Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Modified sheep is 15% human

UM-Bot

user posted image rScientists have created the world's first human-sheep chimera - which has the body of a sheep and half-human organs. The sheep have 15 per cent human cells and 85 per cent animal cells - and their evolution brings the prospect of animal organs being transplanted into humans one step closer.

Professor Esmail Zanjani, of the University of Nevada, has spent seven years and £5million perfecting the technique, which involves injecting adult human cells into a sheep's foetus.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Daily Mail

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ToxicLogic

• Raptor

• dabomb665m

• Kalien

This is just wrong!! I understand the thoughts behind it, make it easier to get organs for transplant patients, but messing with nature like this is horrible! If God wanted sheep to be partly human, he would have made the sheep partly human. Who knows what the repercussions of this will be. What is next?!?!? You shouldn't mess with nature like this. I don't even wanna think about what this will bring in a few years. :no:

Who knows what the repercussions of this will be.

I think God will smite us for this! We ALL gona BURN!

Ultimately this kind of research will benefit mankind exceptionally. I think movies made it seem like this sort of thing is wrong. Nothing has actually happened yet to make this kind of research seem dangerous even though it seems that way.

Nothing has actually happened yet

Thats just it. YET. Something is gonna happen, and its not gonna be pretty. Even if it isn't a flock of angry half human half sheep, something is going to happen. Even if it is just mutating something to the point that it is just a comatose animal that we take body parts off of, it isn't right.

I'm sure some crappy movie producer is gonna make,

ATTACK OF THE MUTANT SHEEP.

Tagline: BAA-RY Dangerous.

Crossing the line apparently means nothing nowadays. Ba-ah-ah-ah-d scientists! Shame on you all for playing God.

This is just wrong!! I understand the thoughts behind it, make it easier to get organs for transplant patients, but messing with nature like this is horrible! If God wanted sheep to be partly human, he would have made the sheep partly human. Who knows what the repercussions of this will be. What is next?!?!? You shouldn't mess with nature like this. I don't even wanna think about what this will bring in a few years. :no:

What makes it wrong?

This kind of thing was bound to happen. People are desperate for organs. If you ,or someone close to you, has ever been on a waiting list for a life saving organ, you would not care where it came from. At least it's better than cloning humans just to "harvest" what they have like that movie "The Island." I don't like the idea of creating these weird half human things either, but I'm just saying there are some benefits to it, whether we like it or not. I'm sure they will eventually get to the point where they can just grow the organs in a jar, but until then this is what we have.

Yuck. Something about this really bothers me.

Is there any possibility that the sheep is going to develop a self-conscious level of intelligence? That would turn what is already very dubious science into a horror story.

one thousend times agreed!!

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::tu:

one thousend times agreed!!

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::tu:

While it is fantastic that they can do this, doesn't mean they SHOULD. It's scary that they are willing to do this, who is to say that a new genetic disease or disorder won't develop by mixing DNAs that does not happen naturally? I find this REALLY wrong.

I think it's great. We already harvest sheep for wool and meat, why can't we use their organs to help save a human life too?

If God wanted sheep to be partly human, he would have made the sheep partly human.

This kind of thinking truly is a burden to our advancement as a species, isn't it?

What makes it wrong?

If God had wanted humans to be able to harvest organs from sheep, he would've made the sheep naturally compatible. Don't think that I don't see the benefits in this, more people will get the organs they need, but I think that in the end, the negatives are going to outweigh the positives.

If God had wanted humans to be able to harvest organs from sheep, he would've made the sheep naturally compatible.

Are you assuming that we all believe God made sheep?

If God had wanted humans to be able to harvest organs from sheep, he would've made the sheep naturally compatible.

...and if god isn't real?

the negatives are going to outweigh the positives.

That's my point; without bringing religion in to it, what negatives?

So when should we expect the movie "Attack of the Sheepman" I'm hoping for a summer release

Are you assuming that we all believe God made sheep?

I'm not assuming $h*t. I am saying what I believe. And I believe that God made the sheep, and if he wanted us to be harvesting their organs, he would have made it so that they were compatible. Here, so I don't hurt your feelings, if sheep were here for us to harvest their organs we would be able to do it w/o mutating them. Is that better wording for you? <_<

That's my point; without bringing religion in to it, what negatives?

We could be left with sheep that are so mutated they are comatose, the organs that are transplanted beings that they have some sheep DNA could have an adverse effect on the recipient. There are a number of things that could be negative results from this w/o having to do with religion.

...if sheep were here for us to harvest their organs we would be able to do it w/o mutating them. Is that better wording for you? <_<

Not really, but you seem peeved. Sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean to attack you or anything. I was just poking at the logic you were using because, in my opinion, it's faulty and has caused many problems in the past.

Now we have both voiced our opinions :blush:

I'm not assuming $h*t. I am saying what I believe. And I believe that God made the sheep, and if he wanted us to be harvesting their organs, he would have made it so that they were compatible. Here, so I don't hurt your feelings, if sheep were here for us to harvest their organs we would be able to do it w/o mutating them. Is that better wording for you?

.You need to develop a thicker skin or some of the stuff that's inevitably comming your way in these discussions on UM will really get you angry.

We could be left with sheep that are so mutated they are comatose, the organs that are transplanted beings that they have some sheep DNA could have an adverse effect on the recipient. There are a number of things that could be negative results from this w/o having to do with religion.

Mutations? We're talking about genetic modification. These guys know what they're doing, everything will be tried and tested. I'm not saying it will be 100% risk-free, in fact I'll admit it's probable there could be isolated incidents where some thing does go wrong; but it wouldn't take long for the risks to be ironed out as more research takes place.

But take in to account the number of people dying because they don't find an organ donor in time...that can be solved.

Mutations? We're talking about genetic modification. These guys know what they're doing, everything will be tried and tested. I'm not saying it will be 100% risk-free, in fact I'll admit it's probable there could be isolated incidents where some thing does go wrong; but it wouldn't take long for the risks to be ironed out as more research takes place.

But take in to account the number of people dying because they don't find an organ donor in time...that can be solved.

Sorry, for my blow up. :blush:

Anywhos. Who is to say though that by adding human DNA to a sheep, that down the road it isn't gonna start mutating their original DNA or mutating the recipient? I don't disagree that by doing this, it will save tons of lives, that I applaud them for trying to do, but couldn' t they find a way to create organs w/o using foreign DNA too? And when they are harvesting theses organs, what happens to the sheep? Do they just kill them and go on with their lives? For a country that can do so many things, like go into space, why can't we figure out a way to get organs for these people w/o using animals?

Part human, part sheep, sounds like a politicians dream come true. :blink:

Sorry, for my blow up. :blush:

:tu:

Anywhos. Who is to say though that by adding human DNA to a sheep, that down the road it isn't gonna start mutating their original DNA or mutating the recipient?

Because it doesn't work like that, introducing foreign DNA isn't able to trigger mutations (correct me if I'm wrong, there could be a mechanism I'm unaware of, although I'm fairly certain). They often occur naturally through errors in replication or as the result of environmental factors. There isn't much point in me explaining, this link can do a much better job. -->Click<--. Although it is entirely possible that a mistake could be made while the genetic modification is taking place, in which case the effects would manifest immediately, rather than being something which pops up in the distant future. I'm fairly certain that they'll have the initiative to develop a method of checking that the organ is properly functioning before using it.

...but couldn't they find a way to create organs w/o using foreign DNA too?

The main problem with using animal organs is that they're rejected by the human body, the human recognizes the donor organ as being foreign and triggers an immune response to try and destroy it (this is something which can occur with human-human transplants aswell...it's also the reason why only suitable blood types can be transfused between different people). By altering certain genes you'll be able to avoid this all together, you'd trick both the donor organ and the recipient in to 'believing' they're all part of the same system, and so there would be no immune response. I'm not aware of any other ways to overcome this, because the problem does lie in the DNA. Maybe a great immunosuppressive drug could do the trick, but there would be far more problems created from that.

And when they are harvesting theses organs, what happens to the sheep? Do they just kill them and go on with their lives?

In a perfect world, this is where stem cells would be coming in to it. ;)

Edited by Raptor X7