Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Climate change hits Mars

UM-Bot

Image credit: NASA
Image credit: NASA
Mars is being hit by rapid climate change and it is happening so fast that the red planet could lose its southern ice cap, writes Jonathan Leake. Scientists from Nasa say that Mars has warmed by about 0.5C since the 1970s.

This is similar to the warming experienced on Earth over approximately the same period.Since there is no known life on Mars it suggests rapid changes in planetary climates could be natural phenomena.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Times Online

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• libertyworld

• jpjoe

• Luziadus

• jesspy

Its the pollution :lol:

Now serious,this is scary :mellow:

If mars lose its southern ice cap, than wont life have a chance to start in the water?

Mars Warming Sure to Heat Up Political Debate

Republican climate change skeptics in Congress are bound to delight in the news that Mars is experiencing its own warming trend. Yes, by the bloodlust of Ares, our ruddy celestial neighbor heated up by 1 degree Fahrenheit from the 1970s to the 1990s, NASA scientists reported today. The scientists published their results in Nature this week and attributed the warming to dust storms that expose dark rock that absorbs more heat from the sun.

Because hotter temperatures create more dust storms, Mars will likely continue to warm up, which is dandy for Republicans like Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-California). In a hearing last week, Rohrabacher lamented the "arrogant" and "anti-scientific" dismissal of global warming research funded by oil and gas companies. Rohrabacher then proceeded to dismiss the overwhelming majority of scientists who believe global warming is real and caused by humans. He managed to smuggle in a Mars warming reference to back up his point.

And he's not alone. Here's Rep. Michael Burgess (R-Texas) in a hearing last month: "Apparently, Mars, too, is afflicted with global warming. Are humans responsible for that too?"

Burgess said this in as nice a way as possible, but more often than not, the Mars warming reference is dropped with a sneer. It has become one of the cynical weapons Republican skeptics have deployed recently to stall action in Congress on global warming. Problem is, the skeptics have always claimed that Mars is warming up because of solar activity, which, quite naturally, could be used to explain earth's warming and, quite naturally, could be used as a justification for inaction.

But the NASA researchers determined that Mars' warming has little to do with solar flares or sun spots and everything to do with dust that acts just like greenhouse gases in our atmosphere. Let the spinning begin.

Source

Well....any warming will further melt any ices....subsurface, ice cap or surface ices. That will increase the atmospheric pressure more and induce warmer climate. Mars does have quite a bit of water ice in it's caps and subsurface..

I think its the same reasons,but we are helping to increase the warming up faster than its natural proceeding.

In the end of Ice Age the Earth wasn't having so much pollution than nowadays and the ice melted in the same way but slower,its a natural cycle,like the seasons but in a large duration.

Edited by Endymion

FACTS:

Earth's hastened global warming comes from manily human activity (e.g. air pollution)

Mar's global warming is from natural dust storms

-But IF it is true that the sun's cycle induces increased temperature, then earth and mars must not be the only ones affected by this phenomenon. Have they studied our nearest neighbor, the moon? How about mercury, ceres, or sedna? This claim is so... bah...

Edited by jpjoe

FACTS:

Earth's hastened global warming comes from manily human activity (e.g. air pollution)

Mar's global warming is from natural dust storms

-But IF it is true that the sun's cycle induces increased temperature, then earth and mars must not be the only ones affected by this phenomenon. Have they studied our nearest neighbor, the moon? How about mercury, ceres, or sedna? This claim is so... bah...

Ceres isn't a planet but a Asteroid,Sedna is a tiny object beyond Pluto,they have to study planets more similar with Earth,Mars is the most similar.

When the Earth rounds the Sun during that moviment the planet temperatures changes thats why we have different seasons,like our planet our Sun rounds too our galaxy,and during that moviments which takes millions of years all the planets which are with the Sun could be affected.

Nope.

Different reasons in that case, but I've heard news, (which I'm having trouble finding now) that other bodies including Pluto are also heating up. Please also read my other post below. Thanks.

Edited by libertyworld

so is it just earth having problems or is it other planets too?

The effects of the sun cycles dwarf even those things that dwarf the things that dwarf the things that humans are doing, which is another reason we should discourage people from goose-stepping to left wing, anti human, anti progress, freedom hating greeny weeny suicidal global warming hysteria. The left perverts everything it touches because at it's core it is fascist and ignorant and full of itself. Morally bankrupt, imperialist and appallingly Genocidal. The Great Global Warming Swindle may have been an imperfect documentary, but it nailed the crux of it. Which is that the left, (especially environmentalism) has become something horrific and evil. Hateful of human rights to an extreme degree. I used to be a (mild) leftist. What an idiot. I have lived among them and have reeled in shock at the whole sad spectacle. Take it from Patrick Moore and David Horowitz and others who do have humility. The left will kill us all. I'm not saying YOU MysteryVy and I think we should be careful with the biosphere... I'm just using this chance to jump in and stir things up a bit cause I've had it with their sick and murderous elitist lunacy. There. I feel a better. Now before any of you greeny weeny phoney enviro freaknut lemmings start with your twisted nonsense... go here... please. You really gotta get out more. Again, not you Mystery... http://www.eco-imperialism.com/content/book_review.php3

Edited by libertyworld

Ceres isn't a planet but a Asteroid,Sedna is a tiny object beyond Pluto,they have to study planets more similar with Earth,Mars is the most similar.

When the Earth rounds the Sun during that moviment the planet temperatures changes thats why we have different seasons,like our planet our Sun rounds too our galaxy,and during that moviments which takes millions of years all the planets which are with the Sun could be affected.

I know, that's the point why I gave all those as examples. To exclude heavenly bodies in our local solar system that are not somewhat similar to earth or mars from the study, is a biased one.

Since the effects of the sun cycles dwarf even those things that dwarf the things that dwarf the things that humans are doing, yes, all the planets are warming right now.

If something man-made destroys the whole ecological balance of the earth, then it is not acceptable. But for now, I'm interested on the topic of this thread. Could you kindly provide any factual data to support that: "all the planets are warming right now?"

Edited by jpjoe

I know, that's the point why I gave all those as examples. To exclude heavenly bodies in our local solar system that are not somewhat similar to earth or mars from the study, is a biased one.

If something man-made destroys the whole ecological balance of the earth, then it is not acceptable. But for now, I'm interested on the topic of this thread. Could you kindly provide any factual data to support that: "all the planets are warming right now?"

Trying to find where I saw that. I remember it from NASA or Nature but cannot locate it on google. Nature did have an article about several bodies besides mars warming but until I find more I am editing my post. Thanks for keeping me on my toes. Really.

I dont think these other bodies are all warming for the same reasons. CNN is in classic childish form in this video however, especially the ridiculous anchor chick. And since when does the IPCC have the slightest credibility? Checked out how they operate? About what you would expect from UN types. Yet they are cited again and again by the mass media as the last word. Actually, they are about the last bunch I would trust in this. Below even CNN, who are, with very few exceptions, quite a joke.

http://seoblackhat.com/2007/03/04/global-w...ton-and-jupiter

Edited by libertyworld

You see the signs, but you still choose not to believe? :(

Heavens grow old and perish.

And,

‘In the beginning, Lord, you founded the earth,

and the heavens are the work of your hands;

they will perish, but you remain;

they will all wear out like clothing;

like a cloak you will roll them up,

and like clothing* they will be changed.

But you are the same,

and your years will never end.

Hebrews 1:10-12

Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation. :yes:

I dont think these other bodies are all warming for the same reasons. CNN is in classic childish form in this video however, especially the ridiculous anchor chick. And since when does the IPCC have the slightest credibility? Checked out how they operate? About what you would expect from UN types. Yet they are cited again and again by the mass media as the last word. Actually, they are about the last bunch I would trust in this. Below even CNN, who are, with very few exceptions, quite a joke.

http://seoblackhat.com/2007/03/04/global-w...ton-and-jupiter

I was hoping of a much reliable reference, like a scientific journal or an astronomical fact sheet... Like you said, media isnt very credible.

You see the signs, but you still choose not to believe? :(

Heavens grow old and perish.

And,

‘In the beginning, Lord, you founded the earth,

and the heavens are the work of your hands;

they will perish, but you remain;

they will all wear out like clothing;

like a cloak you will roll them up,

and like clothing* they will be changed.

But you are the same,

and your years will never end.

Hebrews 1:10-12

Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation. :yes:

You see smoke, so there must be a fire! When you look at the source of the smoke, there wasn't any fire -but dry ice...

Hah - I'm waiting for the headline "Global Warming blamed on Hot Air emitted by Paid Environmentalist Lobby"

Meow Purr.

I was hoping of a much reliable reference, like a scientific journal or an astronomical fact sheet... Like you said, media isnt very credible.

Me too. Sorry I cited something without more substance.

Sun fuels global warming debate

By Helen Briggs

BBC News Online

The Sun's role in climate change has been called into question again.

Climate science wrestles with uncertainty

A US scientist has cast doubt on the controversial idea that the Sun has been the main contributor to climate change over the past 20 years.

The Sun is known to brighten and fade from time to time, influencing temperatures on Earth.

Scientists are divided over how significant a factor this is compared with what people are doing to the planet.

A recent study suggests the Sun has brightened steadily over the past 20 years, accounting for half or more of the 0.3 degrees Celsius warming blamed on greenhouse gas emissions since 1980.

"The study is very controversial," Dr Judith Lean of the Naval Research Laboratory in Washington DC told the UK/Ireland National Astronomy Meeting in Dublin. "Other claims in recent years have also exaggerated the role of the Sun in climate change."

'Spurious trends'

Dr Lean is critical of how the researchers have reached their conclusion. Much of the debate is over how measurements of the Sun's activity made by different spacecraft are interpreted.

"Because the datasets do not have the same absolute scale, they must be cross-calibrated to construct the long-term record needed for studying climate change," she said.

"Drifts in the instrument sensitivities must be properly clarified as well, to avoid mistaking spurious trends for real solar brightness changes.

"For this purpose, the recent study used observations previously reported to suffer from known instrumental effects but did not take these effects into account."

Stormy weather

The verdict is unlikely to satisfy the rival camp. What is clear, however, is that more work needs to be done to iron out uncertainties.

"The only way to improve our understanding of Sun-climate links is long-term measurements of sunlight from space and continued monitoring of the Earth's climate," Dr Simon Tett, of the Met Office's Hadley Centre in Bracknell, Berkshire, told BBC News Online.

"Even so I think it unlikely that the Sun has played a major role in climate change over the last 20 to 30 years."

Professor Joanna Haigh says long-term measurements are crucial.

"Recent work at Imperial College London has shown that even small changes in solar ultraviolet can produce a significant impact on climate in preferred locations, including shifts in the jet streams and mid-latitude storm tracks," she said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/2925155.stm

Mars has no real atmosphere to protect it -

I think the sun is contributing to global warming , but our way of living is contributing to the effectiveness at which the earth remedies this. so both are to blame.

and why are people so against changing how they live in exchange for a healthier earth ? sun or not - it would only be beneficial for us to implement new tech to get away from burning fossil fuels , to treating our oceans better , to treating our world better and in the long run ourselves. or is greed , laziness and selfishness more important ?

To me it gives some validity to the idea that the sun plays a bigger factor in our warming than we originally thought...not saying that humans dont; just that there may be bigger factors to consider in the debate...

When I read this topic, it reminded me of a "segment" I watched a while back. The entire film is actually in 6 segments..

I found this segment on Google here called:

Space - New Worlds

I am sure the sun plays in part of why Earth & Mars is getting warmer.. as shown in this interesting video..

But I am still on the side of cleaning our act up on earth (it is loooong over due) .. afterall, we still have to breath. It's not like we can hop on a space craft and jet over to another planet any time soon. :lol:

When I read this topic, it reminded me of a "segment" I watched a while back. The entire film is actually in 6 segments..

I found this segment on Google here called:

Space - New Worlds

I am sure the sun plays in part of why Earth & Mars is getting warmer.. as shown in this interesting video..

But I am still on the side of cleaning our act up on earth (it is loooong over due) .. afterall, we still have to breath. It's not like we can hop on a space craft and jet over to another planet any time soon. :lol:

We are cleaning it up though... Air and water are much cleaner today, at least in America, though china and many other less developed countries are still worsening from what I hear. So lots of work still to be done, but ever more elegant technology has always enabled us to do more with less, whether it be feeding people or transporting them or warming their homes... Technological innovation will march on, as long as there is free enterprise, which is why the radical left must not be allowed to set the agenda.