Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

blair says no to apology

chemical-licker

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/26032007/344/slav...logy-blair.html

No slave trade apology from Blair

Tony Blair has refused to bow to demands to apologise for Britain's role in the slave trade, expressing instead "deep sorrow and regret" for the suffering it caused.

Britain's first black archbishop, Dr John Sentamu, had earlier joined calls for the Prime Minister to "go a bit further" than such expressions of regret.

But Mr Blair - in a video message recorded for a major event in Ghana to mark the 200th anniversary of Britain passing an abolition law - stopped short of a full apology.

He said the legislation, pushed through Parliament by William Wilberforce, had begun the process of ending "one of the most shameful enterprises in history.

"So it is right that this anniversary is being marked today here in Ghana's Elmina Castle, the scene of such inhuman abuse, and in cities across the UK in Liverpool, Hull, Bristol and London, which played their role in this deplorable trade.

"It is an opportunity for the United Kingdom to express our deep sorrow and regret for our nation's role in the slave trade and for the unbearable suffering, individually and collectively, it caused."

Dr Sentamu, the Archbishop of York, told the BBC he wanted to see Mr Blair give a formal apology.

"I think this should happen," he said. "Britain is our community and this community was involved in a very, very terrible trade. Africa as a community was involved in a very terrible trade, the Church as a community was involved in a terrible trade. It is really important that we own up to what was collectively done."

Meanwhile, an angry protest from members of a black African campaign group greeted a high-profile church ceremony marking 200 years since the abolition of the slave trade in Bristol

But as hundreds of people, inclusing the Duchess of Gloucester, took their seats inside Bristol Cathedral, about 30 members of Operation Truth 2007 gathered outside, carrying placards and chanting "not in our name."

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Hill

• __Kratos__

• explorer

• generalcustard

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WTF why should blair apologise for the slave trade that happened, wasn't like he made it happen. if it wasn't for the white people genocide would be fashionable. UNBELIEVABLE!

Their getting us back big time by doing nothing using this as an excuse for not working and poncing off the the government. its going to cause alot of friction.

Edited by generalcustard

No seriously... what century are we in?

Ok, I want all the Norse to appologize for the Viking raids on Ireland.

*taps food* Well? I'm waiting!!

...bloody get real. Those responcible for slavery are long dead, as are those kept as slaves. "The sins of the father" thing need not apply here...

Well if the Brits say they're sorry for having black slaves, will the Africans say they're sorry for having over a million white slaves that were mainly captured from ships? Hmmmm???

I agree with everything that has been said, why the hell should Blair have to apologise for something he didn't have anything to do. Even worse I'm watching BBC news as they have some woman demanding reparations being interviewed right now blaming slavery for the fact black people are in gangs today.......

1. How the hell does she think she's entitled to anything because of her great-great-great-great-great grandparents might have suffered (I say ‘might’ because most black people here came from Africa in the last century through their own free will and were at no time slaves of the UK despite using it to play up sympathy at every opportunity)

2. Fine, if she wants reparations then I want them too. Celts used to rule all of Europe, then the Roman Empire wiped most of us out - I want Italy to pay money to every person in Scotland, Wales and Ireland for the suffering we have to endure at no longer ruling the continent. Also after the Uk was formed 300 years ago, England banned Scottish culture and used its army to kill any Scot who spoke Gaelic, wore a kilt or played bagpipes - I want the English to pay every Scot for this outrage. Also I want compensation for Wales and Scotland from England for every time England invaded us over the last few thousand years. Oh and Germany should pay the entire of Europe for those world wars. Oh and... etc etc etc Its only fair.

3. Why do we never here about the African role in slavery, just the western one? Westerners did not make up slavery and introduce it to Africa - Africans had used slavery as part of their culture for hundreds of years - they introduced it to us. When we arrived the first thing Africa did was bring out their slaves to trade. Now that doesn't mean it was okay to buy the slaves and take them to the Americas - however, it means this 'white man is to blame for everything' attitude we've had to put up with is complete b******s and our leaders don't have the backbone to point out to Africa its own role in slavery (which is still happening in parts of Africa because its part of their culture).

Given how much the west ploughs into Africa in aid I think we've paid more than enough to these ungrateful people.

I want Italy to pay money to every person in Scotland, Wales and Ireland for the suffering we have to endure at no longer ruling the continent.

I'm down with that!

I'm still waiting for England to apologise for enslaving Scotland. You know, come to think of it...I think that's why my life has been so terrible...because my people suffered under the brutal heel of the Brits all those years ago...yeah, it's got nothing to do with my lazyness or self-destructive path. It MUST be them! APOLOGISE dangnambit! Not only that, give me welfare and treat me better than everyone else! YEAH!

PS. Why is it only considered slavery if you're black?

And custard goes and does something to invoke the godwin law... ;P

I agree with everything that has been said, why the hell should Blair have to apologise for something he didn't have anything to do. Even worse I'm watching BBC news as they have some woman demanding reparations being interviewed right now blaming slavery for the fact black people are in gangs today.......

1. How the hell does she think she's entitled to anything because of her great-great-great-great-great grandparents might have suffered (I say ‘might’ because most black people here came from Africa in the last century through their own free will and were at no time slaves of the UK despite using it to play up sympathy at every opportunity)

If we all had black slaves or something for a year and then give them up... Then we can feel bad and guilty. :P Till then there isn't any reason to say you're sorry for something that you didn't do.

Not sure how that works either. Some people just want to complain and while they ask for money from the government people who support her idea give her money to support her. Pretty sweet deal actually for just cursing out people all day and getting paid for it.

2. Fine, if she wants reparations then I want them too. Celts used to rule all of Europe, then the Roman Empire wiped most of us out - I want Italy to pay money to every person in Scotland, Wales and Ireland for the suffering we have to endure at no longer ruling the continent. Also after the Uk was formed 300 years ago, England banned Scottish culture and used its army to kill any Scot who spoke Gaelic, wore a kilt or played bagpipes - I want the English to pay every Scot for this outrage. Also I want compensation for Wales and Scotland from England for every time England invaded us over the last few thousand years. Oh and Germany should pay the entire of Europe for those world wars. Oh and... etc etc etc Its only fair.

On that topic... I miss your signature. Made me smile when I saw it. :D

Though if you want to start a petition or something for that cause, I'll gladly sign it for you :lol:

3. Why do we never here about the African role in slavery, just the western one? Westerners did not make up slavery and introduce it to Africa - Africans had used slavery as part of their culture for hundreds of years - they introduced it to us. When we arrived the first thing Africa did was bring out their slaves to trade. Now that doesn't mean it was okay to buy the slaves and take them to the Americas - however, it means this 'white man is to blame for everything' attitude we've had to put up with is complete b******s and our leaders don't have the backbone to point out to Africa its own role in slavery (which is still happening in parts of Africa because its part of their culture).

Given how much the west ploughs into Africa in aid I think we've paid more than enough to these ungrateful people.

Because that would mean that the white devil wasn't totally at fault. That would mean that any guilt of what generations ago might have felt is suppose to be passed on to the modern people. Then it couldn't also be their own people's fault either for selling others off and trading them.

If we count in aid to Africa, I think they owe some back. Something like a trillion dollars or something already pumped in there?

PS. Why is it only considered slavery if you're black?

Maybe it's kind of like that trademark thing or something that the jews have on the holocaust while everything else like Darfur is a genocide?

I don't think anyone should pay for the actions of their predecessors, let alone one's from a long dead empire.

However, there should be some exceptions...like the US' bombing of Nagasaki and Hiroshima. It's not like Germany and the Holocaust. That was a different government entirely. The same US government is still in power and should therefore offer an apology for killing hundreds of thousands of innocent Japanese.

Slavery still goes on around the world (cough) and yet certain people are still obsessed with what happened 200 yrs ago in the UK.

I mean, this Dr Sentamu, hardly bothers to highlight the current slavery happening in Africa. Oh because he has a dilemma.

How about instead of Blair apologizing why doesn't Dr Sentamu says a big thank you to william Wilberforce and the UK.

The first collection of countries in the history of the human race to outlaw slavery..yay...linked-image

linked-image

However, there should be some exceptions...like the US' bombing of Nagasaki and Hiroshima. It's not like Germany and the Holocaust. That was a different government entirely. The same US government is still in power and should therefore offer an apology for killing hundreds of thousands of innocent Japanese.

There's no reason to say sorry for defending yourself. Didn't they start the war by murdering thousands of US citizens in an unprovoked attack? :yes:

It would have costed tens of thousands of lifes anyways to invade the mainland instead of nuking them. Nuking them also got them to surrender.

I suppose you would also like the Allies to all say they're sorry for their role in the bombing of Dresden during WW2?

We can keep blaming the previous generations until we go all the way back to a poor old fish who wonders to itself ‘why did I even bothered crawling from the sea in the first place’.

We can keep blaming the previous generations until we go all the way back to a poor old fish who wonders to itself ‘why did I even bothered crawling from the sea in the first place’.

We could then blame the food source or predator that forced us onto land. :P

We could then blame the food source or predator that forced us onto land. :P

:lol: Oh yeah all the way to an amoeba! those imperial racist amoebas

So what's the cut off point for seeking recompense, reparation or apology? Does the crime have to happened in your own lifetime to have relevance to your personal morality? Should the Jews then desist from chasing down war criminals? The wealth obtained from black slave labour owned by whites still exists. Why does Blair avoid apology over slavery? For the same reason that PM Howard of Australia refuses to apologise over the Stolen Generations? Fear of legal liability? We may not have had a personal hand in our national disgraces, but we live in worlds that have benefited from them. And considering the wealth of white nations, we can easily afford to balance the books, financially at least.

My ancestors were French Huguenots who were kicked out in the 17th century for not being Catholic. Thousands upon thousands were displaced and executed. Maybe I should start getting all angsty at the French about it.

Oh wait that wouldn't do any good would it because IT WAS 300 YEARS BEFORE I WAS BORN AND THEREFORE MEANS SOD ALL TO MY LIFE OR ANYONE WHO IS ALIVE NOW.

ffs, sick of hearing about slavery. People should just be grateful it was abolished in the first place.

PS what's the point of demanding an apology? If you don't mean it, surely it's worthless.

Black archbishop-"Say sorry."

Blair-"I'm sorry."

Archbishop-"SOUND LIKE YOU MEAN IT!"

Blair-"I do."

Archbishop-"You don't."

Blair-"I doooo."

etc.

Oh yeah, who can forget when the Australians apologized to the aborigines.

How the rest of the world laughed linked-image

linked-image

How did the aboriginals repay Australia?

Yep, By laying claim to Perth. :lol:

Australians shocked after Aborigines lay claim to Perth

So what's the cut off point for seeking recompense, reparation or apology? Does the crime have to happened in your own lifetime to have relevance to your personal morality? Should the Jews then desist from chasing down war criminals?

Well if the people that did it are still alive sure by all means track them down. Though in this article, good luck tracking down someone that is around 230 years old or so.

The wealth obtained from black slave labour owned by whites still exists. Why does Blair avoid apology over slavery? For the same reason that PM Howard of Australia refuses to apologise over the Stolen Generations? Fear of legal liability? We may not have had a personal hand in our national disgraces, but we live in worlds that have benefited from them. And considering the wealth of white nations, we can easily afford to balance the books, financially at least.

So it's all about the wealth. Because some white countries are rich, it's all because of black labor. If that was the case well why isn't Africa a thriving place? They also used quite a lot of white slaves and other slaves back in the day. So because these nations are rich, they should just start handing out money like it's candy on halloween.

So white people have slaves, they should pay but the rest of the world has slaves nobody cares?

Tony Blair has decided to apologise to the aborigines.

linked-image

“Oh behalf of the British people, I’d like to apologise to the aboriginal people of Australia. 200 ys ago, we, the British people decided to dump our ‘undesirables’ and the criminal elements of our then society onto their beautiful land. Mere words cannot express how deeply sorry we are for the inconvenience and hardships endured by the poor innocent, law-abiding aboriginal people by this utterly selfish and thoughtless decision. er….Sorry.”

There's no reason to say sorry for defending yourself. Didn't they start the war by murdering thousands of US citizens in an unprovoked attack? :yes:

It would have costed tens of thousands of lifes anyways to invade the mainland instead of nuking them. Nuking them also got them to surrender.

I suppose you would also like the Allies to all say they're sorry for their role in the bombing of Dresden during WW2?

Well, Dresden held no military value. Period. It was one massive terror-tactic to kill morale. And the Japanese did not murder thousands of US citizens. The primary targets of Pearl Harbour were totally military. Nagasaki and Hiroshima...not so much.

Oh yeah, who can forget when the Australians apologized to the aborigines.

How the rest of the world laughed linked-image

linked-image

How did the aboriginals repay Australia?

Yep, By laying claim to Perth. :lol:

Australians shocked after Aborigines lay claim to Perth

A skywriter equals an official national apology? Hardly. Ah, who exactly was laughing? The BNP? Even if it had been official, what repayment would Aborigines owe Australia? The extent of native title was significantly restricted by Australian courts. But you think Aborigines should be eminently grateful?