Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does Maya calendar predict 2012 apocalypse?

UM-Bot

user posted image rWith humanity coming up fast on 2012, publishers are helping readers gear up and count down to this mysterious — some even call it apocalyptic — date that ancient Mayan societies were anticipating thousands of years ago.

Since November, at least three new books on 2012 have arrived in mainstream bookstores. A fourth is due this fall.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: USA Today

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• secondhand

• STIX

• jesspy

• SG7

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm....yet another artificial end-date for humanity. It didn't happen in 1000 AD (despite widespread belief) or 2000 AD and it won't happen now...unless enough people start believing in this nonsense to make it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I would state, though, that at the pace we are destroying our planet and producing weapons of mass destruction....our end-date is coming soon enough. If you want to worry about the end of the world there is no need to go searching for esoteric mystical dates.....just be rational and take a look around you.

Im egar for it just to come and go just to see what happens. Like on January 1st 2000 12:01 AM the world had the biggest sigh of relief, and you could feel that intense energy everywhere you went.

There's been speculation towards the end of the world for thousands of years, and we have yet to see any of these "prophecies" come true. Besides, the "apocalyptic" events that the Mayans apparently describe are nothing more than the changing of an era - moving into a new era of peace light, called the Golden Era.

well, I really shouldn't recommend you to take this prophecy as a joke. The 2000 thing was just a millenium, where christians calendar reached for the second 1000, nothing more. but mayans are an ancient civilization and their culture is full of mysteries. the year 2012 is a calculated year from the mayans calendar and it may be not so precise. and they did not call this a end of the world or apocalypse. We are facing the end of current cycle (or era) of this civilization. Many of us will die around this year, but some will stay alive and building a new and better world after this "apocalypse", or like Alienated Being said, Golden Era comes.

Actually, im really glad (if the prophecy comes true), that Earth gets finally clean of this dirt of modern humans.

But even Golden Era cant last forever, so history reapeats again, and again, and again...

If they're so great where are they now? Just because they're ancient doesn't mean they know anything. If the sun drops out of the sky in 2012 I'll doff my cap to them, until then I'll just keep yawning through all the regurgitated theories about their crappy calendar.

It is just a theory that they believed was true....nothing wrong with that if you ask me. Everyone has personally beliefs in something. I'm sure translation has made it seem like something mysterious...but also people take scriptures and try to manipulate them to make money off of them....Selling books makes money and people like to excite things up to get more books sales...ect.

It's easy to determine if this is an Apocalyptic date. The Mayan calendar last ended 5126 years ago, or around 3110BC (give or take a few years due to errors in our calendar)

Looking at the histories of the 31st and 32century BC, when this date would have fallen, there doesn't seem to be any cataclysmic events during that time.

So why should we think this cycle is any different?

Did you guys read the full article, which mentions how our sun somehow aligning with the center of the milky way on 12/11/12 at 11:11pm according to an astonomer? Supposedly that hasn't happened in 26,000 years. Kind of a big coincidence don't you think? Especially the numbers vs what the mayans predicted?

I have to admit I'm a bit skeptical about the world ending by the eve of 2013. I know some will exploit this for profit gain, just like it was done for the Y2K bug. My God, my mom purchased almost $500.00 worth of tomato soup just because of this Y2K scare. Let me tell you, two years of tomato soup meals later, I frown upon doomsday predictions.

like the yearly calendar. this must also be a cycle a calendar to keep us on the right track.

change in the nature of consciousness

like what? explain further. from Christ Consciousness to Cosmic Consciousness thingy?

Did you guys read the full article, which mentions how our sun somehow aligning with the center of the milky way on 12/11/12 at 11:11pm according to an astonomer? Supposedly that hasn't happened in 26,000 years. Kind of a big coincidence don't you think? Especially the numbers vs what the mayans predicted?

Actually the mayans based their calendar off of precise astronomical measurments... they used the arm of the milky way which can be seen in the night sky as a guidline for the galactic plane (who knows if they actually knew what a galaxy was) and the rising of the sun as well as the position of several planets and stars in order to create a calendar that was actually a galactic calendar not a solar calendar (what we use today, orriginating in ancient egypt)... they were off by only a tiny fraction of a second every year, a greater level of accuracy then has ever been achieved before the last couple hundred years. Their pyramids were actual observatories as well as places of ritual. The steps acted as a coordinate system for observing the movement of the stars and planets.

The Mayans are not the only ones who are calling 12/21/12 TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it). My own personal belief is that the Mayan calendar's ending is simply a way of saying time is no longer relevant - it may signify the end of time as we know it - it may be the date on which scientists figure out how to time travel, making linear time a thing of the past. The astrological alignment may be significant in this respect as well.

The History channel recently aired a fascinating program about this very thing. It was entitled Doomsday 2012 and profiled several other soothsayers who also believe 2012 will be the biggest event in human history. I don't think it is going to air again any time soon, but is available for purchase from the History channel's website. If you get a chance to see it, it is well worth the two hours -- whether you believe or not.

Its not THE end its the Begginning or something

In replying to the question yes it does predict something what i dont know

I believe something will happen in 2012 and whatever happens i hope we learn from it. My money if you are wondering is on a comet/asteroid either hitting earth or coming very very very close.

And regarding that whole milkyway alining thing appaerently our solarsystyem is orbiting the caentre of the galaxy (DUH! some say) well a scientist dude said that we pass through a certain area every 64 million years or so. He said if you go back through time there has been an extinction level event every 64million years mainly caused by asteroids. he says we go through like a gravity pull thing that brings alot of asteroids hurtling into the inner solarsystem hitting anything in their way and he said that it has happened again and again. Last extinction was 64 million years ago so its 64 million years later you know what that means .......look up

I dont know if these mayans predicted that but its a nice cowinkydink that their civillization sits in the creator left by the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs

also they had a pretty wicked lunar calendar and predicted lunar eclipses and such and their predictions are still comin true today. they also made a calendar for pregnancy which is accurate to

Edited by jesspy

like the yearly calendar. this must also be a cycle a calendar to keep us on the right track.

like what? explain further. from Christ Consciousness to Cosmic Consciousness thingy?

The mayans believe there were many levels of consciousness and that the level we experienced was relative to the position of the gods (planets and stars) and so when we reach 2012 the sun(father god) would be within the woom of the mother god (galactic arm) and consciousness would ascend to its purest level, being reborn again... something like that.

The mayans believe there were many levels of consciousness and that the level we experienced was relative to the position of the gods (planets and stars) and so when we reach 2012 the sun(father god) would be within the woom of the mother god (galactic arm) and consciousness would ascend to its purest level, being reborn again... something like that.

meaning?......... :hmm: is it all good? :huh:

meaning?......... :hmm: is it all good? :huh:

Meaning that... they knew there was an alignment between the sun and the galaxy and they thought that it would bring our consciousness into "a new light" so to speak... it wasn't the end of the world to them, it was a rebirth of it.

it may be the date on which scientists figure out how to time travel, making linear time a thing of the past.

Oh the irony :D

All i know is that in 2012 we have the olympics :huh:

I think something might happen, but something happens every year :P Just because a calender ends doesnt mean much to me although i am keeping a very open mind just incase :tu:

Jesus once said wen ask win the world would end, "The end of days is only know by the lord God, and is pointless to wander win it will be."

Edited by SG7

SG7 don't forget the other quote "the end will come like a thief in the night"

Isnt it "Jesus will come like a thief in the night"?

Isnt it "Jesus will come like a thief in the night"?

Its one of the two, but don't worry about the "End Days" wen it happens it happens. Tho in by belief you can stop it form happen all to gather. The end always come wen people start being bad, Not bad as in what we are doing now. It has to be much worries. So start being nice. :innocent:

Its not the apocalypse, it is indeed a shift up in consciousness/spiritually. The mayan calendars are surprisingly accurate, as they were adept skywatchers.

Since Ive talked about this on another forum, I'll just copy and paste of what i've learned weeks ago- (a lot easier than typing again, heh)

The Mayan's calendars are the most accurate calendars known to date. Theres about 22 of them each covering the different time cycles our planet goes through.

The Gregorian calendar along with many others are basically made for agricultural reasons while the Mayan calendar is meant more for our level of consciousness and synchronization with the universe.

"There are 260 different combinations of 20 different Day Lord Energies or "Sacred Sun Signs" (light energy sent by the Sun), and 13 different Galactic Energies or "Tones" sent as light frequencies from the Central Sun of our galaxy. The Central Sun of our galaxy is The One Giver of Movement and Measure.

Each of the Day Lords — or "Sacred Sun Signs" — has a personality and each of the Galactic Energies — or "tones" — have a purpose or intent. This combination gives each day a "personality" and "intent." By following the days on the Mayan calendar, you become entrained or synchronized with the natural cycles that are timed by this calendar. Thus your time becomes more natural and less mechanical. No sweat, no strain, just flow of attention on what day it is."

With this, we can notice "patterns"-similar actions and interests among humans as we're all in synchronization.

The pattern of creation described by the calendar is like a pyramid with 9 levels (also being a pyramid meaning that each cycle above is shorter than the last)

The First level, beginning 16.4 billion years ago(Cellular cycle)

The Second level, beginning 820 million years ago(Mammalian cycle)

the third level , i.e., 41 million years ago is the Family level(family relationships).

The fourth level, i.e., 2 million years ago, is the Tribal level (Homo Sapiens/tools).

The fifth level, i.e., 102, 000 years ago is the Cultural level (agriculture/religion).

The sixth level, i.e., 5, 116 years ago is the National level (sovereign nations/laws).

The seventh level, i.e., 1755 AD is the planetary level (internet/global economy).

The eighth level, January 4, 1999, is the Galactic level (ethical considerations).

And the ninth level, i.e., December 21, 2012 is the Universal level (conscious co-creation).

quoted information here

http://www.2012.com.au/Our%20future-Mayan%20calendar.html

But the calendar comes to an end at the 13th Baktun (one of the terms used in their counting)

-in2012.

What is so special about this date? Its an Astronomical anomaly!

the Mayan' Sacred Tree depicts the planes of the Underworld and the sky with that of the terrestrial realm--The crossing point of the ecliptic with the band of the Milky Way

Here are some charts for December of 2012

linked-image

The Milky Way goes from the lower <myspace><myspace><myspace>right</myspace></myspace></myspace> to the upper <myspace><myspace><myspace>left</myspace></myspace></myspace>, and the dashed/dotted line shows the Galactic Equator.

The planets trace roughly a horizontal path through the chart

The sun here, is dead center.

linked-image

This is a 5 degree span~

Just 1 day off would put the sun at a noticeably different distance from the crossing point. This day is the crossing point of the galactic equator and the ecliptic, and also the winter solstice. --what the ancient Maya recognized as the Sacred Tree

Lets just start with all this...lol

To pinpoint this day exactly, is amazing if you ask me.

**also researching about the mayan sacred tree, it shows our milky way and the ecliptic line, which ties in together with the alignment.

when I was abducted for the 5th time in Feb. of 1994, the aliens revealed to me the end of the world will not come in my lifetime. they didn't tell me when it would happen, they just told me not yet.

So apparently the Solar System passes through the centre of the galaxie every 64m years? Pretty cool if it does but it dosnt make much sense to me :huh: i heard that the centre of the galaxie holds a HUGE Black Hole, i got that from THIS website. Plus if the solar system moves, how does all of the stars seem to stay in the same place? does everything revolve around the galaxie like the planets with the solar system? Weird! lol