Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spy Drones Take to the Sky in the UK

Reincarnated

As I have said before, the UK is leading the world in surveillance and it just keeps on getting scarier. Not only are UKer's being photographed an estimated 300 times a day, now you have spy drones watching from above. But do you think the new Orwellian society is actually safer?

New police 'spy drone' takes to sky

Press Association

Monday May 21, 2007 12:38 PM

The UK's first police "spy drone" has taken to the skies.

The remote control helicopter, fitted with CCTV cameras, will be used by officers in Merseyside to track criminals and record anti-social behaviour.

The drone is only a metre wide, weighs less than a bag of sugar, and can record images from a height of 500m.

It was originally used for military reconnaissance but is now being trialled by a mainstream police force.

The spy plane was launched as a senior police officer warned the surveillance society in the UK is eroding civil liberties.

Ian Readhead, deputy chief constable of Hampshire Police, said Britain could face an Orwellian situation with cameras on every street corner.

However, senior officers in Merseyside, who are trialling the drone, said they did not believe it was the next phase in creating a Big Brother society.

Assistant chief constable Simon Byrne said: "People clamour for the feeling of safety which cameras give.

"Obviously there is a point of view that has been expressed but our feedback from the public is anything we can do to fight crime is a good thing.

"There are safeguards in place legally covering the use of CCTV and the higher the level of intrusion, the higher the level of authority needed within the police force to use it. So there is that balance there."

Source

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ashigaru

• recon_soldier

• GoddessWhispers

• Reincarnated

Oh dear Reincarnated ! It's not only the UK.. it's the whole world. What do you think all those satellites circling our skies are doing up there ? Big Brother has numerous siblings .. everywhere . It is a sad world.

Sama

Why are people so scared of CCTV? If your not breaking the law then who cares if a camera captures you going into Asda (oh my gosh, they know you don't shop at Morrison’s!) or walking down Gilmour street instead of Lacy Street (oh my gosh, they know you don't take short cuts!) or sees you going into a train station (oh my gosh, they know you were on a train).... who cares. Like the government actually gives to hoots what we're doing at 9.00 in the morning, so long as it isn't smashing windows.

I hope one day will live in a society were everyone's DNA is on a national database, were CCTV is on every street corner and hell even were everyone has a chip to tell satellites were you are - how many crimes would be solved quicker if we knew were kidnapped children are or who they are with, or if could instantly match that DNA found at the crime screen to someone rather than having to wait years until they are pulled over for speeding and given a Silva sample.

So long as they don't have cameras in peoples homes, there is nothing to fear by anyone save criminals.

Edited by Talon

Hmmm... I don't realy see this helicopter as an intrusion. It's just a 'cheaper' version of the standard police helicopters.

Meow Purr.

it just means the police can keep an eye on the local scumbags who when they see the police tend to throw abuse and bottles. with a helicopter the scum have to work that bit harder to throw a bottle at the helicopter, but as we all know they are far to lazy to even try!

I wonder if the police are allowed to have bags of colour water attached to the bottom of the helicopter, NOW THAT WOULD BE COOL! kinda points out to the ground crew who done it. <_<

As I have said before, the UK is leading the world in surveillance and it just keeps on getting scarier. Not only are UKer's being photographed an estimated 300 times a day, now you have spy drones watching from above. But do you think the new Orwellian society is actually safer?

:rolleyes: No privacy in public! Isn't government invasion of privacy anti-social behavior!? Reminds me of the Sumerian accounts of the Igigi. The watchers. That survailed the region from above, so that the Nephilim, or creator gods, could always be aware of what was going on with their creation.

One Nation under surveillance. World wide.

Do we feel free, yet!?

Observed! For our own protection.

Why are people so scared of CCTV? If your not breaking the law then who cares if a camera captures you going into Asda (oh my gosh, they know you don't shop at Morrison’s!) or walking down Gilmour street instead of Lacy Street (oh my gosh, they know you don't take short cuts!) or sees you going into a train station (oh my gosh, they know you were on a train).... who cares. Like the government actually gives to hoots what we're doing at 9.00 in the morning, so long as it isn't smashing windows.

I hope one day will live in a society were everyone's DNA is on a national database, were CCTV is on every street corner and hell even were everyone has a chip to tell satellites were you are - how many crimes would be solved quicker if we knew were kidnapped children are or who they are with, or if could instantly match that DNA found at the crime screen to someone rather than having to wait years until they are pulled over for speeding and given a Silva sample.

So long as they don't have cameras in peoples homes, there is nothing to fear by anyone save criminals.

I couldn't agree more. :tu:

i dunno, i guess in theory we shouldn't have anything to worry about, and hell i'm a supporter of expanded laws in the US and australia regarding terrorism which some people would say infringe on our civil liberties

but national databases for DNA, chips telling the government where you are at all times

the potential for abuse is staggering

Advocating or dismissing this project, with something like, if you have nothing to fear, it shouldn't matter, is absurd. If you're a free person you should be entitled to be free from government monitoring your every move.

And in the States, just last year, a news conference in Texas featured the police chief of, I believe Houston, saying he'd support any legislative measure providing surveillance in public housing and private properties.

Being a free country, means being free from government invasion of private space. People shouldn't have to agree to be observed, to prove they're law abiding citizens.

Advocating or dismissing this project, with something like, if you have nothing to fear, it shouldn't matter, is absurd. If you're a free person you should be entitled to be free from government monitoring your every move.

And in the States, just last year, a news conference in Texas featured the police chief of, I believe Houston, saying he'd support any legislative measure providing surveillance in public housing and private properties.

Being a free country, means being free from government invasion of private space. People shouldn't have to agree to be observed, to prove they're law abiding citizens.

Hear Hear! :yes::tsu:

I'm wondering if these spy drones will finally be a solution to the serious "yob" problem in the streets of Britain. Will they stop British girls from acting like yobs? That's the burning question for me.

Well said GoddessWhispers.

Totally Agree.

If they know we will accept total surveillance, then they will go one step further, then another..Until the point where you have a camera in your living room, a microphone in your phone connected to the local PD and a loudspeaker to tell you when to goto bed.

Edited by recon_soldier

The more criminal a population becomes today, the more that population will bring this apon themselves. Be they just common criminals or, especially, terrorists.

Yeah, I believe its in the Constitution.

Amendment 4 - Search and Seizure. Ratified 12/15/1791.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Dont you worry, its coming to a County near you!

And a few other countries.

Edited by recon_soldier

If you are in an area with a high crime rate, won't the presence of a Policeman makes you feel secure and deter the criminals?

What is the difference here?