Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Sin now, Forgive/Repent later"

MUM24/7

Hi,

I've been thinking about this premise for a while now and was of the impression that, as long as Christians/Jews/Muslims etc truly repented and asked for forgiveness for their sins, is that enough to go straight to Heaven when they die ??

Are some sins more forgivable than others and if so, which ones ??

What are your thoughts ??

Thanks..... :)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MUM24/7

• IamsSon

• Radian

• Beckys_Mom

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, from the Christian standpoint the "formula" is repent of your sins, acknowledge that Jesus died to pay the price for your sins, and seek to live the rest of your life being as much like Jesus as you can while maintaining an active, growing spiritual relationship with God.

From God's perspective all sin is sin because it is not the act so much as the intent behind it, to do something you know is not right, to decide to do what is not the right thing to do.

Well, from the Christian standpoint the "formula" is repent of your sins, acknowledge that Jesus died to pay the price for your sins, and seek to live the rest of your life being as much like Jesus as you can while maintaining an active, growing spiritual relationship with God.

From God's perspective all sin is sin because it is not the act so much as the intent behind it, to do something you know is not right, to decide to do what is not the right thing to do.

looks like you beat me to it... perfectly said... :tu:

Edited by thaphantum

Hi,

I've been thinking about this premise for a while now and was of the impression that, as long as Christians/Jews/Muslims etc truly repented and asked for forgiveness for their sins, is that enough to go straight to Heaven when they die ??

Are some sins more forgivable than others and if so, which ones ??

What are your thoughts ??

Thanks..... :)

It's wrong IMO for anyone to USE God or Jesus...(depending ow you see God)..........as a tool..an as and when you like...sin now..but dont worry you can repent later, as long as you wear a lable, you are home free

Some use a faith as a way to look down on others, they seem to think, that faiths in God are meant for this....

I believe if you have led a good life...God who is ALL KNOWING will understand if you find it herd to belive in him or not....he created the mind..he knows how it works...but he can push aside a disbelief and look at the GOOD someone has done

I cannot speak for God...no one can...therefore i cant say..someone will be punished either, I think that's up to God

Those that follow Jesus...know fine well Jesus preached forgiviness...he forgave those that didnt belive in him...he forgave a lot of things....................to me that says - you DONT have to be a follower, to be accepted...thats what i take from it

I believe Christ is all forgiving whatever the sin committed and regardless of how many times, Christ will forgive. I don't think he ever said one sin was worse than the other, except for the "unforgivable sin." but, Ultimately, Christ knows the heart of man & it's heart that leads to forgiveness, I don't necessarily believe in words saving anyone without true piety, or intentions.

I would disagree with my father on this one the issue: 'Once saved always saved in Christ.' I couldn't grasp that . I would *think* that if you are always "saved" then whatever you chose to do you are already forgiven- it seems to me like there is advantage being taken there from Christ's intentions on dying on the cross.

The heart changes- we change. In my mind's eye, it's not so much words, or rituals, but it's where the heart stands that allows that forgiveness.

I hope this makes sense. :/

I believe Christ is all forgiving whatever the sin committed and regardless of how many times, Christ will forgive. I don't think he ever said one sin was worse than the other, except for the "unforgivable sin." but, Ultimately, Christ knows the heart of man & it's heart that leads to forgiveness, I don't necessarily believe in words saving anyone without true piety, or intentions.

I would disagree with my father on this one the issue: 'Once saved always saved in Christ.' I couldn't grasp that . I would *think* that if you are always "saved" then whatever you chose to do you are already forgiven- it seems to me like there is advantage being taken there from Christ's intentions on dying on the cross.

The heart changes- we change. In my mind's eye, it's not so much words, or rituals, but it's where the heart stands that allows that forgiveness.

The unforgivable sin is not a one time sin.....you may already know this but I just wanted to make sure cause some people worry about it.

Christ from the bible did not look down on anyone for not following him....he still loved and forgave ALL.......

So I figured ..why do people say YOU MUST ACCEPT him..otherwise burn?? that dont make sense...............since christ didnt tell people this...

I think the "Once saved, always saved in Christ" view is based on the idea that even after being saved, we are still human, we will continue to sin because it is part of being human. However, I believe this view also insinuates that although the person may sin, they are not running around rampantly sinning just because they are forgiven, if they are truly saved, they are truly repentant they will not be "taking advantage" of Christ. I think "taking advantage" of Christ's forgiveness is probably a good sign that someone is not actually saved.

The unforgivable sin is not a one time sin.....you may already know this but I just wanted to make sure cause some people worry about it.

I used 'unforgivable sin' as an *example* of the only sin specifically mentioned by Christ where there seemed to be an exception to certain sin . All other sins seem to be on the same scale. Not one is greater than the other. If Im NOT correct on this, please do inform me--

if they are truly saved, they are truly repentant they will not be "taking advantage" of Christ. I think "taking advantage" of Christ's forgiveness is probably a good sign that someone is not actually saved.

I agree with that. :tu:

Maybe it's just where I live, but I see this a lot, btw. :unsure2:

I used 'unforgivable sin' as an *example* of the only sin specifically mentioned by Christ where there seemed to be an exception to certain sin . All other sins seem to be on the same scale. Not one is greater than the other. If Im NOT correct on this, please do inform me--

No your right on the mark.....Whats Christ was describing was the denial of the Holy Spirits witness about Christ. If you deny the holy spirits witness of Christ, which is too acknowledge Christ and repent of your sins, there is no forgiveness....which is why it says He who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit NEVER has forgiveness (and that is because the person is not asking which is unforgiveable in its nature) but is in danger of eternal damnation....danger doesnt mean a definite....it means your just about to get hurt

Thanks for the replies guys..... :tu:

What I wanted to find out from a Christian point of view is, if you live your life as a good and law-abiding citizen who doesn't necessarily attend church often or reads the bible or is a practising-Christian, can you make up for all that when you're on your death bed and a priest is blessing you and giving you Holy Communion ??

Are you allowed, so to speak, to repent for your sins when it's your time to go ?? Will you still be accepted into Heaven once you truly ask for forgiveness ??

Thanks for the replies guys..... :tu:

What I wanted to find out from a Christian point of view is, if you live your life as a good and law-abiding citizen who doesn't necessarily attend church often or reads the bible or is a practising-Christian, can you make up for all that when you're on your death bed and a priest is blessing you and giving you Holy Communion ??

Are you allowed, so to speak, to repent for your sins when it's your time to go ?? Will you still be accepted into Heaven once you truly ask for forgiveness ??

I firmly believe that God will forgive anyone at even the last moment, as long as it's real repentance. However, there are two issues I can think of right off the top of my head:

1. You may not make it to a ripe old age in your death bed
  2. God wants you to have a great life of freedom and peace right now, He also has work He created specifically for you and it won't get done by you.

[*]You may not make it to a ripe old age in your death bed

[*]God wants you to have a great life of freedom and peace right now, He also has work He created specifically for you and it won't get done by you.

I've been told that before about dying suddenly and at a young age...... <_<

Your second point intrigues me.....Can you elaborate please, for the dummies (me :blush: ) ??

I've been told that before about dying suddenly and at a young age...... <_<

Your second point intrigues me.....Can you elaborate please, for the dummies (me :blush: ) ??

I would be happy to elaborate point 2.

8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast. 10For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do
Ephesians 2:8-10

As you can see this passage describes that God actually prepared work for each of us to do. If, however, you choose not to repent, then that work He prepared for you will not be completed by you and maybe will not be completed at all.

Christ from the bible did not look down on anyone for not following him....he still loved and forgave ALL.......

So I figured ..why do people say YOU MUST ACCEPT him..otherwise burn?? that dont make sense...............since christ didnt tell people this...

matthew 10-32,33

matthew10-38

matthew 12-30

matthew23- all of it.

imo and as the bible says you have to believe that jesus is the son of god. no man gets to the father but through the son. he forgives those who ask for his forgiveness, but you have to ask. it can be on your deathbed or whenever, but like someone else said you might not make to that bed. now remember this is just what the bible says and is my op as well.

I would be happy to elaborate point 2.

Ephesians 2:8-10

As you can see this passage describes that God actually prepared work for each of us to do. If, however, you choose not to repent, then that work He prepared for you will not be completed by you and maybe will not be completed at all.

Yes but if I continue to be a good person and generally try and help people around me, which I try and do anyway, isn't that still doing God's work ??

Or is it something more personal that relates to only me ??

Sorry if I'm frustrating you.... :blush:

Yes but if I continue to be a good person and generally try and help people around me, which I try and do anyway, isn't that still doing God's work ??

Or is it something more personal that relates to only me ??

Sorry if I'm frustrating you.... :blush:

No, you're not frustrating me.

Yes, obviously if you're a good person who does good things and helps people that is good work. But if you are not in God's will then, you're unable to know or do the work He called you to do and that work may be even greater than what you would do otherwise since it's the work you were created to do.

No, you're not frustrating me.

Yes, obviously if you're a good person who does good things and helps people that is good work. But if you are not in God's will then, you're unable to know or do the work He called you to do and that work may be even greater than what you would do otherwise since it's the work you were created to do.

So basically you're talking about spiritual and religious work.....The way I read it, it refers to a person's spiritual growth and working towards a closeness with God.......Is that what the passage means ??

So basically you're talking about spiritual and religious work.....The way I read it, it refers to a person's spiritual growth and working towards a closeness with God.......Is that what the passage means ??

Not necessarily spiritual and religious work. I know guys who are car mechanics. Since they accepted Christ, they also became part of a group that goes to 3rd World countries for 2 weeks once a year. While they are there, they do some missionary work, but they also spend a lot of time just fixing cars and machinery. They do work that helps families who would never be able to pay to have that work done, or who would have to sacrifice in order to have it done. Since they are mechanics, they are doing work only they can do, work that God prepared for them to do, work like what they do back home, but that is sometimes actually life changing when they do it out there. That's more like what I'm talking about.

Not necessarily spiritual and religious work. I know guys who are car mechanics. Since they accepted Christ, they also became part of a group that goes to 3rd World countries for 2 weeks once a year. While they are there, they do some missionary work, but they also spend a lot of time just fixing cars and machinery. They do work that helps families who would never be able to pay to have that work done, or who would have to sacrifice in order to have it done. Since they are mechanics, they are doing work only they can do, work that God prepared for them to do, work like what they do back home, but that is sometimes actually life changing when they do it out there. That's more like what I'm talking about.

:tu::yes: Phew....Now I get it.... :P

My question is though, why do they have to accept Christ, in order to do this sort of voluntary/missionary work ??

Can't someone just join charities like World Vision, Aid Abroad etc and volunteer their time and money to assist people less fortunate ??

Do you know what I'm getting at ?? Why is this associated with Christianity ?? Or maybe it's not, I don't know...... :unsure2:

My question is though, why do they have to accept Christ, in order to do this sort of voluntary/missionary work ??

Can't someone just join charities like World Vision, Aid Abroad etc and volunteer their time and money to assist people less fortunate ??

Do you know what I'm getting at ?? Why is this associated with Christianity ?? Or maybe it's not, I don't know...... :unsure2:

I can answer this one -

There are 'secular' org. that do this. Peace Corp, Red Cross and a few others that escape me right now.

Most Christian org's will accept 'non-christians' - it's just that most non-chrisitans will not 'go there' w/Christians. They don't want to be in that 'Christian Situation' is all - they "might get prayed for...." then who knows what would happen!!

They probably could have, but maybe they would never have considered it. I don't know.

They probably could have, but maybe they would never have considered it. I don't know.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my posts IamsSon......I completely understand it now...... :tu:

It's like God 'opening their eyes' to all the suffering out there and showing them how to do something about it............ :)

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my posts IamsSon......I completely understand it now...... :tu:

It's like God 'opening their eyes' to all the suffering out there and showing them how to do something about it............ :)

You're welcome! It was my pleasure! I'm not sure if I did a good job of explaining or you just did a great job of understanding, but yes, that's very good.