Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

WestVirginia(Mountain Men)

cyurious

I've been to a little town called logan in WV to visit some friends! Nothing much really goes on there people are pretty layed back. Believe it or not some of them find it interesting when big city dwellers come through! Lots of nice people and, great stories.

There are little towns through WV where the cops don't really like people coming through late at night and, when the speed limit through these little towns have a posted speed limit of 5mph. you best abide by it, because the cops will follow you through that whole section of the town. Other than that I can't really say anything bad about WV.

Hey, I know where Logan is! There are a lot more smaller places than that though lol. Small towns, 1/2 mile long...mile long. 50 residents. I lived in a 'holler' once and there were probably no more than 200 people living there. Got your water from a well, and you dug your own hole in place for a septic tank, ew.

You definitely don't want your car to break down 5 miles deep into a holler on a dark night. You can't see the hand infront of your face it is so dark.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rosenrot

• cyurious

• EmpressStarXVII

• sbradj

Hey, I know where Logan is! There are a lot more smaller places than that though lol. Small towns, 1/2 mile long...mile long. 50 residents. I lived in a 'holler' once and there were probably no more than 200 people living there. Got your water from a well, and you dug your own hole in place for a septic tank, ew.

You definitely don't want your car to break down 5 miles deep into a holler on a dark night. You can't see the hand infront of your face it is so dark.

I think they still do that in alotta "holler" round here...but at the least they are modernizing it to met building codes in most counties.. :tu: ..Iv heard from much of the older folks it used run into the rivers,creeks..So its really came a long ways..

Those cops give ya head aches...(like they aint got nothin better to do) very serious with it though, maybe thats the key to keeping down the crime..really not much crime in these areas like there is in the city so thats a good thing I figure..there is crime but just not as bad. I was told a story bout a mine-sercurity officer getting shot at a mines , and the newest crime seems to be steeling phone line...probaly the only place in this world someone would do this.. :w00t: (stupid)

The dark hollers , yep gotta agree with ya on that one....dont wanna break down there...

I think they still do that in alotta "holler" round here...but at the least they are modernizing it to met building codes in most counties.. :tu: ..Iv heard from much of the older folks it used run into the rivers,creeks..So its really came a long ways..

Those cops give ya head aches...(like they aint got nothin better to do) very serious with it though, maybe thats the key to keeping down the crime..really not much crime in these areas like there is in the city so thats a good thing I figure..there is crime but just not as bad. I was told a story bout a mine-sercurity officer getting shot at a mines , and the newest crime seems to be steeling phone line...probaly the only place in this world someone would do this.. :w00t: (stupid)

The dark hollers , yep gotta agree with ya on that one....dont wanna break down there...

Yeah, the cops can be hateful lol. It's usually the State troopers that are asses compared to the local cops. Unless of course you are an unfamiliar car going through down, that just gives them excitement to finally pull someone over without worrying about hurting their feelings lol.

Yep, phone line stealing is very popular around here lol. People steal it and take it into a recycling plant (I think?) and get money for the copper.

I have lived and traveled in most parts of West Virginia and although there are some strange people there it is nothing like that movie. I have met some very friendly and kind people in W.VA.

Not that many people go missing in W.Va. I don't know where you got your info but I would keep looking.

i hav heard bobcats scream before i wasnt born yesterday,i live in florida hello! but yea i jus find out for myself

Sat hello to the New River Gorge for me :)

Your English makes my eyes bleed uncontrollably. No offense, but please... use proper grammar and capitalization.

morons like you are making me sick. i reckon that english is not your first language. from my experience, people like you are either still learning the language, gets p***ed because some words or phrases are not on your idiots guide to english or you just want to flame somebody. read on, non-english speaking person when he was born so that you may learn. stop criticizing. No offense :P

===========

Not to be off-topic, hiking, canoe riding and whatever tourist attraction is available right? so there must be some kind of protection for the tourist. if these mountain men are hostile, the governing body of WV would have done something. i would love to go there sometime.

Not to be off-topic, hiking, canoe riding and whatever tourist attraction is available right? so there must be some kind of protection for the tourist. if these mountain men are hostile, the governing body of WV would have done something. i would love to go there sometime.

There are no hostile mountain men like cyrious described. I have been there many times. The most dangerous things in WV is getting lost in the woods. The protection that you speak of comes from going hiking/rafting/canoeing with someone who knows the area. That's what guides are for. They get paid to make sure you have a good time and stay safe.

There are no hostile mountain men like cyrious described. I have been there many times. The most dangerous things in WV is getting lost in the woods. The protection that you speak of comes from going hiking/rafting/canoeing with someone who knows the area. That's what guides are for. They get paid to make sure you have a good time and stay safe.

Also in most of these places they offer food..lol its usually part of the package ...you would want a guide if ya dont no nothing bout the woods...ran into a teenage kid from the city who came to visit his folks and went hiking.......the child was ate up with poison oak!!!!...differntly need to know your poisons before hitting the trails..

[quote name='sbradj' date='Jun 17 2007, 08:31 AM' post='1729082

the newest crime seems to be steeling phone line...probaly the only place in this world someone would do this.. :w00t: (stupid)

Naw, they do it here in the Pine Barrens too. The price of copper is up and the amount of legit jobs is down.

My stepdad's family helped run Fort New Salem in WV. It use to be a cool place but it's dying because people lost interest in Mountain culture.

Hey cyurious! We have the New Libson Developmental Center where New Jersey puts the criminally insane here in the Pine Barrens. Camp out behind there for a few. People are always jumping the fence and getting lost in the swamp. Maybe a cannibal will escape

Lapiche

Hmmm... well... I'm from WV - born and raised. In a small "backwoods" community too. Haven't heard much about people going missing. It's true that most are very conservative in their beliefs, and yes racism is still prevalent in the small communities. However, I've never seen a deformed person, though I have seen plenty of spirits, and heard a fair share of chilling stories about strange creatures (mom and her dad once followed the trail - in the fresh fallen snow - of a large cat that suddenly turned into human footprints), and of course the Mothman of Point Pleasant. It's not uncommon to hear panthers screams, and a bobcat does sound like a woman screaming.

Oh and about those Mountain Men... sorry to burst your bubble, but most the ones I know are some of the nicest guys you'll meet - willing to give you the shirt of their backs if you needed it. To be honest, I'd be more afraid living in NYC.

• 2 years later...

i know that over 1000 people are reported missing in westvirginia each year, and i deeply think that the mountain men are responsible after watching wrong turn has any one heard of this and have any info reguarding it? me an my friends want to hike the virginian mountains and document our findings

thnx

when you go up into the mountains watch your back at all times do not let your gaurd down there are things we can't explain

I've lived in Southern West Virginia all my life and can tell you that I've never met a cannibal or an inbred, mutant killer. Not even one, lol. Sorry to disappoint you.

I also live up an unpaved "holler" an hour away from anything and I can vouch for the bears, coyotes, bobcats and other wild things that can scare you to death if you're out in the woods after dark. Owls, for one can sound pretty creepy and are more common.

Personally, I hate all the stereotypes about my state and it's people but what can you do, a lot of outsiders aren't usually willing to give them up. I would, however, like to point out that most of the "hillbillies" that have posted in this thread can spell and type with proper capitalization. :innocent:

so many people go missing in the nsw blue mountains....i have often came across men with no teeth drinking beer and trying to steal my ciggarettes..their all trying to find a way to some place called Penriff

• 2 months later...

Cyurious your posts are ridiculous I'm from PA and I go to the West Virginia backwoods in the mountains every year since i've been little and there's nothing like wrong turn there and those movies are a major stereotype of people from West Virginia, those people Are the nicest people I've ever met in my life and if you ever go to he mountains of West Virginia you'll be disapointed because you won't get atacked by anyone

so there are no inbredly deformed people that seclude to the mountains

i heard thats where they go, to live in the mountains

You are goofing right?? You don't seriously think Wrong Turn was a real life depiction of the good folks who live in WV do you? If you are looking for thrills or different experiences , I would try the lvl. 6 rapids that the other member talked about. My Grandfather and his family were born and raised in St. Alban's WV and its a really beautiful state that unfortunately suffers from alot of poverty. As for inbred ...no none of my family ever procreated with anybody in their family tree.

Theres a really pretty place out that way called Hawk's Nest.

W.C. AL

well i think that mountain men are creepy and i still am gonna go to west virginia in an attempt to be attacked and survive

:D:D:D:D future Jerry Springer guest here i think :D:D:D

hope you do survive, what a loss to the gene pool it would be if you didnt :no::no::D:D

I personally find this stereo-typical claptrap about mountain folk offensive. Particularly as much of my family is from Southern West Virginia (McDowell County). City people who don't know what the hell they're doing cause most of their own problems in the back-woods. Someone needs to quit watching movies that were meant to scare the hell out of people and discover for themselves how hospitable West Virginians are.

cormac

well i think that mountain men are creepy and i still am gonna go to west virginia in an attempt to be attacked and survive

I would think that seeing Wrong Turn would deter one from wanting to experience something like that, but hey apparently not. I'm pretty sure there are much more intelligent ways to get your kicks.

:D:D:D:D future Jerry Springer guest here i think :D:D:D

hope you do survive, what a loss to the gene pool it would be if you didnt :no::no::D:D

:tu:

So you are saying that there are weird people who have inbreed sex and produce deformed babies and murdering innocent people then eating them like the movie Wrong turn? and you want to see if they exist? Don't believe everything you see in movies.

Didn't John Denver once sing a song about Jerry West dining on a kidnapped gay hippy with Chuck Yeager while they fed scraps to their deformed incestuous mutant children? Yes, West Virginia is the world capital of cannibalism and inbreeding....according to Hollywood films. Seriously, I thought that such stereotypes went the way of the minstrel show. I hope that the OP was just pulling our legs.

The state indeed has problems with its economy and education, and its obesity rate has increased. On the plus side, it has one of the lowest violent crime rates in the country. The residents give more to charities, per capita, too. You'd likely be in more danger taking a stroll down your hometown's main street at midnight than you would be hiking in a remote part of this state.

Well I guess I'd be considered a hillbilly, well to be politically correct an Appalacian american :lol: West(bygod)Virginia, great place, WFO and alot different from the communist wealth of Virginia. The band I'm in plays in Bluefield WV and I can tell you they know how to party.

Haven't heard of any mass dissapearances around these parts although the singer in the band swears the movie Wrong Turn was based on a true story about a holler where a bunch of inbreds lived and killed anyone that accidently ended up there. I personally doubt that, but I'll ask him more about it today when I see him.

He claims to have seen an inbred like what was in the movie though. He used to work in the mines (coal) in southern WVA and somewhere along his way to work there was a house that had crushed cars stacked on top of each other to make a barrier for thier.... offspring. Anyways, he just had to stop and look for himself one day. He said the guy was huge, 7ft tall or better and his hands were enormous. And everytime he would drive by that house after that the inbred seemed to remember his car and would run him like a fenced in dog would do.

I would say Hollyweed picked up on something like this and spun a scary movie out of it.

Edited by Stardrive

LOL....You guys in the last 6-7 replies are responding to a topic from 2007......

She has either grown up by now , or is married to a back woodsman ...... She is gone......

• The topic was locked