Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

An investigation tale

JavaJane

Northcurch Common & woods, Berkhampsted.

Weather: Had been raining but when we got to destintaion it had stopped. Warm (muggy) and clear (no mist/fog etc) No smokers during, only after.

In the lorry on the way, a tape was playing (ghastly country stuff! And other songs). The last song played was ‘Killing me softly’ before we reached the common (remember this!)

Returning to the area where we all felt very uneasy last time, ( we had been there the previous week but with fewer group members) two members who hadn't been there before took the lead, to see if they felt anything.

As soon as we reached the odd clearing with the circle of trees, both felt very apprehensive. We decided to hold a séance, bravely linking arms with backs turned in a tight circle. The area is oppressive and quiet, so a tight circle makes you feel slightly safer.

As we looked and waited, I saw a small patch of (mist?) moving round, it was about 3 feet from the ground. Intrigued, I asked if anyone else had seen it, but no-one had. Then it appeared again, visible to my eye. The camera also picked it up, it was very definitely moving around us.

We stood for a while, waiting to hear or see something, all of us feeling eyes on us. (as you do in dark places!)

Tracy then shushed us all and did a 5 minute recording on her mobile. Very long 5 minutes when you are in a dark woods (torches off!) We stood silently, not moving a muscle, but sensing something around us. Still in the bunched up circle and linked arms. A few times I saw the (mist) patch sometimes close, sometimes further into the trees.

I felt, towards the final minute, that someone was coming forwards to us, and was relieved when Tracy turned the recorder off and said ‘we will take it you don’t want to show us anything’.

Still linking arms, someone asked for a noise or ‘something’ to let us know if we were wanted or if we should go. Tracy then commented that it was the witching hour (midnight) which didn’t make us feel any better!

Getting a little frustrated that nothing was heard or seen we asked again, and in the distance someone shouted (not sure what, it was a definite voice however).

Trying to determine what it said (stay? Hey?) we asked again and this time louder, more than one word being shouted. I couldn’t decipher it, maybe something like hey you, hi, or stay here, I really don’t know.

I did wonder if it was an owl, but it was a voice and after that absolute silence. We did question whether any residents might have been calling a dog or cat, there are houses along the track in the woods, but these were a distance away, and it was by then way past midnight. Possible still though.

All wanting to go, very edgy, one member said we should walk now to the truck, she had heard the voice say something but didn’t want to tell us what until we were in an open space (which made us freak even more!)

I wanted safety of the country lane and we walked for a few feet and in the trees, then onto the small narrow track road.

Then the member told us what she heard. ‘You’re all going to die’. Thinking back, Tracy then said it was right, now someone had said it out loud. (of course, you can make yourself hear anything if you are a bit scared)

Speedily, we practically raced down the road, each trying to get in front, getting the feeling something was behind. Stopping to calm down (because little legs cannot do this running malarkey!) and turning to look back with a big torch, (nothing there) we then walked down the track, a little bit faster and all hanging on to each other.

Finally reached the main road and the lorry, and all breathless and hot we stopped. Tracy then listened to her recording. Oh heck, it made me go shivery and my eyes watered. It was silent, you couldn’t hear any of us moving (remember we were packed in a tight circle still as can be) and something was walking around us. Footsteps on the ground (which was bark and fern and twigs, crunchy)

And then, whispering, talking, voices and footsteps around us. We all listened to this, wide-eyed. Oh man, that was freaky (and hopefully I will get the recording today, so I can put it on the site).

Now, not wanting to go to the other side of the woods, we decided to go home.

Clambered into the lorry, Tracy first because Joe had felt something was underneath the lorry.

Now, you know how when you get in somewhere (be it work, home or whatever) and you know something isn’t right? Engine on, a bizarre noise, a banging and whirr, and a ticking (there is no clock) The wipers came on. Tracy said, ‘odd, I turned them off’ the radio light was on, odd, she had turned that off. The heater was on, same again. I reached for the EMF (which I had forgotten to take) it was on. It was all very weird.

We drove off, and put the music on. Silence. Nothing. Took it out and turned it over. Nothing, silence. Weird and weirder. Fast forward, turn it over, totally blank.

I said (half jokingly) maybe they recorded something on it. We let it play. The tape we had listened to on the way was blank, but we let it play.

We got into Aylesbury and suddenly the music came on, the song we had listened to last!

Some photos taken just before we linked arms and a couple during (before the recording)

linked-image

linked-image

Probably a moth shining in this one.

linked-image

linked-image

A few more here: http://www.javajane.co.uk/uploadsNC/

:)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nile_Shaman

• JavaJane

• Barek Halfhand

• Jules22871

Hey, fascinating story!

Glad you all made it out OK :)

Let us know when you get the recording, it would be a great thing to hear!

take care,

I found this little video clip of a dust devil oddly enough surrounding some kids there while googling for more of the history of the place.

This location you went to is simply a graveyard, or have there been other events there as well?

Thanks for the report :)

NS

edit: I botched the link. it is www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRduUDiTOyk

Edited by Nile_Shaman

Hi...I have no idea where you went , but liked the pix and the story...Hopefully youll have more for us....thanks :yes:

I found this little video clip of a dust devil oddly enough surrounding some kids there while googling for more of the history of the place.

This location you went to is simply a graveyard, or have there been other events there as well?

Thanks for the report :)

NS

edit: I botched the link. it is www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRduUDiTOyk

A graveyard? Not that I am aware of, it is just a common and dense woods? Have looked at the link, I am not sure how I came across the place, just looking for places to go to on our nights out.

I could only find one reference to it, something about it supposedly years ago having been the place (well one part of it) the site of where a man hanged his children, but that could have been local legend. Have not been able to find any stories or tales about it elsewhere. Just seemed a good place to go!

JJ

A graveyard? Not that I am aware of, it is just a common and dense woods? Have looked at the link, I am not sure how I came across the place, just looking for places to go to on our nights out.

I could only find one reference to it, something about it supposedly years ago having been the place (well one part of it) the site of where a man hanged his children, but that could have been local legend. Have not been able to find any stories or tales about it elsewhere. Just seemed a good place to go!

JJ

NP, I googled the location and it had mentions of a church, graveyard, and a few other associated places and made a guess... you know what they say about assuming. I found that clip of the dust devil springing up about the kids as they palyed and whipping up leaves about them as an interesting day time event, though certainly not paranormal in itself. If it was close to this location of allegedly children being hung, then it might well have some deeper significance than just interesting...

NS

Northcurch Common & woods, Berkhampsted.

Returning to the area where we all felt very uneasy last time, ( we had been there the previous week but with fewer group members) two members who hadn't been there before took the lead, to see if they felt anything.

As soon as we reached the odd clearing with the circle of trees, both felt very apprehensive. We decided to hold a séance, bravely linking arms with backs turned in a tight circle. The area is oppressive and quiet, so a tight circle makes you feel slightly safer.

Hello JJ...great post :tu:

I'm curious about the seance you held .. do one of you channel on a regular basis?.... and how many were in this "sitting"?... 4 total?....

I would like to enhance a couple of those photos if you don't mind......that has become pretty SOP here as of late.....B

halfhandshuffle:Godsmack-Away

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olmlEaMf2wg

Edited by Barek Halfhand

I would like to enhance a couple of those photos if you don't mind

:rofl:

I'll bet you would! Some stuff to see there. That's why I thought it was near burial locations. It has that feel to it, of bodies under the ground and activity.

*anticipates some interesting enhancements*

NS

Hello JJ...great post :tu:

I'm curious abbout the seance you held .. do one of you channel on a regular basis?.... and how many were in this "sitting"?... 4 total?....

I would like to enhance a couple of those photos if you don't mind......that has become pretty SOP here as of late.....B

halfhandshuffle:Godsmack-Away

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olmlEaMf2wg

Feel free to poke them about :) Let me know if you find anything :)

Nile, would be good to see your links about the place because I can't find any mention on google!

JJ

Feel free to poke them about :) Let me know if you find anything :)

Nile, would be good to see your links about the place because I can't find any mention on google!

JJ

I forgot to say about the seances!

We don't always do them, depends on the mood and feel of a place. usually there are 5 or 6 of us, occasionally we have a medium with us. The group has a feel for paranormal things, although we don't claim to be able to talk to spirits! just sensitive perhaps?

I occasionally see things (like the mist) but not always, I usually am clicking away with the camera.

The website has more investigations and photos, we go out every week whatever the weather, and sometimes it is pants, other times excellent. :)

Good investigation notes there! As a fellow ghost hunter, I appreciate the detailed notes and the pictures, keep up the good work!

I forgot to say about the seances!

We don't always do them, depends on the mood and feel of a place. usually there are 5 or 6 of us, occasionally we have a medium with us. The group has a feel for paranormal things, although we don't claim to be able to talk to spirits! just sensitive perhaps?

I occasionally see things (like the mist) but not always, I usually am clicking away with the camera.

The website has more investigations and photos, we go out every week whatever the weather, and sometimes it is pants, other times excellent. :)

:tu: ..I know what you mean.....B

linked-image

:huh:

linked-image

:huh::huh:

linked-image

linked-image

linked-image

Edited by Barek Halfhand

I was happy to look again to find it and cannot, but here's a bunch I found that were interesting and gave me more a sense of the area, being so far away :). I tried many phrases to google and cannot find the site where I was given the impression there was a church and cemetary in the same "commons" area which led to my guess you went nearby for this. Sorry.

general info:

http://www.chilternsaonb.org/site_details.asp?siteID=377

WWI usage by troops, who all died in the war apparently :(

http://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/d...ns-of-court.htm

some old folklore about the area:

http://www.ridgewayfriends.org.uk/page53.html

some haunts said to be in the area:

http://parainvestigators.tripod.com/cases.html

more haunts in Herts, sounds fun:

http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/hertfordshire/hertdata.php

NS

I felt kind of drained after looking these over ... a caution to some of you....B

linked-image

Edited by Barek Halfhand

I felt kind of drained after looking these over ... a caution to some of you....B

I can't tell the proximities of places mentioned in all the links but in the area, possibly too far from this place to be related, there was a highwayman killed, about 2,000 troops who trained here and apparently enjoyed it hugely and then went to war and died, never returned... it sounds a fab area to go and check a ton of legends and tales out. I didn't see the one JJ related about the children being killed, so there's tons of tales to sort through. I enjoy the historical background aspect to these things a lot.

NS

:tu: ..I know what you mean.....B

linked-image

:huh:

linked-image

:huh::huh:

linked-image

linked-image

linked-image

?. What you saying about the pics? Explain to a dumb blondey what you did and what you think :)

I was happy to look again to find it and cannot, but here's a bunch I found that were interesting and gave me more a sense of the area, being so far away :). I tried many phrases to google and cannot find the site where I was given the impression there was a church and cemetary in the same "commons" area which led to my guess you went nearby for this. Sorry.

general info:

http://www.chilternsaonb.org/site_details.asp?siteID=377

WWI usage by troops, who all died in the war apparently :(

http://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/d...ns-of-court.htm

some old folklore about the area:

http://www.ridgewayfriends.org.uk/page53.html

some haunts said to be in the area:

http://parainvestigators.tripod.com/cases.html

more haunts in Herts, sounds fun:

http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/hertfordshire/hertdata.php

NS

Thank you for them :) Hertfordshire is a good area to investigate, it's quite a way from home though! I found the common from this link http://www.lcdonline.co.uk/html/northchurch_farm.html but can't find any other reference to the hangings, but the farm is close to where we were :unsure:

JJ

Quick question, was there s campfire that nite? What you call a moth in the third picture is viisble in that one and the second one, just different angles. You can recognize the trees but at different angles.

No, no camp fire. There were a lot of flying things, when the torches were on, so I assumed it was a moth. Pics taken torchless, as it reflects the light back.

hehehe. the thought of us building a camp fire during our nights out tickled me! Useless bunch we are.......

Thanks for anwsering. Ruling the fire out and you telling us no one was smoking, you have some pretty good pictures. Thanks bunches for sharing them with us!

?. What you saying about the pics? Explain to a dumb blondey what you did and what you think :)
honestly...it depends on my "mood" when I look at photos like these.....yes I do think that you captured something here...although this morning they don't slap me in the face like they did last night, they remain every bit as troubling ...I would be careful with those seances hun...not to be a buzzkill but I do NOT like what I see.....and I happen to be a "dumb blondey" myself.....B

halfhandshuffle:Children of Bodom-"In Your Face"

Edited by Barek Halfhand

honestly...it depends on my "mood" when I look at photos like these.....yes I do think that you captured something here...although this morning the don't slap me in the face like they did last night, they remain every bit as troubling ...I would be careful with those seances hun...not to be a buzzkill but I do NOT like wht I see.....and I happen to be a "dumb blondey" myself.....B

halfhandshuffle:Children of Bodom-"In Your Face"

Now stop it! You are worrying me.....

We have been told that mist or orbs (if you believe in orbs) with a red tinge are not so good. No idea if that is right or wrong. That place though is very odd and we will be going back to do a bit more investigation.

OOOh, the link from youtube about the windy witchy thing? I emailed the guy and asked if he knew anymore on the place, and he has replied and said that windy thing happens at 2 pm, as he has been there few times to check it out. Weird eh?

Now stop it! You are worrying me.....

We have been told that mist or orbs (if you believe in orbs) with a red tinge are not so good. No idea if that is right or wrong. That place though is very odd and we will be going back to do a bit more investigation.

OOOh, the link from youtube about the windy witchy thing? I emailed the guy and asked if he knew anymore on the place, and he has replied and said that windy thing happens at 2 pm, as he has been there few times to check it out. Weird eh?

Those are fantastic photos, thank you for sharing. There is a great deal of activity in that area. Fortunately I dont sense or see anything of an evil nature. I knew I saw photos around that area on YouTube and I am impressed with both of yours. Red and black is NOT good, however those type of things can be seen in millions of locations, but does not mean you brought anything home with you and you have nothing to be afraid of, good job!!! JN :tu:

You mean, as in it frequently happens right there at the same timeframe? .... that would be curious to find out and exhaust natural causes for it, as it was rather impressive given how it blew all the leaves down and nowhere else it seemed.... I wonder what it is. If it repeats, then there has to be a natural cause for it you could determine, or you have a wonderful anomaly going on that may qualify for further wondering about :).

Thanks for letting us know!

NS