Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

blair says no to apology

chemical-licker

I think that people with arrogant and cynical responds such as "why the hell should he apologize" and "should the Mongols apologize for the invasion eight hundred years ago, maybe?" blah blah, are completely missing the point of all this, which is learning from history.

Apologizing is perhaps to overdo it (what's the point?); but to claim that we today have no responsibilities of what has occurred long time ago is equally overdoing it. We do have a responsibily not to repeat such elements of history, and that doesn't come from ignoring facts.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Hill

• __Kratos__

• explorer

• generalcustard

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

linked-image

I question whether expecting an apology off someone that is only related to the actual perpetrators who are now dead by race and occupation is a little discriminative? Which then highlights a little contradiction in the whole purpose of apologising would serve.

I like the "blame it on the amoebas" idea. I think i'll use it :lol:

I personally feel that this recognition of what people went through during and as a result of the slave trade as something "shameful" and "regretable" actually shows deeper regards than what a simple apology would. Part of the meaning of regret is actually to be sorry. Its like sorry with an extra side serving of "it shouldnt of and i wish it hadnt happened", which sort of implicates the intention for it not to happen again.

Talk is cheap :tu:

All this apologising nonsense is just that!! And as everyone so rightly says, when so we blinking well stop apologising?

I think I'll end with a quote from A Town Called Malice

So stop apologising

for things we've never done

cos time is short

and life is cruel

and it's up to us to change

this Town called Malice....

I think that people with arrogant and cynical responds such as "why the hell should he apologize" and "should the Mongols apologize for the invasion eight hundred years ago, maybe?" blah blah, are completely missing the point of all this, which is learning from history.

Apologizing is perhaps to overdo it (what's the point?); but to claim that we today have no responsibilities of what has occurred long time ago is equally overdoing it. We do have a responsibily not to repeat such elements of history, and that doesn't come from ignoring facts.

No, their point is not to learn from history, but to contiue to use it as a crutch.

Surely it's just as prudent for the members of the black community who are demanding this apology to thank the British for introducing abolition. Who knows, without this move they might still be slaves nowadays.

Then they would be in no position to demand anything.

Surely it's just as prudent for the members of the black community who are demanding this apology to thank the British for introducing abolition. Who knows, without this move they might still be slaves nowadays.

Then they would be in no position to demand anything.

An unpopular viewpoint but like most unpopular viewpoints.. it's probably true.. :lol:

No, their point is not to learn from history, but to contiue to use it as a crutch.

Really now?

Funny how I can parallel what is being discussed in this thread and what you just said to the Holocaust.

Slavery still goes on around the world (cough) and yet certain people are still obsessed with what happened 200 yrs ago in the UK.

I mean, this Dr Sentamu, hardly bothers to highlight the current slavery happening in Africa. Oh because he has a dilemma.

How about instead of Blair apologizing why doesn't Dr Sentamu says a big thank you to william Wilberforce and the UK.

The first collection of countries in the history of the human race to outlaw slavery..yay...linked-image

linked-image

One of the few times i have to agree whit you Billyhill.

Really now?

Funny how I can parallel what is being discussed in this thread and what you just said to the Holocaust.

:blink: What did I say about the Holocaust?

I'm still waiting for England to apologise for enslaving Scotland. You know, come to think of it...I think that's why my life has been so terrible...because my people suffered under the brutal heel of the Brits all those years ago...yeah, it's got nothing to do with my lazyness or self-destructive path. It MUST be them! APOLOGISE dangnambit! Not only that, give me welfare and treat me better than everyone else! YEAH!

PS. Why is it only considered slavery if you're black?

Yup. And perhaps the Arabs can apologise for all the slaves they took from Africa (to say nothing of Persia, India, Spain, Cornwall, Ireland ).

PLUS George's new Shed is overlooking my garden and oppressing me. AND the Robertsons STILL havn't returned my Lawnmower.... and as a result I'm having to slave over the Lawn. It's SOOOOO unfair. I want reparations and a life of underserved leisure. :P

Oh... and some Tuna would be nice as well :D

Blair was RIGHT not to apologise. Unusual for him... but I guess he's got to do SOMETHING right from time to time, if only by accident.

Meow Purr