Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dragons of Mt. Pilatus

Rosenrot

This spring, my family took a trip to Switzerland. On that trip we ascended Mt. Pilatus. There are quiet a few legends and lore surrounding this mountain. While at the peak, I found plaques that document some of the legends. I was wondering if anyone else had information about the legends of Mt. Pilatus.

post-55173-1181856934_thumb.jpg

post-55173-1181856967_thumb.jpg

post-55173-1181856996_thumb.jpg

post-55173-1181857207_thumb.jpg

post-55173-1181857236_thumb.jpg

post-55173-1181857266_thumb.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rosenrot

• draconic chronicler

• group67

• Simple Logic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This spring, my family took a trip to Switzerland. On that trip we ascended Mt. Pilatus. There are quiet a few legends and lore surrounding this mountain. While at the peak, I found plaques that document some of the legends. I was wondering if anyone else had information about the legends of Mt. Pilatus.

Switzerland has quite a number of dragon legends, and some were mentioned in the Tatzelwurm thread that is still relatively current. One of the most interesting is of a man who claimed to have survived through the winter living with a pair of dragons in their cave, and I think this was relatiely recent, like in the early 1700's. Hundreds of people have supposedly seen them flying around the alps over the years.

i think it would be amaing to see one...dragons are awesome creatures!!....

hey if any one has seen a dragon.. be sure to post it here!

i think it would be amaing to see one...dragons are awesome creatures!!....

hey if any one has seen a dragon.. be sure to post it here!

yeah thats if theres any witnesses of a dragon alive you would probably be killed by it before you see it.

yeah thats if theres any witnesses of a dragon alive you would probably be killed by it before you see it.

That could explain why most photos of this kind of cryptid are always so far away and blurry. If a person were close enough to take a clear photo, the creature would know the person was there, and moments later the person becomes another statistic of "missing persons". For thousands of years, and all over the world our ancestors believed in dragons, and in all of those times and places they though they were "more" than mere dumb animals, assigning them great wisdom and supernatural abilities. So if a mollusc with a tiny brain like the giant squid can staty hidden from man for thousands of years, and only photographed ONCE in all that time, why couldn't a creature all of our ancestors believed were at least as intellogent as us be that much more elusive?

Actually they are. Dragon like creatures have been seen for centuries in the same places, but they are dismissed as hoaxes because we think, "they are only dumb animals and if they really existed we would have caught them by now".

Oooh I was there back in 2003 :D

Hear the one about Pontius Pilate? My guide told me that if you see him bathing the blood off his hands in the waters of the mountain that you'll die that very night. The only reason I slept is because I got hammered drunk...even then I had a nightmare he was washing his hands in my basin...he told me he wouldn't be long... :o

Hear the one about Pontius Pilate? My guide told me that if you see him bathing the blood off his hands in the waters of the mountain that you'll die that very night. The only reason I slept is because I got hammered drunk...even then I had a nightmare he was washing his hands in my basin...he told me he wouldn't be long... :o

Ya, the mountain got it's name because Pontius Pilatus is supposed to be buried around there somewhere. I believe in Lake Luzern. In medevial times, the people of Luzern were terrified to go near the mountain because they were afriad of incuring the supernatural wrath of Pontius Pilatus. But the only thing I could find about Pilatus washing his hands was this: "Banashed to this desolate wilderness, the man's tourmented spirit was said to surface every year on Good Friday, in a vain attempt to wash his bloodied hands." Nothing about a curse... hmmm

One of the most interesting is of a man who claimed to have survived through the winter living with a pair of dragons in their cave, and I think this was relatiely recent, like in the early 1700's. Hundreds of people have supposedly seen them flying around the alps over the years.

I think it says something like that in the 3rd plaque. A man fell into a cave between a pair of hibernating dragons; the dragons tolerated him; he survived the winter. That would be awsome to survive winter with dragons.