Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bible drawn into publication controversy

UM-Bot

user posted image rSubmitted by Pandora: More than 800 Hong Kong residents have called on authorities to reclassify the Bible as "indecent" due to its sexual and violent content, following an uproar over a sex column in a university student journal.

A spokesperson for Hong Kong's Television and Entertainment Licensing authority (TELA) said it had received 838 complaints about the Bible by noon Wednesday.The complaints follow the launch of an anonymous Web site -- www.truthbible.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Reuters

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pandora7321

• Since804

• Dakotabre

• Marvy

And the Christians in America wonder why the Chinese government discourages Christianity and missionaries! LOL :yes:

It's about time. A religion of "peace" with genoside - from their god primarily, murder, incest, vengence... it's a wonder why christians have any problem with Harry Potter tbh :wacko:

All shops who sell Bibles, Korans, Torahs ect should have a warning of all the violence, incest, genocide, murder, discrimination ect.

The Simpsons' Duffman: "What... Would... Jesus... Do? :lol: Although in all seriousness, I wonder what the Vatican officials will say about that? Hehehe.

LOL...for real?!?! who would have ever thought the Bible would be label as such...makes one wonder what this world is coming to...

Even though they have a point, people should be allowed to practice any religion they want. The way that they would classify the bible as "indecent" is nonsense. The fact that it's the bible is a warning sign itself, besides we don't want people putting warning stickers in the front of the bible. This is just gonna create problems it doesn't need. It's just as bad as Christians complaining about Harry Potter books.

Y'know - if the bible had an 18 certificate on it - that would be a surefire way of getting children to read it...

XDDD

I'm sorry. Its funny because its true!

Aside from that, its not like they're banning the bible, just wanting 18+ year old kids to read it.

The Vatican will be in stitches, they can't deny whats been written in it.

The Bible is a religious symbol. The Bible is a history book. The Bible is a book of folklore. The Bible is a self-help guide. The Bible is a book of prophecy. The Bible is a book of faith: The Bible is all these things and much more but remember....Bible simply is what it is.

The Bible gives a pretty accurate account of the human condition before the concept of Victorian sensibilities. I think that the Chinese authorities are correct in pointing this out, and making the adjustments that are applicable to their own laws and culture.

For all those posting who feel anger or contempt against the Bible itself...I would say that there may be certain people and/or groups deserving of your rancor...but the book itself hasn't done a damn thing to anyone. It is important NOT to confuse the books of the Bible with the PEOPLE who want to use the Bible to achieve their own selfish social ends, reassure their own insecurities, placate their obvious ignorance, or achieve some twisted credibility. (Contained within the scriptures of the Bible are strong warnings against such people.)

O-

This is interesting..... the website has been taken down, but it appears it has been taken down by the controlers of the ".com" domain.... e.g. "whois.com"..... in other words, an "arms length" part of the US government.

I've never seen anything like this before... the 'tags' on the domain are set to "owner forbidden to update" and - more bizzarely - "owner not allowed to transfer".

So it's not just the Cbinese Government who are upset about this website. The private company that is licensed by the US government to manage domain names in the US has 'taken them down'...big time....

And all this because 800 people (out of a population of almost 7 million) in Hong Kong complained ?

What on EARTH is going on here ? And should this topic be moved to the 'conspiracy' section ? 'Cos sure as eggs are eggs, this seems VERY unusual.

It's all FAR too complicated for the Working Cat to comprehend :unsure:

Meow Purr.

Maybe we should re-classify the common Dictionary too!!

It has all 'nasty' words and definitions/descriptions in text too!

-Note Sarcasm...

LOL , nonsense

Why? The bible is indecent for children. It's smut.

From the other thread:

Ezekiel 23: 14-20

14 "But she carried her prostitution still further. She saw men portrayed on a wall, figures of Chaldeans portrayed in red, 15 with belts around their waists and flowing turbans on their heads; all of them looked like Babylonian chariot officers, natives of Chaldea. 16 As soon as she saw them, she lusted after them and sent messengers to them in Chaldea. 17 Then the Babylonians came to her, to the bed of love, and in their lust they defiled her. After she had been defiled by them, she turned away from them in disgust. 18 When she carried on her prostitution openly and exposed her nakedness, I turned away from her in disgust, just as I had turned away from her sister. 19 Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. 20 There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.

The rape, genocide cheering and hatred preached in the bible shouldn't be allowed in the hands of innocent children. The bible just isn't moral. :no:

preclassify the Bible as "indecent" due to its sexual and violent content, following an uproar over a sex column ... given its sexual and violent content...

... speaking of sex... does china not have a population of over 1.3 billion... the world's largest population... :huh::hmm:

... i can only presume the chinese must be having a lot of... SEX... :yes: ... but have a problem with reading about sex... :hmm:

... speaking of sex... does china not have a population of over 1.3 billion... the world's largest population... :huh::hmm:

... i can only presume the chinese must be having a lot of... SEX... :yes: ... but have a problem with reading about sex... :hmm:

Thats a Brilliant comment!! :tu:

Whether it encourages the actions or not, the content is there and should be classified accordingly, just like anything else would.

Countless other sources don't depict rape or such in a positive manner, yet they still bear the classificational consequences, making an exception for the bible because of it's importance to certain groups would be less than justice.

When my Catholic neighbor read the Bible for the first time she commented on how violent it was. I told her it mellows out in the New Testament until they kill Jesus and Revelations, but I don't think her Catholic Bible has Revelations in it. I think most Chinese are Buddhist and I can see were it might upsetting to their sensibilities.

Why? The bible is indecent for children. It's smut.

From the other thread:

14 "But she carried her prostitution still further. She saw men portrayed on a wall, figures of Chaldeans portrayed in red, 15 with belts around their waists and flowing turbans on their heads; all of them looked like Babylonian chariot officers, natives of Chaldea. 16 As soon as she saw them, she lusted after them and sent messengers to them in Chaldea. 17 Then the Babylonians came to her, to the bed of love, and in their lust they defiled her. After she had been defiled by them, she turned away from them in disgust. 18 When she carried on her prostitution openly and exposed her nakedness, I turned away from her in disgust, just as I had turned away from her sister. 19 Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. 20 There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.

The rape, genocide cheering and hatred preached in the bible shouldn't be allowed in the hands of innocent children. The bible just isn't moral. :no:

Yeeee-ikes!! :o

"..Genitals were like those of donkeys...."

:unsure: can you imagine the pope say something like this in front of families. Seriously i cant believe this is the word of Jesus himself?!

hmm maybe is not what jesus said but rather his close companions own word? or is it because of mistranslation?

tsk im not a religious person, anyone care to explain this ?

"..Genitals were like those of donkeys...."

:unsure: can you imagine the pope say something like this in front of families. Seriously i cant believe this is the word of Jesus himself?!

hmm maybe is not what jesus said but rather his close companions own word? or is it because of mistranslation?

tsk im not a religious person, anyone care to explain this ?

There are a lot of quotes in the bible attributed to Jesus, when in reality they are actually accounts of what someone else was saying. I think the issue is not with who said what, but that there are these types of accounts in the bible at all.

Even though I posted this article, I don't actually feel the bible should be censored. But, I don't think any books should be censored. HOWEVER, if "the powers that be" are going to censor them, then why should the bible be exempt from the same restrictions other books are susceptible to?

There are a lot of quotes in the bible attributed to Jesus, when in reality they are actually accounts of what someone else was saying. I think the issue is not with who said what, but that there are these types of accounts in the bible at all.

so its like Jesus say -> X hear it and say -> Y hear it and say -> Z hear it and wrote it ... umm am i right?

so its like Jesus say -> X hear it and say -> Y hear it and say -> Z hear it and wrote it ... umm am i right?

More along the lines of, "Hey Liz, did you hear Suzan say that she heard that Mike said all gays should be shot?"

If that was written down, not thoroughly read and then taken out of context you could easily twist it and say, "Well, I read that Suzan said all gays should be shot."

Well, technically she did say those words but only because she was recounting what Mike said.

So, then you'd have all the homosexuals and gay rights activists coming down on poor Suzan and she was only recounting what someone else said. Much like the passage given as an example in this forum.

That's why I said, the issue is not WHO said what. The issue is that many lurid accounts are laid out in graphic detail in the bible. If it is to be treated as just another book, then it should not be exempt from a warning label, whether I agree with the labeling or not.

im really tired of people using religion as a scapegoat for their problems and the bad things that they do