Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are UFOs animals?

About 40 years ago, when I was a pre-teen, I read an interesting article in one of my father's True magazines. True was a magazine for men and would not print fiction. It only printed articles based on fact.

Anyway, the author of this article speculated that perhaps the glowing lights we think are extraterrestrial craft are actually animals. Yep, animals!

But it made me think.

He likened the glowing "craft" to deep-sea creatures that use bioluminescence to find mates, lure prey and establish territory.

As I recall, he speculated that perhaps some of the odd lights seen in the sky are literally "space cows," moving from solar system to solar system and grazing as they go.

Their propulsion system is something unknown to us. And please don't assume that such interstellar animals would have the same needs or habits of Earthbound animals. Who knows what kind of evolutionary or environmental factors are at work on other worlds?

Now, before you pooh-pooh such a thought you should ponder that for at least 60 years we have been conditioned to believe -- if we believe at all -- that these lights are craft made by beings.

I offer an alternative explanation.

Think about it. Why couldn't there be highly intelligent animals that roam space, taking in nutrients as they move from place to place. Like many of Earth's wild animals, they avoid contact with others not like them.

For example, how many of you have seen a cougar or bobcat in the wild? Not in the zoo, but in the wild?

Bobcat and cougar are plentiful in many areas of the U.S. but are not often seen. Why? They hear or see humans approaching and hide until the human passes by.

More than once, while hunting grouse in Idaho, I returned the same way I came and found cougar tracks in my bootprints. One followed me for some distance. Learning something like this will give you the willies!

So, allow me to throw another "what if" out there, for your consideration: some UFOs may be space animals!

I can't prove it. But you can't disprove it.

I just think it's an interesting idea.

Comments anyone?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkepticalEd

• Gatofeo

• Zeta Gundam

• Bunny Munro

About 40 years ago, when I was a pre-teen, I read an interesting article in one of my father's True magazines. True was a magazine for men and would not print fiction. It only printed articles based on fact.

Anyway, the author of this article speculated that perhaps the glowing lights we think are extraterrestrial craft are actually animals. Yep, animals!

But it made me think.

He likened the glowing "craft" to deep-sea creatures that use bioluminescence to find mates, lure prey and establish territory.

As I recall, he speculated that perhaps some of the odd lights seen in the sky are literally "space cows," moving from solar system to solar system and grazing as they go.

Their propulsion system is something unknown to us. And please don't assume that such interstellar animals would have the same needs or habits of Earthbound animals. Who knows what kind of evolutionary or environmental factors are at work on other worlds?

Now, before you pooh-pooh such a thought you should ponder that for at least 60 years we have been conditioned to believe -- if we believe at all -- that these lights are craft made by beings.

Think about it. Why couldn't there be highly intelligent animals that roam space, taking in nutrients as they move from place to place. Like many of Earth's wild animals, they avoid contact with others not like them.

For example, how many of you have seen a cougar or bobcat in the wild? Not in the zoo, but in the wild?

Bobcat and cougar are plentiful in many areas of the U.S. but are not often seen. Why? They hear or see humans approaching and hide until the human passes by.

More than once, while hunting grouse in Idaho, I returned the same way I came and found cougar tracks in my bootprints. One followed me for some distance. Learning something like this will give you the willies!

So, allow me to throw another "what if" out there, for your consideration: some UFOs may be space animals!

Comments anyone?

It would certainly answer the Fermi Paradox (why aliens are not present in an obvious manner). Because: all of the ships were eaten! :rofl:

We could put up signs similar to the days of the ancient mariners at the edge of the solar system: "Here be Dragons!"

Seriously though: hydrocarbons, water, and amino acids, essentially everything needed for life exists in abundance, not only in commits, but in the vast interstellar dust clouds of space. Further, many scientists suspect that commits or asteroids may have seeded the Earth with microscopic life. Many forms of bacteria are able to survive the harsh vacume, temperature, and radiation of deep space.

Could more complex life exist in the inky void? Who can tell? Something adapted to a weightless vacume would probably not adapt well to the Earth's atmosphere.

So are you saying men don't read fiction or women dont read nonfiction ?

Lol.

Space cows!

I have heard thta theory buy where would their bodies end up? If they were animals we would have remains on land.

I've always enjoyed speculating on this theory, even though several skeptics have shot it down time and again.

I have heard thta theory buy where would their bodies end up? If they were animals we would have remains on land.

There have been many reports of "star jelly" and "angel hair" falling from the sky for centuries. Perhaps that's the remains of those animals? Interestingly, this stuff has been collected several times, yet has a tendency to dissolve away completely.

Awesome. I have never thought of that before. Aliens being space animals instead. I agree. That would explain so many sightings yet so little contact with humans. And then there is cattle mutilation. Yet there's no human's found mutilated in the same way the cattle is mutilated.

They would burn up upon entering the atmosphere. OR, maybe they don't die!

I've always enjoyed speculating on this theory, even though several skeptics have shot it down time and again.

There have been many reports of "star jelly" and "angel hair" falling from the sky for centuries. Perhaps that's the remains of those animals? Interestingly, this stuff has been collected several times, yet has a tendency to dissolve away completely.

Do you have a link? i have never heard of either and would like some info to read about. =)

Most people report UFO sightings with craft moving faster or at similar speeds to jet crafts.

It would have to be one fast, flying, magical space cow.

If they were animals I don't think they could be so secretive about not being seen or coming out into the public.

Of course they're little animals, haven't you seen the film 'Batteries not Included'?

so how do they fly?

Through the magic of Disney.

But on a more serious note, I will accept it as a theory. I believe I even made a thread questioning whether UFOs were machines or not a while back. Its defineatly an interesting idea. :tu:

Edited by MR_MOE

Well, of course, it's just a theory. But I found it thought-provoking andthat's why I posted it.

How would they fly? Who knows? Perhaps there are natural forces that permit flight without wings. We can hardly apply the principles of our own flying animals to something not of this world.

Why don't we find the bodies? Perhaps they burn up in space, decompose in minutes or never die. Perhaps they are actually a colony, like jellyfish, and regenerate for thousands or millions of years.

There are just too many unknowns in this theory to simply pooh-pooh it because it doesn't meet our known confines of life.

Must all life be carbon-based, require air and water and ultimately die? Perhaps not.

Picture yourself as a European in 1491, speculating on another continent far away, and trying to describe what the animals and people of that foreign land are like. Never having seen them, or having any knowledge of them, how could you speculate?

No European had seen American bison before the early 1500s.

I am not so smug as to say I have the answers about extraterrestial "cows," if they even exist, but I tossed it out as a possibility.

All things are possible until the truth is known.

It would certainly answer the Fermi Paradox (why aliens are not present in an obvious manner).

Well as Dr. Jill Tarter has said, all we can say right now is that we can't see any "Great Big Shiny Ships" parked at the Lagrange Points. ( And we certainly don't know what UAP are yet!)

Fun idea to postulate :)

Farscape had a living ship and Star Trek TNG had an episode where they accidently killed a "space cow" and helped the youth with a C section from it's dead mother with a phaser. The episode was Galaxy's Child (link)

Edited by psyche101

Through the magic of Disney.

That nearly made me spit coke all over my monitor! :lol:

I'm not familiar with the True article but it sounds like something Ivan T. Sanderson might have written. In the book "Uninvited Visitors,'" published in 1969, he suggested that 'animal' UFOs could have inspired the designers of 'machine' UFOs, much as birds inspired us to invent flying machines.

Yeah, it sounds like something Ivan T. Sanderson would have written for True magazine.

He made numerous contributions to True, dealing with the UFO phenomenon.

I still have some of Dad's old True magazines, dating from the early 50s to the early 70s. About 100 magazines, all told. Most are in terrible shape and not collectible but the articles can still be read.

I don't know if UFOs are "space cows" but it's a fun theory to ponder, especially on a dark night when you're lying back looking at the stars.

I just hope one doesn't fly over and do what cows normally do in a pasture!

• 9 months later...
Yeah, it sounds like something Ivan T. Sanderson would have written for True magazine.

He made numerous contributions to True, dealing with the UFO phenomenon.

I still have some of Dad's old True magazines, dating from the early 50s to the early 70s. About 100 magazines, all told. Most are in terrible shape and not collectible but the articles can still be read.

I don't know if UFOs are "space cows" but it's a fun theory to ponder, especially on a dark night when you're lying back looking at the stars.

I just hope one doesn't fly over and do what cows normally do in a pasture!

It is certainly a possibility. Maybe some planets atmospheres are breeding grounds for them, like salmon returing to their birth place to spawn. Some come here, for to them our atmosphere is home...or maybe its our oceans? Could be either or both.

well UFO's bein animals reminds me the ultraterrestrial and the plasma life form teory.

I dont have time to post links right now, but when I come home for work I will try (if I remember).

no not animals, more like, Transformers? haha

But it made me think.

Comments anyone?

Trevor J. Constable is the source to look up for information and photos of UFOs as space animals. Also find the 1925 mountain climbers reference to similar creatures.

Trevor James Constable's 1957 Amoeboid Bioform 'Critter'

http://educate-yourself.org/tjc/amoeba3com...dy130ct05.shtml

Edited by SkepticalEd

*if not mentioned earlier*

ive heard people talk about ufos, angel hair, and almost say that ufo's (the orb looking ones) are like jellyfish in the sky

I'd say rods are some kind of living organisms. The one I saw just above my roof was about 2 feet long.