Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nugent: Gun-free zones a recipe for disaster

Fluffybunny

How about Kenesaw, Georgia? They have an ordinance that states that every home owner is required to have a gun. Know what the violent crime and burglary rates there were in 2006? Anyone? There were 0%.

:lol: point well made.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truethat

• Bill Hill

• Michelle

• __Kratos__

Criminologist and gun-control critic Gary Kleck attributes a drop of 89% in the residential burglary rate to the law (Kleck, 1991), and Kennesaw is often cited by advocates of gun ownership as evidence that gun ownership deters crime (see, for instance, this 2004 sheet of talking points from the Gun Owners Foundation). Other criminologists dispute the 89% figure, using the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting data, and find instead a small, statistically insignificant increase in burglaries after the law was passed (McDowall, Wiersema and Loftin, 1989; McDowall, Lizotte and Wiersema, 1991).

Kennesaw, Georgia

It seens like a nice little town by the way.

I see a couple of people have done their homework. :tu:

If you're not familiar with the area, Kennesaw borders Atlanta, so it's not exactly a little town. If I'm not mistaken, I think Atlanta is about the 30th largest city in the US. Kennesaw is basically considered an annex of Atlanta. Driving through, you can't tell where one stops and the other begins.

I've often heard gun control advocates say that they don't want to live in the "Wild,wild west". So, I looked into it. How many here are aware that they actually had a lower crime rate than we do in many of our bigger cities?

Criminals are selfish. They want to take what they want but, are afraid of taking any serious personal risk. Honestly, which house would you rather break into? One where you know for sure there is no gun or one where you know there are guns?

How about Kenesaw, Georgia? They have an ordinance that states that every home owner is required to have a gun. Know what the violent crime and burglary rates there were in 2006? Anyone? There were 0%.

One fact that many in favor of gun control seem to over look is that humans were doing a damn fine job of killing each other long before guns came along. They forget that the only places where gun control has ever worked is in places like Hitlers Germany. Those who still have the child like innocence to believe that a law can get rid of all the guns in a nation are "Utopians". They say "in a perfect world no one would have a gun". Fine, but they forget that in a perfect world, there would be no criminals either. The only way that gun control can work is if all the people who break laws suddenly decide that they will follow this one. In the mean time, it's the honest folks are left totally defenceless.

At least I'm aware of those numbers. The problem with statistics in America is that too often they tend to show the numbers that the party who arranged the research want them to show. In politics, this is done by both parties. The other thing is that statistically, it's hard to compare small towns and big cities. The thing is, crime etc. tends to grow exponentially with the number of people. Big cities are just much more chaotic than small towns and operate differently in many aspects.

However, I'm willing to believe there is a possibility that those numbers are at least in the correct direction. What it might indicate though is that crime has moved to other locations. Take Kennesaw for example. Michelle said it's practically a part of Atlanta, and Atlanta isn't exactly the safest city in America as far as I know. I don't know if there's any research on the subject, but couldn't it be possible that the criminal element simply moved nearby locations that didn't have that law? If that's the case, nothing was really solved with that law or ordinance. By one example only, it is impossible to know what would happen if all of America had that kind of laws. But, I do see your point. That's why I said I understand why many people have guns in their houses; nothing wrong with that really in my opinion.

In your last paragraph you're wrong. You need to understand that it is not only in places like Hitler's Germany where gun control has worked. It's simply not true, and you shouldn't state things as facts if you don't know for certain. There are many countries that have some degrees of gun control, such as mine, where it actually does work. And Finland is very close to the top in the Economist Intelligence Unit Index of Democracy i.e. very far from Hitler's Germany.

I've often heard gun control advocates say that they don't want to live in the "Wild,wild west". So, I looked into it. How many here are aware that they actually had a lower crime rate than we do in many of our bigger cities?

Criminals are selfish. They want to take what they want but, are afraid of taking any serious personal risk. Honestly, which house would you rather break into? One where you know for sure there is no gun or one where you know there are guns?

One fact that many in favor of gun control seem to over look is that humans were doing a damn fine job of killing each other long before guns came along. They forget that the only places where gun control has ever worked is in places like Hitlers Germany. Those who still have the child like innocence to believe that a law can get rid of all the guns in a nation are "Utopians". They say "in a perfect world no one would have a gun". Fine, but they forget that in a perfect world, there would be no criminals either. The only way that gun control can work is if all the people who break laws suddenly decide that they will follow this one. In the mean time, it's the honest folks are left totally defenceless.

You keep refering to 'criminals' but as I understand it, the people that have gone on these type of rampages were not considered criminals until after they had committed there crime, as in the latest incident.

I see a couple of people have done their homework. :tu:

If you're not familiar with the area, Kennesaw borders Atlanta, so it's not exactly a little town. If I'm not mistaken, I think Atlanta is about the 30th largest city in the US. Kennesaw is basically considered an annex of Atlanta. Driving through, you can't tell where one stops and the other begins.

Much like whit what happens in the metropolitan area of the Grand Buenos Aires. PLaces like Vicente Lopez, Avellaneda and other are separate cities, but you cannot tell when finish one and begins the other. The power of the urban expansion.