Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Five jailed for life over UK bomb plot

british_patriot

Five get life over UK bomb plot

link

Bluewater shopping centre in Kent was mooted as a possible target

Five men have been jailed for life for a UK bomb plot linked to al-Qaeda that could have killed hundreds of people.

Jurors in the year-long Old Bailey trial heard of plans to target a shopping centre, nightclub and the gas network with a giant fertiliser bomb.

The judge, Sir Michael Astill, said the men, all British citizens, had "betrayed their country".

It has also been revealed some of the plotters met two of the 7 July London suicide bombers.

GUILTY OF CONSPIRACY TO CAUSE EXPLOSIONS: FULL PROFILES OF THE MEN

Omar Khyam, 25 - jailed for life (40 years minimum)

Jawad Akbar, 23 - jailed for life (35 years minimum)

Salahuddin Amin, 32 - jailed for life (35 years minimum)

Waheed Mahmood, 35 - jailed for life (40 years minimum)

Anthony Garcia, 24 - jailed for life (40 years minimum)

Mohammed Sidique Khan was spotted on four occasions in 2004 with at least one of the fertiliser bomb conspirators. At one point MI5 officers followed Khan back to his home in Leeds but no further action was taken.

In the wake of the convictions both the Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats have both called for an independent inquiry into the 7 July link.

The call for an inquiry was echoed by Graham Foulkes, whose son David died in the 7 July attacks. He said an inquiry was needed so "lessons could be learned".

The new director general of MI5, Jonathan Evans, issued a statement in which he denied being "complacent" and added: "The attack on 7 July in London was a terrible event. The sense of disappointment, felt across the service, at not being able to prevent the attack (despite our efforts to prevent all such atrocities) will always be with us."

He added: "The Security Service will never have the capacity to investigate everyone who appears on the periphery of every operation."

This was not a group of youthful idealists. They were trained, dedicated, ruthless terrorists who were obviously planning to carry out an attack against the British public

Peter Clarke

Britain's top anti-terrorist policeman, Deputy Assistant Commissioner Peter Clarke, said: "This was not a group of youthful idealists. They were trained, dedicated, ruthless terrorists who were obviously planning to carry out an attack against the British public."

Police smashed the plot in 2004 after MI5 had watched an Islamist extremist network with links across the world.

The link with 7 July was deliberately kept from the Old Bailey jury for fear of prejudicing their deliberations on the fertiliser bomb plot.

Al-Qaeda link

The fertiliser bomb plot investigation linked back to senior al-Qaeda figures in Pakistan and Afghanistan, including one who was detained by US forces in Iraq at the weekend.

Omar Khyam, 25, from Crawley, West Sussex, was found guilty of conspiring to cause explosions likely to endanger life between 1 January 2003 and 31 March 2004.

The ingredients of the bomb were found in this lock-up in west London

Also convicted were Waheed Mahmood, 34, and Jawad Akbar, 23, also of Crawley; Salahuddin Amin, 31, from Luton, Bedfordshire; Anthony Garcia, 24, of Barkingside, east London.

The judge told them: "You have betrayed this country that has given you every opportunity."

He also warned them: "All of you may never be released. It's not a foregone conclusion."

Two other men, Nabeel Hussain and Shujah Mahmood, were found not guilty.

Home Secretary John Reid said: "Five dangerous terrorists are now behind bars thanks to the hard work of our police and security services...Today's case reminds us all that the terrorist threat we face is real and severe."

In one of the largest terrorism trials ever brought before the British courts, the Old Bailey heard the plotters had come together over a number of years.

TARGETS DISCUSSED

Bluewater shopping centre

Utilities network

Ministry of Sound nightclub

Parliament

Football stadium

The indictment in full

The link to 7 July

The men had started out sympathetic to Muslim causes around the world - but the key plotters decided that violence was the answer as they came together for secret military training camps in Pakistan.

Back in Britain, they discussed various schemes, including targeting the Bluewater shopping centre in Kent on a busy Saturday or the Ministry of Sound nightclub in central London.

They also talked of attacking the gas or electricity network and Prime Minister's Questions in Parliament.

Tip-off

The group had bought 600kg of ammonium nitrate from an agricultural merchants and kept it at a storage unit in Hanwell, west London.

This fertiliser was to be the key component in the massive bomb - similar to those used in other terrorism attacks around the world.

But unbeknown to the men, some of them were already on MI5's radar while, at the same time, staff at the storage unit tipped off police.

They replaced the ammonium nitrate with a harmless substance and kept the group under surveillance before swooping in a series of raids.

TRIAL FACTS

3,644 witness statements taken

105 prosecution witnesses

Trial lasted for 13 months

Jury was out for record 27 days

Key witness

The Old Bailey heard the defendants had at least two fellow conspirators.

One of them, an American called Mohammed Junaid Babar, admitted his role in the plot after being arrested by the FBI and became a vital prosecution witness.

The other was Mohammed Momin Khawaja, awaiting trial in Canada.

The jury deliberated for 27 days, a record in British criminal history.

A Crown Prosecution Service spokesman said the deal allowing Babar to testify was unprecedented in British courts.

Outside court a solicitor read out a statement on behalf of Nabeel Hussain. He said: " I have always maintained my innocence of the allegations against me. I have never been an extremist or believed in extremism... I am so glad this ordeal is over."

Islam...religion of peace, eh?

Edited by british_patriot

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• limerickboi

• Bill Hill

• ships-cat

• british_patriot

good to see some justice taking place within the judicial system, although i find the two suspects cleared a little concerning......

horrible, none should have been released. . . it better live with them for the rest of their lives

Why should the British public have to pay for upkeep of these scumbags whilst in jail through our taxes. Aren't we better off bringing back the death penalty for this kind of treason? These people deserve the gallows and nothing more. :angry2:

Harsh maybe but my Penny's worth anyway.

Edited by demonhuntergeneral

im glad that they are behind bars as well but dont bet on them stayin there, no doubt

that they are going to get there lawyer to sue the goverment for fabricating &

falsefying evidence so that they end up behind bars, breaching there human rights

they will end up winning & show that the goverment is scared of ethenic minorities.

They can say what they like about what they would like to do to non believers & nothin happens

but if the white majority says anything about any other race or religion they are classed as racist

& they are put behind bars when they try & say that there human rights have been breached they

are told that they havent had them breached

Apparantly they spent a lot of time (over mutliple visits) in Pakistan, learning the terrorists trade.

Easy Peasy.... strip them of British Citizenship, note their DNA/Retina-scan so that they can NEVER enter the country again, and ship them off to the Pakistan/Afghanistan border. Lets see if their trainers/sponsors are still keen to feed/cloth them when they have no value as terrorists. Lets see if the 'would be' "warrious of Islam" enjoy the primitive living conditions of the training camp, once they realise that this is ALL they have to look forwards to for the rest of their lives.

Either way, they are no longer our problem, other than to stop them getting back into the country.

Meow Purr.

unfortunality that will not happen as there lawyers will say that since they are british citizens

that they have the right to stay in this country, with all the protection of the law since that

seems to me that if you are a criminal, muslim or any other ethnic minorities you get all

the benfits of the country that yopu stay in & you can say anything you like about what you

will do to the non - believers & nothing happens but if you are from the WHITE majority you

cant say anything about the ethnic minorities but you have the full weight of the law comming

down on you eg jail time, loss of job

good to see some justice taking place within the judicial system, although i find the two suspects cleared a little concerning......

C'mon, it wouldn't be British Justice, unless someone was let off.."I didn't do it.. death to the west..come again please"

The problem with the Death Penalty in situations like this: Is that it will inevitably result in innocents getting executed, especially in politically charged cases such as these.

Now murders: Where there is solid DNA evidence, that is another story alltogether, and I do support it in that case.

Well, I'l return to the gist of my previous comment, but with a slight twist.

As these loonies hate the "West" so much, and LOVE Islam (and want Islam to dominate our political process), then why not make an arrangement with a nearby Muslim country. For a small fee (a few thousand pounds, perhaps), they will allow us to transfer citizenship of selected criminals to their country. The criminal now has the sort of society he (or she) was fighting for, and we get rid of a looney.

If the criminal's lawyers want to argue, they can do so. However, they will have to argue the case in the OTHER county's courts.

But which country ? Iran ? Saudi Arabia ? Jordon ?

Nah - how about SOMALIA :D

Meow Purr.

Well, I'l return to the gist of my previous comment, but with a slight twist.

As these loonies hate the "West" so much, and LOVE Islam (and want Islam to dominate our political process), then why not make an arrangement with a nearby Muslim country. For a small fee (a few thousand pounds, perhaps), they will allow us to transfer citizenship of selected criminals to their country. The criminal now has the sort of society he (or she) was fighting for, and we get rid of a looney.

If the criminal's lawyers want to argue, they can do so. However, they will have to argue the case in the OTHER county's courts.

But which country ? Iran ? Saudi Arabia ? Jordon ?

Nah - how about SOMALIA :D

Meow Purr.

Excellent points cat..

Man, they are so annoying, so irritating.. so hypocritical.

They want us to live life under Islamic law yet they still want to use ‘infidel’ technology such as the internet, ipods, pcs, dvds , tv.

Even the Taliban are using the Internet! Go figure...

Oh and it goes without saying these Muslims want to live in a western country with a good welfare system. :angry2:

And what really ticks me off, is they bring over their ridiculous backward ideologies which ironically turned their original country of origin into an unlivable hell hole in the first place and that's why they left!

I’m sorry.. but my tolerance is all used up… especially when on top of everything else, guess what? they want to bomb us- and support terrorism.

And yes, I’d say the majority of muslims in the UK support terrorism, maybe not directly but still quietly and on the sly!

Put it this way, the only people who tell me it’s not true are liberals not muslims themselves.Conspicuous by their silence and absence of protest during the recent terrorist attacks.