Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Britain betraying asylum-seekers?

EmpressStarXVII

Britain is betraying the Janjaweed’s victims

Asylum-seekers claim British immigration officers forced them to meet Sudanese officials, says christopher thompson

The Home Office is so eager to repatriate asylum seekers from Darfur that it has allowed officials from the Sudan embassy to interrogate Darfuris in the presence of British immigration officers, according to three refugees, still in London, who have spoken to The First Post.

"I was given no choice," one of the Darfuris said. "The man from the embassy said that the Home Office had asked him to investigate me on their behalf," said another.

The participation of Sudanese officials flies in the face of all recommended procedures for dealing with political refugees. And the deportations run against the advice from the UN High Commissioner for Refugees who has declared that Darfuri asylum-seekers returned to Khartoum face the prospect of jail, torture or death.

The government of Sudan has been accused by the United States of conducting a genocide in the Darfur region, in an effort to put down a local insurgency by anti-government rebels who belong mainly to three groups, the SLA, the JEM and the SLM.

Khartoum has bombed villages in Darfur and used proxy militias - the infamous Arab horsemen, the Janjaweed - to slaughter villagers in a campaign of ethnic cleansing. Two million people have been displaced as a result and the number of Africans killed is estimated to be 300,000, if not higher.

The claim that Sudanese embassy officials have been allowed access to asylum-seekers has brought immediate condemnation from refugee watchdogs and human rights campaigners.

David Brown, spokesman for genocide watchdog the Aegis Trust, said he had heard the allegations and that if it was true that immigration officers gave the Darfuris no choice but to meet the Sudanese, then it was illegal under asylum rules.

Source and full article here.

Edited by Fluffybunny

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Hill

• Fluffybunny

• StoneAgeQueen

• Syd Boggle

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry we're too full already...love to help but we can't save the entire world..you know. If I was them, maybe they should fight to sort out their country before 'running away'. The UK had to.

Besides I'm sure they'll find a way in anyway.

Sorry we're too full already...love to help but we can't save the entire world..you know. If I was them, maybe they should fight to sort out their country before 'running away'. The UK had to.

Ditto for the US.

Boy, hard words there.

Yet, I must agree here. Sweden is also "full", and the "load 'em over here"- mentality is reaching new absurd levels.

The thing is - and I wouldn't really say that the immigrant problem is our own fault - we in the West have to ask ourselves in what ways we are contributing to the various situations "over there".

I absolutely agree that we have to look at our impact on the asylum seekers(Cuba comes to mind for the US from my younger days)...There just comes a certain point where we have created so many small countries inside of the US that do not want to become a part of the US, but would rather come to the US and create a small version of the country they just left. I grew up in a place called Huntington Park, just outside of Los Angeles. If you did not speak fluent spanish you were in trouble in many ways. Years later I moved to a place called Fountain Valley which was renamed "Little Saigon". The street signs were in vietnamese. It is insane. No one spoke english. People come here and live for decades and never learn to speak the language and then demand that the government make all of the documentation in 35 different languages...sorry I am ranting...

The entire "melting pot" is wonderful, but right now no one seems to want to "melt" into the culture by learning english (That is just a start). Until we can have a country that countains citizens that can all communicate with each other I think we need to take a break from letting new folks come in even if things are poor where they come from. We have so many problems within out own country with the citizens we have now, on so many levels, that I think we need to pause for a while and get the newcomers acclimated before we let every Tom, Dick, and Harry come into the country.

Considering Britain takes in more asylum seekers then any other E.U. Country im failing to see how we are betraying asylum seekers :hmm:

Yeah send em all back.

PS where is "Britian".

Surely, you can find something else to point out other than typo's. Ugh, I hate when people do that. <_< .

But to make a serious reply...

I agree somewhat with most of the opinions above, but I think that if BritAIn does not want to take anymore asylum seekers, or any country for that matter; they need to change their policy. But until then, they should not be doing this.

Fluffy, I was always confused about the point that people make saying that the US is "too" full these days. I think it is more of the coastal areas and large cities that are like that. I wonder why we do not place political refugee's in the mid-plains. Isn't the general population like 49 people per square mile or less? We could easily have [room for] 50 million more citizens (or refugee's) in those states. Of course I'm sure that sort of proposal would affect the economy in a great way, it's just the "no room" that always puzzled me.

Wouldn't Muslims be more comfortable in a predominantly Muslim country?

I know for myself as a Christian one of the last places I'd want to move to would be a predominantly Muslim country.

There's quite a few Muslim based countries I'm sure they'd be much happier in. Below is a list.

Peace :)

Surely, you can find something else to point out other than typo's. Ugh, I hate when people do that. <_< .

I agree somewhat with most of the opinions above, but I think that if BritAIn does not want to take anymore asylum seekers, or any country for that matter; they need to change their policy. But until then, they should not be doing this.

Fluffy, I was always confused about the point that people make saying that the US is "too" full these days. I think it is more of the coastal areas and large cities that are like that. I wonder why we do not place political refugee's in the mid-plains. Isn't the general population like 49 people per square mile or less? We could easily have [room for] 50 million more citizens (or refugee's) in those states. Of course I'm sure that sort of proposal would affect the economy in a great way, it's just the "no room" that always puzzled me.

Not so much room, we have a lot of open space, but resources...jobs, housing, food, schools, hospital and medical care, transportation problems....those kinds of things. Nearly all immigrants are low education, manual labor type of folks, and there are just not enough of those kinds of jobs to go around, leaving them in a very difficult financial situation, which puts strains on our social services...

If we wanted just to shuttle them into the middle of Nevada there would be enough room for millions in the middle of the desert...they wouldn't have much to do though...

Edited by Fluffybunny

I know for myself as a Christian one of the last places I'd want to move to would be a predominantly Muslim country.

There's quite a few Muslim based countries I'm sure they'd be much happier in. Below is a list.

Yeah but you can't sign on in any of those. Probably.

It would destroy our economy. We can barely take care of ourselves. We need a wall and a sign that says "stay out". Liberals. Never understand them. We can't take care of the world.

There are too many immigrants being let into our countries. :td: I know it's putting a strain on our health service for one thing. I live in Northern Ireland which is a very small country.. there are too many asylum seekers being let in, our country is going to be ruined if it continues at this rate. There is no room in our hospitals for mothers to have their babies because the immigrants from poor countries are coming over here specifically to give birth. How is that right??

As well as that we have the fantastic Euro union<_<, where anyone who is a resident of an EU country can just move over here :td: We have no room for them. Our health service and education system has always been outstanding over here, now it is getting ruined. is it any wonder people are turning to far right parties like the BNP when our government is making such a **** up of this. I love my country and I have noticed it going downhill in the last few years. Something has to be done. <_< yes we should help those that really need it, but not letting anyone in at the expense of our own citizens. it's wrong.

The Polish Have taken over where i Live :( .

The Polish Have taken over where i Live :( .

we have 10-20 million! illegal aliens running the streets....

If there's one thing to learn from the War in Bosnia.. is that, this civil war could potentially happen if too many different 'cultures' are forced together in such a confined space. The Government and liberal ideology is 'Don't worry they'll fully integrate by the second/third generation meanwhile you'll just have to put up with it and if you don’t like it you're racist.' I've yet to see this full intergration take place, we seem afraid to teach a 'one unified British culture' which is our only hope out of this mess. Just when a foreign culture may be showing the signs of intergration..we invite another one in it's place.

I'm a tolerant guy but my tolerance is close to breaking point. No one has influenced my view, I've not been brainwashed by the media or nazis.. I've just seen it for myself, so many incidents on the street where I live. I fear for the future and it seems I'm not alone which is why so many British people are leaving the country (Sorry spain) but at least we bring our own cash. ;)

Edited by billyhill

If there's one thing to learn from the War in Bosnia.. is that, this civil war could potentially happen if too many different 'cultures' are forced together in such a confined space. The Government and liberal ideology is 'Don't worry they'll fully integrate by the second/third generation meanwhile you'll just have to put up with it and if you don’t like it you're racist.' I've yet to see this full intergration take place, we seem afraid to teach a 'one unified British culture' which is our only hope out of this mess. Just when a foreign culture may be showing the signs of intergration..we invite another one in it's place.

I'm a tolerant guy but my tolerance is close to breaking point. No one has influenced my view, I've not been brainwashed by the media or nazis.. I've just seen it for myself, so many incidents on the street where I live. I fear for the future and it seems I'm not alone which is why so many British people are leaving the country (Sorry spain) but at least we bring our own cash. ;)

:tu: I agree.

I have to agree with the sentiments here, immigration is becoming a real problem....New statistics have shown that at the current rate of new immigrants coupled with our own established immigrant population (2nd generation included) plus the fact that eastern europeans,africans & indians etc, tend to have more children than west europeans could result in indigenous UK population becoming a minority in under 100 years, this is a report i read in time Magazine...

I should also add, that i have had enough of seeing asylum seekers harrassing the general public for money, just the other day my wife was harrassed for money by a man wearing jogging bottoms & a leather jacket.....this has become a common sight around dulwich village & its not befitting to the area..

But then if it wasn't for the long history of immigration and yes, even acceptance of refugees, Western nations like the US, UK and Aus would be closer to the same sort of third world disasters that some of you appear to resent.

Anyone heard of immigrants doing the jobs that locals think are beneath them?

(Quote from Explorer....But then if it wasn't for the long history of immigration and yes, even acceptance of refugees, Western nations like the US, UK and Aus would be closer to the same sort of third world disasters that some of you appear to resent.

Anyone heard of immigrants doing the jobs that locals think are beneath them?)

Your point is out dated by nearly 30 years my friend, the mentality of jobs which locals see as beneath them doesnt exist any more, these days Jobs are Jobs and Job security is a thing of the past....

Also in an ever increasing economically balanced society, The Money immigrants earn are generally put towards living & whatever remains is sent back to their country of origin...sending money out of the country weakens our own economy...this topic is starting to become a cause for concern amongst economic scholars...

Edited by lord scrummage

I agree whit some points and not whit others.

Here in Argentina had some inmigration coming from other countries from South America. Our current pppulation was made of inmigrants. And yes, in that times people complain about the Spanish, the Italians, the Germans, the Polish, Russians, Sirians, Armenians that didnt "intagrate" and tried to live near other form the place they come from, and for creating inmigrant entities (the Italian Club, English schools, etc). But whit time they integrate, creating a new culture. They didnt "dishminished" the local population, they become part of the local population.

But i agree that the most recent inmigrants didnt want to integrate. I have personally heard from inmigrants that they want to bring their culture to the country, and not adapting the the local culture. And the money part is also true. They will work for less than the local and in worse conditions, because even that its better than their jobs back in their countries, and the money sending hurts the economy more than the benefit their work can create.

Has for the political refugge problem, while i agree that the UK is in their right to reject the regugge, i consider unethical to leave the refuge whit political representants of the country he or she is escaping. You are literaly comdeming hir or her to death, especially for some african and asian countries. If you dont want the refuge, the UK could have contact the UN refuge program to look for a nation that would accept the refuge.

Edited by Mekorig

I would also like to add, as a little food for thought......Immigration contibuting to increasing Property prices.

Our government needs to take note that, as lanlords increasingly snap up properties on a buy to let premiss in order to rent out to Immigrants..this is adding to house price increases, not to mention the fact that its our local council who are renting these properties (which means, we the tax payer)..

Now the landlords are just being business people, however, our government need to think about our own young people who are unable to make a good start in life as a result/contributing factor of immigration led Buy to let properties

Peace :)

Very well put.

The reason they dont try those countries is very simple,,, social welfare. and when it is its no where near as good as the US, England , Ireland social welfare systems

Also in an ever increasing economically balanced society, The Money immigrants earn are generally put towards living & whatever remains is sent back to their country of origin...sending money out of the country weakens our own economy...this topic is starting to become a cause for concern amongst economic scholars...

I agree with some points raised and this is very true Lord Scrummage.... The economy does rely on people spending money....but for me this isn't about those who have immigrated and successfully integrated/settled in already, it's about the fact our flood gates are wide open because the gov sees it as a quick fix to sorting the economy out in other ways....ie the pensions and tax fiasco with the workforce V retirement ratio becoming unbalanced....

Ok it may lighten the burden economically in the long term, but as always with these things, attempting to balance one problem leads to something else becoming unstable. Unfortunately it appears that many people feel it could be the start of British society going down the drain :hmm: I hope not! but seriously, something or someone has to shut up that bloody PC brigade wagon, they really don't help matters in the slightest <_<

But then if it wasn't for the long history of immigration and yes, even acceptance of refugees, Western nations like the US, UK and Aus would be closer to the same sort of third world disasters that some of you appear to resent.

Hold it,

What the hell’s Australia doing on that list.. they’ve got one of (it not the) toughest immigration laws in the world. The … the ..dirty.. Imperial racists.