Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

An Introduction to Planetary Defense

BrucePrime

How to prepare for alien invasion

By Scott Hillis

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - When the aliens finally invade Earth, you may wish you had listened to Travis Taylor and Bob Boan.

And if the invasion follows the plot of a typical Hollywood blockbuster, they might also be the guys called in at the last minute to save the day.

After all, they have written "An Introduction to Planetary Defence", a primer on how humanity can defend itself if little green men wielding death rays show up at our cosmic doorstep.

Taylor and Boan are hardly basement-dwelling paranoids obsessed with tinfoil hats and Area 51. Taylor holds advanced degrees in astronomy and physics, and is an associate at consulting firm Booz Allen Hamilton. He and Boan have done consulting work for the Defence Department and the U.S. space agency NASA.

Failure to prepare may mean mankind will have to dig in and fight with improvised weapons and hit-and-run tactics, much the same way Islamic extremists have battled the U.S. military in Iraq, Taylor said.

"You'd have to create an insurgency, a mujahideen-type resistance," Taylor said. "The insurgents know how to win this war against us. It also tells us that if we were attacked by aliens, this is our best defence."

SOURCE

And it looks like the first 25 pages or so are here...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Osirian

• DONTEATUS

• recon_soldier

• Lcvec

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

looking at these fellas background, i strongly believe this is a new Fear tactic.

Funny how it says " When the aliens finally invade Earth "

Pathetic.

although i haven't read more than the press release and the 25 page document --what i have seen of it so far is leaving out some important things .

to have a militia type insurgent war with an advanced alien species will depend on the aliens inability to use superior firepower and technology to their advantage .

our situation in iraq --were not useing our firepower to take out various militias because of adverse political fallout from too many civilian losses .

a warlike alien species from another world will have no qualms about "nuking" large population centers , creating fallout , dropping nano-bot toxins , neutron bombs or whatever WMD they have to de-populate the earth before they arrive . with no humans left = easy pickings.

since we don't know the biology of alien attackers --how do we know the devices we have created to kill people will have much effect on them ??

i think the thing lost is the subtle way a alien invasion could happen-- more like "village of the damned" or "the blob" than "independence day". and --the alien timetable could be over a period of 1,000s of years .

Maybe we should concentrate more on how to open diplomatic communications with another species? Why do we have to always assume the War of the Worlds scenario?

I'm all for that Sam. Sadly, we tend to be a warlike species (right now). Seems it's the only way for many people to relate with this. Pretty futile IMO. Besides, how in the world do you fight an invisible opponent with vastly superior intelligence and technology, unknown numbers, the ability to be "walk ins", shapeshift and project mental images into your mind, and on top of that...is interdimensional? And the answer of course is, you can't. You don't even have a single iota of a chance. Best to adopt the exact opposite approach instead, and in case there really is a threat, trust that other civilizations out there who have our wellbeing at heart will intervene. "war in the heavens"...that passage in the Bible has always intrigued me.

Personally, I hope we're on the verge of full on extraterrestrial contact.

Edited by Osirian

This just sounds like fruitless infotainment to me in a similar vein to that book on how to survive a zombie epidemic.

It always find it amazing to listen to people talk of how to "prepare" for something, when they have never experienced what their preparing for. Lets say, for the sake of argument that a hostile alien species is going to wage war on us at some point. If we wanted to mount an effective defence of our world, then we would need information about them, and what tactics they use. If for example, the way they prefer to deal with a planet like ours, is to use some of their advanced technology, to move a number of large asteroids, so they colide with the Earth. The rocks do the work, and all they have to do is sit back and wait for the dust to clear. If these aliens plan in terms of hundreds of years, than an approach like this might be practical to them. There would be of course no way for us to prepare for that. Even if we spotted these asteroids in time to launch some nukes, there are more rocks in asteroid belt, than nukes on this planet. The point here is, that there is a differance between what is possible, and what is practical. The Tremors character Burt Gummer said it best. Do what you can, with what you have.

Good Journey.

Kyle Rajasthan.

If for example, the way they prefer to deal with a planet like ours, is to use some of their advanced technology, to move a number of large asteroids, so they colide with the Earth. The rocks do the work, and all they have to do is sit back and wait for the dust to clear. If these aliens plan in terms of hundreds of years, than an approach like this might be practical to them. There would be of course no way for us to prepare for that. Even if we spotted these asteroids in time to launch some nukes, there are more rocks in asteroid belt, than nukes on this planet. The point here is, that there is a differance between what is possible, and what is practical. The Tremors character Burt Gummer said it best. Do what you can, with what you have.

Good Journey.

Kyle Rajasthan.

Or they might release a pathogen designed to attack our species, that would be harmless to themselves, killing off the vast majority of Humans. then send (insert your favorite predatory alien here) to mop up any survivors... otherwise leaving the bio-diversity of the planet unharmed... :mellow:

• 3 years later...

<i>How to prepare for alien invasion

By Scott Hillis

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - When the aliens finally invade Earth, you may wish you had listened to Travis Taylor and Bob Boan.

And if the invasion follows the plot of a typical Hollywood blockbuster, they might also be the guys called in at the last minute to save the day.

After all, they have written "An Introduction to Planetary Defence", a primer on how humanity can defend itself if little green men wielding death rays show up at our cosmic doorstep.

Taylor and Boan are hardly basement-dwelling paranoids obsessed with tinfoil hats and Area 51. Taylor holds advanced degrees in astronomy and physics, and is an associate at consulting firm Booz Allen Hamilton. He and Boan have done consulting work for the Defence Department and the U.S. space agency NASA.

Failure to prepare may mean mankind will have to dig in and fight with improvised weapons and hit-and-run tactics, much the same way Islamic extremists have battled the U.S. military in Iraq, Taylor said.

"You'd have to create an insurgency, a mujahideen-type resistance," Taylor said. "The insurgents know how to win this war against us. It also tells us that if we were attacked by aliens, this is our best defence."</i>

<a href="http://uk.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUKN0934498720070425?feedType=RSS&pageNumber=1" target="_blank">SOURCE</a>

And it looks like the first 25 pages or so are <a href="http://www.bookpump.com/bwp/pdf-b/1124473b.pdf" target="_blank">here</a>...

I haven't read this book but I think that some of the assumptions being made by this quote regarding extraterratrial hostiles are either questionable or

halftrue at best. The bottom line is we really have no clear evidence about the intentions of extraterratrials; and although the whole intention of this forum is assuming the et's exist in truth mankind still has no hard scientific evidence if ets really do exist(although the vast preponderance of inconclusive evidence abut them certainly points to their existence). Assuming et's exist then, and assuming the very scant evidence we have about their intenions regarding mankind point to hostility towards us, I think (really going out in a limb) we can assume a few things about them:

-their intelligence is obviously superior to ours as evidenced by the appearance,speed, manuverability of their amazing spacecraft. That their

craft often seem to appear and vanish almost as if by magic shows the vast power they possess over gravity,space and time. What alien technology

and engineering capable of such vast command over gravity,space and time is utterly beyond anything mankind is capable of currently.

-I think that et intelligence is not only different quantitatively than ours but also qualitatively from ours due to differences in biology and

physiology from human beings. We have no concept of et intellectual capability other than that their intelligence is superior to ours. This makes

them unpredicatable and incomprehensible to mankind currently due to that fact that there has never been any formal contact or communication between them and us. I also think that there is the strong possiblity that there is more than one species of et visiting our planet, which makes comprehension of

et intelligence almost hopeless.

Assuming these 2 points about et's then, I think hostilities with et's will be:

-mankind will be hopelessly outmatched, and this is likely I think if only one of the et's visiting our planet decided to start hosilities against us.

Our technology is laughable compared to that of the et's as demonstrated by their spacecraft. Attempting to forumate a defense against et technology

would be an exercise of imagination at best simply because it is so beyond any technology we possess. Formulating possible conventional tactics in modern human warfare against et hostility is thus ridiculous as man has simply no idea what he would be up against.

-what et hositlities would be like is likewise unknowable. Assuming that such hositilies would be like conventional modern warfare is thus erroneous.

Hosilities with et's may come in forms that man is only vaguely familiar with or has no conception of or may not expect. Death may not be the result of

hosilties with et's-maybe physical subjugation, maybe psychological manipulation, for example, will be the et's weapon of choice. Perhaps one the asteroids that scientists fear will strike the earth would be influenced by et's to alter its course for earth. I think that et hositlity would use a modus operandi that they currently employ in their visits to our planet-to not be directly involved with us, to remain unseen, to be the odd quesionable ufo in the sky.

Thus whatever method they use in their hositility with us, it is my belief that man wouldnt even know he was involved in hositlities with et's.

-I dont know which poster in the above forum said it, but one of the posters made a comment that et hostilities may be implented against mankind over such a period of time that man may not even realize he is involved in such hostility due to the et's different conception of the passage of time. I think this is an excellent observation and supports one of my opinions above. I would like to add that if an et is capable the the incredible maniplulatiom of space and time as evidenced by their spacecraft, then their planning against mankind would likewise be as incredible and dominating in the event of hositlities.

Again, man would have no conception of how to combat such dominating and overwhelming planning.

In conclusion I think hostilities with et's is something that we can't seriously consider at all due the overwhelming intelligence, technology and

power that et's possess as evidence by their spacecraft. Whether the spacecraft are manned by et's or remotely contolled by et's from another planet ,

man can't compete with them at all with the current state of technology we possess. But again , we dont even know if the et's are hostile towards

us or not. The vast amount of information we have about encounters with ufos all seem to point to them being curious about us at times, while at other times evading our attempts at intercepting them. Whatever the case, I think hostilities with et's is for the present a topic for science fiction at best.

I'd read a story someplace that alien craft or certain technology was responsible for setting off the explosive force in gun powder. So, if that's true, guns may actually be a mistake. I have serious doubts that IF aliens have advanced psychic abilites or whatever, AND can manipulate peoples minds; visuals,emotions and behaviors, that humans stand any chance against them. I think it best not to provoke them, but likely hard not let them know what you're thinking. Especially how you feel about their appearances.It's hard to believe they aren't at all offended in any way by us. I think it likely we wouldn't even realize they were among us, until it's too late ( if ever) to do anything about it. It just may be that their idea of us appeasing them is to give up the ghost. :cry:

An important part of warfare is infiltration. If you know thy enemy then you know how to defeat him with the least losses suffered as a result. You should check the audio books of Dr Peter Beter (great name) as he talks about this but goes further suggesting that important political personalities have been 'replaced' with lookalikes or organic robotoids whatever they are. We are talking about ET's with advanced technology so you never know.

Apparently caucasians are easier to copy or take over through a kind of possesion perhaps and this is why higher numbers of caucasians suffer with abduction syndrome.

I remmeber reading somewhere that the best way to clone a man would be from the foreskin as it contains all the genes. Thus is it possible the since OT times circumsion has been used as a way of replacing people with identical copies but who now have seemingly miraculous powers. If this is a possibility then maybe there really are two (or more) factions of ET's or IT's or ED's who have been playing out a covert war throughout history. Man is just the weapon or tool used by the two sides.

If ET's were so advanced and aggressive then they would have taken us over by now so either the Matrix is true (don't think so) or they fear us for some reason or they are bound by some intergalactic code of conduct from physically intefering in human affairs.

Just some possibilities but it worries me when ET's are used for fearmongering or amendments to defense policy in anyway because it then makes us more open to deceptions such as Bluebeam, etc

looking at these fellas background, i strongly believe this is a new Fear tactic.

Funny how it says " When the aliens finally invade Earth "

Pathetic.

indeed.... :tu:

reminds one about some of the excuses from the government for dropping the 'official' investigations i.e. 'them' not being hostile....

I laugh too THe Smart little ET`s Greys Blue`s Green`s Rockmonsters what ever!

All they will do is Hop into one of there USO`s and knock off the Drilling heads in all the Deep Offshore Rigs and in about fifty years everything will be ready for them to Light the Fires and They will have a perfect Humanfondu ! :rolleyes:

A good Red to Go with a Human Nibblie bit!

post-68971-014830700 1277574213_thumb.jp

I'm all for that Sam. Sadly, we tend to be a warlike species (right now). Seems it's the only way for many people to relate with this. Pretty futile IMO. Besides, how in the world do you fight an invisible opponent with vastly superior intelligence and technology, unknown numbers, the ability to be "walk ins", shapeshift and project mental images into your mind, and on top of that...is interdimensional? And the answer of course is, you can't. You don't even have a single iota of a chance. Best to adopt the exact opposite approach instead, and in case there really is a threat, trust that other civilizations out there who have our wellbeing at heart will intervene. "war in the heavens"...that passage in the Bible has always intrigued me.

Personally, I hope we're on the verge of full on extraterrestrial contact.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :tu:

We would have absolutely zero defense, When it comes to an alien species.. Period.

For them to travel thousands or millions of light years to take over a planet with primitive beings, That would seriously make no sense for them to travel so vastly across the universe, If we even stood a chance against them. They'd obviously already know everything about us if they planned on an invasion.

Think about it, If they're able to travel through space, How much more advanced would they be? Thousands.. If not Millions of years ahead of us.

Not just in technology but socially as well, and their body makeup and chemistry would be superb to ours. So imagine that on top of what ever body armor/suit they have.

If anything at all, We would destroy each other before anything else.

Just my 2cents.

We would have absolutely zero defense, When it comes to an alien species.. Period.

Think about it, If they're able to travel through space, How much more advanced would they be? Thousands.. If not Millions of years ahead of us.

Not just in technology but socially as well, and their body makeup and chemistry would be superb to ours. So imagine that on top of what ever body armor/suit they have.

I'm not sure why everyone assumes that if ETs exist, they must be thousands or millions of years ahead of us. After all, look how far we've come in just the last 100 years.

<i>

They should really use the word if.

I don't care what degrees they have, and what they've done, they are still capable of making up bs and making money from it.

I'm not sure why everyone assumes that if ETs exist, they must be thousands or millions of years ahead of us. After all, look how far we've come in just the last 100 years.

In this case it's a correct assumption actually. If they are capable of coming all the way here, then they must be way ahead of us. Now, if you mean that they could be just a few hundred years more advanced, then I guess you could be right as well.

In this case it's a correct assumption actually. If they are capable of coming all the way here, then they must be way ahead of us. Now, if you mean that they could be just a few hundred years more advanced, then I guess you could be right as well.

Im thinking more again Like Dr.Stephen Hawkins Maybe we dont need to be Reaching out to ET? They may be Really ,Really Hungry ! And We eat almost everything on this planet ! Why would they not eat everything on this Planet too!? :no:

post-68971-037921700 1277680353_thumb.jp

Biological chemical warfare. Remember "War of the Worlds"? I'm pretty sure we got a couple containers of smallpox or anthrax lying around somewhere.

This is just pathetic.

First I heard that the brainiac Hawkings thinks we shouldn't try to contact aliens based on our own trends toward less advanced peoples and now this!

Just goes to show that 'book smarts' doesn't always relate to intelligence or wisdom.

If aliens have been observing us, THIS is exactly the sort of narrow-minded, paranoid, ignorant crap that keeps them from saying 'Hello!".

For those who don't get it:

If an alien race evolved past the tech level that we are at presently WITHOUT destroying themselves or their planet that in itself precludes their being violent or not respecting the right of other beings to live un-molested.

I say that if aliens attack us, we should nuke our own planet to hell and make it useless. Waste their time and show them that we are not to be messed with!