Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boozing British Girls (BBC Documentry)

Syd Boggle

well drug addicts and alcoholics say they don't have a choice- they're addicted.

You can't choose your race or your sex- sexual orientation is debatable. Bisexuals almost suggest, it is a psychological choice in some cases.

They could still go to rehab and it was their choice to start it in the first place. I will admit though, that it is debatable if homosexual and bisexual are choices or not.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IronGhost

• Bill Hill

• Syd Boggle

• Spurious George

Oh I'm sorry I didnt know you got to pick when debates end, so it ended when you made a few last jabs at me then called it quits?

I dont see the reasoning behind finding drunk girls behaviour unacceptable due to the chance that a guy might rape them. You should be railing against the behaviour of drunk guys if thats your concern. Is it scientifically proven that all girls cant handle this supposed surge in testosterone from drinking or is this all purely opinion on your part?

I'd like to hear more from you regarding these "modern beliefs" that girls use to "justify" doing as they please? You know its not too late you can still find countries like Saudi Arabia that will shield you from these assertive women.

Yes it is scientifically proven, experiments have been done, high levels of testosterone in women is effectively caused by a drug (namely alcohol), this test was carried out by the BBC, now ultimately people can do what they like, but women who sleep around and get drunk are classless & so are the men! even the classless men dont want no to marry a woman like that! well perhaps you would, but you are a minority.....the whole male idea of "shes with me now, i dont care about her history" doest cut it!......Im not talking right or wrong, im just stating certain facts..

Now for you to mention Saudia Arabia, is a rediculous argument....its like saying...I should move there because I dont like Hooded gangs going round mugging people!! Its quite a silly suggestion & doesnt constitute an intelligent point!!

As for me picking and choosing when debates end! Well thats my right, or are you against the rights of anyone having an opinion which differs from yours? seems you only support liberal ideas, and if they dont fit with your thought process you turn into a bit of a Marxist-Leninist, where you dont belive you should share this western world with people with more conservative views!

Edited by lord scrummage

Yes it is scientifically proven, experiments have been done, high levels of testosterone in women is effectively caused by a drug (namely alcohol), this test was carried out by the BBC, now ultimately people can do what they like, but women who sleep around and get drunk are classless & so are the men! even the classless men dont want no to marry a woman like that! well perhaps you would, but you are a minority.....the whole male idea of "shes with me now, i dont care about her history" doest cut it!......Im not talking right or wrong, im just stating certain facts..

The 'testosterone' argument you have used appears to be baseless, I'm afraid. Various studies have shown that women achieve higher blood alcohol levels than men by fact of their having less water in their bodies as a proportion of body weight. The level of alcohol in the blood may cause impairment of reason and aggressive behaviour can result, but the alcohol itself does not, per se, cause aggression.

Study 1

Study 2

As for the rest of this paragraph, you are not 'stating certain facts' you are stating an opinion - which is your right but don't be so surprised that others have differing opinions. If you wish to state 'facts' please provide links to independent, unbiased sites which may support your supposition.

With regards your initial post, there is a rising level of 'laddish' behaviour in young women compared to, say, 20 years ago. In my opinion this is more down to young women feeling freer to express themselves in the same way young men have and, while some people may yearn to 'rewind the clock' and return us to a society with 1950's morality, I think the majority of people realise this is simply part of the growing pains of a new, more balanced society where men and women have greater equality.

The other aspects of anti-social behaviour you mention - the yobbish behaviour etc - this is true for the whole of today's youth culture, not just women. That young women are freer to express their equality in this culture may highlight their behaviour to someone with expectations of a previous cultural experience, but we are only shocked by this because it is new, not because it is any more 'wrong' than young men going out and behaving in the same way.

It used to be that British girls had decent role models, fine women like, Honor Blackman, Delia Smith, even their own mothers....

Yes going back in time, these women seem to have more class. Even back to the 40's with WWII pinup such as Vera Lynn.

Actually come to think of it does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?

Remember how she said that We would meet again some sunny day.

Vera! VERA! VEEEEEEEERRRRAAAAA!

What has become of you.

Sorry for the shouting I don't know what came over me..

Yes going back in time, these women seem to have more class. Even back to the 40's with WWII pinup such as Vera Lynn.

What has become of you.

that was a somewhat "off The Wall" comment Billyhil ? :P

Meow Purr

The 'testosterone' argument you have used appears to be baseless, I'm afraid. Various studies have shown that women achieve higher blood alcohol levels than men by fact of their having less water in their bodies as a proportion of body weight. The level of alcohol in the blood may cause impairment of reason and aggressive behaviour can result, but the alcohol itself does not, per se, cause aggression.

Study 1

Study 2

As for the rest of this paragraph, you are not 'stating certain facts' you are stating an opinion - which is your right but don't be so surprised that others have differing opinions. If you wish to state 'facts' please provide links to independent, unbiased sites which may support your supposition.

With regards your initial post, there is a rising level of 'laddish' behaviour in young women compared to, say, 20 years ago. In my opinion this is more down to young women feeling freer to express themselves in the same way young men have and, while some people may yearn to 'rewind the clock' and return us to a society with 1950's morality, I think the majority of people realise this is simply part of the growing pains of a new, more balanced society where men and women have greater equality.

The other aspects of anti-social behaviour you mention - the yobbish behaviour etc - this is true for the whole of today's youth culture, not just women. That young women are freer to express their equality in this culture may highlight their behaviour to someone with expectations of a previous cultural experience, but we are only shocked by this because it is new, not because it is any more 'wrong' than young men going out and behaving in the same way.

OK, here is a snippet from the BBC website.... According to medical research, testosterone - the hormone connected to male characteristics such as aggression and sex drive - rises in women by up to 50% when they get drunk. So yes i state it as fact.

heres the BBC link www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=94395&st=75

Now you suggest in your post that i am stating my opinions & not facts! Which facts/opinions are you reffering to? I have accurately stated facts according to my sources & have aired my opinions! if your not satisfied with my fact based comments, then continue to do your own research!

with regards to your two links, well they are just relaying their own facts & studies, this however does not make them undisputably accurate! I choose my own facts over yours! Thats my choice my friend!

you say we are shocked by this new trend in behaviour because we are not used to it!!!! So your an appoligist for bad behaviour! Can i also assume that you are an appologist for the increasing number of Hooded gangs terrorising our streets? ( The liberals say they are societies fault) this is also a new behaviour in the UK, but hey perhaps im just not used to it!

both sexes are wrong to behave in the leary way that they do, but if you had children my friend, what would upset you more? your drunken son flashing his ass or manhood to a crowd of girls? or your daughter flashing her breasts & other parts ?

Any father with self respect, can only answer that one way!

Is that sexist? Damn right mate!

why?... because women are women & men are men!..............

And to prove that to any uber liberals, when you hear about a man beating up a woman (for whatever reason) its far more shocking & unnacceptable, than if it was the other way around!! and in a court of Law, that is practised Fact, sonshine.....C'mon

Edited by lord scrummage

Lewd Scrummage, you don't mind mixing topics in order to justify a chauvinistic attitude toward women, do you!

If women shouldn't drink because it makes them more vulnerable to rape, why aren't you also suggesting that men shouldn't drink because it can incline them towards it?

Have you heard that some women receive testosterone injections to help their aggression in business situations that occur predominantly with men who are probably over 40? Oh dear, now men might be subject to corporate rape? High time.

Lewd Scrummage, you don't mind mixing topics in order to justify a chauvinistic attitude toward women, do you!

If women shouldn't drink because it makes them more vulnerable to rape, why aren't you also suggesting that men shouldn't drink because it can incline them towards it?

Have you heard that some women receive testosterone injections to help their aggression in business situations that occur predominantly with men who are probably over 40? Oh dear, now men might be subject to corporate rape? High time.

Explorer, if you can remove your burnt bra from your ears & eyes for a moment, so although you hate my "stereotypical views" you also hold them!

As far as i am aware , many women have been jailed for rape! or technical rape with under 16 year olds!

Unfortunately if women need to take drugs (namely testosterone) to enhance their performance in work & business, then they should perhaps stick to domestic life!!

Edited by lord scrummage

Well good morning Lord Scrummage, enemy of freedom.

Your arguments dont hold up, they are mearly ways in which you mask your chauvinism, which I say you do a very poor job at masking, like Clark Kent thinking a pair of lame glasses hides his true identity.

You are an enemy of freedom, you see behaviour and opinions in others that you dont agree with and think it should stop because of your sense of morality, morality is arbitrary, people dont have to bend to your sense of right and wrong because they are not absolutes, yet you wish to stop people from excercising their freedom and then say my outlook is Marxist-Leninist! LOL I think people should be able to do whatever they want and take the consequences, that is responsibility not some manufactured code of ethics that becomes outdated every generation, the old trying to hold the world back to their time. Let me ask you this, does it look like that time right now when you look outside or has the world changed since then?!?!

And no I do not wish to force the conservative to live by my "liberal ideas"(liberals are pansies) I just ask them to ****, just as I will not demand you go out drinking and get rowdy, you should not demand that others dont go out and get rowdy, I will not tell you how to live your life and you will not tell me how to live mine. But if you cant live your life without telling others how they should live theirs, then you are an enemy of freedom. An enemy of FREEDOM!!!!*Braveheart yell* linked-image

Edited by Catch .22

What has become of you.

I dig the old pinups as well as the new. I see a lot of class in the old pinups and a lot of class in the new ones, mind you a different kind of class for a different time. I dont see the tattoos or fetish-esque(Bettie Page inspired) pinups of today as lacking class, just a different type of class. And I think thats the cause of disagreement, class, style, beauty, etc is a matter of perspective, not one opinion is right nor is another wrong, just different and equally correct.

And no I do not wish to force the conservative to live by my "liberal ideas"(liberals are pansies) I just ask them to ****, just as I will not demand you go out drinking and get rowdy, you should not demand that others dont go out and get rowdy, I will not tell you how to live your life and you will not tell me how to live mine. But if you cant live your life without telling others how they should live theirs, then you are an enemy of freedom. An enemy of FREEDOM!!!!*Braveheart yell* linked-image

Right what are you on about? so you wont tell me how to live my life, and i wont tell you how to live your life YAWN, but if i cant live my life YAWN, without telling others about their lives YAWN......I give up, your message has blurred into a series of my life, your life, their life, her life, his life....god..its repetitive.

You should change your name from Catch22 to Lord Of The Bores....

Braveheart yell? More like a Captain Caveman yoddle....#

C'mon

Lord Of The Bores....

look who's talking

Right what are you on about? so you wont tell me how to live my life, and i wont tell you how to live your life YAWN, but if i cant live my life YAWN, without telling others about their lives YAWN......I give up, your message has blurred into a series of my life, your life, their life, her life, his life....god..its repetitive.

You should change your name from Catch22 to Lord Of The Bores....

Braveheart yell? More like a Captain Caveman yoddle....#

C'mon

Say again Enemy of Freedom? linked-image

Admit it you found the Braveheart smiley cute, didnt ya, admit it!!

I missed you today Scummage, where ya been? You havent forgotten about the good times we had have ya? I thought we could go for round 2 today but I'm outta here in like 1 hour :cry:

OK, here is a snippet from the BBC website.... According to medical research, testosterone - the hormone connected to male characteristics such as aggression and sex drive - rises in women by up to 50% when they get drunk. So yes i state it as fact.

heres the BBC link www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=94395&st=75

Now you suggest in your post that i am stating my opinions & not facts! Which facts/opinions are you reffering to? I have accurately stated facts according to my sources & have aired my opinions! if your not satisfied with my fact based comments, then continue to do your own research!

with regards to your two links, well they are just relaying their own facts & studies, this however does not make them undisputably accurate! I choose my own facts over yours! Thats my choice my friend!

you say we are shocked by this new trend in behaviour because we are not used to it!!!! So your an appoligist for bad behaviour! Can i also assume that you are an appologist for the increasing number of Hooded gangs terrorising our streets? ( The liberals say they are societies fault) this is also a new behaviour in the UK, but hey perhaps im just not used to it!

both sexes are wrong to behave in the leary way that they do, but if you had children my friend, what would upset you more? your drunken son flashing his ass or manhood to a crowd of girls? or your daughter flashing her breasts & other parts ?

Any father with self respect, can only answer that one way!

Is that sexist? Damn right mate!

why?... because women are women & men are men!..............

And to prove that to any uber liberals, when you hear about a man beating up a woman (for whatever reason) its far more shocking & unnacceptable, than if it was the other way around!! and in a court of Law, that is practised Fact, sonshine.....C'mon

I'm afraid your link to the BBC study you refer to wasn't successful.

Here is a BBC study (is this the one you were referring to?) which is of a benign nature, mentioning only that a small increase in testosterone which may be caused by a regular, low-level intake of alcohol can help protect against rheumatoid arthritis.

Another study showing the temporary effect alcohol consumption can have on testosterone levels can be found here.

As you will find when you read, the effect is not limited to women, as you intimate in your posts, but is non-gender specific and only effects some people.

Saying that, if you wish to accept what you have seen or read at face value that is your right. The unbiased sources I supply certainly may not be indisputable and you may wish to disregard them if the information they provide clashes with your viewpoint.

I'm afraid your link to the BBC study you refer to wasn't successful.

Here is a BBC study (is this the one you were referring to?) which is of a benign nature, mentioning only that a small increase in testosterone which may be caused by a regular, low-level intake of alcohol can help protect against rheumatoid arthritis.

Another study showing the temporary effect alcohol consumption can have on testosterone levels can be found here.

As you will find when you read, the effect is not limited to women, as you intimate in your posts, but is non-gender specific and only effects some people.

Saying that, if you wish to accept what you have seen or read at face value that is your right. The unbiased sources I supply certainly may not be indisputable and you may wish to disregard them if the information they provide clashes with your viewpoint.

You know Leonardo, you're probably the only person on this forum who I hasn't posted even one bad, or just questionable post. Much respect dude. Other than that...I'm mostly with Catch22 here, I can't see why Scrummy bothers yet again with his pointless rants. Again voicing his narrow-minded opinions as facts...boring. Besides, I'm getting tired of the whole character...why not just drop the facade and be yourself. I wouldn't wonder if Scrummy is some other board member's pseudonym, he's just that ridiculous.

I being an american used to summer on cape cod with alot of english and Irish girls....they were lushes mostly. and as a rule you'd go with the english girls because they fooled around; unlike their irish counterparts..that was 25 years ago so not much has changed...

You know Leonardo, you're probably the only person on this forum who I hasn't posted even one bad, or just questionable post. Much respect dude. Other than that...I'm mostly with Catch22 here, I can't see why Scrummy bothers yet again with his pointless rants. Again voicing his narrow-minded opinions as facts...boring. Besides, I'm getting tired of the whole character...why not just drop the facade and be yourself. I wouldn't wonder if Scrummy is some other board member's pseudonym, he's just that ridiculous.

Cheers, clocker... ^_^

It's possible Lord Scrummager could be a multi, although that is against forum rules. I really can't be bothered being paranoid that every other person on here might be some caricature though, takes too much energy worrying about that.... :)

I feel though, even a multi should at least try to get their facts straight if they're going to try to play the part of the troll effectively.

I mean, have SOME pride in your trolling... :P

Lord Scrummage, I am not suggesting you ARE a multi, nor am I suggesting you are a troll. I am responding to clockers' question as to why I bother responding.

Edited by Leonardo

Regardless of any sexual revolution, I don't think any man wants to end up with a girl who's slept around.

Why only last weekend, this drunk girl comes up to me, her face red like all the colours of royal flush.

She asks me to guess how many men she’s slept with?

The slapper’s are down..

100?

200?

300?

400!

And I can see those STD clinics.. and I can see those STD clinics..

We take the staircase to the first floor

We turn the key and slowly unlock the door

As a man called Mr Saxophone gets blown

And through the walls we hear the city groan

Outside it's United Kingdom

Outside it's United Kingdom

And I’m running… running into the arms..into the arms……… of a good girl.

All i can say those people, who insist on looking to challenge me, for what i suspect is an egotistical power buzz! the fact that Catch22 misses me, suggests that he thinks im his Nemesis! his opposite equal! we are not opposite equals my friend! Infact, if we were pond life, you would perhps be a tattooed tadpole, while i would be a hoodie with gold teeth, throwing stones into the pond

And Leonardo, you suggest in an indirect manner(blaming clocker) that i am a caricature, perhaps you are the caricature, The whole Leonardo Da Vinci theme suggests a very camp & pompus ideal of being a legend in ones own mind, this whole Methodical, logical, reasonability, is all little to concieted! im not saying thats what you are ofcourse!

but hey.....If there is one fact of life i learned in the Army, while serving the 3rd Royal Battalion Parachute Regiment, this was our moto!!......

If you didn't care, what happened to me,

and I didn't care for you,

we would, zig zag our way, through the boredom and pain,

occasionally, glancing up through the rain,

wondering which of the buggers to blame,

and watching for pigs on the wing.

C'mon

Edited by lord scrummage

All i can say those people, who insist on looking to challenge me, for what i suspect is an egotistical power buzz! that fact that Catch22 misses me, suggests that he thinks im his Nemesis! his opposite equal! we are not opposite equals my friend! Infact, if we were pond life, you would perhps be a tattooed tadpole, while i would be a chav throwing stones into the pond

And Leonardo, you suggest in an indirect manner(blaming clocker) that i am a caricature, perhaps you are the caricature, The whole Leonardo Da Vinci theme suggests a very camp & pompus ideal of being a legend in ones own mind, the whole Methodical, logical, reasonability, its all little to concieted! im not saying thats what you are ofcourse!

but hey.....If there is one fact of life i learned in the Army, while serving the 3rd Royal Battalion Parachute Regiment, this was our moto!!......

If you didn't care what happened to me,

and I didn't care for you,

we would zig zag our way through the boredom and pain,

occasionally glancing up through the rain,

wondering which of the buggers to blame

and watching for pigs on the wing.

C'mon

You are amusing, Lord Scrummage.

I'm certain you found that comment camp, pompous and conceited of me, but it was an honest acknowledgement of the comedic irony inherent in your posting. Keep up the good work sirrah! :tu:

All i can say those people, who insist on looking to challenge me, for what i suspect is an egotistical power buzz! that fact that Catch22 misses me, suggests that he thinks im his Nemesis! his opposite equal! we are not opposite equals my friend! Infact, if we were pond life, you would perhps be a tattooed tadpole, while i would be a chav throwing stones into the pond

Nemesis?!? I thought we were friends linked-image You complete me......

you would perhps be a tattooed tadpole, while i would be a hoodie with gold teeth, throwing stones into the pond

The whole Leonardo Da Vinci theme suggests a very camp & pompus ideal of being a legend in ones own mind,

*Raises hand* Mr Lord, Sir, can I be a tattooed hoodie with gold teeth, throwing stones in the pond, while pompusly thinking I'm a legend in my own mind?

*Raises hand* Mr Lord, Sir, can I be a tattooed hoodie with gold teeth, throwing stones in the pond, while pompusly thinking I'm a legend in my own mind?

My dear, by your avatar, you already appear to be a legend in your own mind! an angel with wings....quite

Edited by lord scrummage

My dear, by your avatar, you already appear to be a ledend in your own mind! an angel with wings....quite

*sigh* That's right my dear *Bats lashes* You've got me pegged. I worship myself often. :blush: