Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

earth getting physically larger

chemical-licker

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Legatus Legionis

• Deinychus_rulz

• Fearisgood

• Chaøs

Totally credible, that flick. Seriously.

I mean, just what is that?

The support pillars for this hypothesis seem a bit shaky at best.

my internet connection speed is rather slow right now and buffering some videos is hard. don't worry i'll watch the vid and comment later. the topic is interesting.

uhh... this is nonsense. Firstly, how would this guy explain volcanoes, mountains, earthquakes ect with this... theory of his. Secondly "65 million years ago the platypus roamed across antartica and africa... dinosaurs..." :huh: hmmmkay...? The world can not expand, being that you'd have to constantly create material - which I guess could only come from asteroids - all the asteroids in the asteroid belt would make up a 'planet' half the size of the moon and they're still all there. I also find it funny how they bend the countries to make them fit into each other, and how they try and make out no oceans were around until 70million years ago (no idea where rain came from or how the dinosaurs survived 250million years prior to this, or how ocean dwelling creatures that were around during and far prior to the dinosaurs coped with no water). He also states that scientists don't find any fossils on the sea floor... well... that may be due to the whole depth and pressure and lack of light on the sea floor.

OH and another thing, evidence and facts prove this guy's 'theory' is bogus, along with all his self-contradictions.

oh im so glad someone else noticed this stuff too this film is just stupid no other workd for it

Haha, how absurd. Where was the ocean, just covered up? What a lame theory. He must not understand plate tectonics.

Uh...Hmm...Even my Physical Geography teacher never even stated this..if anything the earth should be staying the same rate because, the plate's sink and rise upon trenches and sub-duction in the ocean floor. So really, the earth is just making and breaking new crust and keeping it the same. Don't think this earth will ever get bigger really...maybe smaller when it explodes :innocent:

exactly thats why there no rock beyond that point because all the rock past then went through the process already

Whats so absurd about the Earth getting physically larger? Why do you thing the Earth is not sphere shaped but more of an oval? Its radius at the equater is larger than the radius at the poles, due to the centripetal force associated with the rotation of the Earth.

If the Earth is expanding, the only place the extra material would come from would be inside the earth. This supports the hollow earth theory. The volcanoes are hollowing it out.

(I'm in a 'let's have some fun' mood tonight)

*edited for typos

Edited by rassy

well....

didnt the earth get larger when living things started dieing and causeing dirt to comeforth? (couldnt think of a word:lol:)

cause when the earth was formed there wasnt dirt...only untill living things came along

so....technicly.....the earth did get larger :lol:

...right? :mellow:

just a teeny tiny bit -.-

Edited by cia

My honest opinion is the Earth is alive,( I have had this argument meany of times) why couldn't it "grow". Who are we to say, "This is what happens in the universe". We haven't even hit the galactic "kindergarden" yet. We are just cave men in faded blue jeans!

Now the Earth has a weight problem??

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I love this model/theory! Makes sense when you apply it to other planets and moons as well. Check out these clips.

New model

Makes sense to me, what is wrong with it? Can someone please show the best arguments against it. Found a nice thread discussing it, will have to go through it sometime...

NEAL ADAMS expanding Earth model

Wonder if it also explains why dinosaurs where so big.

New York Times Article Supports Neal's Theory

This humble dinosaur's running speed is the subject of the scientific narrator of this series. He tells us "other scientists" have analyzed its running power at its weight. Their conclusion:

First: At his size, 80 percent of his body weight must be in his legs. Well, obviously this is not so.

Second: At his body weight, he must only run at a top speed of 10 miles per hour.

Well, even the animators have shown the Tarascosaurus running at 40 or 50 miles per hour. His body is made for speed. Clearly the analysis is wrong

But is it. An elephant, not as big, has shoulder blades that have grown forward to protect the elephant's neck from spin torque. The elephant also has a massive trunk that helps to counterbalance the elephant's head as he turns it side to side. The Tarascosaurus has no such protection.

The Earth that Tarascosaurus lived on was less than half the size of the Earth today. The weight of the Tarascosaurus was one quarter of what it would seem to be, and so he ran 50 miles per hour and his head didn't snap off when he swung it around.

Here is a site with more detail:

expanding-earth.org

Edited by Fearisgood

They stole my theory.

We have been bombarded every second of meteorites, you think the earth won't gain weight?

Um... You guys need to wake up! The earth is alive!! If you want my reasoning, ask. But, it IS!

whoa! stop! earth getting bigger for no reason. earth can get big by being bombarded by Asteroids. this guy's theory is bogus. ocean comeup from nowhere

Um... You guys need to wake up! The earth is alive!! If you want my reasoning, ask. But, it IS!

Go ahead, I could use some entertainment.

this guy's theory is bogus. ocean comeup from nowhere

There are other possibilities than "nowhere". "Accretion" and hydrothermal vents to name a few.

The evidence is quite persuasive. Look... articles starting to appear, after 30-40 years of subduction "theory" and ad hoc explanations. Can subduction really explain why NO part of the ocean floor is not older that 200 million years old while an expanding earth expects it and eloquently explains it.

McCarthy, D. 2005. Biogeographical and geological evidence for a smaller,

completely-enclosed Pacific Basin in the Late Cretaceous. Journal of Biogeography, 32,

2161-2177.

McCarthy, D. 2003 The trans-Pacific zipper effect: disjunct sister taxa and matching

geological outlines that link the Pacific margins. Journal of Biogeography, 30, 1545-1561.

McCarthy, D. 2005 Biogeography and scientific revolutions. The Systematist, 3-12.

Have a look at:

Evidence

Edited by Fearisgood

There are other possibilities than "nowhere". "Accretion" to name one.

The evidence is quite persuasive. Look... articles starting to appear, after 30-40 years of subduction "theory" and ad hoc explanations. Can subduction really explain why NO part of the ocean floor is not older that 200 million years old while an expanding earth expects it and eloquently explains it.

McCarthy, D. 2005. Biogeographical and geological evidence for a smaller,

completely-enclosed Pacific Basin in the Late Cretaceous. Journal of Biogeography, 32,

2161-2177.

McCarthy, D. 2003 The trans-Pacific zipper effect: disjunct sister taxa and matching

geological outlines that link the Pacific margins. Journal of Biogeography, 30, 1545-1561.

McCarthy, D. 2005 Biogeography and scientific revolutions. The Systematist, 3-12.

Have a look at:

Evidence

this theory is saying that. the molten rock/core constantly produces rocks that expands the earth?

this theory is saying that. the molten rock/core constantly produces rocks that expands the earth?
This is why it was rejected in the 1960's and about the only (albeit big) objection to it becoming accepted today. However, looking at the positive evidence for an expanding earth, it certainly warrants further investigation.

Geophysics FAQ

1. Isn't the expansion of planets and moons geophysically impossible and wouldn't it violate

conservation of mass?

Since planets and moons did not pop into existence at their current size, everyone agrees they must have expanded at some point in their history. Currently, the process of planetary formation is one of the most important, outstanding mysteries in all of science. In July of 2005, Science Magazine listed the 125 most significant questions facing scientists today in an article sub-titled "What we don't know." One of the questions was, "How do planetsform?"

Current theories of planetary formation are known to be inadequate, and expanding Earth theory is, at bottom, a planetary formation theory. The seminal questions are: what are all the ways in which planets and moons have accumulated their mass, and when did they stop? There are only two plausible ways that planets can increase in mass: 1) Macroscopic objects can collide with or add to their surfaces, augmenting their size layer by layer or 2) ultra-mundane (e.g., sub-quantum) material can pass through the external layers and collect at the cores of planets and moons, causing them to expand from the inside out. This last method, which is consistent with ether-sink views of gravity, may be one aspect of planetary formation not adequately considered.

In fact, it is now widely accepted that the Jovian moon, Ganymede, has experienced significant, internally-generated, post-formation expansion. As Prockter (2001) writes: "The bright terrain formed as Ganymede underwent some extreme resurfacing event, probably as a result of the moon's increase in size". Collins et al. (1999) agree that the formation of the grooved terrain on Ganymede was likely the result of post-formation "global expansion"

References:

Collins, G.C., Pappalardo, R.T. & Head, J.W. (1999) Surface stresses resulting from internal

differentiation: Application to Ganymede tectonics. 30th Annual Lunar and Planetary

Science Conference, Houston, 1695. Available at

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/LPSC99/pdf/1695.pdf

Kerr, R.A. (2001) Jupiter's two-faced moon, Ganymede, falling into line. Science, 291, 22-23.

Prockter, L.M. (2001) Icing Ganymede. Nature, 410, 25-27.

Ravilious, K. (2002) Wind Up. New Scientist, 176, 30-33.

Edited by Fearisgood

ah now i understand. but the question is. why now? why hasn't it been released to the public much much ealier.

Edited by Kretos