Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Catapult boy eaten after taunting crocodile

GoddessWhispers

I don't think you fully grasp the concept of "Big teeth + fleshy idiot animal = fleshy idiot animal that's been throwing things at an animal with big teeth, eating and killing the idiot fleshy animal."

He died because he willingly and knowingly climbed, (climbed) into a den full of crocodiles (crocodiles - agressive territorial animals) after aggitating it by throwing things at it. It was his own fault entirely and - unless he had a bad case of the stupid - should not have climbed into a den full of crocodiles. Being 9 has nothing to do with anything, 4 years olds understand (even if they don't comprehend) not to climb into cages with dangerous animals.

Anyway, My points across, I'm leaving it at this.

I obviously understand it was the kids fault thats not my argument, he didnt deserve to die. and saying its good that he did is pure evil.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• R3LOAD

• laveticus666

• joc

• m. Moe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont think that its right for the kid to die...but it was no suprise that it happened.

Wasn't this child poking the croc with sticks?

How couldnt it know that it was a stupid thing to do? I know that it was probably spur of the moment/impulsive, but still, you would have thought that a nine year old kid would have had waaay more sense than that.

About it deserving to die, though, I think that its a little extreme. Maybe just an arm/leg mauled off would have been suffice (jks, really)

But having the crocodile shot I think was apsolutley outrageous.

If this croc had been a human, and being poked, its unlikely that he would be charged with murder...or at least have a reduced sentence because it was provoked.

But because its an animal...it just needs to be shot?

Grrr....poor croc.

I think that he is the victim here

It's sad on all counts, but that's what happens when you have irresponsible parents.

I was alone babysitting a newborn, six hours a day, when I was ten. I was also rescuing animals, not torturing them.

People don't give kids enough credit and baby them far to long. Responsibility and doing a good job=confidence and independence.

Gawd...I sound like Super Nanny... :unsure:

I have a 9 year old brother who is actually very intelligent, but when he gets together with his friends, he can say and do some pretty stupid things (though I'm sure harrassing a wild and unpredictable predator wouldn't be high on that list). Obviously this kid didn't know any better, but that's something I'd blame his parents for. I think it's a sad thing that this kid has died so horrifically, I'm sure most of us have seen crocs in action on TV at least - it wouldn't be a pleasant way to go. If anyone is at fault though I'd say it's the zoo, how did the kid get close enough to be dragged in? obviously the animals weren't maintained very well. It's a shame a poor croc has had to die for the zoo's negligence and this kids stupidity.

Edited by n_a_t_a_l_i_e

^I don't think it's the zoo's fault...kids are slippery little creatues that can climb like monkeys and open almost any childproof lock.

Edited by Michelle

Indeed, where were they ?? He was only 9 for pete's sake, I wonder how they're feeling now ??

That said, the kid got what he bargained for, crocs aren't toys/pets/playthings........ :no:

Crocodiles can make great pets! I raised a Nile Croc from a hatchling and he was a gentle as a kitten (unless you ARE a kitten). He had the run of the house, a pool in one room and caught pigeons off the balcony. You could pick him up and bit him like a tabby cat, and I know of Salt Water Crocs just as tame. I too video in Sri Lanka of a little girl carrying one around that was a long as she was.

I had mine for about 10 years, and guess he was about eight feet long when neighbors complained and I had to give him to a zoo becasue I didn't have a permit. Now that I am back in the U.S. I have an American Alligator who is not quite as tame as he was already several years old when I adopted him.

I dont think that its right for the kid to die...but it was no suprise that it happened.

Wasn't this child poking the croc with sticks?

How couldnt it know that it was a stupid thing to do? I know that it was probably spur of the moment/impulsive, but still, you would have thought that a nine year old kid would have had waaay more sense than that.

About it deserving to die, though, I think that its a little extreme. Maybe just an arm/leg mauled off would have been suffice (jks, really)

But having the crocodile shot I think was apsolutley outrageous.

If this croc had been a human, and being poked, its unlikely that he would be charged with murder...or at least have a reduced sentence because it was provoked.

But because its an animal...it just needs to be shot?

Grrr....poor croc.

I think that he is the victim here

No, it didn't "need" to be killed. But "revenge" is a primitive but still very needful human urge. It was especially disgusting because this wasn't like a rogue animal loose in a populated human area, but already a captive sentenced to "life imprisonment" in a zoo with no possiblity of parole. Chinese zoos are such cruel and miserable places perhaps this was the lucky one to be put out of its misery. I would not be surprised if it had been starved as well.

But the U.S. is no better. Large American Alligators are often executed for doing nothing more that living near people, and are killed "before" they might attack someone, and it is a fact that most never bother humans, even very large ones.

I was quite surprised with the compassion of Australian authorities for not killing a crocodile becasue a stupid American tourist swam in its own wildlife refuge despite many signs and verbal warnings. But I do know in other cases where they have killed wild crocodiles in their own habitat for simply behaving like crocodiles and preying on stupid humans. We, as a race, will probably never overcome our basic primate need for revenge on any creature they preys on our kind.

shame about the croc,

btw a saltwater croc would whip an alligator anyday, munch it for breakfast, and still have room for pavarotti.

edited for cultural ref.... still have room for barry white.

I will try to end this silly debate. I believe the largest authentically recorded American Alligator was 23 feet long, very close to the largest recorded "Saltie" though there are legends of these creatures exceeding 30 feet, but this has never been proven.

In truth, crocodiles in general, are lighter built than Alligators, and crocodiles are known to have their slender snouts bitten off in fights with their own kind.

Inch for inch, an alligator is a far stouter and more rugged animal than a crocodile, and I do recall a fight where the two species were caged together in florida and the heavier bodied alligator "won". An alligator with its heavier body, and much stronger snout would have the advantage if the creatures were the same size.

If it had not been for all the hunting, there would still be many 20 foot plus alligators in the U.S., just as dangerous as Salt Water Crocs. In fact, in the early historical accounts, we see huge bull alligators attacking and eating early explorers. There are several instances during the Texas revolution of people being taken by them while trying to cross rivers. Nowaday, alligators breed at a much smaller size, and rarely grow large enough to be dangerous becasue of the hunting. So yes, Salties are generally more aggressive towards people than alligators today, but this has no bearing on the advantages of an alligator versus a same sized croc.

At some zoos these animals are kept together and do not bother each other. And being such distinctly different species, are not going to fight over the same mates. In florida, alligators and american crocodiles share some of the same environment.

It is completely unfathomable to me how so many on this forum could actually value the life of a reptile over that of a human child. It is tragic. Kids are kids, they don't know 'cause and effect' the way adults do. What blows me away is that so many find humor in tragedy of this kind and side with a crocodile over a flesh and blood human being. :cry:

No, it didn't "need" to be killed

Actually a friend of mine just sent me a link to the video of them opening the croc up, and I think given the circumstances it was the necessary thing to do. They pulled both the poor kid's legs and arms as well as his head from the animal. I'm sure his parents would appreciate being able to bury their child though :hmm: I feel bad that an animal had to be killed, but you can see they had a reason.

WOW I cant believe the mods can let people say stuff like this without getting banned. HE was 9 ******G years old. he was a child he couldnt weigh choices and consequences. your a punk like 80% of this forum, if that was your kid that was dead im sure you wouldnt say "one less moron to reproduce the genepool."

Yeah, they do. It's called freedom of speech, I wasn't swearing or flaming people. I was expressing my opinion. If you disagree with my opinion, thats your own choice, and if you call me a "punk" for believing in that, I guesse I am a "punk". A child of 9 should know right from wrong. They should know that breaking rules and animal abuse, especially to large meat eating predators, is wrong. They should have common sense. They should know that climbing into a den of crocodiles to tease them is a bad idea. And if I was their parents, I would be ashamed of them.

Edited by MR_MOE

Yeah, they do. It's called freedom of speech, I wasn't swearing or flaming people. I was expressing my opinion. If you disagree with my opinion, thats your own choice, and if you call me a "punk" for believing in that, I guesse I am a "punk". A child of 9 should know right from wrong. They should know that breaking rules and animal abuse, especially to large meat eating predators, is wrong. They should have common sense. They should know that climbing into a den of crocodiles to tease them is a bad idea. And if I was their parents, I would be ashamed of them.

what i was saying is that its a strange world we live in when a mod sends me a warning for swearing in this thread and doesnt warn people when they say its good riddance that a 9 year old is dead. is that freedom of speech? and I wasnt arguing that, the child knew it was wrong but in childrens minds they have not matured enough to balance choices and consequences. was it a unbelievably stupid decision? yes. should he die for it? no. its that simple, no he shouldnt of died.

lol i would disown my kid too he was that stupid

was it a unbelievably stupid decision? yes. should he die for it? no. its that simple, no he shouldnt of died.

Everyone that torments a predatory animal SHOULD die, that's how nature works. It just happens to be a slight shame that the kid was 9. However, being as he WAS stupid enough to do it, he reaped the consequences of his action. All actions have consequences, this particular consequence happened to be fatal. :huh:

What the hell is with kids these days. Just in the news last week some homeless guy got hit in the fae with a brick by a 12 year old. Kid deserved it. p***es me off they shot the croc.

what i was saying is that its a strange world we live in when a mod sends me a warning for swearing in this thread and doesnt warn people when they say its good riddance that a 9 year old is dead. is that freedom of speech? and I wasnt arguing that, the child knew it was wrong but in childrens minds they have not matured enough to balance choices and consequences. was it a unbelievably stupid decision? yes. should he die for it? no. its that simple, no he shouldnt of died.

I sure as hell a nine your old would know beating and tourturing a living creature. He hurt the croc, the croc got him back. Obviously he wasnt to mentaly right.

I sure as hell a nine your old would know beating and tourturing a living creature. He hurt the croc, the croc got him back. Obviously he wasnt to mentaly right.

what?

Yeah, thats the world we live in. Get over it. You swore, you broke the rules, you got a warning, you'll survive.

Exactly. If you are going to abuse a large predator animal, then it will strike back and the only one to blame is yourself.

I'm not saying the kid isn't to blame thats the last time i repeat this. dont be so ignorant. im saying that its cruel that you say its good riddance get it right moe. and dont tell me what to do, I'm def not going to listen to someone as cruel and ignorant as you.

I have a 9 year old son. I just asked him "Would you ever climb into a crocodile cage at the zoo, at night, and throw rocks at them?"

He promptly answered "No way!"

I then asked him "Why not?"

Here is his verbatim response:

Well, first of all, Mommy, I shouldn't leave the house at night, or without you knowing. And zoos aren't open at night, so it would be wrong to go in without buying a ticket. Besides, crocodiles are carnivores... you know, they eat meat. And people are really just meat.. and bones and stuff."

I then asked "Is that all?"

He thought for a moment and said, "Well, its not nice to throw rocks at animals anyway. That's not showing respect for their feelings."

I think I can safely say that my son will never make the 'mistake' of sneaking into a zoo at night and attacking a crocodile.

---

The boy in this case didn't 'deserve to die.' Maybe the parents should've taught their child a bit better. Its amazing how many fewer "mistakes" children make if their parents take the time to teach them right from wrong, and respect for everything that deserves it. Crocodiles, I think, fall into that category.

what?

jesus christ i really didnt make much sense there did i? I gota stop multi tasking.

I have a 9 year old son. I just asked him "Would you ever climb into a crocodile cage at the zoo, at night, and throw rocks at them?"

He promptly answered "No way!"

I then asked him "Why not?"

Here is his verbatim response:

Well, first of all, Mommy, I shouldn't leave the house at night, or without you knowing. And zoos aren't open at night, so it would be wrong to go in without buying a ticket. Besides, crocodiles are carnivores... you know, they eat meat. And people are really just meat.. and bones and stuff."

I then asked "Is that all?"

He thought for a moment and said, "Well, its not nice to throw rocks at animals anyway. That's not showing respect for their feelings."

I think I can safely say that my son will never make the 'mistake' of sneaking into a zoo at night and attacking a crocodile.

---

The boy in this case didn't 'deserve to die.' Maybe the parents should've taught their child a bit better. Its amazing how many fewer "mistakes" children make if their parents take the time to teach them right from wrong, and respect for everything that deserves it. Crocodiles, I think, fall into that category.

Yeah, yeah, blah, blah...no disrespect intended...ABC ran a story with video footage of a bunch of kids who were shown guns, told how bad, they were, told that if they ever saw one to tell a teacher and never touch one...immediately the kids were placed in an adjacent room where there were 'guns' laying around. Within 5 minutes these kids were putting them in there mouths, pulling triggers at each other...get the point?

I saw that a few years ago. Weren't those kids about five or six years old? To be fair, the guns were left around the room like toys...the equivalent of leaving a tray of cookies under their noses and telling them they can't touch them.

A completely different scenario in my opinion.

I saw that a few years ago. Weren't those kids about five or six years old? To be fair, the guns were left around the room like toys...the equivalent of leaving a tray of cookies under their noses and telling them they can't touch them.

A completely different scenario in my opinion.

Okay...good point...you are correct. Nonetheless...kids don't know anything! All kids are stupid to a degree...ignorant and stupid at the same time....

...case in point...when I was in 7th grade...and yeah, I was a bright kid with good parents, etc., etc., I made good grades and had a clue about alot of things (I thought)...consider my reasoning capabilities at the age of 12:

A friends mother was raking leaves and raked out a snake about 16 inches long or so. I thought, 'Cool, a snake' and proceeded to coax it into a glass jar. I put the top on and considered my 'prize'. 'What kind of snake is this?', I wondered. 'Hmmm', thought I, 'I wonder if it is a water snake'. Well, I reasoned that a good way to find that out would be to put the snake in some water...if it swam it was a water snake...if not...I didn't know that all snakes could swim. I took the snake into my Dad's little work room and filled the sink up with water. I unscrewed the lid and dumped the snake into the sink ( a small sink btw) and was quite surprised when the snake suddenly 'swam'. Actually the snake swam as fast as lightening right up into my face! about 3 inches of the snake was in the sink the rest of it was standing straight up ready to strike me between my beady little eyes! I calmly put the jar over the snakes head and took it to science class the next day where I learned that it was a CopperHead...very poisonous!

A long story to say that kids don't have complete reasoning capablilities and that anyone who believes they do make a mistake in 'overestimating' the mentality of children. I'm sure everyone could tell 'stupid' stories of their youth. Unfortunately this kid won't be able to tell the tale.

And btw...I think Crocodiles were put here on Earth to make handsome shoes and wallets!

he was only a child, he cant distinguish and measure the dangers of such stupid acts, poor kid, poor croc