Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Liger (Lion and Tiger Cross)

Halo_Jones

Saw this while watching kids TV with my son.

Thought it was intresting also a little scarey, I don't really agree with crossing two different species especially as they would never meet naturally.

Anyway see what you think.

http://www.foundationtv.co.uk/brilliantcreatures/show4item3.html

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Odinson

• Panthera leo atrox

• JayRob303

• Paulwhale

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great find,  Halo!

That cat is HUGE,  as big as a bear!!  

So,  he was bred the natural way?  It's still man intervening though.  Hope it's for a useful purpose.

I found this site called Sierra Safari Zoo that talks more about the ligers.   Very informative.

http://www.sierrasafarizoo.com/animals/liger.htm

It states that Siberian Tigers average between 400 and 600 pounds. They estimate that a liger that they have named Hobbs to weigh about twice that.

All ligers are presumed to be born sterile. Not unusual for hybrids.

That Ligra must be the biggest land predator on earth at the moment!  :o

Odin S.  :s9

[blue]Reminds me of an Arthur C. Clarke short story I read once where in the future they had genetically scaled down tigers to the size of dogs/cats and were using them as pets.

I think some things are just plain wrong. Ligers are just not meant to be.

I love tigers. They're the best kinds of animals we have. Oh, apart from dolphins.

[/blue] :s1

That is one big cat. It's also typical for a liger. Unlike the tigon, ligers are prone to gigantism and are about double the size of an adult male siberian tiger.

Although easy to breed male lions with female tigers, I still find it disturbing. Like LB said, it just seems so wrong

Thats what I call a big cat.   :s01

I wouldn't be surprised if Genetic Engineering is used in the near future to cross other types of animals with each other.

I read an article recently about a team who managed to very slightly cross a spider with a goat - aimed at creating a goat that could produce milk that contained a special spider-web ingredient that could be used to make tough bullet-proof vests and the like. They called it the "Spidergoat".

Goodness knows what they're going to come up with next.  :-/

:sj

I'm reminded of the movie,

"The Island of Dr. Moreau"    :s9

they want to cross a Lion and a Tiger  ?

I wouldn't want to anger either of them let alone both at the same time!!

;D

A "Spidergoat"?

Sounds like a good name for a Sci-Fi movie.

:s2   :s2   :s2   :s2   :s2   :s2   :s2   :s2   :s2

WOW! He is really big!  :o I have heard of liger's and i've seen some but i have never seen one that BIG! You sure would not want to get him mad!  :s4 That would be scary.

I think I've heard of ligers somewhere, too. And tigons, as well. I know little about breeding lions with tigers, but it doesn't seem that unusual to me, I don't know why.

• 2 years later...

Thought it was intresting also a little scarey, I don't really agree with crossing two different species especially as they would never meet naturally.

http://www.foundationtv.co.uk/brilliantcre...show4item3.html

13872[/snapback]

Isn't there a theory that a pair of Liger's were responsible for the killings of 135 men in Kenya, Africa 1898? Supposedly they attacked human's due to an infected tooth, and human 'meat' was easier to eat...

13872[/snapback]

Isn't there a theory that a pair of Liger's were responsible for the killings of 135 men in Kenya, Africa 1898? Supposedly they attacked human's due to an infected tooth, and human 'meat' was easier to eat...

644866[/snapback]

Those were lions. The strange thing was their lack of manes. The Ghost and The Darkness.

13872[/snapback]

644866[/snapback]

Those were lions. The strange thing was their lack of manes. The Ghost and The Darkness.

644898[/snapback]

I couldn't remember the name, I thought is was The Ghosts of Africa. Is that an actual movie?

13872[/snapback]

644866[/snapback]

644898[/snapback]

I couldn't remember the name, I thought is was The Ghosts of Africa. Is that an actual movie?

644907[/snapback]

Sorry about the quotings. My eyes get fuzzy at night. I can't make out what to delete. sad.gif

Anyway, the movie was also called "The Ghost and The Darkness", starring Michael Douglas and Val Kilmer. But they don't get the lions' looks accurate. I'm trying to find a pic I saw of the lions. They are stuffed and put on display in a museum.

The movie is based on a book called "The Maneaters of Tsavo."

The Tsavo Lions, stuffed. They look creepy. But that's because of how lifeless they look.

user posted image

Checkout the website for more, and larger pics.

Tsavo Maneaters' pics

644917[/snapback]

It is an amazing story, I think I saw something about it on Discovery Channel.

I can't get the link to work, but ligers are nothing new. They've been breed quite often for some time now. Quite a thing to do to an endangered species (the tiger side of it)! rolleyes.gif

Edited by Panthera leo atrox

I can't get the link to work, but ligers are nothing new. They've been breed quite often for some time now. Quite a thing to do to an endangered species (the tiger side of it)! rolleyes.gif

645136[/snapback]

They don't do it for scientific curiousity. They do it because more people will pay to see the largest cats in existence. Same reasoning for the breeding of white tigers. People love to see them.

http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/ligers.html

I seriously thought this was a Napoleon Dynamite joke.

post-14395-1117296905_thumb.jpg

Here’s a link about hybrid cats:

http://members.aol.com/jshartwell/hybrid-bigcats.html

I was interested in this thread, because some 14 years ago I was roaming around in the jungles north-east of Iquitos, Peru, and heard a story about a black jaguar-puma hybrid.

I learned about this story back then when I was talking with a local guide about recent attacks on pigs , cows and people by some big black cat. I asked the guide if it could have been a black jaguar, but he told me this cat was a lot bigger. The only other big cat that’s roaming the jungles of north-eastern Peru is the puma. But when I asked the guide about the possibility it could have been a puma, he again said no, because the cat the locals had seen was much more muscular than a lean puma.

I kept asking and asking, and then I got a hunch: I asked the guide: “Does anyone here keep jaguars and pumas in a cage?” The guide immediately knew where I was going to with my question, and said something like: “O my god, you mean it is some kind of escaped crossbred??” He said he had been thinking all along that it must have been a crossbred between a jaguar and a puma, because the first attacks started in the neighbourhood of the guy he kept both species of cats in one large cage somewhere . Although he kept the cats in separate cages, the cages were in fact created by dividing a large cage in two compartments with wood and bamboo and when the guide, years earlier, visited the guy who kept the cats, he noticed that the dividing wall was a bit crappy and could be torn apart by a strong man. The owner of the cats said not to worry if the wall wasn’t that well build, for the jaguar and the puma were very friendly to each other, one being a male, the other a female…..

Although it has nothing to do with the topic of big hybrid cats, this guide, with whom I was able to speak because he was in command of some English (he was a native who had lived for a year in N-America, but went back to his native country because he was terribly homesick), also told me a rather weird story.

It started when I asked him if he had ever come across an anaconda. He then told me that several years before he had been hunting tapir with some of the men of the village he lived in on the border of the jungle. After walking some hours through the thick and dark undergrowth they came upon a sunlit clearing in the forest and seated themselves on a fallen tree trunk to have a break. After half an hour or so they went on to continue their hunt. When they had finally managed to capture and kill a large tapir they returned to that same clearing to have a pause before going home. They wanted to sit together on that same trunk they sat on hours before, but the trunk was gone! They noticed that from the place the trunk had been lying on the forest floor there was a wide and slowly meandering trail of flattened grass and undergrowth that disappeared into the dark forest. The meandering trail had been at least two to three feet wide………

Abe

Edited by Abramelin