Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Freetown state forest

supernovas

A Pukwudgie is a troll like creature from Native American Wampanoag folklore. They were once friendly to humans, then they turned against them. There have been several pukwudgie encounters in the Freetown-Fall River State Forest. they have also been witnessed around the country, but mainly in New England. They are known to use magick, kidnap humans and push people off of cliffs. They could be the cause of some deaths at Assonet Ledge, a hotspot in the forest. they are about 3 feet tall, attack there victims with short knives and spears, use sand to blind their victim. In general they are not so friendly creatures. For more information, check out Chris's site (www.masscrossroads.com/pukwudgies) for more information on them.

Sounds like Smeagol needs to go viking on some trolls!

Me and my friends visit the area frequently (profile rock) and if it doesn't bother a bunch of paranoid pot heads im not sure how much there really could be behind these claims, maybye i haven't gone far enough into the forest, but we go at all times of the night... never seen anything, heard the stories, but never had any problems. Chill place to smoke though. haha

• 7 months later...

I live in Lakeville about 10 minutes from the forest, near long pond. I have never actually been deep into the forest, but every time I am near it it freaks me out. But all of these stories are taking place in the middle of the forest, so you probably wont get much on the outskirts.

But I have a little story. Where I live we have horses, and the pasture goes into the woods until it finally reaches the pond quite a ways back. When we first got the horses, my dad (whose childhood was similar to the sixth sense, and can still hear spirits he claims) says that he could feel a spiritual presence of a Native American Girl. btw this area was the sight of King Phillip's War so the Native American ghost presence is very strong. One day when I went to go let them out of the barn, one of the horses had an intricate braid on her mane. I had let them in around 8pm the last night, and they were in the barn all night, so no one was near them. We all thought this was very weird, and my dad was quite sure it was this Native American ghost girl. Over time the braid would come out, and then reappear days later. This happened dozens of times. Also, somehow one morning when i came out I discovered a circle of orange paint on the wood in the hay loft. I have no idea how this got there whatsoever, and can only assume it was somehow related to her. We dont even have orange paint...so unless we have a neighbor who braids horse hair and has orange paint, i have no idea how this stuff happened.

Our neighbor, who grew up on the street, claims that in the 80's sometime, when he was walking home from school, he looked over in the woods where our house would later be built, and he saw a girl who looked like a Native American walking in the woods. He looked away and looked back shortly after, and she was gone. And on top of that, one of my relatives who claims to sense spirits, said that there was something very odd about the woods behind our pasture, and we had never told her a thing about what had been happening. So there is quite a bit of evidence that there is something going on back there.

Anyways, this is just another example of how there are some crazy things going on around this area. I've always wanted to go deep into the state forest but I haven't gotten the courage to do so yet. My friends are talking about maybe trying it this summer though.

• 1 month later...

I belong to a paranormal research society. I have had more than my experiences in the Freetown state forest. I have seen spirit/ shadow people, A large white wolf, and a Spirit of a little girl near the sight where they found Mary lou Arruda's body in 1978. I didn't know the history of the forest until after researching the sitings I had. I recently spent the entire night in the forest with my group. We had some people feel like they were pushed. We heard laughter in the woods. occasionally we heard groans, breathing and screams. We walked 2.5 miles in the woods. ending at the top of the Ledge. Many time seeing lights glowing like softball size fireflies at the top of the trees. On from our group swore she saw some one jumping from tree to tree but unverified via film. Still need to go over evp recording and Hi 8 Video.

• Like 1

Anywhere murder or rape has been committed is bound to feel eerie. Sounds like that forest may be a popular dump site for human remains to me. Bet there is more than a few more out there too.

i doubt this is true, but a neighbor of mine told me about a girl scout camp in the state forest that "dissappeared" over night in the 70s. he has taken me to the alleged "remains" of the girl scout camp, and it did in fact look like there had once been a girl scout camp there, but again i doubt the factuality of this story.

There are so many things about this that I find somewhat disturbing. I can't believe you went into the forest with this individual, even if it is your neighbour (Ted Bundy used to live next door to someone too). Did it not cross your mind that this person could possibly be involved in some of these missing cases? Since you live across the road from the forest then I can only assume that this person can just as easily access it. Maybe he wanted to show you his "work", it seems a very odd story to tell someone to begin with, particularly considering the time elapsed since the 1970s, let alone take them on a nice hike to a site that is allegedly connected to a disappearance. I don't know if I believe the "girl guide" bit but what if he had actually been referring to some girls that just happened to be out camping but in any case, I don't know it just sounds extremely off to me .. he obviously knows the forest tracks like the back of his hand, the question is how and why.

Of course, I am merely speculating, but if my neighbour told me something like that, alarm bells would definitely start ringing.

Do you know what year this girl guide disappearance supposedly happened?

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm going to be camping and off roading in there this summer. I'm defiantly bringing my Mossberg 500. Better to have it and never need it than need it and not have it.

I'm going to be camping and off roading in there this summer. I'm defiantly bringing my Mossberg 500. Better to have it and never need it than need it and not have it.

Don't care much about it. No problem!

• 9 months later...

Cool stories. I love stuff about spooky woods.

But honestly, if you look at it objectively, you have an area of approximately 5,000 acres near what is a fairly populous area of the North East. If I were going to commit a crime or dump a body, that's where I'd go to do it.

I bet that if you looked at crime statistics for forest tracts and parks in similar high population areas, you'd find very similar levels of incidents.

As to the satanic cult stories, if they were as prevalent as the urban legends contend, we'd all spend half the day running from cloaked knife weilding sons and daughters of Satan.

But then again, it was a FREAKING EMU!

Edited by Rafterman

omg is this for real, there was something similar to this in a wood somewhere in england, damn those satanic cult people

Sandford, I believe.

• 9 months later...

Hello everyone, first post here.

I come from Rhode Island, I'm a hiker, out-doorsman, and paranormal enthusiast.

Anyways, on to the juice.

Visited Freetown State Forest today, for the first time on foot. The other times Id been there it was in the Jeep, just cruising the main roads and hitting the mud. I will admit though, all time spent out of the Jeep was a little strange. Not so much so I would worry about it, just odd happenings here and there, as happens in the woods.

I have a friend in Fall River, he and I went there one day to cruise in the 4x4's and when we stopped while talking, we heard a scream/screeching sound from in the woods. Very strange. I thought it was a woman being attacked, but when I went to investigate, utter silence. Not a breath of wind.

Today, we went back after over a year since this last visit.

We hiked the roads and some trails, visited the Ledge, and a few unmarked, unnamed paths and trails in the deeper parts of the forest. A few strange happenings this day...

1. Continuously led back to the Ledge after taking multiple roads and trails in the opposite direction, total 4x back to the ledge.

2. Stumbled across the Wampanoag Powwow meeting grounds (seemed to be anyways) as well as the site of a massive fire that took out their common building. Here is where we heard the same scream as before, just a hop skip + jump from where we heard it last time. There were multiple trails coming from this clearing, we didnt venture down any of them. Oddly enough, we were discussing taking them when we heard the scream. (resembled a war cry, long, sustained howl/scream)

3. While walking some trails (the unmarked variety) I came across the normal prints of animals. Duck, deer, small mammal...And also found broken branches at my eye level. I am 6' tall, these branches were about 1"-1.5" around, all were snapped in the same direction as if they were leaned on while walking. Just a bit weird there.Whatever did it would have to be pretty dang big. These trails seemed to go on and on, we turned back for fear night would fall and we'd still be out there.

In addition to these more memorable moments in the day, we found clothing, children's clothing mind you, strewn about the ground a little ways off the road. Middle school jersey for Fall River. Also, I had the distinct feeling we were being followed/watched. I could have sworn I saw people in the woods...

I have been hiking for years, and usually alone. I am not easily spooked out in the bush, and this place just has a bad vibe. Heed this fellow travelers, don't go in there alone, go with a buddy or group. Not to disparage the park or its users, but every time Ive been in there, close in toe have been some seedy folk, prowling about. I will be posting a video on my youtube channel about what happened today, as well as included footage of some of the areas we visited if anyone is interested. My YouTube channel name is RootBoot22, feel free to check it out once it's up, as well as my other hiking videos.

My friend and I plan to go out there again soon to do more research on the unmarked trails soon, and as always there will be video on my channel.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

i happen to live in freetown, massachusetts. the state forest is about 50 feet across the street from my house (literally). the wikipedia article about the state forest isnt exactly complete, and there are many things that it does not mention. for example, in december of 2005, a man wearing no clothes and with multiple knife wounds in the abdomen ran out of the state forest and into house (about 6 houses down from me) urging the occupents to call the police. he has as of yet stated who attacked him. there have also been animal mutilations in the state forest, primarily cows, which has been attributed to cult activity. i doubt this is true, but a neighbor of mine told me about a girl scout camp in the state forest that "dissappeared" over night in the 70s. he has taken me to the alleged "remains" of the girl scout camp, and it did in fact look like there had once been a girl scout camp there, but again i doubt the factuality of this story. as for the bridgewater triangle, my father lives in dighton massachusetts, which is considered to be part of the triangle. i have witnessed something paranormal in dighton, that could very well indeed be classified as a ufo (ask if you want to hear about this). i have also seen the dighton rock (in its own little museum) which is a large boulder that has an unkown writing carved into it. many people claim it is from aliens, but historians say it closely resembles ancient phoenician script (the phoenicia was an empire in western asia from 3500 years ago, god knows how they got here). other theories include the norse, native americans, portuguese, and chinese. in long pond, freetown, a friend of mine and have witnessed something that we will not forget for the rest of our lives (very long story, ask if you want to hear it). i would be happy to answer any questions regarding the bridgewater triangle or the state forest.

I know you posted this a few years back, but I would love more info on the disappearing girl scout camp, that story sounds very intriguing, how could a camp just disappear over night?

• 2 weeks later...

That's 30 minutes from my house, but I have never been there. It seems like a dangerous place to go; I don't know why someone would walk around there if they knew they could be murdered.

• 6 months later...

It certainly can be a dangerous place, but I only go with other people now. Ive been on my own in there before and the silence was deafening. Too many bad vibes and deja-vu's to stay there for long. I havent been back since my last post, nor do I look forward to going back, after meditations and dreams about this place and the secrets it holds.

I have been to this forest, in fact this is just a small part of the legends and things that occur in the Hockomock triangle. Giant cats, black helicopters, bigfoot, the dover devil/demon, large snakes, time "Traps", ancient graffitti among other things have been reported for over thirty years. The best one, in my opinion, is the Red Head of 44! The spirit of a red headed ghost that walks/travels that section of road. Very interesting area. Some people even have theories that since the tip of the triangle reaches into Fall River, it has a connection to why Lizzie Borden murdered her parents. Was excited to see this post here!

• Like 1

An interesting place - anyone else have any interesting stories to share about this place...?

spoooooky

That's 30 minutes from my house, but I have never been there. It seems like a dangerous place to go; I don't know why someone would walk around there if they knew they could be murdered.

Maybe there adrenaline junkies and wanna live on the edge lol

This place sounds creepy, just the type place I would like to visit. I saw a ghost once so I don't doubt there are spirits. That's why I would want someone to go with me to this place

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

A few years ago I had a very disturbing experience in the Freetown state forest. It happened at a place called "the ledge", a 60 ft cliff face carved from decades of quarrying dating back to the 1800's .. anyhow one night myself and a few friends drove to the top of the cliff around 11:30 pm and parked. There was not a soul to be seen, compete total blackness. Not more than a second after getting out of the car, we all heard a very loud, deep and clear voice. It was a dialect directed at us which was not of this century. It sounded like really old English, it was very hard to understand. I cannot describe it in words, or recall what was being said. It had a desperate and evil tone, like a scripture...It was frightening. The voice seemed to fill the entire area, as if it was coming from no one place or direction. We listened for about 7 seconds, then quickly jumped back in the car and sped out of there as fast as possible.

There are two explanations, neither are very comforting for us. It was a encounter with a lone pyschotic cult member, or it was a paranormal experience. It was way too elaborate to be a normal person just trying to freak us out. If it was a human, he was extremely sick in the head. Night time in there is a world in itself, I do not advise venturing in after dark.

• 2 weeks later...

I made an account specifically for this thread. Kinda weird how there was a recent post too.

I go to the Freetown State Forest A LOT. I would probably say I've been there a total of 150+ hours. I my Dad lives in it, and my mom lives a few miles away. The spot is a place I go a lot with my friends to mess around, see what we can, if anythings weird going on. I've done a ton of research on it, and tried to find the creepiest places.

Theres a few things that are posted on the internet.

- 41.730082,-71.067389 Put that on google map, and switch it to satelite. It's an abandoned house with an abandoned car. Well the car was there in 2010, and now it's gone. I dont know where it went, it was a 60's GTO with no engine, wheels roof caved in, rotted to crap. And it's not there anymore. No clue why. House remains there untouched. Granted its missing a wall. There are three nearby sheds that surround it also, but I've never checked them out. Going this week.

283826_1741372153704_1221421_n_zps2993547a.jpg

Theres a picture of me on the car. You can also see it on google earth. I've been to this place 4 times, the first two no problems. The third, rocks were thrown at my friends and I as we were walking to it. Large rocks from the woods. We didn't see anyone or anything. The last time I went with my friend and she was on my back when we heard stomping noises, didn't see anything but heard the stomping louder. Like marching, needless to say we ran out and didn't look back.

- There is also a pet cemetery that they say is the most haunted place in the forest. I personally have never been for some reason, but I hear lots of stories of things that happen there.

- There are also a lot of 1600's-1800's graveyards all surrounding the area. There's a few on main roads and just randomly in the woods. There's also a child cemetery.

I've never seen anything directly happen that would raise my suspicion in the area. Just tons of weird noises at the Assonet Ledge. My friends car dies repeatedly everytime we're in the forest for no apparent reason. 2008 car btw.

Never seen or heard anything about cults. There was two people who were suspected of it in the late 70's early 80's and it has stuck. I find it very hard to believe there is anything going on there cult wise. Worst thing out there is a drunk redneck with their jeep.

It's a huge party spot, there's bonfires, potheads, four wheelers, etc. But it's definitely a very spooky place.

EDIT: I just realized that the place I linked to is the iceshack/icehouse everyone has been looking to find. Im actually scared out of my wits. It all makes sense with everything that has gone on there.

http://darksideparanormal.weebly.com/fall-river---freetown-state-forest.html

Edited by prominentalex
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'm just discovering the details of FSF. I live in Massachusetts about a half hour from the forest. I'm seriously considering heading out there sometime within the next few weeks (before it really starts to get cold) to spend the night. If I run into any Satanic Cults I'll be sure to report back.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually live in the Fall River Freetown reservation and have for over 10+ years and I have heard and seen things I just cannot explain but I have always taking it for granted it is very quiet and secluded and just like any other place we have our problems here too not just with the woods but with the suicides in households and people that showed no signs of depression have killed themselves and it is odd but I have pictures of these woods with faces in them after hearing sounds and snapping a couple shots I have video recordings and other various evidence that cannot be explained as normal I live on the main road in the middle of the reservation and at first I used to drive and walk out here at all hours of the night by myself and never thought about it I have seen Indians powwow wing I have seen people driving by me as I walk screaming for help trying to jump out of cause and then I would follow them and they would pull over and walk out into the woods as if nothing was wrong and they were screaming for help I have feelings of being watched followed very eerie vibes but by now I'm used to have lived out here for so long that it's normal to me I will post some ghostly photos if I can figure out how I know the history very well and I know the Pocasset Wampanoag Indians that powwow here and have sat in on numerous powwows and they believe that there is definitely a higher presence that we don't see here And I definitely believe it if you have any questions I definitely know a lot about the land I know all most paths and there are underground tunnels out here pet cemeteries ect and I would be happy to give anybody The coordinates to find them! I would love to share as much history as I know about the land with anybody that is truly interested. Look in the middle of this photo right underneath the white line that diagonally crosses through it if you need to zoom you'll see it and once finding the face and zooming out you see it very clearly it's a face and the shoulders of a person or ghost I'm sure of and there was nobody but me and my boyfriend out there

post-143512-0-46670000-1383578281_thumb.

I also have coordinates to the ice house and was there Halloween , I saw and heard some unexplainable things I had to force my boyfriend to go and now with all the concluding evidence we captured he is planning on going back!

Edited by Ambrose_xo