Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jenny Dixon

Yengo68

Does anyone have any info of Jenny Dixon in Australia.

Apparently, at a holiday suburb called The Entrance, an 1 hr drive north of Sydney Australia there is a story of a ghost of a young lady called Jenny Dixon.

In the 60s or 70s she was murdered while hitchhiking along the road north of The Entrance. Reports say that truck drivers refuse to travel on the road at night, as there have been reports of a girl hitchhiking and then disappearing. The story has it is that the girl's killer was never caught..

Not much on the 'net about it. She has had a park named after her, and the road even though it's called something else, is known as Jenny Dixon drive...

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ann66

• Jackyboy

• DUSTOFF59

• Elite

Apparently, at a holiday suburb called The Entrance, an 1 hr drive north of Sydney Australia there is a story of a ghost of a young lady called Jenny Dixon.

In the 60s or 70s she was murdered while hitchhiking along the road north of The Entrance. Reports say that truck drivers refuse to travel on the road at night, as there have been reports of a girl hitchhiking and then disappearing. The story has it is that the girl's killer was never caught..

Not much on the 'net about it. She has had a park named after her, and the road even though it's called something else, is known as Jenny Dixon drive...

Hi there, first time poster.

I was searching around for some info on Jenny Dixon - having heard a few stories myself - but haven't come up with all that much. One poster on these forums apparently did a research assignment on her, but the police said that although no-one was raped and murdered on the Entrance Road, someone was hit & run there about 30 years ago (I still have to chase this up).

I did manage to find a site which says that the beach was actually named after a ship called the 'Janet Dixon' which was a coal schooner that sank in the area in 1871. (www.jenwilletts.com/norah_head.htm)

Besides this, I've heard that she was killed between midnight and 1am on a Wednesday night, and so this is when her spirit appears. Living near the area myself, me and my friend have driven up and back down that road in the appointed hours looking for her, but to no avail.

If a girl really did die along that stretch of road, I'm guessing that the urban legend accumulated a local landmark (aptly named after a female) as part of the story to give it some credence or physical proof of some kind. And although it looks like 'Jenny Dixon' is probably not our phantom's name, this doesn't necessarily mean that the stories are untrue, but rather that they've been elaborated upon.

Anyway, I'll post again if I find anything further of interest.

Anyone with further information, please post here as well!

D.

• 8 months later...

Hi just letting you know i did look at one website that had some thing on her there were for guys that did it to her and the were sent to jail but later aquitted of the murder due to lack of evidence of what i heard there is information on her at the entrance police station i dont know if it is an article or what not yes there is a park and beach named after her that all i know

Well, it seems even Australia has their hitchhiker ghosts. Personally, I'm skeptic. But only because nearly every state has their own hitchhiker ghost in the United States. Arkansas is one of them. It is said that it is the ghost of a young woman who died along that road on prom night. The driver will stop and pick her up, she will give directions to her house, and then upon arriving at their destination, she will promptly disappear. Her parents then inform visitors that she is dead. It is said sometimes she leaves a corsage in the passenger seat of the vehicle she was in.

There's like four different hitchhiking ghosts in the city I lived in. . or the city and its suburbs. . . A couple were about girls that died in hit and runs, one (which is an old school one) is based on a servant girl in the 1800's that got murdered, and then there's another one that is supposed to be a girl that was murdered while attempting to get a ride.

They're all over everywhere.. . . some of the stories are based on actual incidents, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the ghosts are real. . .Then, some of the stories are just obvious fakes based on nothing at all.

I've also heard about an interesting place in Hawaii. . .I forget the name of the road, but there is a (I think its supposed to be a Goddess or something) spirit that walks the road and sometimes people pick her up only to see her disappear. . .and something about having pork in your car will anger her and she'll make your car stop working and/or appear in your rear view mirror. Its been a long time since I heard that story, so I'm not sure of any of the details. . .

We have this story here in Jersey on the "road's less traveled" about the Lady in White...At times the story goes that she got killed on this road on her wedding night while still in her gown and is looking for her husband...Another is of a younger girl, again dressed in white, who was killed while going to her prom...Hitch-hiking looking for a ride to the dance....People will swear they see these figures on the side of the road, pass them, look in their rear-view mirror and they are gone......I love urban legends, because the stories get added on to.... :)

• 3 weeks later...

My last names dixon if that means im a realitive then bugger me m i realated to a dead aussie girl

im pretty sure this is just another urban legend that isnt true

mainly because it seems every road in the world at the moment has a vanishing hitchhiker of some sort

mainly because it seems every road in the world at the moment has a vanishing hitchhiker of some sort

Just to let you know, a lot of people hitchhike, Heck I might even go hitchhiking in the future. Anyways people go hitchhiking, get picked up by murderers, rapists, weirdos and get murdered. Aussie isn't the only city, state, country where people go hitchhiking and get killed for it.

This legend has been around for ages, one can trace its beginnings back to ancient egpyt. It seems to be so widespread because it embodies our natural fear of rejection, the dead, and ultimately being alone.

• 2 months later...

Hi! I found this while I was browsing and I felt the need to reply. I'm an aussie who actually lives not even two minutes from 'The Entrance Road' (which is actually now called Central Coast Highway) and the story is crap. It's just a legend. I've driven that road thousands of times at all hours and have never seen a thing, nor do I know anyone that has.

The reserve/beach IS named after the ship 'Janet Dixon' which sank in the 1800's. :)

Soo true, and why would they even be afraid? if all she does is disappear, i'd give her a ride for gas money/

• 1 year later...

this not an urban legend it is most definately true i live on the central coast and have quiet a few family members and friends who have seen her and have been really shaken up about it...

she was early 20's i think? not sure picked up raped and murdered by some guys who were charged and then aquited due to lack of evidence and since then they have all died apparently but yer she still hitchhikes up and down Jenny Dixon Drive looking for her killers and seeking revenge

her grave is in the cemetry but her headstone was removed because of the vandalism and apprently if you disturb her grave she will "disturb" you...

but yer truck drivers refuse to travel the road at night because she randomly appears and disappears in your car and on the road

i can not blame her though if i was killed like that i'd haunt whoever did it and haunt others on the way

in my street 3 chiks all blonde and 20 have commited suicide on the railway crossing and they now lurk around the station at night... kinda freaking creepy when you get off the train after TAFE to walk home and you see this girl just standing on the double crossing

Well, it seems even Australia has their hitchhiker ghosts. Personally, I'm skeptic. But only because nearly every state has their own hitchhiker ghost in the United States. Arkansas is one of them. It is said that it is the ghost of a young woman who died along that road on prom night. The driver will stop and pick her up, she will give directions to her house, and then upon arriving at their destination, she will promptly disappear. Her parents then inform visitors that she is dead. It is said sometimes she leaves a corsage in the passenger seat of the vehicle she was in.

Where in arkansas is this?

Where in arkansas is this?

I have always been a skeptic of stories i have heard. Until this one. OH i still am i suppose because I am a firm believer in the power of suggestion. But there are a few things bothering me about this. I had never heard the story. This is true.

I was travelling along that road late at night and saw a woman with mattered long sandy blonde hair, in a white flowing dress that was all muddy at bottom and no shoes. She was about 150-165cm in height and would have weighed 45-50kg. I drove passed her at first, then clicked "what is a woman doing walking this street alone so late?" "She must need help?" I was a bit hesitant but I braked and looked in rear view mirror and saw nothing. So I turned around to see if she was still standing there, perhaps in my blind spot. No she had disappeared. I wound down the windows to listen for any sounds, nothing just the night. . I stayed in the middle of the road for a few minutes searching for any movement in the bushes, anything at all, there was none. She had disappeared. I continued my journey but very slowing and continually looking back to see if I would see her again. 15 minutes along the road, I turned around and drove passed the area again searching for any sign of her or anyone else. There was nothing. I was very shaken by this. I listened to the radio all day and searched newspapers in case someone was missing, or something? Then I mentioned it to a friend and they laughed and said it was a ghost. Rubbish I said. Then I meet others and had actually spoken to a police officer who informed me that nothing had happenend to anyone recently and that apparently it was a ghost.

10 years later I am still shaken by it and still hear accounts of others having seen it and you know I never know whether they have just heard the story or have actually witnessed it? LOL I saw her with my own eyes and still don't want to believe its true. I am looking for any information after coming across a newspaper article recently. There are so many different theories about who she is and why she walks this street. But she does.

<!--quoteo(post=1698156:date=May 29 2007, 09:17 AM:name=Yengo68)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Yengo68 @ May 29 2007, 09:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1698156"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does anyone have any info of Jenny Dixon in Australia.

Not much on the 'net about it. She has had a park named after her, and the road even though it's called something else, is known as Jenny Dixon drive...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hi there, first time poster.

I was searching around for some info on Jenny Dixon - having heard a few stories myself - but haven't come up with all that much. One poster on these forums apparently did a research assignment on her, but the police said that although no-one was raped and murdered on the Entrance Road, someone was hit & run there about 30 years ago (I still have to chase this up).

I did manage to find a site which says that the beach was actually named after a ship called the 'Janet Dixon' which was a coal schooner that sank in the area in 1871. (www.jenwilletts.com/norah_head.htm)

Besides this, I've heard that she was killed between midnight and 1am on a Wednesday night, and so this is when her spirit appears. Living near the area myself, me and my friend have driven up and back down that road in the appointed hours looking for her, but to no avail.

If a girl really did die along that stretch of road, I'm guessing that the urban legend accumulated a local landmark (aptly named after a female) as part of the story to give it some credence or physical proof of some kind. And although it looks like 'Jenny Dixon' is probably not our phantom's name, this doesn't necessarily mean that the stories are untrue, but rather that they've been elaborated upon.

Anyway, I'll post again if I find anything further of interest.

Anyone with further information, please post here as well!

D.

When I saw her she didn't appear to be hitch hiking at all. Just walking along the road.

I believe the hitch hiking part maybe an assumption. But then that doesn't explain why she has appeared in the back of people's car and then disappears. I have spoken to only one person who claims this happened them ( a male). All other people that have told me of seeing her have seen her walking along the road (all believe she was hitch hiking?).

I love to walk along the beach on a moonlit night. Perhaps that was her intention? perhaps she lived close by? Anyone know anything at all please reply.

I would also like to find more info on this especially after reading a recent article in the Central Coast Express Advocate dated, 30/09/09. page 3.

umm its in nora head,

yea its real. I havent seen it but one of my bestfrinds dad has seen it

he was driving along coming back from work and he picked up a young girl.

he looked around and she was there when he looked again about 5 minutes she was gone. and he jumper cardigan thing was still there and he still has it in his draw at home,

now i have seen that and it says "jenny dixon" on it.

And i have only heared this one but if you are at the place she was murdered on the date and time. aparently you can hear her scream. apparently.

Edited by Jackyboy

When I saw her she didn't appear to be hitch hiking at all. Just walking along the road.

I believe the hitch hiking part maybe an assumption. But then that doesn't explain why she has appeared in the back of people's car and then disappears. I have spoken to only one person who claims this happened them ( a male). All other people that have told me of seeing her have seen her walking along the road (all believe she was hitch hiking?).

I love to walk along the beach on a moonlit night. Perhaps that was her intention? perhaps she lived close by? Anyone know anything at all please reply.

I would also like to find more info on this especially after reading a recent article in the Central Coast Express Advocate dated, 30/09/09. page 3.

OMG I READ THAT ARTICLE TO. and a ghost in a pub? on the same page

• 4 weeks later...

yeh i live 15 walking distance from the road nearly all my friends have astrory to tell about her

some guy made movie of it

apparently she was seen once or twice with another figure near her

maybe lies but it's creepy as hell :unsure2:

even my mum has seen her

• 3 weeks later...

yeh i live 15 walking distance from the road nearly all my friends have astrory to tell about her

some guy made movie of it

apparently she was seen once or twice with another figure near her

maybe lies but it's creepy as hell :unsure2:

even my mum has seen her

Hi,

Just saw you mentioned that a movie was being made so I did some searches and found some info.

The movie is called Jenny Dixon Beach and it is to be released next year.

http://www.abyssentertainmentaustralia.com/

They have set themselves up on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/JENNY-DIXON-BEACH-cast-and-crew-page/79960509189#/pages/JENNY-DIXON-BEACH-cast-and-crew-page/79960509189?v=info

The guy that did the original research has some blogs on Jenny Dixon and also heaps of different articles on The Supernatural, Ghosts etc - scary stuff:

I found the links for him on abyssentertainmentaustralia.com

http://markjameshalliday.blogspot.com/

http://hubpages.com/profile/MarkHall

Don't read the stories just before going to bed!!!

In the 60s or 70s she was murdered while Capitalism: A Love Story Descriptioning along the road north of The Entrance. Reports say that truck drivers refuse to travel on the road at night, as there have been reports of a girl hitchhiking and then disappearing. The story has it is that the girl's killer was never caught..

The disappearing hitchhiker is a common urban legend in the U.S. It is interesting to see it has been told in other parts of the world.

Heres the real story. Its a story made up to stop young people hitch hiking which untill a few years ago was widely done as public transport in the area is pretty darn poor. I, and most of my family have lived in the area for generations and I know for a fact the beach is named after a ship that sunk on the reef a couple of hundred metres offshore. Its always " my friend seen her" or "my friends friend". The movie is loosely based on this urban myth. I spent neally every weekend, camping on Jenny Dixson beach and although the stairs are spooky at night, I never seen a thing. Mind you Lighthouse beach is another story. Basically my point is this is an Urban Legend and nothing more. Its the same two stories of people who has supposedly seen this ghost

a) They pass her in their car then stop to assist her and shes gone and

B) They picked her up but when they turn to talk shes gone

And its always, "my friends Uncle/brother/Dad/guy next door. Hasnt anyone ever heard of telling "tall tales" for entertainment, it used to be quite popular before TV lol.By the way JD's is in Noraville not The Entrance

• 2 weeks later...

I am 48 and a local at The Entrance and have known about the Jenny Dixon ghost (although we didn't really refer to her back then as the Jenny Dixon ghost - it was just the girl ghost!) since i was about 13 or 14. We didn't hitchhike so much in those days, we did, but it wasn't a commonplace thing and i don't think our parents knew when we did plus there weren't as many "nutters" around back then so were relatively safe - so i really don't think it was made up to stop us from hitchhiking! The sightings, which i have never personally seen, but i am female and the "story" goes that she was hitchhiking on Wilfred Barrett Drive which is a long stretch of road of national park between North Entrance (now The Entrance North and now has a resort and houses half way along it but back then was only bushland and a Council rubbish tip) and Norah Head when she was killed by a group of guys - now she only gets into cars with males only - nobody has mentioned the cigarette which i find kind of weird - "apparently" the ghost will only get into a car with a male and asks for a cigarette and when she realises it isn't the killer, she leaves and the cigarette burning on the seat - that may have been one of those add-on facts, i don't know, but it is an OLD add-on fact, at least 35 years, so maybe people are deleting parts of the story now???? Apparently it all happened in the 50s. I just asked my 52 year old husband his recollections of the story and he knows nothing about it??? What the??? We did grow up in the 70s - he obviously was naughtier than me coz he had NO idea what i was talking about!! I don't know of a local that doesn't have knowledge of this?? Until now! Will try and find out more from some "OLDER" locals and see what their versions are - i just assumed mine was the right one!

• 4 months later...

i live 30 seconds away from wilfred barrett drive and i can tell you this is entirely true, ive never known someone whose had her appear in their car but theres definitely alot of us who have seen her walking the road. going looking for her tonight ;)