Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Would it make you happy if...........

Jodie.Lynne

I think the sad part about the "I win!" mentality, is that the person who feels that way learns nothing. If you argue just for the sake of beating your opposition down then you are deaf to every word he utters. You meet every question you are asked with suspicion, and your response will be one intended to further your goal... to win. What is to be gained by being the best in a war of words if the words you hear you are deaf to and the words you utter serve only to squash your opponent by whatever means. Belittling personal comments, and an insistence that your opponent is lacking in some way say more about you than they do about your opponent.

I agree with you again! Why can't I say eloquent things like that?

(Cute Rattie by the way, he/she has some nice eye boogling going on!)

Schnaff x

Edited by Schnaffler

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jodie.Lynne

• GoddessWhispers

• Schnaffler

• Leonardo

Debating is all part of the fun IMO

Agreed. Aren't we here to just share ideas not to argue? or is it just like that in the spiritually vs skepticism thread?

I think the sad part about the "I win!" mentality, is that the person who feels that way learns nothing. If you argue just for the sake of beating your opposition down then you are deaf to every word he utters. You meet every question you are asked with suspicion, and your response will be one intended to further your goal... to win. What is to be gained by being the best in a war of words if the words you hear you are deaf to and the words you utter serve only to squash your opponent by whatever means. Belittling personal comments, and an insistence that your opponent is lacking in some way say more about you than they do about your opponent.

We Have a WINNER!!!!

:D

Well said Shadow Hill

We Have a WINNER!!!!

Well said Shadow Hill

OH, so you're calling me a loser? :cry: I thought you loved me :cry:

:rofl: ohgeelookatthetimeIgottago........

:rofl: ohgeelookatthetimeIgottago........

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Typical male...LMAO!......I still love you though :wub:

Who do you think you are to disagree with me! Do you think I care! :angry:

:P

I don't care that you care and I'm willing to fight to show you I don't care. Okay, Iams...step outside!!! :angry::ph34r:

*holds door open...Iams steps outside...Leo closes door...snigger* :P

We Have a WINNER!!!!

Well said Shadow Hill

Agreed.

I'm reticent to say that because there are some that would probably vote me into that top 10. :lol:

However I also think there are some opinions, that seem to think reading other peoples, just serves to reinforce their personal sense of security in their own knowledge of a thing. So they haven't really learned anything, save that they knew they were right all along.

Even the most scholarly body of work, will not serve to convince someone intent on holding on to what they think they know. Even when a source more learned proves there's more to learn. There's no sin in saying, I was wrong. I'm ignorant of a thing. It's a matter of being ready to accept there is more and being confident one can learn it, because it exists, regardless,rather than cling to outdated modes of thought. Ignorance is not bliss. It's self victimization, when one insists on remaining ignorant because of tradition.

We Have a WINNER!!!!

Well said Shadow Hill

I thought we agreed there were NO winners!!! :P

I thought we agreed there were NO winners!!! :P

Literalist! <_<

:P:w00t:

....the "opposition" on this site went elsewhere?

I keep seeing comments like this:

from different segments of our population here, which sometimes makes me feel that I'm on a battleground rather than a forum for the exchange of ideas. It seems, sometimes, that the object here is to "win" rather than impart knowledge and debate.

So speak freely- who wants to see only like minded posts on this board, and who wants the "others" to shut up and move on? And who is for everyman to have an opinion of their own?

And, to thaphantum: I'm not picking on you, you were just the latest example of the "win" attitude I saw.

I see a lot of this too -----> Well said _____ Keep em coming

nearly every day..especially in a heated debate....

Sometime I see someone who cant give a straight anser..they wait till a person from the same side as them posts..and then one after the other all go ---> :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: you read my mind!!

And I sit there thinking...............NOOOOOOOOO they didnt read your mind....cuz once you where asked a question...you bottled OUT..and waited for the GLORY HUNT CHEER like this ---> :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: <--to me says --ohh look blag_blah got the brain cell today yahoooo I must CHEEEER YAY!!!

:huh: uhuh pretty dense of you then....

glory hunters...dont ya just love em :rofl:

I saw a thread by thaphantum....everyone agreed with him......................look how long it lasted?? it was off the board in NO time..gone forgotten...............WHY??? cuz there was NO DEBATING thats why so thaphantum had to go back to making threads like put up or shut up to get back into action LMAO!!!!!!

• 3 months later...
....the "opposition" on this site went elsewhere?

I keep seeing comments like this:

from different segments of our population here, which sometimes makes me feel that I'm on a battleground rather than a forum for the exchange of ideas. It seems, sometimes, that the object here is to "win" rather than impart knowledge and debate.

So speak freely- who wants to see only like minded posts on this board, and who wants the "others" to shut up and move on? And who is for everyman to have an opinion of their own?

And, to thaphantum: I'm not picking on you, you were just the latest example of the "win" attitude I saw.

Love to debate and hear others opinions but i keep a eye on things and dont take stuff personally

I don't really debate, just argue with a moderate degree of eloquence. :P

Diversity is what makes a forum worth my time. "The Opposition" should stay, but not expect me to agree with them.

I think separation is a bad thing. without adverse ideas we don't grow . Sitting with only those who agree with you doesn't make you right it just makes you comfortable and cloistered.

it's hard not to take sides on various issues. this is where I think maybe administration should remain neutral ? or try to at least ? to act as referee . that doesn't mean you couldn't have an opinion , but between arguments to not take sides , just knock the heads and tell them to cool off . lol

ps -

but sometimes someone will post a thought that says it better than you can. or a point you hadn't realised.

I've thanked people on posts that have taken what I was thinking and worded it better than myself or brought up a point I hadn't seen.

Edited by Lt_Ripley

agreed. I'm not perfect and have slung my fair share of hash as well , but I do agree. sometimes it's just soooooooo hard !

especially when running into illogical or unfactual statements ! hey if I'm wrong I don't mind it being pointed out. as long as facts can back it up.

Opinions ? are just that. as long as those opinions don't try to run my life they don't bother me.

This place would be really boring if we didn't have different points of view. I enjoy reading threads and posts on various topics and seeing everyones view and opinions. Having and keeping an openmind is a good thing :yes:

ps -

but sometimes someone will post a thought that says it better than you can. or a point you hadn't realised.

I've thanked people on posts that have taken what I was thinking and worded it better than myself or brought up a point I hadn't seen.

I'm with you Lt_Ripley...and guilty as charged. ^_^ Sometimes ones own filters can misinterpret another's motives (postings) based on their own "reality". Often that which we dislike in another...and bring to light their shortcomings...are often the very things we dislike seeing in ourselves. I've been guilty of this myself. I really enjoy debate and the challenges of opposition...but I have disdain for disrespect, insensitivity & rudeness.

edited to add: Great to see you GW, SH & Airika. Been missing ya! :)

Edited by Inner Space

I am more frustrated by people who break up a thread by lashing out off topic. Of all the frustrating, irritating...grrrr :angry:

I am more frustrated by people who break up a thread by lashing out off topic. Of all the frustrating, irritating...grrrr :angry:

OK, I admit, I have done this *hangs head in shame*.

I sometimes try to add humour where there isn't to "lighten" the moment. I have been attacked and told I am wrong for feeling or thinking the way I do. Maybe if someone actually took the time to ask why I feel that way, there could have been a really bad situation in my past that coloured my view, then maybe they would be able to empathize, if not agree with me. That is one of the best ways to learn, by putting yourself in others shoes and trying to understand where they come from. You don't have to agree, but you could at the very least not call them an "idiot" and that "they don't know what they are talking about" or that they "are the problem with society."