Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious Stone Archway a Time Portal?

pappagooch

Has anyone ever heard of the mysterious stone archway in Southeastern Arizona?

According to this article, it was originally discovered in the early 1800’s by a trio of Indians playfully chasing each other in the mountains of southern Arizona. One of them ran through the archway, but did not emerge from the other side. They freaked out and advised the tribe’s medicine man of this place and a bunch of them went to the location. They threw rocks through it and nothing happened. Finally a live animal was thrown through the thing and poof, it disappeared. They decided to name the structure "Doorway to the Gods”.

In the forties, a local Indian named "John" visited the site. There was a storm headed his way but when he looked through the archway he saw blue skies. He made his way AROUND the structure and sure enough it was dark all around him. He freaked out and bolted.

“Some believe John was looking into another time period through the portal.”

One theory presented in this article is that “Perhaps an enormous deposit of geodes beneath the surface might be effecting time in some mysterious manner. When all the natural elements --the vibration of the crystals, the electricity in the atmosphere and the magnetic fields in the earth--come together at the precise moment, laws of nature are turned topsy-turvy, and things occur beyond our understanding. It could be like dropping a stone into a pool of calm water--the archway being the stone and the waves expanding outward could be the natural forces. These might reach anywhere from several yards to a mile. Depending upon the activation, everything within this radiating circle could be thrown into a different period of time. When it fades, things return to normal.”

Link to this intriguing story

• Like 2

I half recall a similiar story about a girl who went missing after entering a ruin, and no trace of her was ever found - well no trace but her name was found in records dating back centuries beforehand... hmmm i'll go see if i can find that story.

Are you talking about the story of Lucy Lightfoot, PS ? I can't remember it with any clarity. On the Isle of Wight I think it was. I'll have a rummage.

EDIT: If it is Ms Lightfoot, here's a good page I've just turned up on Google:

Link

Edited by Aslan

Well remembered - yep that be the story i was looking for - i have just had a look round to see if i could find where i had read it but i couldn't find it - so thanks for that. If i remember correctly the source i got the story from expands a bit on what happens to her in the past.

Cheers

To add to that (and to go off on a bit of a tangent), i'm a great believer that 'Timeslips' (for want of a better name) account for quite a few ghosts sightings.

The reason behind this is an experience a good friend of mine has a few years ago - i know her well and i know she wouldn't make this sort of thing up:

Nearly a decade ago my friend was living with her boyfriend (another friend of mine) in an old vicarage (in suffolk i believe). One afternoon he was sorting out the garden and she was having a lay down in the bedroom before going out for the evening, when the bedroom door opened and a man and a woman dressed in victorian clothes walked straight in! My friend immediately got up to confront them, but the man seemed totally oblivious to her. The woman on the otherhand, saw my friend get up, and with an expression of wide eyed horror, left the room as fast as she possibly could, followed puzzledly by the man.

My friend followed them out, but there was no sign of them outside the room. She checked with her boyfriend who was still in the garden, and he hadn't seen anyone and wasn't expecting anyone...

What amuses me, if this woman from an earlier time really did see my friend, the reason she looked so scared was probably because 1) if there was no bed in that position at the earlier timeframe my friend would of appeared to be levitating and 2) My friend is a screaming goth - wears black dresses, is close to 6'0" in her boots, never seen without full white face make up and black face veils - she must of though she saw death herself!!

• Like 2

On that same subject, there's a wonderful story about the 70's 'psychic' and Uri geller protege Mathew Manning, who used to see an old man dressed in 18th century clothing wandering around his house. To cut a long story short, when confronted, this 'ghost' was aghast that he was living out of time, and told Manning that it was he who was the supernatural entity, he was, said the old man, a ghoul of tomorrow.

There's more to the tale, obviously, but Google failed me this time and I can't find the book. Upshot being, I agree PS, timeslips could acount for what we call ghosts, as far back as you want to go, in fact, if you consider the nature of purported timeslips.

Edited by Aslan

EDIT: If it is Ms Lightfoot, here's a good page I've just turned up on Google:

Link

Very Interesting Story! I never heard of that one. Thanks!

Hmm, the Arizona Arch sounds like the stone circle in Stargate?

What happened to it? Is it still there? dontgetit.gif

With reference to the Lucy Lightfoot story - couldn't she just have done a bunk? abduct.gif

I would have thought that someone suddenly appearing out of nowhere in the Middle Ages would have been burnt at the stake quicker than you could say "Hey nonny-no"?

It would be hard to burn her when she no longer "existed". Unless she vanished and came back on a regular basis.

The Lucy Lightfoot link (excellent name by the way) stated that one theory was that she was transported to the 13th century and ran off to the crusades with a knight - hence the "nonny-no" bit, which if my medievel translator is still working means "let's party!" wink2.gif

why dont you tie a rope and jump in the "portal" and have a friend pull you out. HAY it worked on the simpsons!

If the "weather gods" smile on me; some of my friends and I might go check this out over this vacation... Arivaca is about half an hour from here. I'll post my observations and maybe some pics if I get a chance to take any.

I look forward to hearing what you find out if you do get the chance to go investigating

• 1 month later...

That guy who said he was going to Arivaca hasn't repoted anyting in a long time maybe he found it and can't find his way back.

I reckon it could be a time portal. I have used one before. It's in my room, orange and rectangular. Whenever I go through it it mysteriously turns from night to the next day whistling2.gif

• 11 years later...

I'm looking for more information on this, coordinates or maybe somebody willing to take a group on an expedition to view /witness the area. I'm also looking for info on the opening to the city inside the grand canyon. =) very interesting stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

new here...what is a time slip?

Hmmm nothing else said by the person. Guess they are having fun in whatever place they are in now.

A timeslip is where someone slips into another time, or dimension, then comes back. Well hopefully comes back if the place is not good.