Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Modified sheep is 15% human

UM-Bot

Part human, part sheep, sounds like a politicians dream come true. :blink:

lol....or a lonely farmboy....

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ToxicLogic

• Raptor

• dabomb665m

• Kalien

I totally don't like all of the weird things that humans are doing to EVERYTHING, i.e cloning, genetically modified foods, etc. But, unless you are a hardcore vegan, it's a little ridiculous to worry about the plight of the poor sheep. If you know anything about the food processing industry at all, you know that they waste NOTHING. I worked in a seafood processing plant for two years. Everything is used, and I mean everything. Even the "sawdust" from cutting frozen swordfish steaks is squeegied off the floor, boxed up, and sold to catfood companies. This is not done out of a "waste not, want not" mentality, but for profit. The side money from the sell of scrap alone covers overhead.

My point is this. They will not just take the organs and toss the rest of the sheep away. You better believe that if doctors and scientists start harvesting organs from sheep, the rest of that sheep will be sold off to so many processing plants it'll make your head spin. Think of the real shammy you use on your car. That nice leather jacket you ordered off of QVC. The wool in your sweater, blankets, carpets etc. The meat in your dog's food. The lanolin in your moisturizers and lotions.......etc. etc. etc.

In a perfect world, this is where stem cells would be coming in to it. ;)

Ahhh...But here raises another question. Stem cells from the recipient's DNA (I believe I read somewhere about scientist being able to do this, I may be wrong though) or stem cells from a fetus? Stem cells from the recipient's DNA I can go w/the fetus stem cells though....I guess that starts a whole other discussion.

So if we harvest these 15% human and 85% animal, sheep, and eat the meat, does that make us 15% cannibals? ;)

What would be the outcome if two sheep, one of each gender, mated? What would the offspring be like?

Would the amount of human DNA in the offspring decrease, increase, or stay the same? I wonder what other species of animals they're experimenting with like this?

The animal with DNA that most closely resembles human DNA is the pig. Wonder why they chose a sheep?

Ahhh...But here raises another question. Stem cells from the recipient's DNA (I believe I read somewhere about scientist being able to do this, I may be wrong though) or stem cells from a fetus? Stem cells from the recipient's DNA I can go w/the fetus stem cells though....I guess that starts a whole other discussion.

Somatic/adult stem cells are pluripotent, meaning they have the ability to develop many different cell types. Whereas embryonic stem cells are totipotent, able to become any type of cell. So depending on the need for them, embryonic stem cells would be the way to go (if you don't count the ethical issues, that is).

Some thing I don't understand in the debate against embryonic stem cell research, is the fact that such embryos would be created in labs using 'spare' sex cells. You wouldn't be taking the right to life away from them, because they aren't given that chance to begin with! They would just be sitting in a lab and studied for other purposes, or discarded.

So if we harvest these 15% human and 85% animal, sheep, and eat the meat, does that make us 15% cannibals? ;)

What would be the outcome if two sheep, one of each gender, mated? What would the offspring be like?

Would the amount of human DNA in the offspring decrease, increase, or stay the same? I wonder what other species of animals they're experimenting with like this?

The amount of human DNA should stay the same, provided the parents both have the same genes replaced.

If the father had 15% genes modified, and the mother had 15% of different genes modified, there would be the possibility of the offspring having 0-30% human DNA. Although I'm pretty sure that all sheep have the same set of genes modified.

The animal with DNA that most closely resembles human DNA is the pig. Wonder why they chose a sheep?

Because 15% of humans are already pigs?

The amount of human DNA should stay the same, provided the parents both have the same genes replaced.

If the father had 15% genes modified, and the mother had 15% of different genes modified, there would be the possibility of the offspring having 0-30% human DNA. Although I'm pretty sure that all sheep have the same set of genes modified.

Because 15% of humans are already pigs?

LOL!! :tu:

Some people are so naive!! I can't believe there are people out there who still say " if god created the universe he didn't mean for us to genetically modify DNA" - ITS THE MOST RIDICULOUS THING EVER! for one thing, that statement defies itself, it is really contradictory.

Also, if you are following a religion that says there is only black and white then you are no less of a sheep then the ones in this article!

Some people are so naive!! I can't believe there are people out there who still say " if god created the universe he didn't mean for us to genetically modify DNA" - ITS THE MOST RIDICULOUS THING EVER! for one thing, that statement defies itself, it is really contradictory.

Also, if you are following a religion that says there is only black and white then you are no less of a sheep then the ones in this article!

Are you calling me naive? How is it contradictory and how does it defy itself? Don't just write it, explain it.

Genesis 48:15

Then he blessed Joseph and said, "May the God before whom my fathers Abraham and Isaac walked, the God who has been my shepherd all my life to this day,

Edited by ToxicLogic

I believe God made man with the brains and free will to make technological advances in whatever manner best suits him. Whether this is a step in the right direction or the wrong direction is yet to be seen.

If it turns out to be the wrong direction, we've learned through our mistake.

I think it's a natural course as a result of man being curious and intelligent, both traits given to us by God.

How wrong is it to save the life of a human by killing a sheep

or does a being whose sole purpose is to mate and pass its DNA to the next generation equate to the being whose purpose is much more complex than the sheep

And If the sheep was to be killed for food, does this experiment spare it for examination and allow it to die of old age?

I believe God made man with the brains and free will to make technological advances in whatever manner best suits him. Whether this is a step in the right direction or the wrong direction is yet to be seen.

If it turns out to be the wrong direction, we've learned through our mistake.

I think it's a natural course as a result of man being curious and intelligent, both traits given to us by God.

Good point, good point.

To all you foolish people who think that humans are playing god, I have something to say. Humans created the idea of god, shock, thus god is our creation, and we can do anything we want because... god is not real. God is a way for humans to believe that evil will be punished and good will be rewarded.

It is about time that we start taking advantage of the genetic code. Too many great things are possible from this type of research.

BTW: To all who are saying,"OMG, mutant sheep, when will we create a monster."

I say, "stop letting movies and books rule your imagination."

To all you foolish people who think that humans are playing god, I have something to say. Humans created the idea of god, shock, thus god is our creation, and we can do anything we want because... god is not real. God is a way for humans to believe that evil will be punished and good will be rewarded.

It is about time that we start taking advantage of the genetic code. Too many great things are possible from this type of research.

Blahhh!!

Pooooh! The movies aren't getting to us. Its just the plain simple truth. You screw around with an animals DNA enough, its gonna start changing, for the good, or bad, that is to be seen.

...which would mean you were lonely...

no your sis was along.... :w00t: have a good one fb....

I believe this is so morally wrong. I believe it is a waste of time and money. I am so sickened by this. I would never surcome to having a sheep/human organ, ohhh.

Its makes me angrey that scientist believe they can play "god" or a creator of some time.

Isnt it these people who say we have come from NATURAL EVOULTION??? Well they are interferring with their own beliefs....

To all those who see this as morally acceptable.. Ditto.

Every human technology is unnatural.

Edited by jpjoe

I believe this is so morally wrong. I believe it is a waste of time and money. I am so sickened by this. I would never surcome to having a sheep/human organ, ohhh.

Its makes me angrey that scientist believe they can play "god" or a creator of some time.

Changing a few chemicals is morally wrong, "playing God"? Okay then.

So do you believe it's better to have people die on an organ donor waiting list than to receive a *gasp :o* animal organ?

Isnt it these people who say we have come from NATURAL EVOULTION??? Well they are interferring with their own beliefs....

That's such a non-sensical argument I don't even know where to begin refuting it. Some people consider logic as well as morals to be of higher importance than a contradictory belief system.

I believe it is a waste of time and money.

How is it a waste of time or money if it has the potential to save milions of human lives? I'm sure you wouldn't feel the same way about this if the life of someone you love were saved by this technology.

O.o That's such a random and ill-formed line of logic that I don't even completely understand what you mean by that. How could scientists who believe that humans came to exist as a result of "natural evolution" be turning their backs on the idea just because they're studying genetic modification? What do you expect them to believe? That humans came to exist as a result of genetic modification themselves? Oh yes, I forgot that prehistoric apes had that sort of technology :rolleyes: