Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Law and Order in the UK

ships-cat

driver taking a witness to court was fined £75 for throwing a cigarette butt out the window – only to see the defendant penalised £50 for punching someone in the face.

Jeannine Wycherley has been forced to pay the penalty notice while the thug got off with a softer punishment.

Mrs Wycherley, a health worker, was driving her daughter-in-law to court when she was spotted by a council 'litter buster'.

Two days later a penalty notice dropped through her letter box.

'The world has gone crackers,' Mrs Wycherley said yesterday. 'It's cheaper to attack someone and give them a fat lip than drop a cigarette end. There's just no justice.'

Norman Brennan, of Victims of Crime Trust, last night said he was not surprised at the lenient sentence.

'In the 28 years I have been involved with law and order I rarely ever see sentences that fit the crime, especially in violent crimes.

'It is this type of sentence that is helping spread a wave of violent crime across the country.'

The controversy comes just a day after news that Crawley Council, West Sussex, was forced to apologise when it tried to fine a toddler £80 for dropping two Quaver crisps on the pavement.

Original article can be found here .

It's good to see the powers that be getting the balance right. It's fine to violently attack someone, but make sure you do it TIDILY.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GoddessWhispers

• chemical-licker

• ships-cat

• libertyworld

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That is just wrong. :blink:

I'll second that. Unfortunately it's the same thing round here...punishments for violent crimes are relatively very lenient here. It's really sad reading the newspaper about some scumbag, who has been convicted of several rapes previously, do it all over again and perhaps kill the victims in the process. I remember a female friend of mine who almost got raped by some horrible person holding a knife, and the only thing the guy really got sentenced on was him slashing a police officer who had been summoned there. And the sentence wasn't even long. Another example; a dude stabbed my best friend in the back, in cold blood, and only received 4 years even though he had been doing time before for attempted manslaughter. Well, I suppose they're slowly realizing that it's not really working as well as it should at the moment...

There are liter by car laws in our State. If a cop sees someone toss a butt out the window, they can stop them and the fine is $150.00! Repeat offenses escalate the rate.

Can you imagine the potential in that!? Driving down the road, while cops here are promoted via the number of citations they write, decides they just feel like making money for the State so they pull a car and fine them for tossing a cigarette butt out the window. Given how many butt's are liable to be found in any 1/4 mile, after those lights come on, it's a matter of credibility! I.E. prove one of those butt's aren't yours!

One woman made the papers in another State. Seems an officer pulled her over on that allegation, and she didn't smoke! In fact, she was allergic. So she took him to court, and with 20 witnesses in the gallery, including her doctor, the case was dismissed after the Doc. was the first witness! Sadly, the officer retained his job.

What about the public address system I heard about being enacted in Great Britain some time ago!? If someone commits a public offense, like walking in a no-pedestrian zone, this loud speaker system berates the offender for everyone to hear?! Anyone from GB experienced the like!? Or remember an article to that effect in this forum, some time ago!?

George Orwell, 1984 fiction is fast becoming real! Not that the man had any foresight, living in GB in the 40's! Nooooo, in that time?! Not at all! ;)

There is of course, the issue of butts starting fires... which is pretty serious. However, there are deeper issues here...

..... What about the public address system I heard about being enacted in Great Britain some time ago!? If someone commits a public offense, like walking in a no-pedestrian zone, this loud speaker system berates the offender for everyone to hear?! Anyone from GB experienced the like!? Or remember an article to that effect in this forum, some time ago!?

George Orwell, 1984 fiction is fast becoming real! Not that the man had any foresight, living in GB in the 40's! Nooooo, in that time?! Not at all! ;)

No, this does not happen. As far as I am aware, no such system exists, or is proposed. It's some sort of 'urban myth' I would imagine. However, there IS a system that some shopping precincts are adopting ... a peizo-electric siren that emits a very high frequency noise that - typically - only teenagers can hear. It is used to try and disperse gangs of "hoodies" (feral kids) that congregate and cause a nuisance. It's called the Mosquito. more

There is of course, the issue of butts starting fires... which is pretty serious. However, there are deeper issues here...

Hmmm.... in a national park during a heatwave, fair enough. But in a City ? Dunno what they make Sidewalks out of in the USA Libertyworld, but ours are made of concrete and are fairly uninflammable. (though... outside pubs and take-away shops, you would be forgiven for assuming that our sidewalks are made out of wrapping papers, vomit, and comatose "hoodies". :P )

Meow Purr.

Okay, how about this one.

Lats year in Cambridge, Minnesota, retired farmer Kenneth Englund got out his shotgun and pointed it at a man who had come into his yard -- the man was stealing gasoline, and was trying to steal a radiator from a car.

After the cops showed up, they arrested the thief, but also Mr. Englund and he was charged with felony assault for wielding a shotgun at the a gasoline thief.

The potential sentence for Mr. Englund is greater than that of the thief he tried to stop from robbing his farm.

Last I heard, the thief himself actually testified for Englund, saying he should not be charged. The charges may be reduced to a misdeameanor, but Englund still faces legal action for pointing a shotgun.

Okay, how about this one.

Lats year in Cambridge, Minnesota, retired farmer Kenneth Englund got out his shotgun and pointed it at a man who had come into his yard -- the man was stealing gasoline, and was trying to steal a radiator from a car.

After the cops showed up, they arrested the thief, but also Mr. Englund and he was charged with felony assault for wielding a shotgun at the a gasoline thief.

The potential sentence for Mr. Englund is greater than that of the thief he tried to stop from robbing his farm.

Last I heard, the thief himself actually testified for Englund, saying he should not be charged. The charges may be reduced to a misdeameanor, but Englund still faces legal action for pointing a shotgun.

Yeah, I read aobut that, what a crock. I read about one guy who called the cops to tell them that someone was breaking into his shed (he could see them throught the upstairs window) and the police said they would see if anyone was available to go to his house. He called a second time and he was told that there was no one available. So, he called back a third time and told them that they had better come quick, he had shot the robbers. Three police cars were at his place within five minutes.

Edited by glorybebe

Something like that happened here not long ago. A man , after gaining no police response from a chronic trespasser, had called police each time and they had formerly told him there was nothing they could do if the trespasser didn't threaten him. Instead he would have to simply ask the man to leave and if he didn't they could come out. On the 4th straight day of this, the man called police and said he'd shot the person. 3 units arrived immediately and finding the trespasser alive and well, arrested the homeowner for making a false police report.

I figure it's all just a really sick twisted episode of Monty Python. And eventually, we'll wake up and realize it was all just a horrid nightmare. That criminals are slowly gaining more rights than the law abiding citizen. :blink:

Edited by GoddessWhispers

actually i think we need to throw our cig butts on the pavement get rid of these hoodies, QUICK, QUICK A HOODIE IS ON FIRE :sleepy::sleepy:

Edited by chemical-licker

linked-image

:w00t: