Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

spinosaurus.....

SameerPrehistorica

In gavinrymill.com,they have mentioned spinosaurus as 4 tonnes.actually i want to know is it really 4 tonnes or 6 tonnes.

In some other sites,they are mentioning it as 6 tonnes and also in the film jurassic park 3,u can see it is equal to trex.And some say it is bigger than trex.Can anyone explain this .......................

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Carnivore

• DigitalDreamer

• draconic chronicler

• PunkJunk

No you see what you saw in jp/// was a movie monster,It changed size,Chased humans for no reason at all,and was also able to bash thrue was seemed to be a reinforced steel gate.Well the monster in jp/// probrally was 6 tons because it crushed that plains outershape into an oval.

It was about 60 ft and 5 1/2 tons.

In gavinrymill.com,they have mentioned spinosaurus as 4 tonnes.actually i want to know is it really 4 tonnes or 6 tonnes.

In some other sites,they are mentioning it as 6 tonnes and also in the film jurassic park 3,u can see it is equal to trex.And some say it is bigger than trex.Can anyone explain this .......................

Dude where have you been the last two years?. The latest Spino found by the Milan team is estimated at SIXTY-NINE FEET LONG. One ESTIMATE OF ITS WEIGHT BY REAL SCIENTISTS IS 12 TONS! It is a full one third larger than ANY other carnivorous dinosaur.

From Wiki:

Spinosaurus (meaning "spine lizard") was a genus of theropod dinosaur that lived in what is now North Africa, from the Albian to early Cenomanian stages of the Cretaceous Period, about 95 to 93 million years ago. It is unclear whether there are one or two species. The best known is S. aegyptiacus from Egypt, though a second species (S. marocannus) has been recovered from Morocco.

The distinctive "spines" of Spinosaurus, which were long extensions of the vertebrae, grew up to 2 metres (6.6 feet) long and were likely to have had skin connecting them, forming a sail-like structure, although some authors have suggested that they were covered in muscle and formed a hump or ridge. Multiple functions have been put forward for this structure, including thermoregulation and display. According to a study by paleontologist Cristiano Dal Sasso of the Civic Natural History Museum in Milan and his colleagues in 2006, it is the largest of all carnivorous dinosaurs, even larger than Tyrannosaurus rex and Giganotosaurus. If the estimates are correct, Spinosaurus would be the longest theropod, measuring 16 - 18 m long (52.5 - 59.1 ft), around 6 m tall (20 ft), and reached weights up to 12 tons.[1]

[edit] Longest theropods

Size comparison of selected giant theropod dinosaursSize by overall length, including tail, of all theropods over 12 meters.

Spinosaurus: 16-?21 m (53-?69 ft)

Giganotosaurus: 13.5 m (44.2 ft)

Tyrannotitan: ?13.4 m (?44 ft)

Deltadromeus: 13.3 m (43.6 ft)

Mapusaurus: 13 m (42.6 ft)

Tyrannosaurus: 12.3 m (40.3 ft)

Epanterias: 12.1 m (39.7 ft)

Therizinosaurus: 12 m (39.3 ft)

Edmarka: 12 m (39.3 ft)

Carcharodontosaurus: 11.1-?13.5 m (37-?44 ft)

Deinocheirus: 10-13 m (33-43 ft)

[edit] Most massive theropods

Size by overall weight of all theropods over 4 tons.

Spinosaurus: 9-?12 tons

Tyrannosaurus: 6.7-?8.9 tons

Giganotosaurus: 4.16-?8 tons

Therizinosaurus: 6.2 tons

Tarbosaurus: 6 tons

Epanterias: 4.5 tons

Mapusaurus: 4-?5 tons

Edmarka: 4 tons

Carcharodontosaurus: 3-?4 tons

Suchomimus: 2.9-4.8 tons

Edited by draconic chronicler

Dude where have you been the last two years?. The latest Spino found by the Milan team is estimated at SIXTY FEET LONG. One ESTIMATE OF ITS WEIGHT BY REAL SCIENTISTS IS 16 TONS! It is a full one third larger than ANY other carnivorous dinosaur.

Uh... I really doubt that. It was only a third larger than T-Rex, why would it be three times as heavy?

Uh... I really doubt that. It was only a third larger than T-Rex, why would it be three times as heavy?

Real paleontologist came up with these statistics. But I know from crocodiles, for each foot bigger they get, their mass expands too.

For a long time all the big theropods hovered around 45 feet. But now all doubt is removed as to what is the biggest. There may have been a 50 foot Rex based on a maxilla fragment, but considering how many T Rexes have been found now, we have a pretty good idea of their normal adult size (ca. 40-45 ft.)

Wait i have a Q,So just because the spino has the croc like jaw that means it also grew like crocs the foot mass thing that you mentioned?Or is it just that the spino is an acception?

Huh, I didn't know that. That explains why my lizard's getting so damn heavy for it's size, though...

Wait i have a Q,So just because the spino has the croc like jaw that means it also grew like crocs the foot mass thing that you mentioned?Or is it just that the spino is an acception?

Nobody can really know for sure.

I'm guessing the Spinosaurus was the same way.

WTF, I always thought Deinocherius was bigger than Therizinosaurus...BTW which is a omnivore/insectivore.

Saurophaganax!

• 4 weeks later...

Imagine a cube, side length 2 units. It's volume would be 2x2x2=8 u^3, it's mass 8x its density/u^3.

Now we enlarge the cube a third, making it's side length 2.67 u. I's volume would be 19.03 u^3, it's mass 19.03x it's density/u^3.

So an animal that is a third bigger than an other one (with equal or similar proportions) can be greatly heavier.

Cheers, Alan.

Edited by Alan Grant

I think some recent estimates put it at about 69 feet and 14 tons.

I think some recent estimates put it at about 69 feet and 14 tons.

If this is an average, then Spino might have reaached 80ft

Any proof of that,I doubt you do because anything that long would have to have four legs and eat plants or live in the ocean.

If this is an average, then Spino might have reaached 80ft

No, that's max estimates. Average was about 55 feet.

Edited by sadistic jellyfish of doom

before that find it was said that the skull of one spino was crushed during the ww2