in harms way.

So they havent given the soldiers back yet huh, and both sides are disputing who was where in disputed waters :wacko: like they will ever figure that one out given the nature of disputed territory.

Well I guess the UK should have gone in bombing like Israel did in Lebanon and saved their captured soldiers.... oh wait has Israel even gotten those soldiers back yet?!? Maybe attacking a country to release your captured troops is actually a stupid idea lol. Makes a great pretext for war but bombs dont release prisoners, though it hasnt been used as a pretext for war by the UK or US, or not at least yet, it looks like the West and Iran are playing a game of high stakes chicken, both provoking the other while both knowing there is really not much either of them can do besides lay waste to the region woohoo!

As per the whole 12th Imam thing, thats like the crazy Christian Right's belief that Jesus is coming back right? Oh man two crazy Presidents trying to initiate the return of their prophet, could be the same guy huh? Why doesnt Bush and Ahmadinejad just sit down, have a cup of tea and discuss their retarded religious prophecies together. It could be what is needed to reconcile the differences between these nutcases. They can plan their prophet's return and I'll grab the wood and nails to do 'em again.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unlimited

• Cinders

• Aztec Warrior

• Mugen

Hi all,

The British navy hasnt played a major part in any conflict since the Falklands war. i think the Royal navy should park a few type 42 destroyers batch 2 & 3, a couple of type 23 & 22 frigates followed by a few Vanguard subs, maybe our two swiftsure subs and why not add the trafalgar subs in the gulf we could bomb Iran from the sea and with our subs playing a major role the Iranian navy wouldnt have a chance, not even with their sunburn anti shipping missle, let the Royal Navy flex its Muscle,

Iran wants a fight and its going to get more than a bloody nose,

Steve

Nah, I think a couple of Venator-class Star Destroyers should do the trick.

Why hasn't england Declared War Against iran Yet, Knowing Bush he would have declared War and Put "misson Accomplished" or something on a ship if This happened to a U.S ship

Edited by thecreeper

than why dont they go get them?......

Because the situation is very tricky.

Cinder's post on page 9 had a link about Ahmadinejad possibly actually 'craving doomsday'.

He may have created this crisis to create an 'international incident' also, to unite people in Iran and stop Iranians who want reform, doing well in their next elections. Mugen said that he thought the reformists might win the next elections.

Also we have the 'small' matter of Western societies economies colapsing if the oil stops getting through, due to war.

Blair to Iran: free captives in days

* Correspondents in London and New York

* March 27, 2007

BRITAIN'S crisis with Iran deepened yesterday as Tony Blair warned Tehran it has only a few days to release 15 captured British sailors and marines, as a US commander in the Gulf criticised the British for not opening fire on the Iranian Revolutionary Guards who seized them.

Situation goes downhill..

----------------------------------------------------------

I imagine that Tehran will be given a 96 hour warning-after that-it might degrade into war. Especially since Iran might trie the sailors for espionage.

Iran doesn't realize that once the war starts, it probably won't stop until it's nuclear program has been destroyed and military and civilian infrastucture badly damaged.

I really think that Ahmadinezjad is gone completely out of his mind and has left reality and gravity of the situation behind..And just doesn't comprehend the naval firepower of 2 carrier groups 50 miles off of his coast. The coalition could pummel the country into gravel for weeks (cruise missles) and never land one soul on the soil.

Edited by Pinky Floyd

A friend sent this small bit of Sky news Video to me.. (we are not getting much news - Anna Nicole Smith news is taking over the stupid news channels)

Anyway this just a short clip..but listen to this...

Disputed Waters: Missing Sailors

But this is sort of what I was talking about regarding confusion on what is really considered Iraqi Water Bounderies and what is really considered Iran Water Bounderies.

This is crazy.. and at a time when Iran is facing heavy sanctions due to the Nuke situation already...

Edited by Cinders

I imagine that Tehran will be given a 96 hour warning-after that-it might degrade into war. Especially since Iran might trie the sailors for espionage.

Perhaps if Britain would specify the amount of days Iran has to free the captives, rather tahn demand their freedom in "days"

Perhaps if Britain would specify the amount of days Iran has to free the captives, rather tahn demand their freedom in "days"

In diplomatic speak, In A Matter Of Days, means that the other side is on the clock. And if the Royal Marines/sailors are not released very soon (the next day or two) a deadline will be set.

By not giving a deadline right now, it gives a bit of wriggle-room to the Iranians to comply. Once a deadline is given, then the Iranian government will stiffen their position. The Iranians would be placed in a position of loosing face looking at a deadline. Something the hardliners can not do.

But the Iranian government can not think that if there is not a deadline at this momment, that they have all the time in the world. Time is not something that the Iranians have. If Iran does not react, or trys the British citizens, Blair can bring a declaration of war before Parliament.

And the longer this drags out, the more nations around the world will concider Iran a danger. And more than a danger - compleatly unpreditable. If Iran thinks it is isolated now, just wait until the roof falls in on them.

Edited by Birmingham

Why hasn't england Declared War Against iran Yet, Knowing Bush he would have declared War and Put "misson Accomplished" or something on a ship if This happened to a U.S ship

Im not sure england has the backbone to declare war?...agreed bush would be putting up a banner over this....

Limited,

The United Kingdom HAS the back bone to declare war but before declaring any war you need all of your jigsaw pieces inplace. when Iran captured the sailors/marines, back in London plans would have been drawn up on what to do for their safe release, also a plan of action if it come to military action,

Im not sure england has the backbone to declare war?...agreed bush would be putting up a banner over this....

You seem to spend a lot of time rubbing off your uncle sam an putting down Briton, I was just wondering when was the last time was the US won a war with out the UK's help? Oh and your Civil war doesn't count.

Edited by Q-Ball

You seem to spend a lot of time rubbing off uncle sam an putting down Briton I was just wondering when was the last time was the US won a war with out the UK's help? Oh and your Civil war doesn’t count.

or vice versa...If you read my posts closer im not knocking uk forces...but their leadership...

or vice versa...If you read my posts closer im not knocking uk forces...but their leadership...

If by vice Versa you mean how Meany wars has the UK won with out the help of the US, 3 spring to mind, Falklands, Sierra Leone and our own 'war on terror' with the IRA in Northern Ireland. The irony is that the IRA were heavily funded by the US public, seen as 'freedom fighters'. I did read your post closer, seemed like you carpet bombed the whole show from Joe squaddy to big Tony in No.10 but if this was not your intention then i'm sorry, honestly and yes i wish UK Forces or the captured Troops had made/will make an example of troops that took them/Iran what they did, it's ****ing ridicules.

Edited by Q-Ball

Blair to Iran: free captives in days

* Correspondents in London and New York

* March 27, 2007

BRITAIN'S crisis with Iran deepened yesterday as Tony Blair warned Tehran it has only a few days to release 15 captured British sailors and marines, as a US commander in the Gulf criticised the British for not opening fire on the Iranian Revolutionary Guards who seized them.

Situation goes downhill..

----------------------------------------------------------

Iran doesn't realize that once the war starts, it probably won't stop until it's nuclear program has been destroyed and military and civilian infrastucture badly damaged.

I really think that Ahmadinezjad is gone completely out of his mind and has left reality and gravity of the situation behind..And just doesn't comprehend the naval firepower of 2 carrier groups 50 miles off of his coast. The coalition could pummel the country into gravel for weeks (cruise missles) and never land one soul on the soil.

There was never any need to kidnap these soldiers, regardless of where they were on the straight. It's not like they attempted to land on Iranian terroritory at night in black ninja suits.

In diplomatic speak, In A Matter Of Days, means that the other side is on the clock. And if the Royal Marines/sailors are not released very soon (the next day or two) a deadline will be set.

By not giving a deadline right now, it gives a bit of wriggle-room to the Iranians to comply. Once a deadline is given, then the Iranian government will stiffen their position. The Iranians would be placed in a position of loosing face looking at a deadline. Something the hardliners can not do.

But the Iranian government can not think that if there is not a deadline at this momment, that they have all the time in the world. Time is not something that the Iranians have. If Iran does not react, or trys the British citizens, Blair can bring a declaration of war before Parliament.

And the longer this drags out, the more nations around the world will concider Iran a danger. And more than a danger - compleatly unpreditable. If Iran thinks it is isolated now, just wait until the roof falls in on them.

I completely agree with your thinking on this. Let diplomacy work first.....but Britian will not let this drag out indefinetly. It will not drag out weeks and weeks. However, military action alone will not free the kidnapped soldiers. Diplomacy will have to fail, or the soldiers are put on trial before we see any military action. Once that starts, I am POSITIVE the US will join in and..............bye bye Iran.....bye bye nuclear program......back to the stone age.

On Tuesday, the U.S. Navy began its largest demonstration of force in the Persian Gulf since the 2003 invasion of Iraq, with two aircraft carriers and backed by warplanes flying simulated attack maneuvers off the coast of Iran. Link

They have the backbone, its just they probably won't get the kidnapped soldiers back if military action starts. Although, this would not be anything like the past summer squirmish between Hezobo's and Israel. Not anything like that.

The bottom line is grabbing the soldiers in iraqi waters, was an act of agression.. and act of war against iraq actually...they are hosting england in there country...so that means any soldier in iraq is fair game for the iranian guard?.....this is proposterous....

You seem to spend a lot of time rubbing off your uncle sam an putting down Briton, I was just wondering when was the last time was the US won a war with out the UK's help? Oh and your Civil war doesn't count.

Spanish-American War, Mexican War...oh...the Revolution.

Spanish-American War, Mexican War...oh...the Revolution.

So not for at least 100 yrs, thats all you had to say :D

Edited by Q-Ball

So not for at least 100 yrs, thats all you had to say :D

whats this got to do with the topic..the 2 countries are allies....wheres bush on this ?..he hasnt said anything...

whats this got to do with the topic..the 2 countries are allies....wheres bush on this ?..he hasnt said anything...

Sorry, i was just messing with OlDrippy34, just trying to get a rise out of him, i'll stop now (bad day at work) :innocent: yeah i would like to know what bush says about this.

Edited by Q-Ball

Got bored of the "We're better than you [even though I personally have done nothing for my country]" slanging match after about page 2, so I haven't read the rest of the replies, but here is an update if anyone cares.

BBC

Got bored of the "We're better than you [even though I personally have done nothing for my country]" slanging match after about page 2, so I haven't read the rest of the replies, but here is an update if anyone cares.

BBC

thanks for the update....bush was just on tv and didnt mention it....

this is obviously a ploy by the iranian gov. to help silence the critics.same thing bush did with war on terror,close ranks,with us or against us sort of thing.stir up national fervor and get hardliners to drown out the moderates, hold them for awhile to show your`e not afraid of the big bad west. last thing they want is war but they can never admit that. this is simply a show for the home audience{helps when they control most media} get the people`s mind off the nuclear thing.that`s my take on the matter.

thanks for the update....bush was just on tv and didnt mention it....

He doen't have to ... sometimes actions speak louder than words....

U.S. launches huge show of force in Persian Gulf

March 27, 2007

ABOARD THE USS JOHN C. STENNIS IN THE GULF: The U.S. Navy on Tuesday began its largest demonstration of force in the Gulf since the 2003 invasion of Iraq, deploying two aircraft carriers and conducting simulated aerial attacks.

The maneuvers, involving 15 U.S. warships and more than a hundred planes, were certain to increase tension with Iran, which has frequently condemned the U.S. military presence off its coastline.

The exercises began only four days after Iran captured 15 British sailors and marines whom it accused of straying into Iranian waters near the Gulf. Britain and the U.S. Navy have insisted the British sailors were operating in Iraqi waters.

Aboard the carrier USS John C. Stennis, F/A-18 fighter jets rocketed off the deck in one of a dozen rapid-fire training sorties against enemy shipping and aircraft.

"These maneuvers demonstrate our flexibility and capability to respond to threats to maritime security," said U.S. Navy Lt. John Perkins, 32, of Louisville, Kentucky, as the Stennis cruised about 80 miles off the United Arab Emirates.

"They're showing we can keep the maritime environment safe and the vital link to the global economy open."

At U.S. 5th Fleet headquarters in Bahrain, U.S. Navy Cmdr. Kevin Aandahl said the U.S. maneuvers were not organized in response to the capture of the British sailors — nor were they meant to threaten the Islamic Republic, whose navy operates in the same waters. (hmmmmmmm but what timing though eh?..)

He declined to specify when the Navy planned the exercises, but added they would last several days.

FULL ARTICLE HERE: AP via International Herald Tribune

Also found on CNN

Quickie video via CNN:

IRAN 'unhelpful' in Iraq

The top U.S. commander in Iraq talks to CNN's Kyra Phillips about the role of Iran. (March 27)

See snippet video with his comment HERE

Also watch other comments from him UNDER WORLD here :

http://www.cnn.com/video/

------------

It's probably best that Bush keep a low key on all this anyway.. he's done enough damage -- we certainly don't need him to create more on this situation now eh??

Edited by Cinders

The way SOME of you guys are arguing/bantering has made me think...another angle on this 'situation'...maybe to put pressure on the American/British alliance.

American military seize Iranians in Iraq. Iranians seize British in disputed waters. Iranians want to swap prisoners. The alliance is in a quandary.

When push comes to shove, guys, we're all on the same 'side'.

But Bush's silence on the 'matter' is puzzling.....makes me think there are frantic discussions and plans going on.

Just an observation.