Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

smoking ban in ireland, ENGLAND starts july

chemical-licker

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20070430/thl...ng-b2e59e8.html

i had to post this because i know alot of people are gonna get annoyed when july enforces this no smoking in public places rule in england.

Businesses can be fined up to 2,500 pounds if they fail to enforce the ban, which spreads to England from July 1.

what are you gonna do? give up? or just face the fact you will have to stand outside in the cold having a ciggy with your beer in the other hand moaning you cant smoke in the warmth.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chemical-licker

• Bill Hill

• ifisurvive

• ships-cat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Knowing the British , I suspect the latter 'Chemical. :(

Meow Purr.

Knowing the British , I suspect the latter 'Chemical. :(

Meow Purr.

We have that in Canada already, and I am very happy about it. I don't smoke, why should I have to inhale smoke? It's a hard thing to pass. It is taking away the rights of smokers, but then the smoke travels through the air to non-smokers. They are trying to pass a law right now so that if you are smoking in a car and there are minors in there, you will be charged for endangering them. So, I think the laws are here to stay, and will get tougher.

Edited by glorybebe

It already is in place here in Oregon for some time now... not sure about the rest of the USA

But this sort of headlines keeps coming up in the US-- and when they ALL quit, then they will probably tax those that use TOILET PAPER to cover the costs for whatever..

Smokers tapped to pay for new health plan

44-cent increase in state cigarette tax will help cover 132,000 uninsured Hoosiers

A new health insurance plan for the working poor, funded by a 44-cent increase in the cigarette tax, was approved late Sunday by the state legislature.

Source

Edited by Cinders

As a non-smoker I'll be happy when it comes, having gone out in Rep of Ireland and Scotland it's great to go out and not come back smelling of smoke.

I know a lot of smokers and most are fairly apathetic about, either accepting they'll have to pop outside or looking at it as a good reason to give up. Actually most people I know are 'casual' smokers (i.e. after a few drinks feel the need for a smoke) so are quite happy about it. The angry smokers who'll object I think will be in the minority and given the potential fines for the business it'll be stricly inforced so they won't have much choice. If it went through in Scotland with little fanfare it'll go through England with less.

yeah, we have that in NY as well... :yes:

i understand why it's a law. im a smoker and therefore don't like it, but i have no valid arguement against it, so ive quietly accepted the law for what it is.

I entirely agree Glorybebe - people should have the right to a smoke-free environment. What angers me is that the governments appear to have a 'hidden agenda' here.

It would have been quite practial to phrase the law so that individual publicans, restauranteers etc etc could offer 'smoking' rooms or areas, with barrier air conditioning units to ensure that non-smokers where not poisoned by cigarrete smoke, but still allowing smokers to smoke.

In practice, most establishments would find this too expensive to implement, or perhaps their customers would not be interested in it, so they would go totaly smoke-free. However, some MAY have decided to offer a 'barrier' smoking area, but the government(s) didn't even give establishment managers the OPTION. Whyever not ?

Weell... I think the EU is positioning itself to ban smoking altogether. In other words, to make tobacco an illegal drug.

Fair enough perhaps ? But surely they should openly state this aim ? Perhaps even have a plebiscite on it ?

Oh gosh no.... governments - and Stalanist organisations like the EU - absolutely HATE canvassing opinion. They Know Best and don't want the Unwashed Peons (us) having independant opinions.

I'm going to stop before I start foaming at the whiskers, and go outside for a cigarrete.

Meow <puff puff cough> Purr.

Weell... I think the EU is positioning itself to ban smoking altogether. In other words, to make tobacco an illegal drug.

Fair enough perhaps ? But surely they should openly state this aim ? Perhaps even have a plebiscite on it ?

Oh gosh no.... governments - and Stalanist organisations like the EU - absolutely HATE canvassing opinion. They Know Best and don't want the Unwashed Peons (us) having independant opinions.

Wow, thought I'd popped into the Conspiracies & Secret Societies forum there for a second :P

It would have been quite practial to phrase the law so that individual publicans, restauranteers etc etc could offer 'smoking' rooms or areas, with barrier air conditioning units to ensure that non-smokers where not poisoned by cigarrete smoke, but still allowing smokers to smoke.

In practice, most establishments would find this too expensive to implement, or perhaps their customers would not be interested in it, so they would go totaly smoke-free. However, some MAY have decided to offer a 'barrier' smoking area, but the government(s) didn't even give establishment managers the OPTION. Whyever not ?

A major point of the law is to protect those who work in the bar from second hand smoke though. Keeping that loophole there would allow a few places to get away with flouting the law and even those legitimately keeping the smoking area seperate would still need staff to go into those areas, and subject them to the second hand smoke.

I'm going to stop before I start foaming at the whiskers, and go outside for a cigarrete.

Meow <puff puff cough> Purr.

They probably watched what happened over here. We did have those smoking rooms. THEN it was argued that the smoke was so concentrated in those rooms that it was a health risk for the workers.

I agree with your quotes:

What angers me is that the governments appear to have a 'hidden agenda' here.
and
. Now there are different arguments for why, but you are right, $$$$$. The costs to our health system are staggering, so this was a reason given by the government. Now, I can see the quote about making tobacco and illegal drug fitting into this for fines, etc because they know how addictive cigarettes are. BUT, on the other hand, the tobacco companies pay out a lot to taxes to the government, I'm not whole heartedly sure that the governments want to totally get rid of that income.

It is hard to say exactly what the governement has in mind, but it sure makes one wonder.

Edited by glorybebe

They're trying to do this in Tennessee. Two bad things about it....some bars have spent a lot of money on exhaust systems so you don't even notice people are smoking when you walk in. The other, is the small, individually owned places that the owners and all the wait staff smoke. It is well known around town that you are subjected to smoke before you go in and they've had a great business for over thirty years. I don't like the fact that they will no longer have an option of having a smoking or non-smoking establishment.

One more freedom taken away by the goverment. Are they going to monitor food intake next to fight obesity? Or take real money out of circulation so that you have to us a card and they can trace your every move?

I don't want the government sticking its nose in my business so much.

Edited by Michelle

One more freedom taken away by the goverment.

Without the ban a lot more people would be smoking, and a hell of a lot more people would be inhaling second hand smoke.

Many places have taken measures to prevent the risks of second hand smoke and will be unnecessarily effected; but even more places have not.

Are they going to monitor food intake next to fight obesity?

I hope so. Personally I'm sick of being in a nation rife with obesity.

If the government's not going to start taking away peoples big macs, I will.

Edited by Raptor X7

yeah it just started here in Ohio... :( i mean i dont mind having to go out and smoke but at work we have to walk off of work grounds and takes up part of my break!!!!

i think im gonna invest into nicorette patches, i will make a killing!

Edited by chemical-licker

It's been here in WA for a while now. Though the funny thing was, at first you couldn't smoke within 25 feet of the buildings. And when people realised that 25 feet was in the medien of the street, they put sofas and chairs there for people to sit and smoke. X) They had to reform the law to say that they had to just stand outside the buildings.. *snickers*

Without the ban a lot more people would be smoking, and a hell of a lot more people would be inhaling second hand smoke.

Many places have taken measures to prevent the risks of second hand smoke and will be unnecessarily effected; but even more places have not.

I hope so. Personally I'm sick of being in a nation rife with obesity.

If the government's not going to start taking away peoples big macs, I will.

Until Big Brither comes after you for something you enjoy when they've taken care of all the other sins...like drinking, potato chips (no nutritional value there) or taking a drive in the country enjoying the scenery...wasting gas.... :o

Be careful what you wish for.

I did read that in the UK the Government gets 16 billion pound from tax of cigarettes, 10 billion pound goes to the treatment of cigarette related illnesses. They will now be 6 billion quid down.

A pub round by me put in £25,000 worth of equipment that would cause the smoke to go to the top and out of the building, keeping the air as fresh as possible (apart from beer fumes lol) in the pub itself. Now the thing is, once the landlord had all this installed and had paid out for the equipment, he was then told that come July 2007, smoking was to be banned in the pub anyway. Let's just say he is a little bit miffed!

I do smoke, but in a couple of months, I will not be allowed to smoke at work, nor when I go out. It is a shame that some contraption could not be installed in places that would allow smokers to smoke and non-smokers to be safe :(

The government should reimburse that money to them.

It is the removal of a freedom of choice that bothers me. Why can there not simply be signs on doors saying that "this is a non-smoking pub" or "this is a smoking pub" a balance in numbers between the two will quickly be found through the profit margins. Many smokers will now buy their beer from the shop and drink and smoke at home inflicting the smoke on their kids, surely a smokers pub in areas where there is a call for one would be a happy median ? High quality extraction and air purifiers could also be used in the smokers pubs.

It was widely reported today that millions of smokers and fat people will be denied NHS treatment, maybe this is how they intend to fill the black hole in NHS finances due to smokers quitting. I have paid many thousands in national insurance contributions will I now get that back ? (for being a smoker not a fatty).

Ya know.. at first the bars suffered. However after about a month, they bounced right back. People again started to pack in, got over the whole thing, and simply stepped outside to smoke.

We got it in Florida, too. I never started smoking so I am glad for it. I make my room mate smoke outside I can't stand the smell. My wife used to smoke and when she was in the hospital on vent they pulled lots of tar and nicotine out of her lungs. It was the most disgusting thing I ever saw. When I told my roomie about it he understood why I can't stand the smell.

Here in the summer it rains every afternoon so the smokers have to stand out in the rain and lightening.

It is the removal of a freedom of choice that bothers me. Why can there not simply be signs on doors saying that "this is a non-smoking pub" or "this is a smoking pub" a balance in numbers between the two will quickly be found through the profit margins. Many smokers will now buy their beer from the shop and drink and smoke at home inflicting the smoke on their kids, surely a smokers pub in areas where there is a call for one would be a happy median ? High quality extraction and air purifiers could also be used in the smokers pubs.

It was widely reported today that millions of smokers and fat people will be denied NHS treatment, maybe this is how they intend to fill the black hole in NHS finances due to smokers quitting. I have paid many thousands in national insurance contributions will I now get that back ? (for being a smoker not a fatty).

You know, that would be a good idea about a non-smoking or a smoking pub! Everyone gets their choice then.

I did hear that the House of Commons bar was still to allow smoking - hypocrites really.

I did hear that the House of Commons bar was still to allow smoking - hypocrites really.

this is what i heard! what W*****S, those who make the rules dont have to be ruled by them,

I do smoke at home, but I'm not in the habit of smoking anywhere else. So it doesn't affect me persoally. But I do think that anti-smoking 'legislation' is a bit draconian. We all know that smoking isn't good for us etc. blah blah.....

But smoking does seem to have been singled out quite ruthlessly...especially when society is drowning in alcohol and drug abuse.

I do smoke at home, but I'm not in the habit of smoking anywhere else. So it doesn't affect me persoally. But I do think that anti-smoking 'legislation' is a bit draconian. We all know that smoking isn't good for us etc. blah blah.....

But smoking does seem to have been singled out quite ruthlessly...especially when society is drowning in alcohol and drug abuse.

Why do you feel it's being ruthless? Smoking bans are not ultimately there to punish the smoker (though I appreciate it will no doubt feel like that to many!), but to protect the non-smoker. Alcohol and drug abuse are problems, but there are already laws to protect the 'non-drinker' as such - i.e. no drink driving, drunk and disorderly laws etc, and drugs are illegal in general. I'm not saying those laws are obeyed and work perfectly, but they do exist. All the smoking ban has done has made smoking go from no restrictions (barring under 16s) to introducing policies to protect other people from the effects.

smoking ban

High five!