Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iran 'seizes' 15 British Marines

Mugen

Shame about the burning of the White House in the war of 1812.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unlimited

• Cinders

• Aztec Warrior

• Mugen

Just proving there are dumbasses on both sides of the pond.

sorry we decimated king georges armies and stole all your ships and equipment....

Man. This topic has gone off topic. ^^;; Or that just might be from what I see.

Actually, half of the White House as burned down. :P

Correction, it was the combination of the bad leaderhsip and French which beat us. Oh, and fighting Europe on our own aswell.

Back on topic...

I hope the Iranians come to their collective senses and release these marines....

I heard from FNC. That the British are hopeful on the marines. Because they might be released after the case. (I would have put down that word. But I have no idea how to spell it.) And all of the marines are all fine.

The only part that worries me is will bush and blair look weak?...amidinjad is calling them out basically. like a thug and they've been silent....will he continue his provocation of the west til he gets his nukes....then what?

The only part that worries me is will bush and blair look weak?...amidinjad is calling them out basically. like a thug and they've been silent....will he continue his provocation of the west til he gets his nukes....then what?

Historically, the Persians desire to exact revenge on those that have, or feel they have, been wronged by. The tale of the 300 Spartans is a good example. The Persians wanted revenge on Athens for sending troops to Ionia to help a revolt by the Lydians to get control of the city they had lost to the Persians. It would serve them well to moderate this historical lust for revenge. I can only hope they don't have a repeat of history in modern times.

The hard-line government in Iran is extremely belligerent right now, like a child pushing the boundries to see how far they can push. With a nuke in hand... I feel it would definately enbolded the hard-liners in Iran.

Baby Bush has only one more year so what they think of him is inconsiquential. Not sure about Blair. But yeah, amidinjad reminds me of the bully who yells obseneties from afar and then runs when you go after them.

Everything is changing rapidly right now so it's anyone's guess what the future holds for us.

It seems like war with Iran is inevitable...so maybe they should just get it over with....sad state of affairs; but the hardliners keep pushing the paper....

World War III staring us right in the face. What happens when oil goes way up, inflation up, food prices up, radiation clouds circling the globe. Better take care of this Iran problem right now.

Yes, it was a shame. Lots of good artwork up in flames.

The Alamo was a shame too.

sorry we decimated king georges armies and stole all your ships and equipment....

I don't remember the US stealing any British ships.

When push comes to shove, guys, we're all on the same 'side'.

But Bush's silence on the 'matter' is puzzling.....makes me think there are frantic discussions and plans going on.

Just an observation.

You hit the nail right on the head... I feel the very same way...

It is just tooooo quiet on the side of the Bush Administration.. all the buzz right now on our media is about Snow and his cancer. (what person and his momma don't have cancer? all this hubbub about Snow.. jeez)

All this sort of reminds me of the "Lunch MUNCH " Bush had with Blair over Hezbollah and Israel back in July.... but a bit of it got caught on tape & audio.

*didn't his momma teach him NOT to talk with food in his mouth? Reminds me of some COW chewing his cud!*

Yea.. it's best he lay cool for awhile .. Blair has MUCH better mannerisms to handle this sort of situation.

If ONLY he did not LIE to the world into going into IRAQ.. we could have handled ALL this situation differently with IRAN.

NOW IRAN knows we are stretched thin in Iraq and what bit we do in Afghanistan...

IRAN NEVER new before but after watching us flounder in Iraq... it's all a different ball game.

The US goverment understand that more harm than good can be done at the moment if they America become involved.

However!

Fox News "U.S. Begins Show of Force in Persian Gulf"

Sounds like your saying....US stay out of this....we can handle Iran all by ourselves. (With one frigate and two minesweepers.)

Uh....huh...... :rolleyes:

Earlier today I had CNN International on my TV. And they had a good report on the real villians in the crissis, the Iranian Revolutionary Guards. The R.G. was formed at the end of the Iranian Revolution, when the clerics did not trust the regular Iranian military. Now at 150,000 members they have their own army, navy and airforce - outside of the normal chain of command. Their loyalty is not to the Iranian people, but to the hardliners in power. (If you want a comparison, think of the Waffen SS in World War II, who were under the command of Himler's SS. Where they were the army of the Nazi Party and not part of the regular German Army) And the R.G. is better armed, better paid and better morale than the regular Iranian military.

One of the overlooked part of the UN sactions voted in Saturday, was the economic sactions against members of the R.G. Like in mainland China, where the Chinese Peoples Army own and operate a good part of the Chinese economy - so the R.G. own and control a good chunk of the Iranian economy. And the Revolutionary Guards have become very rich off of their companies . Along with the percentage they have made from arms transfers. Some of these companys are open and public, others are hidden behind a layer of false owerships. And the UN sactions went directly at the pocket books of the R.G. leadership. Freezing their funds overseas, and embargoing their foreign sales And the R.G. are hopping mad because now they may have to make a living like the rest of the Iranian people.

The R.G.s will continue as is. Since they have the support of former R.G. commanders like President Ahmaninejad who now run the country. When you have backing like that, you have the ability to do whatever you want. And to execute the orders of the hardlines outside the standard chain of command.

As far as the present crissis with the Royal Marines and British Sailors, the hardliners, in my opinion, are going to use these hostages to overturn the UN sactions. Get your people back by calling for a reveiw of the sanctions and for the British to veto the sanctions. (a bad understanding of the British) Afterall, the R.G. wants the bomb for pride, and because the Guards are partially in control of the program. And are making a lot of money out of it.

Edited by Birmingham

WOW.. check out all the headlines today on this:

http://news.google.com/nwshp?ie=UTF-8&...;ncl=1114725129

She might get freed, but the PROOF now shows they were in IRAQI waters and they should ALL BE SET FREE

What bothers me is other headlines I am reading on this such as

Britain Freezing Talks with Iran (Houston Chronicle)

Latest talks fail in Iran-Britain Standoff (LA TIMES also has a video news bit on this one)

Time to let them ALL GO FREE NOW Iran.. PLEASE LET THEM GO!

Edited by Cinders

What bothers me is... there is only 1 woman involved and i was watching BBC world last night and they have an interview with her hours befor they were captured, she was saying things like she knows the risks, etc etc. looks to me like a set up. get the public on side and fool them into another conflict. can it be just a weird weird concidence that they interviewed her only hours before the incident.

What bothers me is... there is only 1 woman involved and i was watching BBC world last night and they have an interview with her hours befor they were captured, she was saying things like she knows the risks, etc etc. looks to me like a set up. get the public on side and fool them into another conflict. can it be just a weird weird concidence that they interviewed her only hours before the incident.

I would like to see that interview. Do you know if it's on-line? Just a coincidence. I'm sure the British didn't call the RG's and arrange some sort of conspiracy.

I found this article by the Telegraph to be quite interesting, and essentially agrees with my posts over the past few days.

If Iran desires a lifting of sanctions, rather than their intensification, it would be prudent for it to stop lying to us about the details of its nuclear programme, to stop arming and directing insurgents in southern Iraq, and to stop violating Iraqi territorial waters.

Instead, it chooses to deepen our hostility, believing, against all the evidence, that threats rather than conciliation will weaken Western resolve, and even that it will be rewarded in some way for releasing the prisoners unharmed.

It is Mr Blair's job now to trumpet unequivocally the folly of such a belief.

We wait anxiously to see whether this weakened and discredited Prime Minister has the necessary spine to do what is required, or whether Britain will persist in presenting its weakest aspect to a potential enemy.

Link

And then this by the Times, completely corroborates my posts.

Sir, Having served with the Royal Navy in the Gulf, during peacetime and war, I wish to express my anger and frustration regarding the situation that has been allowed to develop with our kidnapped Service people in Iran.

If, as now seems apparent, we are putting our people in harm’s way with no commitment to back them up should things take a turn for the worse, then we should cease the policy of stop-and-search in the Gulf immediately.

At the time of the abduction, HMS Cornwall must have been aware of the approach of the Iranians, using her onboard sensors and those of the Lynx helicopter which was on the scene at the time. Yet apparently no effort was made, either by the heavily armed warship or the Lynx, usually armed at this time with light and heavy machineguns, to protect their sailors or prevent their capture. I know that the Marines would have hated to have given up, and would only have done so because they were directed to by their own commanders. This is another example of this Government’s willingness to commit our people to dangerous operations without the backbone or even the means to back them up.

PAUL HEAD, Portland, Dorset

Sir, What precisely, I wonder, were the MoD’s rules of engagement for one of Her Majesty’s highly armed warships operating legally in international waters, and for its Royal Marine detachment operating close by in patrol boats, when intercepted by Iranian forces? WILLIAM PENDER, Salisbury Times on line

I asked the same thing about ROE.

Edited by Aztec Warrior

I would like to see that interview. Do you know if it's on-line? Just a coincidence. I'm sure the British didn't call the RG's and arrange some sort of conspiracy.

Yea, I would like to hear more about that too. I am sure it is just a coincidence though.

All I have found so far was this bit:

"A reporter from The Independent interviewed Leading Seaman Turney on HMS Cornwall the day before she was captured. She spoke of her love for her job and for her three year old daughter, and how she misses seeing her daughter growing up while she is at sea. "

SOURCE

AND THIS bit HERE

Hey.. just found this.. you can send your messages of support HERE

EDIT!! I think I found something.. not the video though

Titled:

In her own words: the female sailor held captive in Iran

An exclusive interview with Faye Turney, hours before she was seized

READ FROM HERE on THE INDEPENDENT

Edited by Cinders

I watched the news on tv last night and her interview was part of the top story.

ive had a quick look at thier web page but cant see anything, but have a look for your self. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/video_and_audio/default.stm

Im living in Finland at the moment so im sure i get the european version. but hey email them and ask for it.

i still have a fishy feeling about it.

if this dosent kick start the war my feeling was incorrect,

but if it does and the public are shouting "yeah give it to them they kidnapped our soliders" then i think my feeling will be correct.

but who really knows.

bush is nowhere on this issue...he's got so many internal problems at the white house ...he might not even know about this?...