Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Freetown state forest

supernovas

Located at the southern portion in the Bridgewater Triangle. It is not a popular as Hockomock swamp, but could very well be the most feared. It is only in the deepest portions of the forest

that the victims of horrible atrosities have been discovered. The region is often used as a dumping ground for murder victims and gruesome santainic sacrofices. Many horrifying and disturbing

things have been discoverd: In 1970 through 1980, there had been a widesrpead speculation that a santanic cult had inhabited the forest, these rumors were partially substantiated when

police were approached by a number of individuals who claimed to have witnessed santanic activity in the forest. In 1978, the forest became infamous when the body of Mary Lou Arruda,

a fifteen year-old cheerleader, had been found tied tom a tree. In 1987, the body of a drifter mistaken for an undercover police officer, had been found murdered in the forest. In 1983,

the body of a newborn baby had been found dumped in a trashcan in a rest-stop along the way. In 1991, a fall river man had been found beaten and claimed to have been molested

by a santanic cult. In 1996, hazardous waste was found dumped in the fall river portion of the forest. In 2001, two men were found shot to death on Bell Rock Road, whitch runs through

the forest.

CREEPY!!!

• Like 1

omg is this for real, there was something similar to this in a wood somewhere in england, damn those satanic cult people

Interesting, never heard of this before, still creeeeppyyy thought...

I do not think this post is getting the attention it deserves.

Anyways, I think I will go search on crimelibrary and see if there is any records on there.

Post any extra info if you can!

I live in Massachusetts and hadn't heard of the Hockomock until I became a Sasquatch researcher. So I learned about a few sightings in the swamp, but until I saw a video on Cryptomundo, I didn't realize the amount of murders, and dumped bodies that had been found there. I tell ya, when I go out there for my research, I'm definately going to be carrying my handgun.

• Like 1

Wiki

ControversiesThe Freetown State forest has suffered from a number of incidents since the 1970s with varying degrees of publication.

[edit] Cult rumors

Throughout the late 1970s and 1980s, there was widespread speculation that a Satanic cult inhabited the forest. These rumours were partially substantiated in 1980 when police were approached by individuals who claimed to have witnessed cult activity.[7]

[edit] Mary Lou Arruda

In November, 1978, the forest became infamous when the body of Mary Lou Arruda, a 15-year-old cheerleader abducted from Raynham, Massachusetts that September, was discovered tied to a tree. James M. Kater of Brockton, previously convicted of kidnapping in 1967, was convicted of the kidnapping and murder of Arruda in 1979.[8] The Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court overturned the verdict, and he was convicted again in 1986. The verdict once again overturned, he was retried in 1992, with that attempt ending in a mistrial.

Kater was tried for the fourth time in 1996, and his conviction was upheld in 2000.[9] In the 1996 trial, the defense charged that police had withheld information relating to cult activity in September, 1978, which it claimed could have provided an alternative to Kater.[10]

[<A title="Edit section: 2001 double homicide" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Freetown-Fall_River_State_Forest&action=edit&section=6">edit] 2001 double homicide

In 2001, two men were found shot to death on Bell Rock Road, which runs through the forest connecting Assonet and Fall River.[11]

[edit] Timeline of other issues

• In 1996, hazardous waste was found dumped in the Fall River portion of the forest.[14]
  • In 1998, a teenager from New Bedford was found beaten in the vicinity of the forest after having been left there.[15]
  • In the spring of 2006, a number of domesticated dogs in various states of aggressiveness were found abandoned in the state forest.[16]
  • In the summer of 2006, an emu was discovered roaming southeastern Massachusetts, and was periodically spotted in the forest.[17]
Just Google Freetown State Forest. There is a lot of great reading about that place! Thanks for the post about it Massquatch.

I live in Massachusetts and hadn't heard of the Hockomock until I became a Sasquatch researcher. So I learned about a few sightings in the swamp, but until I saw a video on Cryptomundo, I didn't realize the amount of murders, and dumped bodies that had been found there. I tell ya, when I go out there for my research, I'm definately going to be carrying my handgun.

It's not just the murders and cults ya have to worry about, there has been everything from ravenous red-eyed wolves, ghostly indian spirits, UFOs, and snakes as thick as tree trunks seen there...

Oooo what was the video about? I mean, besides the forest itself. Did they show weird things in it?

The video has many wierd things on it, but most of it covers the hockomock swamp. it only covers Freetown state forest at the end

• 2 weeks later...

i happen to live in freetown, massachusetts. the state forest is about 50 feet across the street from my house (literally). the wikipedia article about the state forest isnt exactly complete, and there are many things that it does not mention. for example, in december of 2005, a man wearing no clothes and with multiple knife wounds in the abdomen ran out of the state forest and into house (about 6 houses down from me) urging the occupents to call the police. he has as of yet stated who attacked him. there have also been animal mutilations in the state forest, primarily cows, which has been attributed to cult activity. i doubt this is true, but a neighbor of mine told me about a girl scout camp in the state forest that "dissappeared" over night in the 70s. he has taken me to the alleged "remains" of the girl scout camp, and it did in fact look like there had once been a girl scout camp there, but again i doubt the factuality of this story. as for the bridgewater triangle, my father lives in dighton massachusetts, which is considered to be part of the triangle. i have witnessed something paranormal in dighton, that could very well indeed be classified as a ufo (ask if you want to hear about this). i have also seen the dighton rock (in its own little museum) which is a large boulder that has an unkown writing carved into it. many people claim it is from aliens, but historians say it closely resembles ancient phoenician script (the phoenicia was an empire in western asia from 3500 years ago, god knows how they got here). other theories include the norse, native americans, portuguese, and chinese. in long pond, freetown, a friend of mine and have witnessed something that we will not forget for the rest of our lives (very long story, ask if you want to hear it). i would be happy to answer any questions regarding the bridgewater triangle or the state forest.

• Like 1

i happen to live in freetown, massachusetts. the state forest is about 50 feet across the street from my house (literally). the wikipedia article about the state forest isnt exactly complete, and there are many things that it does not mention. for example, in december of 2005, a man wearing no clothes and with multiple knife wounds in the abdomen ran out of the state forest and into house (about 6 houses down from me) urging the occupents to call the police. he has as of yet stated who attacked him. there have also been animal mutilations in the state forest, primarily cows, which has been attributed to cult activity. i doubt this is true, but a neighbor of mine told me about a girl scout camp in the state forest that "dissappeared" over night in the 70s. he has taken me to the alleged "remains" of the girl scout camp, and it did in fact look like there had once been a girl scout camp there, but again i doubt the factuality of this story. as for the bridgewater triangle, my father lives in dighton massachusetts, which is considered to be part of the triangle. i have witnessed something paranormal in dighton, that could very well indeed be classified as a ufo (ask if you want to hear about this). i have also seen the dighton rock (in its own little museum) which is a large boulder that has an unkown writing carved into it. many people claim it is from aliens, but historians say it closely resembles ancient phoenician script (the phoenicia was an empire in western asia from 3500 years ago, god knows how they got here). other theories include the norse, native americans, portuguese, and chinese. in long pond, freetown, a friend of mine and have witnessed something that we will not forget for the rest of our lives (very long story, ask if you want to hear it). i would be happy to answer any questions regarding the bridgewater triangle or the state forest.

I'd like to hear that story, if you care to share it :) A creepy topic by the way! I mean I like forests and all but damn, I would have to think twice before camping in that forest!

well, ok here is the story. the following events happened (if i recall correctly) on the evening of friday october 19th 2006. i was at my friend adam foley's house on long pond (part of the "bridgewater triangle") having a jam session. i looked out the window sometime during the jam in the afternoon, and being quite adept at weather forcasting, could tell that some bad weather was on the way. at around 5:30 PM, a horrific wind storm kicked up with winds around 30-50 mph. in less than half an hour, the power went out. this ended our jam, so we decided to go outside and walk around the neighborhood. it was VERY dark and windy, and some heavy items had been tossed into the middle of the road. across the pond, the houses on the other side had their lights flickering rapidly because of the wind storm. after wandering around the lakeside neighborhood for about an hour, we noticed a light on the road coming toward us very slowly from about 200 feet away. we had seen a few cars on the road during that evening, but for some reason, we ran away from that one and headed toward the pond's beach (which is moderately wooded). i still cant remember why, but we hid behind the trees at the beach. sure enough, after about two minutes the vehicle pulled up alongside the beach, making no noise whatsoever. we knew this was no car, but we couldn't make it out because it was 7 PM in october with very thick clouds and a neighborhood with no lights on. we suspected it was a person or a bike, but it seemed to be larger than a minivan. it went back and forth on the road next to the beach, noiseless, with very bright headlights turned to the left scanning the beach. at times, it moved as if it were multiple vehicles and not one. it stayed there for more than 10 minutes scanning the trees in the beach where we were hiding before it left. once it did leave, adam and i waited a moment and then ran to the t-intersection where it headed in an attempt to follow it. the vehicle had been moving very slowly and you could see each way down the intersection fairly far, but we saw no trace of the vehicle (it had very bright headlights). i havent even got to the weirrd part yet. adam and i walked back to the road adjacent to the beach where to vehicle was, hoping to learn something. we began talking, and then over the lake, i saw the strangest thing i will ever hope to see. this is what i saw:

looking east-northeast across the pond from the north-facing beach, on the horizon i saw an extremely bright flickering of a very large portion of the sky. this was like seeing a flicker of a lightning bolt on the horizon, except much MUCH brighter and it was a variety of colors. it flickered about 10 colors in about 1 and a half seconds and then stopped. it was much too bright to have been anything man made, and there was no possible way this was lightning.

i immediately turned adam around, who was facing the wrong way. he had turned too late and hadn't seen it. very fortunately, the same thing occured AGAIN. adam immediately yelled something along the lines of "holy ****ing ****,". once sure i wasn't hallucinating (or the only one anyway) we began to run away as fast as our legs could carry us. my mind was racing, and i could tell i had little conscious control over my body. one thing was apparent: i was scared out of my mind. out of about 30 seconds of sprinting, we both realized that we were fools from running away from something so (for lack of a better word) amazing. i looked past the houses and trees of the neighborhood and saw that portion of the sky flicker again. we ran back to the beach, but about 10 seconds before we got there, the sky flickered for the last time. we just sat at the beach for about half an hour hoping to see it again. during that time, we noticed a very large number of jets fill the night sky toward where we saw the phenomena. they seemed to be coming from the east, toward otis airforce base on cape cod. we now realized we weren't the only ones who saw it. we also began seeing some very odd lights in the sky behaving strangely. because of this, we ran back to adam's house to fetch adam's digital video camera to record the peculiar lights we were seeing. after about two minutes, we returned to find about 6 people standing on the beach where we were moments before. once they heard us approach, they all scattered radially, one of them passing strangely close to me and snickering. we then stood on the beach recording the lights in the sky. i will describe the three most notable lights, though few were caught on tape. appearing on the north-northeast horizon i saw a large orange-red fire ball appear suddenly moving little and then fading. this was caught on tape only as a white dot. another one appeared in the same general area and hovered around for while, flickered, and dissappeared to the right in a long horizontal line of light. the third was only seen when we later re-examined the tape and makes it very clear that this is not a conventional aircraft. while keeping the camera fixed on one of the jets, a dot can be seen appearing below the jet and ascending diagonally upward very quickly relative to the jet. after that, we saw little else, and the wind storm eventually calmed down and the power returned to the neighborhood. interestingly, the houses on the other side of the pond still had flickering house lights after more than two hours of power trouble.

on a separate note, the previous two years on almost EXACTLY the same date (+/- two days), i had also seen strange lights in the sky in carver, massachusetts (the same direction as the phenomena seen this strange night). we have burned the camera footage to DVD but have yet to upload to the internet. when we do, i will post a link. neither me nor adam know what exactly we saw that night, but we do know one thing: we will never forget it.

• Like 1

jmakobi, very interesting story. I hope you upload that vid, it sounds intense. The 6 people scattering off (and the one snickering) is also quite an interesting factor. Was there anything peculiar about them by any chance?

they were talking very quietly but i couldnt understand what they were saying, and some were carrying buckets. the strangest part was that they didnt leave in a group, but they instead went in separate directions.

a good source for looking for the records of activity in the freetown state forest would be searching the archives on southcoasttoday.com, the website for the newspaper my father works for, the new bedford standard-times

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

me and a couple of my friend are thinking about a backpacking trip into the freetown state forest this summer

just to stay overnight

ill be sure to tell you guys if anything out of the ordinary happens

wish us luck :unsure:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Oh. That's freaky.

SunriseofDoom. How is it fake? Care to share your opinion instead of just posting "FAKE."

• 3 months later...

Recently, there has been a book published focusing on the Freetown State Forest. It is called Dark Woods: Cults, Crime and Paranormal in the Freetown State Forest. It is a quick read, but you cannot put the book down. Have you heard of the Witch in the Woods? Have you heard of the Mad Trucker on Copicut Road? The Pukwudgies? The Zombie accounts? They are all in this book and much more. I have been lost in this forest at night. I do think this forest has energies. If I could describe the feeling I had that night, I would say it was something a bit more than being watched, even followed. I did not encounter anything paranormal, such as a ghost or a sasquach or a pukwudgie or a cult or a UFO or a mysterious witch seeking favors or anything else mentioned in the book, but that feeling of being watched and a need to get out knowing you may not. However I did hear a tree fall within approximately 20 feet of me, I could feel it fall as I was trying to sleep. We heard things moving around in the woods prior to that, but it is typical to hear creatures moving in the woods. The birds were also making odd noises. If I could describe it, it would sound like "HOOOOoooo" and they were doing this all at once. I have only heard them do this like 2 or 3 other times, atleast I thought it was odd.

• Like 1

Wow. How freaky! I think Fall River is the hometown of Lizzie Borden... :no:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Freetown's place in Massachusetts folklore and paranormal history is quickly becoming as famous as its coastal sisters and metro cousins. As more stories come out that focus on that part of the state, the more people will turn their heads to what is happening there and how the history of this rural town is both a black mark on who we are and a warning from what are actions might bring about.

Freetown has a higher than average number of hauntings. Most are of the harmless variety. For example, there is a rumor of a ghost that haunts the police station there. It seems a dispatcher died on night while on duty. Although she was the main lifeline of the building at night, her presence was not missed until the morning. Police on duty patrolling the streets and driving around just assumed it was a slow night. They arrived hours later at shift change to find her body. Since then several officers have come forward with descriptions of a cloudy figure walking through the office. While there is no further description of the ghost, it did not appear until after the dispatchers death and most of the officers attribute it to her.

The real hauntings of the town generate from the state forest there, the largest in the state. The forest is 5,441acres (about 15 square miles) and lies in a town of little more then 30 square miles with only 10,000 citizens. The majority is dedicated to a forest reserve and the Wampanoag reservation which has open tribal meetings and acts as a meeting ground of different tribes. It seems to attract negative energy from other parts of the state and draw it in, becoming the lightning rod for cults in the area and a symbol of the tension between current residents and the natives that once lived there.

In 1978, one day before he was set to get married, 32 year-old James Kater kidnapped 15 year-old Mary Lou Arruda and eventually killed her. Her body was found bound to a tree. In 1983, a newborn baby was found dumped in a trashcan at a rest stop along the highway that borders the forest. In 1987, a drifter from a nearby town was found dead in the forest. In 1988 two men were shot multiple times and killed during a dispute over a girl and a body was dug up from one of the cemeteries nearby. In 1998 a boy was found naked and beaten and there were several mutilated cows found that were linked by local police to a cult.

Perhaps the most famous case involving the forest revolved around a local pimp and the killing of several local prostitutes. In the late seventies and early eighties Carl Drew ran his business out of Fall River and was implicated in the murder of at least three women under him. One of the victims was dumped in the forest and the initial investigation pointed to more cult activity. Several witness stepped forward saying Drew was the leader of a satanic cult and that the killings had been part of his need for human sacrifice. They also said they had witnessed Black Masses in the forest led by Drew. He was eventually found guilty and still remains in jail. In recent months his case has been reopened and the witnesses against him claim they had been forced by the police to testify against him and that no Satanic activity had ever happened.

People have different reasons why the town may attract the evil it does. Many believe it has much to do with the Bridgewater Triangle and the odd energy it seems to draw in. Law enforcement says it has to do more with the town’s location. They feel its distance to several larger towns and cities, the fact it is surrounded by major highways and is relative isolation makes it an easy target. Crimes are committed in other towns and the evidence is dumped in Freetown or people wanting to stay away from law enforcement find there way into the forest to get done what they need to get done.

The Native Americans in the area have another explanation. Freetown was purchased in 1659 from the Wampanoag Tribe and became a town in 1683. The Native Americans in the area already believed the land highly scared and Wamitta, who sold the land, might not have had the backing of the tribe. Although the evil energy there seems to date back further than the purchase of the property, this seems to mark the transfer of curse to the settlers and off of the Wampanoag. Many feel the events of the area have turned the once gentle spirits violent, attracting evil to it and it return being fed by the evil. Psychics who have visited the area and Native American both feel the horrible crimes and hauntings will not stop until the tribe is given back the land.

Whatever the cause, the Freetown State Forest is home to more than cults and unsolved murders. There are paths through part sof the forests that are large enough for a car, but people have learned not to drive them at night. One person traveling through kept seeing glimpses outside the window as he winded through the forest. Speeding up, he saw a dark figure step out of the forest and keep up with his car with little effort and then disappear. Other cars have been known to break down or have their lights mysteriously go out. One group of people was walking the road joking and having fun and saw a person walking towards them. They ran back to the car and saw an old woman coming straight for them like a zombie. She was covered in dirt like she has been buried and walked up the car and tried to reach in.

Another area of high activity in the forest is an area known as the Ledge. The forest has been the site of many suicides over the years, but the Ledge is the area most favored. One man killed himself in front of his girlfriend although he had shown no signs of depression or anxiety before entering the forest. Others have explained sudden feelings of guilt, like a black cloud coming over them, as they approach it. One man out fishing with some friend in the pond below the Ledge witnessed six or seven people coming straight down the Ledge towards them. They disappeared and then reappeared in different places in the rock until the fishers ran back to their truck nearby. The people were no longer there and would not have been able to make it down the rock or return back to the top without being seen.

From http://www.masscrossroads.com/bristolfreetown.html

Website also as some pics of the forest.

Visit: http://www.ghostvillage.com/library/2008/lib_balzano.shtml

Has an interview with the author who wrote Dark Woods: Cults, Crime, and Paranormal in the Freetown State Forest.

• Like 1

Whats a pukwudgie?

A Pukwudgie is a troll like creature from Native American Wampanoag folklore. They were once friendly to humans, then they turned against them. There have been several pukwudgie encounters in the Freetown-Fall River State Forest. they have also been witnessed around the country, but mainly in New England. They are known to use magick, kidnap humans and push people off of cliffs. They could be the cause of some deaths at Assonet Ledge, a hotspot in the forest. they are about 3 feet tall, attack there victims with short knives and spears, use sand to blind their victim. In general they are not so friendly creatures. For more information, check out Chris's site (www.masscrossroads.com/pukwudgies) for more information on them.

Edited by Nebel

• 2 months later...
I'm just checking this topic out again since I lasted posted..

It really is such a great topic, its so creepy and weird!

Like Wrong Turn meets Texas Chainsaw Massacre!

However, how come it is posted in the urban legends section?

Is it not true?

I'm not contradicting your findings or feelings, but did you smoke pot or drink? That can make a huge world of difference as far as sounds and vibes. You should have set up a simple shoe box recorder while your slept. There would be the proof!