Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Borley Rectory!

Kar-zid

Has anyone on here been to Borley Rectory?

If so, or not, can youse post ya ghost pics from here?

P.S. I've already seen the girl in the burning building before.

And here she is

post-53128-1179991611_thumb.jpg

post-53128-1179991660_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kar-zid

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Regency

• Loonboy

• Kar-zid

• primordial

Those photos weren't from Borley Rectory Kar-zid, but from Wem.

Here's a link to Time Magazine and an article on Borley Rectory. There is a photo of a brick being tossed at Borley, I'm sure I read somewhere that this photo could so easily have been faked and that Harry Price was guilty of doing this from time to time, in fact, his investigation of Borley probably did him more harm than good. I've read that he was found to have a pocket full of stones which he would throw around during his investigations, how can you trust someone who investigating a place, if they do this?

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...93376-2,00.html

Those photos weren't from Borley Rectory Kar-zid, but from Wem.

Here's a link to Time Magazine and an article on Borley Rectory. There is a photo of a brick being tossed at Borley, I'm sure I read somewhere that this photo could so easily have been faked and that Harry Price was guilty of doing this from time to time, in fact, his investigation of Borley probably did him more harm than good. I've read that he was found to have a pocket full of stones which he would throw around during his investigations, how can you trust someone who investigating a place, if they do this?

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...93376-2,00.html

Dang!

After all the stories... I read in more than 1 article and forum and book that that picture was taken when Borley Rectory was burning down!!! :o

"This picture was taken by Tony O'Rahilly in 1995, as Wem Town Hall, Shropshire,

England, burned down. The girl in the doorway was not seen at the time the photo

was taken. When examined by photographic expert Dr. Vernon Harrison, former

president of the Royal Photographic Society the photo was deemed genuine, in that

it was not tampered with. In 1977 there was another fire in this place, started

accidentally by a young girl by the name of Jane Churm. Is this her ghost?"

Sorry, it was in Wem... this is from a famous ghost photos website, ask if ya want the link.

As you're probably now aware, Borley Rectory does not stand any more. It's just a site now.

:hmm:

Yeah, that's right Loonboy. I remember watching a programme years ago (I think it was the one with Michael Aspel) and they had left a tape recorder taping all night inside the church at Borley which still stands, and about 4am, there was the most terrifying, lingering moan recorded - it was really scary and sounded nothing like an owl or a fox, it was a human sound - I've never see or heard about that since though.

That would have been 'Strange But True' and although I remember that episode and the audio tape, I only remember it recording tapping sounds - as if stones/pebbles were being dropped onto the church floor. I don't remember the moan... hmmm...

(cleans out ears with q-tip) :wacko:

Sorry to now go off on a tangent, but it was a great show. And British TV needs something like that again - a show that investigates & presents various paranormal cases.

I totally agree, ITV just had Haunted Homes, but it was disappointing I felt (though I still watched it). I like the old, famous ghost stories to be investigated and Strange but True had good eye witness testimony which I liked - it was a wicked show. I think ITV2 should rerun it. :yes:

I remember the moan at the Borley Church clearly, it was horrible - maybe it was a different show I saw it on?

Here's a photo I found that is alleged to be of a ghost in the grounds where Borley Rectory used to be.

post-52129-1180096133_thumb.jpg

I think I've seen that photo (the larger one) somewhere on the image gallery on the main page, and I think the figure is out of scale for the rest of the landscape, if it is a ghost...

Hmmm.

:blink:

Ah, here we are - found it.

What do you think?

post-80-1180108777_thumb.jpg

Edited by Loonboy

Nice one Loonboy. They are the same photograph, the figures are in the same alignment I would say (with my untrained eye, or even two untrained eyes). But in my shot it looks more human shaped.

Also, is it just me but the perspective I take is that it looks really small as well, compared to the height of the headstones?

I think I've seen that photo (the larger one) somewhere on the image gallery on the main page, and I think the figure is out of scale for the rest of the landscape, if it is a ghost...

Hmmm.

:blink:

Ah, here we are - found it.

What do you think?

I've already seen them photos, but thanks anyway, I was only wondering cause I was interested in Borley Rectory, but those seem to be the only photos, thanks anyway <_<

"This picture was taken by Tony O'Rahilly in 1995, as Wem Town Hall, Shropshire,

England, burned down. The girl in the doorway was not seen at the time the photo

was taken. When examined by photographic expert Dr. Vernon Harrison, former

president of the Royal Photographic Society the photo was deemed genuine, in that

it was not tampered with. In 1977 there was another fire in this place, started

accidentally by a young girl by the name of Jane Churm. Is this her ghost?"

Sorry, it was in Wem... this is from a famous ghost photos website, ask if ya want the link.

Yea, that image is unnerving but also an allusion of peace. It would be nice to take pictures like that of family.

http://www.harryprice.co.uk/Borley/ModernB...photographs.htm

the whole borley rectory story is just a huge lie. I recently found a book that had a very detailed report into borly rectory and the people who investigsited it and it proved that harry price had faked the whole thing. If people need evidence I can get it. but it is to much to type up.

I don't know too many specifics about the Borley haunting, but my understanding of it was that there was phenomena witnessed by many different people at different eras of the building's history, but that it was the Marianne years that were the suspect ones.

That is, there was a haunting, but at one point the residnets hyped it up a bit for attention.

:geek:

I've read many times that Harry Price got caught with his hands in the cookie jar on a number of occasions at Borley - this being said, I really believe it was a genuine haunting, it went on for a long time before Price's involvement. I've also found this, which gives this story a new twist - if his work was attacked after his death, who knows what really went on, he couldn't defend these claims if he was dead and mud sticks:

There is no question that Harry Price was one of the most influential figures in the formative years of ghost research. He was a highly charismatic personality whose energy and enthusiasm for the paranormal made him the first celebrity ghost hunter. Price was instrumental in bringing ghost research to the general public, realizing that only by making the research entertaining could he attract the attention of the masses. Because of this, after his death in 1948, jealous “colleagues” would attack not only Price’s research, but the man himself, staining his reputation for years to come.

Price was regarded as an embarrassment during his time and lingering effects from this still linger today. Despite more recent work supporting his claims and methods, many British researchers still regard Price as something of an enigma. Because of his flamboyant manner and continuous self-promotion, Price made a number of enemies within the psychic research field, especially within the Society of Psychical Research (SPR). Much of the resentment revolved around that fact that Price had no real scientific training (as most SPR investigators had) and that he was so skillful at what he did. Price was a skilled magician and an expert at detecting fraud so he was not taken in by many of the fraudulent which plagued the SPR for years. His success was a slap in the face to what many considered the “established” psychical researchers. Regardless, his work is considered ground-breaking for many today.

Very interesting, I always thought Borley wasn't as great a story as I'd originally thought because of the accusations about Price, but were these accusations fair?

• 2 months later...

Name marie_anne266. date: 7th august 2007.

\Hi you don't know me but I am a great lover of borley rectory, No I haven't been there but I am hoping to with someone Hopefully. there is one thing however, because the rectory is not there it does not mean that the phenomena isn't, the ghost of Mary or marie lairre the borley nun, the scientist said that the bones that they had found gives no proof that they belonged to the nun so that could be a chance that on the 28th february of every year the marie Or mary lairre still walks the famous path.

also if you have read the books by Harry price that some certain gentleman visited the rectory but took a detour towards the farm owning to his distress was tripped over and held in the mud by some unknown force. and the lady artist in HBR was disturbed by some unknown insect with big black eyes and was accompanied by a wasps so really there are some activity there Oh and the ghostly coach with bay horses and headless coachmen yeah.

believe me I know even though the rectory is gone the ghost aren't marie_anne266

As you're probably now aware, Borley Rectory does not stand any more. It's just a site now.

:hmm:

Hi Maureen, welcome to UM.

It is a fascinating subject. It wouldn't surprise me if the area was still haunted.

My own belief on this is that Price did exaggerate what was going on and that this tainted the real investigation. It's hard to trust someone when they've been caught with their fingers in the cookie jar so to speak - it's a shame.

Reg

• 5 years later...

Hello everybody.I live near Borley,and have had some extraordinary and,frankly terrifying experiences,especially near the Church! There is something profoundly beautiful but disturbing about this entire nexus and,please believe me,it is NOT to be taken lightly,Regards and respect please Bib.