Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Ghost yacht' found off Australia

StoneAgeQueen

Emergency services in Australia have launched a search for the three-man crew of a yacht found drifting off the North Queensland coast.

The vessel was found with its engine running, and a table laid for dinner, but there were no signs of any people.

An air and sea rescue operation has been launched to retrace the yacht's voyage, and pinpoint the search area.

The three-crew members are thought to have set sail for Townsville from Airlie Beach on Sunday.

The 12m (40 foot) catamaran was spotted by a helicopter on Wednesday, but a rescue team only reached the boat on Friday, and confirmed that there was no one aboard.

Rescue crews say they are puzzled by the mysterious disappearance

Go

How weird. I wonder what happened to them?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unlimited

• StoneAgeQueen

• Bill Hill

• watchstopper

These ghost ships have been reported before...the bali bombers were rumoured to be on a ghost ship and they disappeared...interesting...had it been pirates they would have stripped the boat..in these cases nothings touched except the people are gone?....

Edited by limited

yeah it seems like it.. very strange indeed. Maybe a freak wave knocked them off the side or something?

yeah it seems like it.. very strange indeed. Maybe a freak wave knocked them off the side or something?

I dunno...another mystery...

But if a wave knocked them off, wouldn't there be water in the boat to at least point to that solution? Quite interesting. The only other thing it oculd be is a hoax since the story of the Mary Celeste is so famous.

Freaky. The twilight zone. *Makes the sound* Who knows. They'll probably still out there.

Hmm I heard about this one on the news tonight.

YOU would have thought that if it was a freak wave or something, that some of the food would have been knocked over or something, if it was strong enough to knock everybody else overboard?

Its kind of scary to think of something like that happening to Australia..to me it kind of seems a bit to close to home. Nothing interesting ever happens here, which is how I like it.

very strange indeed !!! i mean 3 men cant just fall overboard ....can they

I don't know, it is possible.

linked-image

I just read an update that said that neatly stacked clothes were found on deck , as if they had gotten undressed to go swimming. The question of whether they witnessed something they were not supposed to also came up.

At first i thought pirates, as they had there tenders deployed, but nothing was stolen. A freak wave is my guess, one or more were swept in and others went in to save them. Still doesn't explain the tenders though. They may have witnessed something, watchstopper, I agree

what do you mean witnessed something? and that three stooges thing had me laughing so hard lol that was a good one

does anyone know the missing guys names?..or affiliations?....

Derek Batten, 56, Peter Tunstead, 69, James Tunstead, 63.

The search has been suspended but the families are apparently chartering boats to continue the search themselves. So I heard on the tv news. Unless there's a miracle, RIP to the Kaz II three.

2 words for you Vodka and Nudity