Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Mystery Pit of Oak Island

conspiracysrus

over two hundred years ago a young man named Daniel McGinnis was walking along an island when he discovered a large dimple in the ground and a block and tackle set up hanging from a tree. he came to the conclusion that someone had been digging there and set about it with a shovel and a couple of pals. that was in the summer of 1795.

we still have no idea whats down there after all this time even though contractors have used heavy digging equippment and drilling tools, there are many suggestions as to what may lie in the "money pit" kaptain kidds gold,black beards gold, inca gold , francis bacons manuscrpts or even old gun powder.

noone knows!!

http://www.unmuseum.org/oakisl.htm

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• conspiracysrus

• BurnSide

• Aztec Warrior

• Foxe

I'd never heard of this before, but i just spent well over an hour researching it and reading the link and wikipedia page etc. Thank you very much for sharing! It's definitely a mystery. Although with todays technologyyou'd think we should be able to excavate well over 200 feet and solve the flooding issue without any problems.

theres a guy named oakster who does work on decrypting the text and the islands.... search for some of his older posts

There was a novel written about it a few years back. Riptide by Douglass Preston and Lincoln Child.

i was hoping that maybe someone would know what the latest news was :( most of what ive read is old stuff and as burnside says it shouldnt be a problem with 2days technology ?

if weve put a man in space ? i mean whats the deal?

The issue now, from what i have read, is that the Island is now privately owned property, with several different sections owned by different property groups. There is an ongoing legal battle to determine who owns the exact location of the original Money Pit... unfortunately, the location of the original Pit has also been lost.. so it's at abit of a stalled stalemate.

i remember reading about that some years ago cant remember the whole story but wasnt there a mystery about some much smaller tunnels that were found as they dug down and broke through wooden boards. sorry i know that sounds vague but it was easily ten years ago i read about it. it was in some mysteries book i bought :unsure:

well thats just dandy :rolleyes:

who on earth has got the rights? why cant the goverment say that this is a national treasure site and just get the stuff out of there? what are the laws regarding treasure trove in canada? sorry with the questions already.

i just cant see why its took so §$%&/(() LONG!!!

...why cant the goverment say that this is a national treasure site

Quite probably because there's absolutely squat evidence that it is a national treasure site. The stories of the original finding of the site and the early excavations are only brought to us by heresay half a century and more after the event. The truth is that there's no reason to suppose that McGinnis or the Onslow Company found anything that we believe are integral parts of the story.

you seem to know a fair deal about this foxe, why do you say that theres no evidence ? there are the tunnels and the timber platforms and the story isnt that far out there.

those companies wouldnt have created a road just on heresay.

i bet theres nothing down there either, but id like to know all the same one way or another.

I have followed this story for years, and I read Riptide. Excellant book.

Right now, with the land disputes and undermined location of the exact pit.........nothing is happening. Also, the island is apparently dangerous with numerous pits dug all over the place. I'll see if I can dig up anything new.

Danny Hennigar of the Oak Island Tourism Society states that "I received official word that a group of partners from Michigan, USA, have bought out half the shares to Oak Island Tours Incorporated formally owned by David Tobias for an undisclosed amount of money. Dan Blankenship remains a 50% owner in Oak Island Tours so therefore, we once again have a 50/50 ownership situation."

Allan Kostrzewa who bought David Tobias' lot 25 for $230, 000 over a year ago, is a partner of the "Michigan Group".

The new owners will be undertaking a treasure hunting operation which may begin as early as June. Hennigar reveals that "the plans include cleaning out of Borehole 10X and other operations far from the traditional Money Pit area."

So begins the next stage chapter in the exciting Money Pit Mystery of Oak Island...

link

Source

Edited by Aztec Warrior

this june aztec?

please keep me informed as too the operations success. (if you can remember)

meanwhile ill look for the book that kidd mentioned too.

thanx showbiz chums. :tu:

this june aztec?

please keep me informed as too the operations success. (if you can remember)

meanwhile ill look for the book that kidd mentioned too.

thanx showbiz chums. :tu:

That was supposed to be last June, but nothing further appears in the news or on the website. Couldn't find Michigan Group in a simple search.

you seem to know a fair deal about this foxe, why do you say that theres no evidence ? there are the tunnels and the timber platforms and the story isnt that far out there.

those companies wouldnt have created a road just on heresay.

i bet theres nothing down there either, but id like to know all the same one way or another.

The thing with the timber platforms and the coconut matting and whatnot is that they have never been seen by any reliable witness. They were supposedly "found" during the early excavations by the Onslow Company in the opening years of the 19th century, but the first mentions of them can only be found in two newspaper reports from the late 1850s. The two reports were both written by people who had supposedly seen the money pit at around the same time, but they differ wildly in their descriptions of what they saw. For example, one of them states that he saw the original marks left by the excavators' tools, but the other claims that the sides of the pit were shored up with wood and could not be seen. They differ dramatically in their estimation of the size of the hole, and they differ in their statements about the depths at which the timber platforms (which neither of them had seen) were found. Add these contradictions to the fact that both pieces were written during a massive fundraising drive and you can see why their credibility is in great doubt.

The tunnels too are shrouded in doubt. There is no evidence that they connect with the money pit, and there is some controversy over their discovery.

One of the sad things about the Oak Island saga is the way in which these early fundraising reports have been believed, and their contents have been reproduced time and time again in books and articles, and all the while they have created enough excitement to keep people investing in the excavation of what may be nothing more than a natural sink-hole anyway. Why do you think that no serious archaeological, historical, or engineering body has touched Oak Island, preferring instead to leave it to the eager treasure hunters?