Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

£50 Billion - the cost of the EU to the UK

ships-cat

A think-tank has done an analysis of the financial impact of the EU on the United Kingdom. They reckon it costs us slightly over £50 Billion pounds every year, the equivelant to £873 for every man, woman and child, or the equivelant of about 7% of the wage package of every working adult.

Full story here (Daily Telegraph)

UK governments have consistently refused to publish cost/benefit studies of membership of the EU since we joined the EEC in 1973.

In the words of the Kaiser Chiefs.. "I predict a riot".

Meow Euro-Purr.

Edited by ships-cat

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ships-cat

• GreyWeather

• IronGhost

• Adam2006

Top Posters In This Topic

In the words of the Kaiser Chiefs.. "I predict a riot".

Meow Euro-Purr.

Yes its absolutely disgraceful, our politicians have Sucked more blood than a backstreet dentist...

As far I am concerned, i dont recognise my country anymore, and i feel like It don't matter to me,

'Cos all I wanted to be

Is a million miles from here

Somewhere more familiar

Oh my god, I can't believe it

I've never been this far away from home

Ahem "cough", erm, if you get my drift.....

Edited by lord scrummage

hey puddy cat link doesn't work :no:

We all said the congestion charge would cause a riot, WE ARE TO CONDITIONED NOW TO ACCEPT OUR LEADERS DECISIONS, WE ARE TO MATERIAL NOW.

the system just gets bigger and bigger.

hey puddy cat link doesn't work :no:

We all said the congestion charge would cause a riot, WE ARE TO CONDITIONED NOW TO ACCEPT OUR LEADERS DECISIONS, WE ARE TO MATERIAL NOW.

the system just gets bigger and bigger.

Ooops - well spotted Chemical' - link now fixed.

Yes - I take your point, but it would sound the same if I had written... "As the Kaiser Chiefs said, ' I predict a load of grumbling but general acquesence and no action'" , would it ?

Meow Purr.

I think you Britons are just being greedy! You should pay more taxes! :P

I think you Britons are just being greedy! You should pay more taxes! :P

:no:

Are there any benefits that you are getting in return for this expense? I mean, could it be said that the advantages to the U.K. economy outweight the cost of the EU membership?

Also, are you guys ever going to adopt the Euro?

Are there any benefits that you are getting in return for this expense? I mean, could it be said that the advantages to the U.K. economy outweight the cost of the EU membership?

Also, are you guys ever going to adopt the Euro?

I hope not, the euro would severly weaken our economy (or so ive heard)

And yes we do get stuff, stupid and pointless rules that no-one understands or sees the point of. Oh and they try and take away everything that's british. They tried to ban/alter sliced bread and pints and pints of milk. tbh you just have to laugh

Hm, but... how much money do British exports to the EU bring in?

Edit

1998: Breakdown of Recorded UK Exports

£ billion Goods Services Income Total %

To EU '14' 96 21 45 162 48

To non-EU 68 39 66 173 52

To World 164 60 111 335 100

Source

o_0 not much... compared to the cost.

Sorry about the crappy line up... it keeps resetting to what you see, so I colour coded to make it a bit easier to read.

Edit 2

I agree with you Adam, it's like when Churchill changed us to the Gold Standard. Needless to say it messed up our whole import and exports and as a result harmed businesses and the public a-like. The Euro would be worse - besides, who wants European measuring systems? they're stupid. Well... Compared to ours~ :P

Edited by Leliel

Hm, but... how much money do British exports to the EU bring in?

Edit

1998: Breakdown of Recorded UK Exports

£ billion Goods Services Income Total %

To EU '14' 96 21 45 162 48

To non-EU 68 39 66 173 52

To World 164 60 111 335 100

Source

o_0 not much... compared to the cost.

Sorry about the crappy line up... it keeps resetting to what you see, so I colour coded to make it a bit easier to read.

Edit 2

I agree with you Adam, it's like when Churchill changed us to the Gold Standard. Needless to say it messed up our whole import and exports and as a result harmed businesses and the public a-like. The Euro would be worse - besides, who wants European measuring systems? they're stupid. Well... Compared to ours~ :P

Interesting figures - but the point is, we don't necessarily have to BELONG to the EU in order to trade with them. Just ask China, India, the USA... or indeed, Norway and Switzerland.

For that matter, NOBODY has to 'belong' to the EU in order to trade with each other. The original purpose of the EU (then called the European Economic Community) was to facilititate trade between European countries by trying to create a 'level playing field' and discouraging unfair practicies and trade restrictions.

It has since ballooned and involved itself in such things as Judicial processes, social programs, national economics, and is currently trying to become a fully-fledged European Government. (with it's own army and foreign policy ministers).

We never voted for this in the UK. Against this background, to discover that it is costing us £50 Billion (around $100 million) is galling to say the least. Especialy when our government tries to suppress this information.

Meow Purr.