Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Egyptian evidence in Australia

The Puzzler

10 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

most certainly. But the majority would have been around the Aegean basin. 

Such as the Peleset  (Philistines.)

Harte

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Harte said:

Such as the Peleset  (Philistines.)

Harte

i know where you are getting that from and you are just generalising again. the Egypt of those times was a powerful and dominate state that interacted and warred with many states. the Philistines to the best of my knowledge were not particularly renowned for sea travel and buccaneering. they might have joined in or they might have been land based and invaded Egypt for its obvious wealth and thus included as another invader.  

the Minoans and Mycenaeans were the dominate sea faring war mongers of the day and you shouldn't let your pride get in the way of a logical debate.  

Edited by Captain Risky

On 5/15/2018 at 1:14 AM, Lord Harry said:

First line of the quote. The author discredited himself by using the term "hieroglyphics" instead of the proper and scholarly terminology "hieroglyphs." There is no reason to read any further. By using the term "hieroglyphics" ( which is an adjective and cannot be pluralized) the so called "researcher" revealed himself to be a charlatan. 

back it up there bro. spelling mistakes are never a indicator if someone is right or wrong. just saying you need to be more 'pacific' in your criticisms of another's views. :) 

On 5/18/2018 at 9:02 AM, jaylemurph said:

...if you're somehow using Homer as an historical source, you're not really using modern /or/ period sources correctly, and so not in a position to be dictating ethnicities of Greek subcultures.

even though you have a point about Homer writing after the fact by many centuries, i don't think its enough to completely dismiss Homer who was closer to the truth than we are. 

28 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

back it up there bro. spelling mistakes are never a indicator if someone is right or wrong. just saying you need to be more 'pacific' in your criticisms of another's views. :) 

That isn’t a spelling mistake though, that’s a terminology mistake. 

Thata like a teacher not knowing the difference between Pedagogy and Curriculum or a police officer not knowing the difference between Assault and Theft.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

even though you have a point about Homer writing after the fact by many centuries, i don't think its enough to completely dismiss Homer who was closer to the truth than we are. 

By that argument, Richard Owen knew more about Dinosaurs than we did because he was closer to the truth (time wise) than we are.

• Haha 1

Just now, Captain Risky said:

...clearly you need to read a little of the Greek Alexander Romance(s). They were only written a century or two after his death and have virtually /no/ historical value, despite being two millennia closer to Alexander's time than us. Temporal proximity is no guarantee of historical usefulness.

Also, there is no such thing as absolute historical truth. That concept tends to be thrown around by people who either don't know what they're talking about or have something to sell you.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

That isn’t a spelling mistake though, that’s a terminology mistake. 

Thata like a teacher not knowing the difference between Pedagogy and Curriculum or a police officer not knowing the difference between Assault and Theft.

nah i can't see it. please explain why it isn't a spelling mistake.  

5 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

By that argument, Richard Owen knew more about Dinosaurs than we did because he was closer to the truth (time wise) than we are.

thats not a relevant example. 

8 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

...clearly you need to read a little of the Greek Alexander Romance(s). They were only written a century or two after his death and have virtually /no/ historical value, despite being two millennia closer to Alexander's time than us. Temporal proximity is no guarantee of historical usefulness.

Also, there is no such thing as absolute historical truth. That concept tends to be thrown around by people who either don't know what they're talking about or have something to sell you.

--Jaylemurph

yeah I'm not a 100% on Troy either BUT the weird thing is that i watched this doco on the history channel that they found this ruined walled city in modern day Turkey that matches up with Homeric Troy. not saying that its Troy just that it is uncanny. the description of the city state Troy matches the Homer story.

I'm of the opinion that their is a little truth in every story. but its unimportant whether Troy is real or not its the identifiable factors like ethnicity, locations, thinking, reasons and personalities thats relevant to our discussion. generally i resist the urge to go off on tangents and i advice you to do the same and stick to the spirt of cordial discussion.   

nothing wrong with reading. i do it every chance i get. thanks. 

17 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

nah i can't see it. please explain why it isn't a spelling mistake.  

Because the correct terminology for what he was referring to was ... “hieroglyphs”. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

thats not a relevant example. 

No, it’s perfect because your argument is “he knew more because he was closer to the event”. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Because the correct terminology for what he was referring to was ... “hieroglyphs”. 

maybe i just don't get it but it looks like a spelling mistake rather than two different definitions like you originally suggested. 

Just now, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

No, it’s perfect because your argument is “he knew more because he was closer to the event”. 

its about time perspective and not trying you be cleaver by twisting the argument around. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

yeah I'm not a 100% on Troy either BUT the weird thing is that i watched this doco on the history channel that they found this ruined walled city in modern day Turkey that matches up with Homeric Troy. not saying that its Troy just that it is uncanny. the description of the city state Troy matches the Homer story.

I'm of the opinion that their is a little truth in every story. but its unimportant whether Troy is real or not its the identifiable factors like ethnicity, locations, thinking, reasons and personalities thats relevant to our discussion. generally i resist the urge to go off on tangents and i advice you to do the same and stick to the spirt of cordial discussion.   

nothing wrong with reading. i do it every chance i get. thanks. 

Hi Risky

If it doesn't matter if the story is true then how could the description of a city matter? For the most part they all had streets, houses, retail ect so any found site could meet many of the descriptors of a nonexistent city.

jmccr8

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

its about time perspective and not trying you be cleaver by twisting the argument around. 

Then maybe you should construct your position in a way that is beyond confusion(self inflicted confusion)

jmccr8

Just now, Captain Risky said:

No, he's not "twisting." He's using it in exactly the same you did but in a way that highlights its ample intellectual short-comings. I believe the Shakespearean version of the term "hoist by your own petard."

--Jaylemurph 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

No, he's not "twisting." He's using it in exactly the same you did but in a way that highlights its ample intellectual short-comings. I believe the Shakespearean version of the term "hoist by your own petard."

--Jaylemurph 

you have rocks for brains if you think that Homer living within verbal memory of an event and Sir wearer of Hats living after 3200 years latter can be equalised. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

you have rocks for brains if you think that Homer living within verbal memory of an event and Sir wearer of Hats living after 3200 years latter can be equalised. 

Indeed, as I, for example, am not blind unlike Homer.

• Like 1

Just now, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Indeed, as I, for example, am not blind unlike Homer.

not sure about that... you're posting like you drunk too much. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

not sure about that... you're posting like you drunk too much. 

... and the horse you rode in on son.... 

• Haha 1

you do realise that when that phrase was coined the horse was the dominate mode of transport? welcome to 2018 and the car. i wonder when we finally get autonomous vehicles and car ownership is a thing of the past whether the expression will be...

...and the rideshare company you used. ;)

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

...if you think Homer (if he even existed, which is a minority position in modern Classicism) was within living/verbal memory of the events that inspired his works, you yourself might need to re-assess your cranial contents.

--Jaylemurph

EDIT: It's a sign of a failing/poor argument that you result to such petty insults. One might think you've learned from the times threads get shut down when you do that, but there's little evidence to support that.

Edited by jaylemurph
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

It's a picky point but valid. You don't use "hieroglyphics" to refer to the style of that script because it's a noun, not an adjective. I had the same thing pounded into me when I was studying hieroglyphs.

So if you're looking at, say, a sarcophagus with an inscription on it, you would say, "This inscription is composed of hieroglyphs." Or if you want to use the modifier, you'd say, "This is hieroglyphic writing."

So, yes, very picky, but valid. It kind of hints at the legitimacy of the training and background a person has. But you know what? I work with Egyptologists, and every once in a while I hear them say "hieroglyphics."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

...if you think Homer (if he even existed, which is a minority position in modern Classicism) was within living/verbal memory of the events that inspired his works, you yourself might need to re-assess your cranial contents.

--Jaylemurph

EDIT: It's a sign of a failing/poor argument that you result to such petty insults. One might think you've learned from the times threads get shut down when you do that, but there's little evidence to support that.

hope i didn't hurt your feeling.