Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman 'hasn't slept for eight years'

Lionel

user posted imageDoctors in Romania say they are baffled after examining a woman who claims she has not slept a wink for eight years.Maria Stelica, 54, started going to see doctors at her home in Budeasa after developing insomnia when her mother died eight years ago.

She said: "At first I couldn't sleep even though I tried because I was frightened I would dream about my mother, but after a while I did not need it anymore, and not even sleeping pills can put me to sleep now."

Doctors, who have run clinical tests, confirmed her story appeared genuine but could offer no medical explanation for her condition.

One told newspaper Curierul National: "We cannot understand why she cannot sleep. We cannot explain this phenomenon."

user posted image View: Full Article | Source: Ananova.com

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lionel

• babyforrest

• Benjo Koolzooie

• The Krow

Top Posters In This Topic

well ... thats an odd one . I have insomnia quite often as well but the longest I have never slept is about 4 days . 8 years is crazy . wacko.gif

I didn't read the full article, how is the poor woman? I've calculated that she's been awake for approximately 2,920 straight days, or 70,080 hours! blink.gifw00t.gif

Xenojjin: 4 days!? My record is 3:15AM, set just a coupla nights ago. devil.gif

She haven't had any sleep for 8 years while even 8 hrs of sleep per-day isn't enough for me. tongue.gif Think about it. grin2.giflaugh.gif

I would be a completely non-functioning zombie if I went without sleep for just a few days !! blink.gif

Poor woman!! That is a very strange ailment though - huh.gif

How, clinically speaking, do you confirm that somebody hasn't slept for 8 years, beyond that's what the patient is actually telling you?

How, clinically speaking, do you confirm that somebody hasn't slept for 8 years, beyond that's what the patient is actually telling you?

Aslan, you might find this site interesting - I dont know if it would answer your question though dontgetit.gif

CLICK HERE

That article had barely any information at all. How long did they study her for? How did they test her? What is her mental state? How has lack of sleep affected her?

That article had barely any information at all. How long did they study her for? How did they test her? What is her mental state? How has lack of sleep affected her?

I'll Keep you updated on that as and when I find updates original.gif

I only sleep 4 hours usually. I tried going a few days once without sleeping (not a good idea), almost fainted several times and didn't even know what the day/time, etc, was.

no sleep is not so good. I can go a week without sleep sometimes, But i get all sick and whatnot

A week? That happned to me and I had only gone 3 days. Mind you I was spending all night on the internet and I guess it did not help. Besides from that I am not really a strong person.

Talking of sleep. I am going to do some now. I have failed to stick to my target of 10:00 and I am slowly drifting to sleep, aswell as off topic.

no sleep is not so good. I can go a week without sleep sometimes, But i get all sick and whatnot

May I ask why you went this long?

I think all children have this unique ability, of never wanting or able to sleep,bounce.gif until they become teenagers, where they then make up for lost time, and sleep endlessly! sleep.gif

life would be so much longer if we were always awake. Imagine what we could accomplish! The average person sleeps 220,000 hours in a lifetime. Thats 220,000 hours I will want back as I lay dying. crying.gif