Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Women wearing pants and the bible

Ryo Ohki

Utily-kilts? :unsure:

Here ya go IamsSon... I picked this one just for you, it's a very manly camo style :lol: :

linked-image

And ya, guys I work with wear these all the time. No one thinks twice about wearing them in Seattle.

Edited by MissMelsWell

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doug1029

• Beckys_Mom

• Kalien

• texasgirlheather

What about Calamity Jane? And other cowgirls? They're wearing trousers and not being feminine... well, Calamity Jane wasn't anyway.

There's something about a kilt... they're sexy. :blush: Why am I thinking about Sean Connery?

One thing I look at when it comes to dress codes is that most are made by the cultures and social enviroments where people originate. For example, even though most Asian and Middle Eastern cultures have differences the dress codes and styles of clothing are similar and the rules for dress are similar. I think that the Bible dress codes had more to do with the cultured styles of that time that what God desired us to wear. If you remember right God's first dress code for man and woman was the birthday suit we are all born in. We didnt start clothing ourselves until we ate the forbidden fruit. So in my opinion the dress code had more to do with what the Hebrew leaders desired their followers to wear rather than what God wanted.

You don't think women should wear pants? All I wear is pants.

I think men should wear skirts ^_^

Is this replying to me?

I think men should wear skirts

Aye, and that's what we Scots do, only we call them Kilts! LOL :P

Aye, and that's what we Scots do, only we call them Kilts! LOL :P

There are so many other styles of skirts though :0 pink chiffon

hahaha, did you see the picture of the guy I posted on the previous page? He should DEFINTELY always wear a skirt! hahaha :lol:

I think just making a blanket statement like, "Women shouldn't wear pants," dismisses the details. I think that is clinging too much to the letter of the law, and not considering the spirit of it. I wear pants all the time, but I am not attempting to look masculine. I don't wear men's shoes with them (in fact quite the opposite :P I like my girly shoes), I don't wear men's shirts, etc... I think you have to look at the whole thing going on, how is that person presenting theirself? In their entirety are they trying to take on with their dress the appearance of their opposite gender? If not, women wearing pants in a feminine style, doesn't apply, IMO. I actually think pants are more modest than most skirts, that's because of the current culture of show-it-all, and it's hard to find skirts that don't embarass me. They're all minis now. Yuk. It's not actually as attractive as it is... skanky. I'm fairly liberal about how I dress, I am always covered up but I'll wear a tank top when it's hot outside. My overall goal is to be feminine and decent, I haven't found how pants ruin that goal unless I were to try very hard to make them. It's all in the intent of the one picking out the clothes, as to what message they want to convey.

Our culture pretty much acknowledges that skirts for the most part are a uniquely female thing. If men were to start wearing female-style skirts it would be for the purpose of looking feminine. Why are pants considered unisex, but not skirts? I don't know, it just seems like women can wear pants and still look like women.

I've known some women who would never wear pants, and to me it seems like they're trying too hard to "follow the rules." I'm not even sure that it's suggested we only wear skirts, I've never seen it and I'm pretty familiar with my Bible.

great answer...i agree...intent is the key...i believe this is one of those nonsense issues that pop up in the forums and creates unnecessary confusion especially for new believers...i think God gave us common sense for a reason...texasgirlheather has given a great explanation and has also given us a good example of that common sense that God gave us to apply to His Word...

randomhit10

agree with the culture thing to an extent back when this was wrote it had alot to do with women wearing the garments of that inwhich the man of "military' stature would wear...for since all was dressed in robes, but as you read more of the text there was also different robes...like that of which a priest would wear. they would be recognized for being a priest because of their garments..

women havent always worn pants not until "lately" women have only been wearing pants since early 1900-1920'ish...pants was the garments of the man untill then..it was a shame for women to wear them...as time went on the custom began to be accepted to where there was no difference...so its relativley new for women to wear them....

clothing tells alot about a person...look at police...we can easliy regonize them because of their "uniform" look at our military members we can easily regonize them and their branch by their "uniform"...they are easliy identifed just by their dress...

men and women can not in many many cases this day and age....walk down the street and look ...it is not as easy to identify...

dress codes are through out the bible if one is living ''accordingly'' then they should live as it states...you can identify these ppl as well ....if one reads and exaimes these dress codes and as you walk your daily life and look around you can spot them out as well...there is reason behind these dress codes but then again one must read to know them....

hahaha, did you see the picture of the guy I posted on the previous page? He should DEFINTELY always wear a skirt! hahaha :lol:

Lol yes. I also like Ancient Chinese/Korean/Japanese Men's wear.

I like those clothes, too.

But I like even more *modern* clothes worn by Japanese men... In certain bands. :P

I like those clothes, too.

But I like even more *modern* clothes worn by Japanese men... In certain bands. :P

Visual Kei X3, I like what the members of Kagrra wear in a lot of their videos, especially Isshi.

My hubby has a pair of hakama. Actually so do I. They're nice to walk about it... they make a nice sound.

There are so many other styles of skirts though :0 pink chiffon

LOL!

Or Chrimpline, crimpline, crimplyn - damn I don't know how you spell it and I am too darn lazy to get the dictionary lol.

I heard fundies say women shoudnt wear pants because the bible says that but I thought everyone wore robes back then. Did they make it up?

why is everyone referring to christian extremists as fundamentalists, actually fundamentalist are trying to go back to core, fundamental beliefs, all that love & forgivement stuff. extremists, on the other hand, are more about fire and brimstone stuff

why is everyone referring to christian extremists as fundamentalists, actually fundamentalist are trying to go back to core, fundamental beliefs, all that love & forgivement stuff. extremists, on the other hand, are more about fire and brimstone stuff

Quite so and also

"Lets put the fun back into fundamentalism" ----------- Sidddhartha

My wife wears the pants in my house :innocent::innocent: :innocent:

mine too...lol...would you believe i get to tell her which pair?...

randomhit10

Does this mean the Scots men can't wear kilts????

Check out the picture on my personal profile. Yes, that's me. In full military uniform.

Before 1700 the Scots wore something resembling a Roman toga. Then the great kilt became fashionable. But the great kilt is a real chore to put on and if you were in bed and the Campbells attacked, you'd have to fight them naked. The small kilt (like in the picture) was invented in 1825 by steel workers because the great kilt kept getting caught in machinery.

During the American Revolution America had its own Highland Regiment (79th New York Highlanders). I am not familiare with their battle record, though, or even if they had one. The 42nd Highland Regiment fought at Ticonderoga and against Washington on Long Island and Manahattan. They occupied Fort Pitt (Pittsburg) between the Revolution and the War of 1812.

There was a piper at the Alamo (John MacGregor), but I doubt he wore a kilt.

The last time that I am aware of the kilt being worn in battle was during World War I by the 51st Highland Regiment - the Germans called them "the ladies from hell." The Scots added a d to "ladies."

Regimental pipers fought during World War II (One of them now lives in Wichita.). The most-recent use of a battlefield piper in an official capacity was when the 42nd led the march into Basra in 2003 - mounted on a tank.

Anyway, there is no article of clothing more manly than a kilt, if you're man enough to wear one. Actually, they don't hang or move right on a woman because the wider hips interfere with the sway of the material. But try to tell that to a woman!

--DJS

lol I know that was probably meant jokingly, but it does actually have a good point in it. To me, I personally would think that it is not what is referred to by the Bible passage, because it has a significant cultural meaning that has nothing to do at all with giving a man an air of femininity. It is not meant to be effeminate, I don't think Scot men are trying to be pretty when they wear them. I am not super-familiar with the custom, but I believe it has to do with pride in clans and family lines (someone Scottish please correct me if I'm wrong, which is highly possible). The point being, it is associated with masulinity in THAT culture and when worn in that way. Now if they started accessorizing.... and worrying about whether it would look hot with stiletto boots or not... :P

The kilt I am wearing on my personal site is the Red MacDuff. The tartan is that of Scotland's senior clan. There are about 4500 different tartans associated with clans and families. Various jurisdictions have their own tartans, such as the County Down, the America, the South America and even the New Mexico tartan. The City of Tulsa, even has its own tartan. Specific military units used to have their own tartans - now they use only the Black Watch and Scottish National. Pipe bands usually just borrow somebody else's and don't bother to register their own.

Piper's uniforms usually include weapons such as the sgian dubh (skidoo), dirk and sometimes a sword. They're supposed to be an indication of rank, like the shoulder chevron, but there's always somebody around who wants a promotion he hasn't earned.

--DJS