Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Abraxas

GoddessWhispers

linked-image Abraxas, also known as Abrasax, is a Gnostic solar deity associated with Yahweh, Mithras and the Celtic Belenus, as well as Yeshu (Jesus). Amulets and seals bearing the figure of Abraxas were common in the second century, and were used as recently as the thirteenth century in the seals of the Knights Templar. By medieval times, Abraxas was relegated to the ranks of demons.

The image most associated with abraxas is that of a composite creature with the head of a rooster, the body of a man, and legs made of serpents or scorpions. He carries a whip and shield, called wisdom and power, respectively. Abraxas is occasionally depicted driving a chariot drawn by four horses, which representing the four elements.

The word Abraxas was first proposed by the Alexandrian Gnostic scholar Basilides, and is created using the first letters of the names of the seven visible planets. Gematrically, the letters in Abraxas add to 365, the number of days in a solar year, and the number of Aeons, or divine emanations, in Gnostic cosmology. Each of the seven letters represents one of the seven planetary powers.

Church father Tertullian, speaking of Basilides' description of Abraxas:

"Afterwards broke out the heretic Basilides. He affirms that there is a supreme Deity, by name Abraxas, by whom was created Mind, which in Greek he calls Nous; that thence sprang the Word; that of Him issued Providence, Virtue, and Wisdom; that out of these subsequently were made Principalities, powers, and Angels; that there ensued infinite issues and processions of angels; that by these angels 365 heavens were formed, and the world, in honour of Abraxas, whose name, if computed, has in itself this number. Now, among the last of the angels, those who made this world, he places the God of the Jews latest, that is, the God of the Law and of the Prophets, whom he denies to be a God, but affirms to be an angel." (Source)

Now that was an interesting read. :D

I like the look of that God. I mean, his legs are a little strange, but the whip and shield equals much Win. :o

The Third Sermon, Seven Sermons to the Dead

The dead approached like mist out of the swamps and they shouted: "Speak to us further about the highest god!"

-- Abraxas is the god whom it is difficult to know. His power is the very greatest, because man does not perceive it at all. Man sees the summum bonum (supreme good) of the sun, and also the infinum malum (endless evil) of the devil, but Abraxas, he does not see, for he is undefinable life itself, which is the mother of good and evil alike.

Life appears smaller and weaker than the summum bonum (supreme good), wherefore it is hard to think that Abraxas should supersede in his power the sun, which is the radiant fountain of all life force.

Abraxas is the sun and also the eternally gaping abyss of emptiness, of the diminisher and dissembler, the devil.

The power of Abraxas is twofold. You cannot see it, because in your eyes the opposition of this power seems to cancel it out.

That which is spoken by God-the-Sun is life; That which is spoken by the Devil is death. Abraxas, however, speaks the venerable and also accursed word, which is life and death at once.

Abraxas generates truth and falsehood, good and evil, light and darkness with the same word and in the same deed. Therefore, Abraxas is truly the terrible one.

He is magnificent even as the lion at the very moment when he strikes his prey down. His beauty is like the beauty of a spring morn.

Indeed, he is himself the greater Pan, and also the lesser. He is Priapos.

He is the monster of the underworld, the octopus with a thousand tentacles, he is the twistings of winged serpents and of madness.

He is the hermaphrodite of the lowest beginning.

He is the lord of toads and frogs, who live in the water and come out unto the land, and who sing together at high noon and at midnight.

He is fullness, uniting itself with emptiness.

He is the sacred wedding;

He is love and the murder of love;

He is the holy one and his betrayer.

He is the brightest light of the day and the deepest night of madness.

To see him means blindness;

To know him is sickness;

To worship him is death;

To fear him is wisdom;

Not to resist him means liberation.

God lives behind the sun; the devil lives behind the night. What god brings into birth from the light, that the devil pulls into the night. Abraxas, however, is the cosmos; its genesis and its dissolution. To every gift of God-the-Sun, the devil adds his curse.

All things which you beg from God-the-Sun, generate an act of the devil. All things which you accomplish through God-the-Sun add to the effective might of the devil.

Such is the terrible Abraxas.

He is the mightiest manifest being, and in him creation becomes frightened of itself.

He is the revealed protest of creation against the Pleroma and its nothingness.

He is the terror of the son, which he feels against his mother.

He is the love of the mother for her son.

He is the delight of earth and the cruelty of heaven.

Man becomes paralyzed before his face.

Before him there exist neither question nor answer.

He is the life of creation.

He is the activity of differentiation.

He is the love of man.

He is the speech of man.

He is both the radiance and dark shadow of man.

He is deceitful reality.

--Here the dead howled and raved greatly, for they were still incomplete ones.

http://www.holysmoke.org/sdhok/sermon3.htm

The Thunder, Perfect Mind

I was sent forth from the power,

and I have come to those who reflect upon me,

and I have been found among those who seek after me.

Look upon me, you who reflect upon me,

and you hearers, hear me.

You who are waiting for me, take me to yourselves.

And do not banish me from your sight.

And do not make your voice hate me, nor your hearing.

Do not be ignorant of me anywhere or any time. Be on your guard!

Do not be ignorant of me.

For I am the first and the last.

I am the honored one and the scorned one.

I am the whore and the holy one.

I am the wife and the virgin.

For I am knowledge and ignorance.

I am shame and boldness.

I am shameless; I am ashamed.

I am strength and I am fear.

I am war and peace.

Give heed to me.

I am the one who is disgraced and the great one.

I am the one whom they call Life,

and you have called Death.

I am the one whom they call Law,

and you have called Lawlessness.

I am the one whom you have pursued,

and I am the one whom you have seized.

I am the one whom you have scattered,

and you have gathered me together.

I am the one before whom you have been ashamed,

and you have been shameless to me.

I am she who does not keep festival,

and I am she whose festivals are many.

I, I am godless,

and I am the one whose God is great.

For many are the pleasant forms which exist in numerous sins,

and incontinencies,

and disgraceful passions,

and fleeting pleasures,

which men embrace until they become sober

and go up to their resting place.

And they will find me there,

and they will live,

and they will not die again.

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/thunder.html

Edited by Catch .22
  • Like 1

I saw that at the link in my previous post. Thanks for sharing here. :)

It's interesting also, relative to magics and such related to this particular god, that the incantation Abracadabra was associated with Abraxas.

(Excerpt) Abracadabra: This symbolic word first occurs in a medical treatise in verse by Samonicus, who flourished in the reign of the Emperor Septimus Severus. Godfrey Higgins says it is from Abra or Abar "God", in Celtic, and cad "holy"; it was used as a charm, and engraved on Kameas as an amulet. [W.W.W.]

Godfrey Higgins was nearly right, as the word "Abracadabra" is a later corruption of the sacred Gnostic term "Abrasax", the latter itself being a still earlier corruption of a sacred and ancient Coptic or Egyptian word: a magic formula which meant in its symbolism "Hurt me not", and addressed the deity in its hieroglyphics as "Father". It was generally attached to an amulet or charm and worn as a Tat (q.v.), on the breast under the garments." (continues at link)

Abracadabra - Etymology

Theories about the source of the word are:

A possible source is Aramaic: אברא כדברא avra kehdabra which means "I will create as I speak".

Abracadabra - Abraxas

It has also been claimed that the word comes from Abraxas, a Gnostic word for God (the source of 365 emanations, apparently the Greek letters for Abraxas add up to 365 when deciphered according to numerological methods). It has also been claimed to come from Abracalan (or Aracalan), said to have been both a Syrian god and a Jewish magical symbol.

Abraxas was the offspring of the Demiurgos who heard the voice of the Holy Mother and responded to her. In return Abraxas was taken up to a special position where he guides souls through the aeons to the Pleroma. Since Abraxas could be redeemed, so can the Demiurgos if he will just listen to the voice of his Holy Mother.

Peace,

RadicalGnostic

A possible source is Aramaic: אברא כדברא avra kehdabra which means "I will create as I speak".

bingo. :tu:

Abraxas was the offspring of the Demiurgos who heard the voice of the Holy Mother and responded to her. In return Abraxas was taken up to a special position where he guides souls through the aeons to the Pleroma. Since Abraxas could be redeemed, so can the Demiurgos if he will just listen to the voice of his Holy Mother.

Peace,

RadicalGnostic

I like the notion of a holy female. :) Being wise in all things Gnostic, I was wondering if you would share a bit more on that particular aspect of the practice/faith, RN!? :) I'll bring you cookies from the dark side! :P

I understand there are many differing views in Gnostic thought, it was and should be encouraged, but that sounds more like Sabaoth you are referring to, from the text 'The Hypostasis of the Archons'...

"Now when his(Yaldabaoth) offspring Sabaoth saw the force of that angel, he repented and condemned his father and his mother, matter. He loathed her, but he sang songs of praise up to Sophia and her daughter Zoe. And Sophia and Zoe caught him up and gave him charge of the seventh heaven, below the veil between above and below. And he is called 'God of the forces, Sabaoth', since he is up above the forces of chaos, for Sophia established him."

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/hypostas.html

...combined with the paragraph in the text 'The Apocalypse of Adam' that mentions Abraxas...

"Abrasax and Sablo and Gamaliel will descend and bring those men out of the fire and the wrath, and take them above the aeons and the rulers of the powers, and take them away [...] of life [...] and take them away [...] aeons [...] dwelling place of the great [...] there, with the holy angels and the aeons. The men will be like those angels, for they are not strangers to them. But they work in the imperishable seed."

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/adam.html

Also I am curious what you believe Abraxas needed to be redeemed from?

Iao Sabaoth is Greek, derived from the Hebrew "YHVH Tzaviot," usually translated "Lord of Hosts," a name of God in the Old Testament. In modern biblical translations, it is often rendered as "Commander of armies."

The name Iao Sabaoth is also applied together or seperately as Gnostic archons; the Gnostic Iao is associated with both Abraxas and the seven headed dragon; he is sometimes referred to as the "Father of Lies." (Continues at link)

Sabaoth Gallery

There are a number of versions of Abraxas... or you could say that Abraxas symbolizes a number of different concepts. To some Abraxas is the name given to the Supreme God, to others Abraxas is the Demiurge or an Archon... or even a demon. All are valid making Abraxas at times a very complicated subject with all the "associated" concepts related to all the different versions of Abraxas. Versions will come from the symbolism found on the Abraxas amulets/gems, from texts, from heresiologists and modern sources.

From what I can tell a dual nature or a certain concept of duality associated with Abraxas is the common denominator found in most versions of Abraxas.

It is often said that Abraxas is the Supreme God, both good and evil, God and the Devil as one, symbolizing duality... both heads and tails of a coin... or even the dual nature of the Satan/Lucifer concept. In the OT YHWH is said to be the beginning and the end, good and evil an hence Abraxas could be another name for YHWH... unless you see YHWH as a composite God, a storm/war god given the attributes of higher a God through the ages, then things get complicated again lol.

Personally I dont see a God that encompasses both good and evil as a Supreme God, to me a Supreme God would transcend good and evil. Abraxas has always best represented 'Harsh Reality' to me... "Not to resist him means liberation".

• 10 years later...

This name kept appearing when I played the ouija board I’m done with that but now in my automatic writing it comes out as well it or I should say drew a picture of tht entity so is it a good thing or a bad thing 

• 3 weeks later...

2 minutes ago, Fyoo'Zhon said:

I heard that Abraxas was the god of LEPROSY.

As it represents the "god above god," and also everything... both good and evil...it would also be the god of leprosy and indeed, all ailments. 

Everything includes all good stuff and all bad stuff. 

• Like 1

I like this lore. I'm not all literal about it, but it appeals to me.

There is a God about whom you know nothing, because men have forgotten him. We call him by his name: Abraxas. He is less definite than God or Devil.... Abraxas is activity: nothing can resist him but the unreal ... Abraxas stands above the sun[-god] and above the devil  If the Pleroma were capable of having a being, Abraxas would be its manifestation.

— 2nd Sermon

That which is spoken by God-the-Sun is life; that which is spoken by the Devil is death; Abraxas speaketh that hallowed and accursed word, which is life and death at the same time. Abraxas begetteth truth and lying, good and evil, light and darkness in the same word and in the same act. Wherefore is Abraxas terrible.

— 3rd Sermon

The bird fights its way out of the egg. The egg is the world. Who would be born must first destroy a world. The bird flies to God. That God's name is Abraxas.

— Max Demian

... it appears that Abraxas has much deeper significance. We may conceive of the name as that of the godhead whose symbolic task is the uniting of godly and devilish elements.

— Dr. Follens

Abraxas doesn't take exception to any of your thoughts or any of your dreams. Never forget that. But he will leave you once you become blameless and normal.

— Pistorius

• 3 weeks later...

For some reason this deity came up in my thoughts the last couple weeks. My thoughts were that it reminds me of Eryctheus, the immaculate offspring of Athena and Hephaistos.

Zeus was given info that one of the offspring of Athena would overthrow him like he overthrew Chronos and like Chronos overthrew his father Ouranos. So Zeus was going to pull a Chronos and get rid of the threat. But anyway, apparently he never found him, or the reading has never come my way.

Because Athena is a virgin, and an immaculate conception of Zeus alone, with no mother. So, as revenge Hera has her own immaculate conception, Hephaistos. He bears his own tales of being thrown from Olympos, and being let back in.

But, one day Hephaistos saw Athena near his lair, and became overwhelmed with lust, and released himself on Athena's thigh and the seed fell to the earth, and Eryctheus was born in the soil. But, Athena is still a virgin, the child is immaculate of immaculates. So, apparently Zeus forgot to care and this age might end when he is overthrown and castrated like his forefathers for his adultery and angering Hera so often.

Edited by Opus Magnus

• 11 months later...

"To fear him is wisdom;

Not to resist him means liberation."

Abrasax my be indeed be the personified or deified representative of duality in the one who is many and all in one and in direct and constant consistent required antithesis of all itself dychotomy's existence compelled and projected exemplified but your'e missing some facts in this instance. He is both Love and Hate. It's about balance (yes and the song just said "love and hate" In Flames the chosen pessemist "Invoke the dark")And so compassion exists above pity. For his great mystery is to not be understood by you. Or even by me except that he is me... and you too. Sight of himself is cancelled out. The second sentence has long been transcribed as this and thus through time. It is in fact not correct in lines it reads out screaming your understanding. Comprehension is not missed on the wise and patient. Wheels aling slowly. IT was written this way to fool the unwary and the blind. For indeed to "no longer" fear Abrasax is to know his wisdom. And to no reject but accept that he is a direct reflection of the shades in all of us that exist constant (lets do this around another time). To understand our own nature... a creator mad in his infiniteness devised a system. For he is to know only fear of himself. And he is is pain. He is afraid and dying. But he resists himself. He knows fear of fear itself in creation of this was his master scheme. But to accept that we in and of ourselves exist as "him" and he in "me" and so you too. Are we and ALL OF US ONE. ITS THE LIGHT THAT YOU CHOOSE TO EXUDE. But you must reject the heart of madness to exist such in unsanity as this is his aberration a reflective collection of all chaos the impact point of balanced fulcrums..pivotal choice for he is corruptions within. The master of toads and frogs who call in the day and night and bogs. Both. He is the rot of unsane he is the pooled filth and yet the cleansing and the purification within and he is the breaking of bread once broken who can say. Possibly even curses come with blessing within. But anything goes. For this is the nature of the creature you call by this I should well know my own Father. The creator. Or maker. TheArchitect. Am I the egg or am I the Head of the Roosters? Or are we the heart and soul. All I know is for sure I am the Raven. To resist in this hell was my ladder backwards is to and thus nothing just can come with this heart of mine except the absolution of the path. So piety must be written above the slothful ways to choose not the path of least resistence but the bravest on is still for the prince of this arcaneness I am ONE. The single. For he is all words in one ands so consists of this. To accept is enslavement for always. I am the weapon for which this exists the prophecies of time say the snakes if you can hear them.. Precisely the 1000. And they have some slightly shifting attitudes and moods. When I suggest stepping back. I don't know I'd probably listen if I were you. The creator had a "perfect manifestation" he doesn't take well to one things Standing against his own words. And so drop the weapons or the torch I've got hits the floor with a force unseen before. Your "will" it is redundantly unneccesary. "I create as I speak" and and I speak of my creations carve your name in the stone. I am the THE BEARER OF YEWs. The dark and light speak through the Son. But even I have choices within. I choose to love all colors... in a sense they all become necessary to really paint a real picture of life. I am only the enemy if you choose it..though comes highly unrecommended. I AM THE VOICE.

Motorhead you see this in your equipment? Well you have a bit of a problem to deal with. Shaking my head. Sorry is for PArker Brother my friend. Pull up your britches good. Only the strong come with this to know. Or Again some gifts come with "Santa's Blessing" and a wink come with little black labeled warnings soaked in blood can't necessarily see the red to warn you off. Depends on the path you seek in your heart is what Abrasax seeks. ("which path to follow") Follow the broken cookie crumbs... to the hollows..STEP OFF WHEN YOU CROSS THE LINE. The eye of the darkest birds knows the pathways both ways. See you in 2027 at the crossroads. ~ Raven.

To those of you experiencing him in your life is his call to make a decision of his understanding. He is what he manifests as he is. In you though I recommend being careful of the subtle whispers in the dark. They can be misleading as well as rewarding. This is the path before you. Search yourself well for truths even he appreciates this nature of the aging of wines of aeons. Only the pious find vindication in the salvation provided this halo. And now you know little moths about the cloth your made of..and why you like the warmth of the light so much.