Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thar she blows! Dead whale explodes

Trinitrotoluene

TAIPEI - Residents of Tainan learned a lesson in whale biology after the decomposing remains of a 60-ton sperm whale exploded on a busy street, showering nearby cars and shops with blood and organs and stopping traffic for hours.

The 56-foot-long whale had been on a truck headed for a necropsy by researchers, when gases from internal decay caused its entrails to explode in the southern city of Tainan.

Residents and shop owners wore masks while trying to clean up the spilt blood and entrails. "What a stinking mess. This blood and other stuff that blew out on the road is disgusting, and the smell is really awful," a BBC News report quoted one Tainan resident as saying.

TRUCK CARRIES THE CORPSE OF SPERM WHALE

Taiwan Apple Daily via Reuters

The sperm whale was being carried by truck through Tainan.

The whale had died on Jan. 17 after it beached itself on the southwestern coast of the island.

Researchers at the National Cheng Kung University in Tainan said enough of the whale remained to allow for an examination by marine biologists.

Once moved to a nearby nature preserve, the male specimen -- the largest whale ever recorded in Taiwan -- drew the attention of locals because of its large penis, measured at some five feet, the Taipei Times reported.

Source: WARNING GRAPHIC PICTURE: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4096586 :WARNING GRAPHIC PICTURE

Lovely!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Travelling Man

• Trinitrotoluene

• Legatus Legionis

• crtDzyn

Gruesome yet educational, now they learned that Rotting corpse + Heat = KABOOM!!

You are aware that the story is three years old, right?

This was on the news when it happened, and several threads were made about it.

Three years ago.

Please try not to post such old news stories.

Thank you captain pretentious, I'm sure some people hadn't seen it (I hadn't and obviously neither had others). I'm sure the majority of this forum wasn't here three years ago. If we limited all items which had been discussed before, this forum as a whole would be rather quiet, wouldn't it ;)

Edited by Gavsto

It's common board "'Netiquette" to actually do a board search before posting something that is older than just a couple weeks old.

If we didn't, there would be millions of threads here - and there wouldn't be a thread more than four or five posts long - as new ones would be started every couple of days - or HOURS.

Oh, and to add spelling Nazi to my charges, "Captain Pretentious" should be capitalized as it is a proper noun.

Now we can return to our regularly scheduled rehash of a previously discussed topic... ;):P

i for one didn't actually heard about this story 3 years ago. 3years ago i only used my " former slow internet for research "

Thank you captain pretentious, I'm sure some people hadn't seen it (I hadn't and obviously neither had others). I'm sure the majority of this forum wasn't here three years ago. If we limited all items which had been discussed before, this forum as a whole would be rather quiet, wouldn't it ;)

spot on sir :tu: , i never saw this glad i have. if i was there i would of climbed into it, what an experience!

Whale goes boom. Fun for everyone.

This was on the news when it happened, and several threads were made about it.

Three years ago.

Please try not to post such old news stories.

Shucks....and there I was all ready to make a 'whale of a blast' joke...................