Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tiny terrier saved kids from pit bulls

I have a chihuahua that would take on the world for me. She's all show. When people come over she growls, barks, shows teeth then sits on your lap and licks your hand. What a nut. We also have a min pin which everyone is terrified of because she looks like a mini doberman. Anyway, we have a fenced in yard and keep them on a leash at all times when they aren't in the yard for everyone's safety. It doesn't matter what kind of breed the dogs is, an owner must be responsible.

I'm sorry to hear about George. May he rest in peace.

Edited by Relle

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Hill

• asc.rudeboy

• Michelle

• Clocker

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the days of owning pitbulls should be over. I used to never feel this way, but I believe the breed has been ruined by breeders trying to breed meaner stronger dogs. Here in Dallas, for alot of poor people it is like a status symbol to have them. If we are to keep them, the owner should be charged with whatever the dog does. If it mauls a child, then the owner goes to jail for life. I love dogs, but I believe this breed is done. Better safe than sorry.

By the way, I own a 135lb Alaskan Malamute that I have no fear of him hurting my children or anyone else.

Edited by Eric Raven The Skeptic

Mmmh after some research.. I've found out the maoris are into drugs/drug dealing and own pitbulls.

I bet the pitbulls were owned by a maori trying to be a new york gangsta.

Maori crime rate concerns Government

Email this storyPrint this story 12:00AM Friday October 28, 2005

The high proportion of offending by Maori is rated "a significant concern" by the Ministry of Justice.

It noted in its annual report today that though Maori form just 14.5 per cent of New Zealand's population, half the prison population and 45 per cent of offenders serving community-based sentences identify themselves as Maori.

The ministry said it was working with communities and iwi on initiatives to reduce Maori offending.

Link

Wow, I never read anything about this before, I guess drugs are everywhere,what an infiltration of some bad people to introduce to them !!

The owner's of the Pitbull's who attacked, are a working couple who's perhaps only crime, was not having enough time to nurture their dogs properly.

That may have been their 'only' crime but no one should keep a dog like a pit unless they exercise them regularly and pay a lot of attemtion to the creatures.

Reading the OP's story makes me proud to be an owner two pure bred Jack Russells.

They have been nick-named miniature bull terriers and rightfully so, the bigger the dogs they come up against the more fearless they become.

They're super intelligent and 'awesome with and protective towards kids' which incidentally i brought for my sons because they loved Milo in The Mask lol!

Edited by REBEL

• 4 weeks later...
by nature pitt bulls are animal agressive not human agressive ,,human agression is a learned trait thats why pitt bulls are not used for police dogs or militery dogs by nature they are not human agressive,,,,more then likely the little dog was what the pitt bulls were after the entire time,,,not the children..those dogs have the abilty to kill that little dog and maul those kids with no problem...they were showing their dominece towards the little dog and he didnt back down and the pitts did what is in their nature,,they will never back down from a fight from any animal...so this is just some more anti pitt bull propaganda...

before you try to flame me i know the reputation of these animals and what can happen in the hands of a bad owner or breeders i am not saying children or people havent been mauled by one of these dogs...but 9 times out of 10 it was the owners teaching the dog to act a certain way....these dogs can cause major damage but its not in their nature to do it against people..do some research not buy into the media blits against them..more the owners..even dog fighters dont want a human agressive dog because they are harder to train

I highly doubt that the JRT was the target of the Pit Bulls. The Pitts were after the small kid. Often time dogs with high prey drives also see small kids as prey. They were not just trying to show their dominance, they were attacking with the intent of killing. Showing dominance does not begin with chasing, they are two entirely seperate behaviors. This is one tough Jack Russell, not only was he old at 14, but he also had a heart condition. I also have a JRT about 5 years of age, and I know from experience that the gamest of these dogs never back down from anything. My dog is an Alpha female, and whenever another dog attempts to stand on her and be dominant, she jumps around and snaps at them. More than once she has taken on an entire crowd of dogs ranging in number from 8-12.

These dogs have the ability to kill prey over twice their own size, and part of that reason is their ability to dislocate their own jaw to get a grip on larger prey items. Of course their tenacity is the driving factor. American Pit Bull Terriers and Jack Russell Terriers are the two most Game dogs you will ever come across. I have seen JRTs that have been beaten, stomped on, and thrown into walls, and they still survive. One in Australia got into a fight with 5 Pits in a fenced in yard, and managed to survive long enough that he only died at the vet. That is really saying a lot, as most dogs would be torn to shreds from such an encounter. I've even come across a JRT that fought off 3 wild Coyotes and survived. These are truly tough dogs, and despite their small size, they can hold way more than their own. George is a shining example of the true Jack Russell character.

No one really knows what happened if the dogs were after the kids or the dog. Someone already ready wrote both pitbulls and Jack Russells are terriers a breed well known for the thrill of a fight and not to give up. Until you own a bull/ terrier breed you'll never understand this drive.

For a bull breed to have human aggression is extremely rare. Back in the pits where it all started human aggression wasn't tolerated and the animal was destroyed. If these dogs were human aggressive it was more likely caused by an idiot owner who wanted to be macho.

Human aggression no, but I never let my dogs near other dogs and double collar them when out walking for their own safety. They can't be blamed then if a dog runs at them and wants a fight.

linked-image

linked-image

I think the reason that Pit Bulls get such bad press is that they are the favorite dog of the poor and gangs. They are a status symbol, like a fast car or expensive shoes. It also seems that they are more likely to be encountered, because their owners are commonly of the lower class and don't own a home, but live in an apartment. Thus, they need to walk the dog, instead of putting them in a fenced yard.

There is usually nothing wrong with Pit Bulls, they are just commonly owned by the wrong kind of people.

I find that statement offensive..... commonly owned by the lower classes who don't own homes. Here's my almost 70year old mum who owns her own house with her APBT, we also own our own home and walk our dogs daily rain, hail or shine.

linked-image

Diechecker did say 'usually' not 'always'.. there are exceptions. where I live the choice dog usually owned by scum is the pitbull.

Nice dog pics by the way... looks cute.

No one really knows what happened if the dogs were after the kids or the dog. Someone already ready wrote both pitbulls and Jack Russells are terriers a breed well known for the thrill of a fight and not to give up. Until you own a bull/ terrier breed you'll never understand this drive.

For a bull breed to have human aggression is extremely rare. Back in the pits where it all started human aggression wasn't tolerated and the animal was destroyed. If these dogs were human aggressive it was more likely caused by an idiot owner who wanted to be macho.

Human aggression no, but I never let my dogs near other dogs and double collar them when out walking for their own safety. They can't be blamed then if a dog runs at them and wants a fight.

linked-image

Well said.

As even experts on Canine behaviour have stated they have it partially in them as most terriers and even other types(Rottweilers Dobermans etc)do anyway, but then you have those careless heroic owners that 'induce that aggression' out of them 'intentionally' to extremes.

edit: I'm an owner of two pure bred Jack Russells and i hear ya loud and clear(aggressive but only when called for, very intelligent, very fast/active/playful they love & are very protective of kids and the best guard dogs imo...i think they should have the super man logo on their chests lol!

Edited by REBEL

Remember, both Jack Russels and Staffies (pit bulls) are terriers. Both are aggressive, spunky and smart and acs.rudeboy is correct. Both are animal agressive (which is why pit bulls are used horribly for dog fighting) they're also quite territorial of what they perceive to be theirs, including their humans.

I will agree with acs.rudeboy on this one. Both Staffies and Jr's have STRONG prey drives as well, it's likely the Staffies were more interested in the Jack rather than the children.

That being said, Staffies when raised correctly, and given a lot of positive mental and physical stimulation can be the best dogs you've ever owned (they're scary smart, most terriers are). Saddly, many owners don't raise them correctly.

staffies and pit-bull terriers are two totally different breeds of dogs, and are often confused with each other. any dog when trained can be animal agressive, so i wouldnt stereotype in such a way.

just out of curiosity, are you ABSOLUTELY sure that the dogs were pit bulls? I own 2 and I'm constantly keeping my ears open for stories of pit bull violence. Alot of the time the dogs in the news arn't pit bulls at all, people just jump to that conclusion being that they are probably the #1 feared dog in the world. Anyways I think it depends on the owner of the dog ultimately. Neglectful/abusive owner=vicious dog IMO

thank you kendra.. its true here in aust that when there is a dog-bite attack ppl usually first go down the path of a pittie

I think Pit Bulls can definitely be very sweet, as all the bully breeds can be. I don't think I'd ever own one, personally, but I've encountered some very sweet and also some aggressive Pit Bulls... it definitely depends on the owner and the genetics of the dog.

my girlfriend got a pittie from a pup. and has asserted her dominance over the dog and trained it very well (both of us being vet-nurses) the dog is the sweetest. he is very affectionate and does not have a mean bone in his body. she has 5 cats and one lorikeet (bird) and they all walk over this dog. one thing that scares ppl is his bark.. big dog = scary bark (in some cases) but he wouldnt hurt a fly and carries his fluffy toy around with him everywhere. sookie la la

I think the days of owning pitbulls should be over. I used to never feel this way, but I believe the breed has been ruined by breeders trying to breed meaner stronger dogs. Here in Dallas, for alot of poor people it is like a status symbol to have them. If we are to keep them, the owner should be charged with whatever the dog does. If it mauls a child, then the owner goes to jail for life. I love dogs, but I believe this breed is done. Better safe than sorry.

By the way, I own a 135lb Alaskan Malamute that I have no fear of him hurting my children or anyone else.

this is drivel... pitbulls or any dog for that matter should not be owned by some halfwit who cannot train or control a dog. but you cannot police that unfortunately. just recently here in australia a two week (pls correct me if im wrong) was killed NOT by a pittie, i think it could have been a malamute? the dog was accidentally left in the house, and grabbed the child from the cot by its head and killed it. dogs (like sharks) feel with their mouth..

working in the animal industry taught me that there are a lot of ignorant ppl who own animals and claim to love them. one guy thought it was really funny that his dog was agressive, until it turned on him (doberman) with two ppl on dog poles and another trying to get its back end, we could not restrain the animal. all over bad ownership. another lady has a chuihuahua, viscious little bugger. one dog i really do not trust is the blue heeler i was attacked by the same dog on a few occasions, as were the other nurses, the owners seem to think this was acceptable. but no farm dogs should be in the city. ppl are just too busy to walk their dogs these days. but if you are too busy you shouldnt have any pets at all. its not fair on the animal. at the end of the day. no child should be left alone with a dog period. you just have to tweak the dog in the right/wrong way and bam.. dog attack

bet that dog has a big shiney new fire hydrant made of the finest gold in heaven,what a brave brave dog,probable cause for angels to cry,what a hero he was,what a hero!

I find that statement offensive..... commonly owned by the lower classes who don't own homes. Here's my almost 70year old mum who owns her own house with her APBT, we also own our own home and walk our dogs daily rain, hail or shine.

You may find it offensive, but it does not change the fact that pit bulls are banned in many places, because people use them as weapons. I also can not help the experiences I have had.

Do you leash the dog? Probably, but do you leash him because it is the law or because he might get aggressive? What about in the country? Dog Parks? The Beach? Do you get my point? You may say he would never hurt anyone or any other animal, but you don't take him off the leash.

Also you have to admit that if a pit bull was to attack someone, it would try to finish the attack. And, being strong and tough, they could kill an adult human. That is what makes them a good weapon to low end criminals.

Rest In Peace, George the tiny terrier... :(

Edited by Raised By Ducks

You may find it offensive, but it does not change the fact that pit bulls are banned in many places, because people use them as weapons. I also can not help the experiences I have had.

Do you leash the dog? Probably, but do you leash him because it is the law or because he might get aggressive? What about in the country? Dog Parks? The Beach? Do you get my point? You may say he would never hurt anyone or any other animal, but you don't take him off the leash.

Also you have to admit that if a pit bull was to attack someone, it would try to finish the attack. And, being strong and tough, they could kill an adult human. That is what makes them a good weapon to low end criminals.

My dog a staffy is always on a lead when outside the yard both my dogs are. She was rescued off death row, and I know given half a chance she would attack another dog. It doesn't matter where we go she always remains on lead as our retriever is the only dog she acts like a normal dog around. She was obviously used by some (human ) animal to be a fighting dog and yet she loves people even after what she's been through.

Don't blame the dog or the majority of owners, it's the minority who make the news that are to blame. I've had a big tough pitbull hide behind my legs when I've taken her out walking remember Blame the deed, not the breed.

any dog given half the chance, can and will attack.. it doesnt matter on the breed. basic care and training is what matters. and a majority of halfwits own animals have absolutely no idea on them, when to vaccinate, worm desex, train etc.. most of all, its the ppl with the least knowledge that are the worse and these are typically breeders, and pet shop owners (which should be outlawed).. quite a few i have had a run in with because they have no idea at all

for example..

dont worry about training a dog until it is 6 months old

"all beagles are allergic to heartgard"

"dont worry about desexing a dog until it is 18 months old"

"its ok to let the dog sleep on your bed, eat before you, and off your plate"

i could go on. the truth is any dog can potentially kill. it is not linked to a specific breed.. if chuihuahua's were larger, they could do a heck of a lot more damage. and you are lucky that they arent. they are viscious little so and so's.. but due to their size are not worried about.

as was said before, blame the owner not the dog

• 2 weeks later...

Page not found on CNN.

Anyways, sad story.

What a loving dog though, saved those kids lives.