Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

British Soldiers Cashing in on Story

IronGhost

Storm in UK as freed sailors sell stories to media

By Adrian Croft

Reuters

Sunday, April 8, 2007; 11:07 AM

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's Defence Ministry came under fire on Sunday for allowing 15 sailors and marines held by Iran for 13 days to sell their stories to the media.

The ministry said it had waived rules barring serving military personnel from selling their stories because of huge public interest in the case. "These are considered to be exceptional circumstances," a ministry spokeswoman said.

Some popular British newspapers pay people for their sensational stories to boost sales. The spokeswoman said the 15 would be able to keep fees which press reports estimated could total as much as 250,000 pounds ($493,500).

Full story: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7040800263.html

I guess this is causing a real firestorm in the U.K. Think it's okay to sell their story to the tabs?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Hill

• StoneAgeQueen

• Bob26003

• Syd Boggle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Leaves a strange taste in the mouth.. not sure if it's a bad one yet.

But as Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says... look at the West, the UK, they only care about money and they send a woman/mother into battle.

Looks like the soldiers ex-hostages are still proving him right.

Edited by billyhill

Leaves a strange taste in the mouth.. not sure if it's a bad one yet.

But as Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says... look at the West, the UK, they only care about money and they send a woman/mother into battle.

Looks like the soldiers ex-hostages are still proving him right.

If they sent the woman into battle that would be slavery, so he is not right. She went of her own accord, because she wanted to. That's the beauty of the west, having the freedom of choice :) Are you saying you agree with him that this woman should not have been given the choice to go to battle?

If they sent the woman into battle that would be slavery, so he is not right. She went of her own accord, because she wanted to. That's the beauty of the west, having the freedom of choice :) Are you saying you agree with him that this woman should not have been given the choice to go to battle?

well, In my humble opinion there is an element of selfishness there.. she should have been at home looking after her baby but was off playing 'look at me' feminist soldiers. Looks bad...

The ministry said it had waived rules barring serving military personnel from selling their stories because of huge public interest in the case. "These are considered to be exceptional circumstances," a ministry spokeswoman said.

lol, yeah the millitary allways bends over backwards to satisfy "public interest" in its affairs. This event is a good peice of propaganda for them to milk.

I am very please the hostages were returned safely but thats pretty much where my interest ends.

well, In my humble opinion there is an element of selfishness there.. she should have been at home looking after her baby but was off playing 'look at me' feminist soldiers. Looks bad...

LMAO!! :w00t: Wow I didn't know people like you still existed!

LMAO!! :w00t: Wow I didn't know people like you still existed!

I'm the one to bring balance to the force..

I'm unapologetically male... unlike say, the hostages who couldn't stop apologising.. :lol: 'sorry, we were in the Iran waters sorry'

They may not have been cowards but there certainly there wasn't any 'heroism' in this story.. Yet some of them have been offered 100,000 grand for their story.

I'm the one to bring balance to the force..

I'm unapologetically male... unlike say, the hostages who couldn't stop apologising.. :lol: 'sorry, we were in the Iran waters sorry'

They may not have been cowards but there certainly there wasn't any 'heroism' in this story.. Yet some of them have been offered 100,000 grand for their story.

Well I agree with you that they should not be allowed to sell their stories. What about people that have been in the front line in Iraq, what makes the sailors more deserving of money than them? The officials say that the story is a unique one and needs to heard, maybe so but there's no need for them to get all this money for it.

Of course their gonna let the sailors sell their "story"

Hell, what a great opportunity for some grade A War Drumming

"Oh it was horrible! They put us all in a room with no cable TV and forced us to eat nasty Iranian food! Those monsters!"

"Oh it was horrible! They put us all in a room with no cable TV and forced us to eat nasty Iranian food! Those monsters!"

Well actually they blindfolded them, lined them up against the wall and cocked their guns at them. I doubt you would have been fearless.

Having served in the Armed Forces for many years, i believe that allowing the army to have a transparency with the media so serves as a sign of weak leadership of military commanders, i assume the political pressure from downing street was behind this...

But i must agree with a previous comment regarding Female Soldiers, i dont believe women have any place on the battle field, i believe their neuro pathways are relatively inefficient and take longer to become established in high-level battle....

Women are welcome to serve in designated safe zones, such as nurses & cooks, or just making tea...

Edited by lord scrummage

Having served in the Armed Forces for many years, i believe that allowing the army to have a transparency with the media so serves as a sign of weak leadership of military commanders, i assume the political pressure from downing street was behind this...

But i must agree with a previous comment regarding Female Soldiers, i dont believe women have any place on the battle field, i believe their neuro pathways are relatively inefficient and take longer to become established in high-level battle....

Women are welcome to serve in designated safe zones, such as nurses & cooks, or just making tea...

Yes I can see how that would have been the common opinion in your day.. but thankfully most people have moved on from that mentality. :)

And by the way, it's Neural pathways ;)

Edited by StoneAgeQueen

Yes I can see how that would have been the common opinion in your day.. but thankfully most people have moved on from that mentality. :)

If what you mean, is in my day the wars we were involved in were justified! (I served in the Falklands & in ireland plus various peace keeping missions in global hotspots)

If you mean in my day when Men & women knew their place & devorce was rare

if you mean in my day when the streets of london were safe, by enforcment of discipline & respect

if you mean in my day when an employee could'nt sleep their way in to promotion

Unfortunately in MY Day "stoneage" things were simple

In this new-age, things are so mixed up, people dont know who they are or what to believe in.....The english army's morale is on the floor....

The streets of london are over-ran by hoodies talking in jamaican accents ( and i refering to the white hoodies in this case) its a joke

Edited by lord scrummage

Well actually they blindfolded them, lined them up against the wall and cocked their guns at them. I doubt you would have been fearless.

Mmm, and yet they were seen smiling, playing games, shaking hands...

If what you mean, is in my day the wars we were involved in were justified! (I served in the Falklands & in ireland)

If you mean in my day when Men & women knew their place & devorce was rare

if you mean in my day when the streets of london were safe, by enforcment of discipline & respect

if you mean in my day when an employee could'nt sleep their way in to promotion

Unfortunately in MY Day "stoneage" things were simple

In this new-age, things are so mixed up, people dont know who they are or what to believe in.....The english army's morale is on the floor....

The streets of london are over-ran by hoodies talking in jamaican accents ( and i refering to the white hoodies in this case) its a joke

I don't deny that things are bad now.. but your attitude towards women is wrong. Nobody has a place that they have to be. Everyone is an individual. Forcing people to be in traditional roles would not solve the problem.

My father was in the RUC for many years, he got his lifetime service medal recently. he also served in the UDR.

Could they also polish boots for the men? -- and clean latrines? Think their neural pathways could handle the load?

Im sorry that some people, with their Uber modernism mentality, cannot accept that there are other valid opionions around which are more traditional.

Just because your opinion is modern, doesnt make it correct...

I think a womans place in the world, isnt in the mens place & vice versa....

and my opinion is fixed, women shouldnt play footy,rugby or cricket...shouldnt fire guns, or drive lorries....

ofcourse, men shouldnt cook, design fashion, nurse or write children books!

its all very simple, even my good wife agrees...although shes says she could drive a lorry!! (i think shes joking though)

Edited by lord scrummage

And just because your opinion is traditional, doesn't make it right either ;). But that's not the case here of course. I don't think they should sale their "story". I suppose if I said that I didn't believe it I would be a terrorist sympathizer :rolleyes:, but Oh well, i'll say it anyway. I don't believe their story one bit. Well, maybe they was kept in isolation and interrogated, that part i'll believe. But being so fresh out of a hostage situation, why would they have to read from cards what happened? But kudo's to them anyway. 200,000 pounds for a single story. More than the military would have ever paid them I'm sure.

As I remember some of the American hostages held in the US Embassy in Iran wrote books on their experiences. And so has some of the hostages held by Hizbollah in Lebanon in the 1970's and 1980's.

Im sorry that some people, with their Uber modernism mentality, cannot accept that there are other valid opionions around which are more traditional.

I think a womans place in the world, isnt in the mens place & vice versa....

and my opinion is fixed, women shouldnt play footy,rugby or cricket...shouldnt fire guns, or drive lorries....

its all very simple, even my good wife agrees...although shes says she could drive a lorry!! (i think shes joking though)

Woman are People too, they have just as much right to fire a gun and play rugby and cricket as you do..............

And the best Chef's in the World are Men........ I love to cook. And are you saying Dr. Suess should'nt have written books?

Maybe you should move to Afganistan. The Taliban is probably looking for recruits.

Edited by Bob26003

I agree, recently under Blair’s government, the armed forces have become increasing pc.

Too much of this

linked-image

and this

linked-image

I can't help but think that maybe, this type of mentality might have had a bearing on the UK/IRAN hostage crisis.

Now, if the Iranians had encountered a standard US armed unit, such as the one below.. I'm sure they wouldn't have been taken hostage.

linked-image

A Short One Act Play

By IronGhost

THE SCENE: BATTLEFIELD OF IRAQ

John: Hey, Bob! Look over there! Terrorists! Let’s use our superior male neural pathways to kill them!

Bob: Say no more, John! My testosterone-soaked neural pathways are aching for a good terrorist kill!

Blam! Blam! Blam! Blam!

John: Nice shooting, Bob! Your hand-to-eye coordination fueled by your male neural pathways took out those terrorists like they were a bunch of femmy pansies!

MEANWHILE, BACK AT THE BASE

Sally: Hurry it up, Margaret! We’ve got to finish cleaning these toilets and then get the tea ready for Bob and John. I’ll bet they’re going to be starving after a day of defending the homeland!

Margaret: I’m sorry I’m so slow with this toilet brush, today, Sally. It’s my darn neural pathways! They just can’t keep up the demand of swirling in a circular motion around the bowl while I also think about what kind of tea to get ready for the men.

Sally: Stop complaining! You should thank God that you have been built with a snail-slow neural system -- how would you like to be out in one of those foxholes right now, shooting terrorists!

Margaret: Of course, you’re right again, Sally. I should be happy that I just have excellent pelvic bones, perfect for bearing children!

Sally: That’s the ticket, Margy! Also -- just think, those 15 British sailors probably would never have been taken hostage by Iran if they didn’t have a girl with them! I bet it was her slow neural reactions that held up the rest of the men, and resulted in their capture!

Margaret: I suppose you’re right. I just tired and cranky. It’s that time of month, you know. I need some yogurt and an estrogen tablet!

Sally: Yes, that time of month. That’s why a woman should never become President of the Unites States. Everyone knows all women “go crazy” once a month!

MEANWHILE, BACK AT THE FRONT

John: Hey, Bob, what do you think Margaret and Sally are cooking up back at the base?

Bob: Who knows -- but, I’ve been thinking. Why can’t they wear make-up high heels while they get their domestic chores done? Just because they have to clean toilets, can’t they look good for us while they’re doing it?

John: Bob, Bob, Bob -- you realize, of course, that the very limited female neural pathway design limits them from doing or thinking about too many things at once!

Bob: I suppose. Well, at least in Saudi Arabia they do things right. They don’t let women drive cars, for example. I mean, the neural pathway of the female just can’t generate the coordination to drive a car safely!

John: Good point, Bob!

Bob: Come on, let’s get out of here. Let’s go back and see our little honeys back at the base!

John: Tally Ho!

THE END

Phht... Screw that. I'm not going to be a chained woman... barefoot and pregnent in the kitchen. And my hubby treats me as an equal.

But I see how it is. First we praise the soldiers for "defending our freedoms", then we pull a 180 and discredit them and our freedoms by saying who can and who cannot defend them.

Why?