Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

smoking ban in ireland, ENGLAND starts july

chemical-licker

I'm not ready to give up yet! I'm going to turn into this guy.

linked-image

I'd like to see the new 'no smoking officers' charge me £50 fine..

Let me ya try!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chemical-licker

• Bill Hill

• ifisurvive

• ships-cat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i cannot imagine a policeman trying to enforce this law :no: outside a bookies on a council estate in shepherds bush west london. its hard enough with weed and even then people just roll up in the street and roll down that street burning da good sensimilla.

it will work in pubs and clubs but in the street? i suppose anything is worth a try.

The ban is not in the street, it's in any public 'enclosed' space. Actually, some bus shelters will fall into that so I suppose there is a 'street' element though few are likely to point that out for fear of a fight.

And billyhill, it's probably more like the bar/club/restaurant managment and their bouncers who will stop you smoking as they have a lot more to lose!

Why do you feel it's being ruthless? Smoking bans are not ultimately there to punish the smoker (though I appreciate it will no doubt feel like that to many!), but to protect the non-smoker. Alcohol and drug abuse are problems, but there are already laws to protect the 'non-drinker' as such - i.e. no drink driving, drunk and disorderly laws etc, and drugs are illegal in general. I'm not saying those laws are obeyed and work perfectly, but they do exist. All the smoking ban has done has made smoking go from no restrictions (barring under 16s) to introducing policies to protect other people from the effects.

I used the word 'ruthless' because as far as I know, there are not going to be any opt out situations.

Say...if a pub wanted to become a 'smokers' pub....where staff and customers knew the score and could make a choice.

Or....in vehicles connected with work. If a smoker was on their own...this wouldn't harm anyone but themselves. Or if two people in a works van were both smokers.

Or why can't places that want to, have a smokers room?

Then I wonder what happens when someone's own home is someone elses place of work...like a care worker, or a service provider, like a plumber or a council repair person?

I'm not up in arms about the ban.... I don't even know if there ARE any opt out situation...maybe someone can enlighten me on this?

I don't smoke outside my own home, as I said...but I think a lot of people are going to get upset about it. But on the other hand, a lot of people will be very happy with the ban.

I'm not a rabid anti-smoker, I was just wondering why you thought it was ruthless. To me if the purpose is to protect people from second hand smoke it doesn't seem that harsh (but then again I don't smoke ;) )

Having a 'smokers pub' would mean the staff would still be at risk from the smoke. If all the staff there were smokers themselves it's still increasing their risk. And what if someone wanted to quit, or a non-smoker wanted to work there - descriminary laws are likely to kick in and I can certainly understand the government just taking the easy option! Same thing with smokers rooms in offices and cleaning staff.

Vehicles connected with work will also have bans. It seems ok to allow it if the only people in there are smokers, but if a non-smoker gets in is there already smoke in there, will the other smokers actually take heed and put their cigerettes out (opening the possibility of the company getting sued...).

Home rules also apply but only:

Any part of a private dwelling used solely for work purposes will be required to be smokefree if:

- it is used by more than one person who does not live at the dwelling

- members of the public attend to deliver or to receive goods and/or services.

Lots of info from smokefreeengland.co.uk and especially Quick guide (warning though, that's a 5Meg pdf).

We smokers have been hounded by the government for years, they have finally taken away the smokes last bastion of social acceptence.....

Many years ago when i went on my first date with mrs Scrummage, it was very much a relaxed, witty and sexual...emphasized by our long draws on that cool cigarette & the cool aroma lifting our senses .....as reflected on the photo below..

linked-image

The future however is grim, we the smoker are backed against the wall, not only are we faced by Hooded Gangs, rapists, muggers,violent immigrants, homegrown white trash, terrorists, our bosses, our sons & daughters, all these people out to get us....Now there is a new war out there people & its not Islam, its not even yardie gangsters......its the Loony left

I give you my vision of the future Smoker of Britain...I for one will fight my corner...

linked-image

The laws goes into effect here in Finland next month, sighs. but the Finns dont smoke in thier homes wich is nice, as it keps the homes smelling fresh.

my problem with the law is , the people were never given a voye, it was a command.

pickett the commons if thier bar can smoke.

Even though I'm generally against the government telling people what to do and not do, here in Sweden the smoking ban in restaurants and pubs was received positively.

I would accept this new restriction with more equinamity if it wasn't for the fact that the Bars in Westiminister will STILL permit smoking.

Utter hypocrisy.

Meow Fume Smoke Purr.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20070430/thl...ng-b2e59e8.html

i had to post this because i know alot of people are gonna get annoyed when july enforces this no smoking in public places rule in england.

Businesses can be fined up to 2,500 pounds if they fail to enforce the ban, which spreads to England from July 1.

what are you gonna do? give up? or just face the fact you will have to stand outside in the cold having a ciggy with your beer in the other hand moaning you cant smoke in the warmth.

It should be banned everywhere.

I would accept this new restriction with more equinamity if it wasn't for the fact that the Bars in Westiminister will STILL permit smoking.

To be fair it's not that they made that choice, the Houses of Parliament are classes as a royal palace which is the only reason they are exempt, which is more related to Britain's ye-olde laws than MPs choosing not to play. They'll still not be able to smoke in their cars and offices etc like everyone else. And, of course, not all MPs smoke.

That said - when the ban comes in if they don't voluntarily ban smoking there to show they're not being hypocritical screw fair, let's riot :devil:

Oh no... I'm not looking forward to this ban.

Me with a cigerette. :)

linked-image

And me giving up.. <_<

linked-image

Utter hypocrisy.

Meow Fume Smoke Purr.

Yeah too true! Really shows, what they think of us normal folk.

linked-image

I hate..John Prescott...come the revolution, he's first against the wall.

Although we're British, so a revolution is out of the question..

It is a scientific fact, people who don't smoke are boring.

Except women, they're allowed not to smoke and still be interesting.

Cigarettes are a blite on mankind...........

It is a scientific fact, people who don't smoke are boring.

Except women, they're allowed not to smoke and still be interesting.

i dont smoke and im not boring :sleepy::sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy: where am i?

all the greats smoke, the best one oscar wilde.

it is a substitute for anxiety when speaking, instead of saying eeerrrrrmmm!! yeaahhhh!!!! you put a cigarette to ya lips and you can focus on the hit and then say what you are going to say without sounding like a ****.

better to burn out than fade away!! B)

it is a substitute for anxiety when speaking, instead of saying eeerrrrrmmm!! yeaahhhh!!!! you put a cigarette to ya lips and you can focus on the hit and then say what you are going to say without sounding like a ****.

:lol: like it. Good find chem licker.

I like this one.

"Morality is simply the attitude we adopt toward people whom we personally dislike."

oscar_wilde.

society forgives the criminal it never forgives the dreamer. (oscar wilde) HE WAS SMOKING A CIGARETTE WHEN THINKING THIS UP B)

so i guess we are walking into a world of zombies with no passion, THEY ARE WINNING, THEY HAVE WON, no more cigarettes get me a gun!!

Edited by chemical-licker

society forgives the criminal it never forgives the dreamer. (oscar wilde)

Brilliant!

In the time since Scotland went no-smoking pub takings are down by 11% and pub food takings down by 5%. Many pubs have closed, not the trendy city centre bars but the village ,"centre-of-the-community" locals.

Having said that the news isn't all bad......cigarette sales are up by 600,000 packets a year and alcohol sales per capita have shot through the roof due to people drinking and smoking more at home than they would have done publically led by unbelievably low prices for beer in the supermarkets. This allows people on a budget to drink a lot more at home than they would have been able to afford in the pub. Not reported are any increases in domestic violence and the passive intake of smoke by under-18s.

Added note- the smoking ban starts in Finland next month, and now some members of parliment are trying to ban smoking on the balcony of people apartments, because the smoke can blow into other peoples apartments. as i said the Finns dont smoke in thier homes or apartments by choice, but now govt is trying to force people from smoking on thier own balconys, its a bit too Orwellian for me.

Plus i just bought an apartment with a 40 sq metre balcony and now im might be forced to obey other peoples laws on my own property. where is it gonna end... :angry2:

The future however is grim, we the smoker are backed against the wall, not only are we faced by Hooded Gangs, rapists, muggers,violent immigrants, homegrown white trash, terrorists, our bosses, our sons & daughters, all these people out to get us....Now there is a new war out there people & its not Islam, its not even yardie gangsters......its the Loony left

So true.. it's a battle of the irritation. People annoy people.. you've got to tolerate the people that you hate. A Cigarette acts as a 'calming inducer' in the war of the annoyers. Mmmh My country, in short- is a total mess.. but have another cigarette while I can't sleep and I feel better.

Now, without this psychological crutch-

From this

linked-image

To this- Oh no.. I'm going to turn into taxi driver-

linked-image

June twenty-ninth. I gotta get in shape. Too much sitting has ruined my body. Too much abuse has gone on for too long. From now on there will be 50 pushups each morning, 50 pullups. There will be no more pills, no more bad food, no more destroyers of my body. From now on will be total organization.

Here is a man who would not take it anymore. A man who stood up against the scum, the ****s, the dogs, the filth, the sh**. Here is a man who stood up.

Travis.

We all ready have this in Australia, you know, surprisingly it really isn't that bad. You can definitely live with it.