Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant skeletons in North America/Grand Canyon

Wickian

What about the 7 foot skeletons, the ones with horns, that were disccovered. Don't hear much about them, do you? ;)

Are you serious?

They actually found skeletons of cows?! :o

The issue I have, and what I've come across frequently, like in the example above, most presented "OOPARTs" tend to be fairly mundane in origin, or have a reasonable explanation instead of the more incredible claims.

What about the 7 foot skeletons, the ones with horns, that were disccovered. Don't hear much about them, do you? ;)

dont hear much about it, because its garbage. all there are, are stories.

The 7 ft. ones I commented about were found in PA, didn't mean to suggest they were found in the same area.

And you would have a source for that?

The issue I have, and what I've come across frequently, like in the example above, most presented "OOPARTs" tend to be fairly mundane in origin, or have a reasonable explanation instead of the more incredible claims.

You don't hear about them, because the bones disappeared, or were never collected. So they are unavailable for study. You can't draw conclusions on things you can not study. I would love for those bones to be found, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

<!--quoteo(post=1670806:date=May 11 2007, 06:56 PM:name=Wickian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wickian @ May 11 2007, 06:56 PM) 1670806[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are two stories that I always thought to be made until I did some research myself. The first being the giant human skeletons found all over North America when first being explored by Europeans. From what I've read most were over eight feet tall and buried within mounds. Some were claimed to have sandstones buried with them carved with hieroglyphics. These were all found during a time when religion had heavy influence and all mysteriously disappeared on the trips across the Atlantic.

The other story I've heard has been documented one time in a newspaper in Arizona. I can't remember the date off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure in the late 1800's to early 1900's is when a guy exploring the Grand Canyon found some strange looking ruins. He told his story in the newspaper the next day, but ever since then that area of the Grand Canyon has been blocked by(I know this makes me sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I assure I'm not) the government. It was never mentioned again.

I can't say for sure these actually happened, but I personally believe they did. I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of these events.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cool. Yes, there is an area in the Grand Canyon. That is completely & totally blocked off from the public. Makes you wonder what is really "there."

WOW! Thankyou for that bit of info moon princess, I never knew that.

I second that...

Thanks

B???

I think you should check the post just above yours, that is definitly in a believable context.

There have been plenty of instances over time where giant skulls, skeletons and giant artifacts have been found all around the world. Of course you don't hear about it at college, universtity or from the mainstream news, as it's covered up so well, it's as if it never existed or it will be called a hoax and some bull story will be cooked up and the people will believe it.

There have been fakes yes, but there have been confirmed real finds as well.

It must be a hoax...it has to be a hoax, because if these are real, indeed, which some finds have been confirmed to be exactly that. It throughs what we think we know and what they teach us about the human race and Earth's history into absolute turmoil.

This skull belonged to someone at least 12ft tall....... http://www.crystalinks.com/incahead1.jpg

Skeptics say it's just a disformed skull, though there have been plenty of skulls found like this worldwide. Also the capacity of this skull is bigger than that of a human.

This is a giant bone found in Turkey..... http://members.toast.net/rjspina/Giants%20...ntHumanLeg2.jpg

Giant axes found in Sumer..... http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/imagenes...tchers10_09.jpg

Skull of an unknown race found in Pennsylvania....... http://www.burlingtonnews.net/humanskullhorned.jpg

When it was sent off for testing, it suddenly went missing, how convenient that was, eh.

But as these blow Darwninism out of the water and pretty much most accepted history, they are filtered out and either called or hoax or they will smear anyone who dares to speak out.

Thankyou so much for this info!

I didn't say people didn't mishape their skulls, i'm well aware it goes on today and has done for thousands of years. But hey, who's head looks like that? Where did they get the idea of a head looking like that from? Certainly not humans. because humans heads didn't originally look like that an never have done naturally. So there must have been some original source who's head looked like that, on which they based there own mishapen skulls on. Hey, i wonder who that could of been, you don't suppose it could have been.....

That is the same point I was going to make, they had to have gotten the idea from somewhere! Probably from those that they refered to as "gods."

Visiting the site you took that from, no where do i find reference to the size of this person being twelve feet. is that a personal extrapolation?

Here's a photograph of a person suffering from carpenter's Syndrome:

gr7a-midi.jpg

There are other disorders that cause cone shaped or other, oddly shaped heads. Adding in to that common practices like head binding, and it's not outside of the range for human deformities.

That's not a thigh bone, that's a mock up of a thighbone that's supposedly human.

Yes, remarkably convenient. Also interesting to point out that researching the skull, while your link mentions the 1880's, it seems this image arose in 1916.

This is a scan of a newspaper printing a retraction on the story.

And, since no photographs were made of the non-horned indians, this leaves the skull as an enigma, with no actual source or story associated with it.

Actually, even if they were true, it hardly blows Darwinism, or Evolution out of the water, as you say.

I am just wondering what your motivation for calling the thigh bone a mock up, this attitude certainly does not come from a scientific investigation of the bone as I am sure you have not done one.

Seems you have your mind made up before the facts are presented.

I am just wondering what your motivation for calling the thigh bone a mock up, this attitude certainly does not come from a scientific investigation of the bone as I am sure you have not done one.

Seeing as you accept hocus's junk from sites which have no credence what so ever that is rather hypocritical of you, especially as hocus in the same post further demonstrates he knows nothing about evolution.

And if you bothered to read the article it linked to IT STATES IT IS A MOCK UP!

Only one person here making their mind up with out facts and it seems to be you.

Edited by Mattshark

Wow, that's a quote from well back in August.

No I have not.

The picture is captioned, stating it is a mock up of a bone they supposedly found. I suspect that it's the same bone used in a slightly earlier post on this thread by SlimJim.

GiantHumanLeg2.jpg

Joe Taylor, director of the Mt. Blanco Fosil Musuem in Crosbyton, Texas, was commisioned to sculpt this anatomically correct, and to scale, human femur.

Hence, it's a mock up, or place holder in place of the actual artifact.

Which is apparently lost.

Now, as you made a demonstrably false claim about me and my statements, I'd appreciate a apology.

Edited by ShadowSot

I think you should check the post just above yours, that is definitly in a believable context.

You're right. A government conspiracy to cover up hidden cities and tombs is /far/ more believable than thinking the government is trying to protect a delicate natural formation that is also extremely dangerous territory for humans, what with the sheer drops and rapid-filled river below. I can't imagine why they'd want to discourage people from going there when there are literally hundreds of miles of safer, maintained, ranger-watched areas.

--Jaylemurph

That is the same point I was going to make, they had to have gotten the idea from somewhere! Probably from those that they refered to as "gods."

You're skipping a very important step.

Before you deform a skull to look different, you have to know that skulls can be deformed in the first place. But, if you already know skulls can be deformed under certain conditions, (and this happens by accident to babies sometimes) then you don't really need a template to work from to start experimenting.

They were creating 'aliens' in Africa, around 1930:

Mangbetu.jpg

That little guy must now have grown to about 12 feet or something... heh.

http://www.iamcultured.com/spip.php?article188

You always seem to go off in the wrong direction!

Let me explain. Your classic strategy goes something like this:

1) Someone raises a curious unexplained phenomena, not necessarily new, but nonetheless, it does not sit comfortably in your mind.

2) Instead of looking at possibilities, you then find a mundane article/photograph, that you hope (and I would use that word), will dismiss and bury the question completely.

I have seen you both do this time and time again.

Has it occured to you why the African tribe could be practising this ritual?

Could it be perhaps that at one time people with elongated skulls did live here, and they were not artificially shaped? Could it be that they came to be this way, because either they were not endemic here and/or had enhanced brain capabilities?

Could it be that certain African people new of these ancient people and through tradition, revere them through ritualistic ceremony to mimic them? Is there evidence of mimicry with other indiginous people throughout the world, in their art, statues, and architecture, as yet unexplained? Does this practise fit with indiginous people? (Think of the cargo cults, easter island, Nazca, and many other examples).

Do you see how easy it is to not be so dismissive about things automatically? Try it.

Edited by zoser

1) Someone raises a curious unexplained phenomena, not necessarily new, but nonetheless, it does not sit comfortably in your mind.

2) Instead of looking at possibilities, you then find a mundane article/photograph, that you hope (and I would use that word), will dismiss and bury the question completely.

Could it be perhaps that at one time people with elongated skulls did live here, and they were not artificially shaped? Could it be that they came to be this way, because either they were not endemic here and/or had enhanced brain capabilities?

Could it be that certain African people new of these ancient people and through tradition, revere them through ritualistic ceremony to mimic them? Is there evidence of mimicry with other indiginous people throughout the world, in their art, statues, and architecture, as yet unexplained? Does this practise fit with indiginous people? (Think of the cargo cults, easter island, Nazca, and many other examples).

Do you see how easy it is to not be so dismissive about things automatically? Try it.

That is not looking at the possibilities, that is taken something well known and trying to make a fantasy story out it further ignoring the biological evidence. The skulls are known, all the biological evidence points to all Homo sapiens being from this planet and being of one species.

Just because it is a mystery to you, it doesn't mean it is a mystery.

Wow, that's a quote from well back in August.

No I have not.

The picture is captioned, stating it is a mock up of a bone they supposedly found. I suspect that it's the same bone used in a slightly earlier post on this thread by SlimJim.

GiantHumanLeg2.jpg

Hence, it's a mock up, or place holder in place of the actual artifact.

Which is apparently lost.

Now, as you made a demonstrably false claim about me and my statements, I'd appreciate a apology.

You are absolutly right, I did not see the mock up reading and put my foot in my mouth, I apoligize, if it would help I will even send you sme cake or pie, :)

That is not looking at the possibilities, that is taken something well known and trying to make a fantasy story out it further ignoring the biological evidence. The skulls are known, all the biological evidence points to all Homo sapiens being from this planet and being of one species.

Just because it is a mystery to you, it doesn't mean it is a mystery.

Good luck inculcating /that/ 'round here. That kind of thinking meshes put poorly with the stains of "I've got it all figured out."

--Jaylemurph

You are absolutly right, I did not see the mock up reading and put my foot in my mouth, I apoligize, if it would help I will even send you sme cake or pie, :)

Nope, apology accepted.

No worries, just look at something carefully before weighing your opinion.

Take it easy.

Edit:

By the way, quoting the pic with the lady from Africa will probably get me in trouble at work...

Edited by ShadowSot

Hey -

Giants have been mentioned in our past quite a few times. Whether or not these are legit or not, I'll leave that up to you. I can submit links later if folks want but this is what I was able to dig up quickly. I've excluded the normal stuff about "hey we found bones yay big and what not"..

1.) Religious Text:

"There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown." Genesis 6:4

Numbers 13:32-33 - From King James Bible

32And they brought up an evil report of the land which they had searched unto the children of Israel, saying, The land, through which we have gone to search it, is a land that eateth up the inhabitants thereof; and all the people that we saw in it are men of a great stature.

33And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.

There's a few more scribblings about it in the bibles and all that.

2.) Book of Giants from the Dead Sea Scrolls http://www.gnosis.org/library/dss/dss_book_of_giants.htm

3.) When Magellan visited Patagonia on his way to the Straits of Magellan, he picked up two Patagonian giants. (In the late 16th century engraving by de Bry, reproduced above, the figure on the right is a Patagonian giant munching on an arrow. Magellan is the captain.) The account of Antonio Pigafetta explains how it was done.

"Fifteen days later we saw four other giants. . . . The captain [Magellan] kept the two youngest to bring them to Spain on his return. But this by a cunning trick, for otherwise they would have troubled some of our men. The means by which he kept them was that he gave them many knives, scissors, mirrors, bells, and glass, all which things they held in their hands. And meanwhile the captain sent for large iron fetters, such as are put on the feet of malefactors. Whereat these giants took great pleasure in seeing these fetters, and did not know where they had to be put, and they were grieved that they could not take them in their hands, because they were prevented by the other things aforesaid. . . . [Magellan] made signs to the two whom he wished to keep that the fetters would be put on their feet, [and] then they would go away. Whereat they made a sign with their heads that they were content with this. Forthwith the captain had the fetters put on the feet of both of them. And when they saw the bolt across the fetters being struck with a hammer to rivet it and prevent them from being opened, these giants were afraid. But the captain made signs to them that they should suspect nothing. Nevertheless, perceiving the trick that had been played on them, they began to blow and foam at the mouth like bulls, loudly calling on Setebos (that is, the great devil) to help them."

Neither of the giants made it to Spain. One sickened and died before the Spanish cleared the Straits of Magellan while the other succumbed to malnutrition and scurvy along with many other members of the crew during the terrible crossing of the western Pacific Ocean. (make of that as you will, sounds fishy but worth putting in)

3.) On his historic round the world trip, Captain Magellan made an interesting reference in his ship's logbook. He mentioned a race of giants living on the Pacific coast of South America.

But even a stranger event happened in this area. Captain Cooke wrote of actually capturing one of the giants and tying it to his ship's mast. This human was reported to be over nine feet tall. The giant freed himself from the ropes, and was last seen when he dived overboard. (again take from it as you will)

4.) St. Christopher was described by Jacques de Voragine in "The Golden Legend": "He was of gigantic stature, had a terrifying mien, was twelve coudees tall.”, (a coudee is equal to or larger than the English foot).

5.) One of the most fascinating cases of giants in U. S. history are the Smithsonian Giants. During the genocidal conquest of the indigenous peoples of North America, the United States Calvary and hired mercenaries encountered giants living among the tribes, and engaged in direct combat with them. The mindset used to justify the wholesale slaughter of many, and forced relocation of the rest of these tribes, was that they were sub-human; their darker skin being a key to this gross misconception. The giants they encountered and killed were red-headed with white skin. Fearing a backlash from the American people for killing whites, giants or not, the government ordered that all bodies of these giants be retrieved and shipped to the Smithsonian Institute, to hide the damaging evidence. We have no idea if those bodies were ever disposed of, but there is sufficient evidence available from the Smithsonian officials and documentation of the time to believe this actually occurred.

6.) The legends of early North American tribes are rich with stories of giants, including the Sioux, who told about giants that ran down the buffalo, and the Algonquin stories of giant, bearded men that first occupied their native lands. Individuals, from Columbus to Wild Bill Cody, gave testimony to their existence in North America. Reports of giant skeletons up to 25 and more feet being discovered were reported in early history of the occupation of the United States.

7.) In China, archaeologists have found some of the earliest skeletal remains of giants, as much as fifteen feet tall. Melchior Nunnez, in his letters from India, vouches for the fact that some five hundred giants were used as archers to guard the gates of Peking. George Hakewill, in his Apologie, written in 1627, issued a similar report.

8.) A skeleton found in 1692 in a tomb near Angers, France, measured seventeen-feet, four-inches. And, in his "De Gigantibus", Joh Cassanio speaks of a giant in Bordeaux, France that stood so tall, a man of ordinary size could walk between his legs. He states that Francis I of France (1494-1547) enlisted him as one of his guards.

9.) Many mariners, such as Christopher Columbus, Ferdinand Magellan, Sir Francis Drake, Sir Thomas Cavendish, Oliver Noort, Sebald de Weert, William Cowley, George Spilbergen, and George Shelvock, reported encountering giants in the logs of their voyages.

10.) Giants of the Breitenwinner Cave - In 2003, we discovered an obscure document allegedly written by one Berthold Buchner in 1535, which spoke of giant bones found in Breitenwinner Cave in the Bavarian region of Germany. In the opening of that document, Buchner, speaking of the exploration of the cave, stated: "The marvels they saw there have been written down by Berthold Buchner. The ignorant will not believe this story, the experienced ones will not think it possible. But we have seen it with our own eyes, and it is the truth." Further, in the 1535 recounting of his experience, Buchner goes on by documenting the following: "When we crept in we found so many bones that the first of us had to pile them up in one place to make room for us to enter. The bones were very large as if from giants." And, "We came to a narrow vault where we found a skull bigger than we had ever seen before. "

"Giants appear in the legends of Australia, Bavaria, Belgium, Brazil, Chad, Czech Republic, Chile, China, Dominican Republic, England, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, India, Italy, Kazakhstan, Laos, Malta, Morocco, the Netherlands, Nova Scotia, Pakistan, Palestine, Patagonia, the Philippines, Poland, Rwanda, Russia, Scotland, Sicily, the Solomon Islands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Terra del Fuego, Turkey, the United Sates, Wales, Zanzibar, and the ancient Incan, Toltec, and Nordic cultures, just to name a few. "

Make of this information as you will. Were there Giants? Who knows, but if you believe in the bible, they're mentioned. If you believe in ship logs and the accuracy of public records, they're mentioned. If you believe in fossils and discoveries. Again, they're mentioned. Are they all lies and fables and tales? I have no idea and to be honest, it's one of those things that if proved to be true would turn a lot of theories about mankind upside down.

That's the way the game is played. You take what you don't know about and start out comparing it against what you do know about to see what that tells you. In this case we see that modern peoples produce remarkably similar results by simple artificial means. This tells us that alien DNA or advanced modern surgical techniques aren't necessary to create them. That in turn allows us to refine our approach in researching the matter.

Possibilities OTOH, tell us very little in themselves. It's possible they were bred by blue brain-eating bilbys from Betelgeuse to improve the stock. Does that mean we should round up all their Terran counterparts and question them extensively? Waterboard them perhaps? They're obviously hiding something. Conceited little buggers.

Now, you may take that as a reductio ad absurdum but it illustrates my point. Without an evidentiary baseline from which to draw a conclusion, all likelihoods are about as likely and you're just running around willy-nilly in every direction without any focus to your line of inquiry.

Why do various people practice various forms of hair styling, shaving, tattooing, piercing, scarification, circumcision and tooth filing? Apparently these aliens must've looked like punk rockers.

Here again, if you mimic, how do you know how to mimic? And if you already know how, why would you need something to mimic?

If this enhances brain capabilities, then why do we see it today almost exclusively in tribes still living in the stone age, and where then are examples of these alleged special abilities?

Most practices that could be seen as bodily mutilation have some underlying purpose. For example tatoos could be tribal, circumcision for health and as right of passage, scarring can be right of passage also in male australian aborigines.

The fact that head binding is permitted in this day and age is a wonder. Testiment to the fact is that its only seen in remote regions. I doubt any study has been done to test whether head binding increases intellect, though the practioners seem to think that it does;

"A person with a finely elongated head is thought to be more intelligent, of higher status and close to the world of the spirits" http://bodyart.australianmuseum.net.au/shaping/headbinding.htm

Headbinding is a common practise seen in diverse countries like france, egypt and south america. For it to be so widespread there must be something going on with it.

Jetro,

"If you believe in fossils and discoveries. Again, they're mentioned."

Are they just mentioned in despatches, or are they in a museum some place? Would love to see them.

Jetro,

"If you believe in fossils and discoveries. Again, they're mentioned."

Are they just mentioned in despatches, or are they in a museum some place? Would love to see them.

Hey Eldorado -

Will dig up what I can find tomorrow (later today) for you. I know I stumbled upon some pictures that haven't been linked in this thread but I'll dig em out for ya and their links. The folks here know which scientist/etc are nutjobs and which aren't so hopefully someone will shed some light once I post those links.

Jetro