Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Our Sun is dying

SEI 312

the sun will become a red giant in around 3.5 billion years when its supply of Hydrogen for Nuclear Fusion is running out.

It will probably swallow up both Mercury & Venus and there is a possibility that Earth may also be vaporised.

Sorry if i am off topic

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Picturesque Orion

• Legatus Legionis

• questionmark

• SEI 312

the sun will become a red giant in around 3.5 billion years when its supply of Hydrogen for Nuclear Fusion is running out.

It will probably swallow up both Mercury & Venus and there is a possibility that Earth may also be vaporised.

Sorry if i am off topic

In the sun's red giant fase it's size will reach till saturns orbit, so it will swallow Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn.

well yes. it's sci-fi stuff. but during in the early days. they also thought that making it to the moon was also sci-fi. having a plane was also sci-fi.

It is total sci fi stuff, coz it just cannot be done. Saturn is too small ( compared to stars) to withstand this ignition, the heat will make it's atmosphere and gases instable and so it will fall apart, so no, the Saturn ignition idea is not posible.

It is total sci fi stuff, coz it just cannot be done. Saturn is too small ( compared to stars) to withstand this ignition, the heat will make it's atmosphere and gases instable and so it will fall apart, so no, the Saturn ignition idea is not posible.

Well thank god the Wright Brothers didn't share your views on physics....

.. stars are supposed to die. Their deaths send shock waves that ignite new generations and stardeath also enables the existance of heavier elements which we need.

That's true but aside from gently shedding a planetary nebula our sun won't do any of that.

Edited by Startraveler

In the sun's red giant fase it's size will reach till saturns orbit, so it will swallow Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn.

no, it won't

I hope that at least in the next million years, we would have explored and established society's in space.

I don't see the point of staying on earth or fixing our sun.

Well thank god the Wright Brothers didn't share your views on physics....

ok, I ain't gonna argue with that, anyways if that doesn't happen just how long do you think Saturn will be able to withstand the ignition? Saturn doesn't have that much hidrogen as the sun to produce the fusion....... it only has a tear of it compared to the sun. I am sorry but that idea is totally Science Fiction.

Edited by Ghostkol

ok, I ain't gonna argue with that, anyways if that doesn't happen just how long do you think Saturn will be able to withstand the ignition? Saturn doesn't have that much hidrogen as the sun to produce the fusion....... it only has a tear of it compared to the sun. I am sorry but that idea is totally Science Fiction.

Your signature is way to big.

Yeah, you are right, gonna take it off now.

Yeah, you are right, gonna take it off now.

You don't have to take it off, just resize it.

Most people really don't know how long 5 million years is in human terms. If you take one accepted definition of a generation of 22 years, then it will be your great X 227, 272 grandkids. Not nearly enough greats in your example. That's more generations than we've been in existence.

Many scientists believe human beings will be extinct by then.

I wasn't trying to give you a realistic figure. Its ok man you can let it ok every things ok...........

Lol, mankind isnt gonna be in this solar system when the sun runs dry, and by then im sure we would have created an artificial sun.

Edited by . Alexandros .

Lol, mankind isnt gonna be in this solar system when the sun runs dry, and by then im sure we would have created an artificial sun.

Why not start working on that artificial sun now?

We are trying to create fusion now. It has not been successful more than a few micoseconds.

We all know the story:

In about 5 billion years from now, the sun will begin to die.

anyone?

@#$%! I better make out my will!!!...........

Lpaiche

Making fursion is very very complicated. We can't do a satifactory fusion with our current technology but the day that humans make sucesfull fusion, many posibilities will be opened. :)

Won't we be all dead by then? So does it matter if the sun dies when we're dead? Just saying.

Making fursion is very very complicated. We can't do a satifactory fusion with our current technology but the day that humans make sucesfull fusion, many posibilities will be opened. :)

We already have made successful fusion with our current technology, all though the reaction is a sustained uncontrolled chain. The hope is that in the future we will be able to harness the power of fusion in a controlled environment.

Easy solution to this if we survive the 5 billion (which is doubtfull) as most species have a genetic lifespan then we would have already learned how to travel by warping space \ time by harnessing the power of gravity.. (if not already) We would go to a Star system that has no chance of ever supporing life. Transport Huge amounts of Hydrogen Fuel from new star to our old sun to keep reaction going by way of a some sort of gravity space\time transport system injecting it directly into the core of our sun therore keeping it from expanding into a red giant.. This would probaly be a never ending process much as we currently refuel our current vehicles with fossil fuels . I do not beleive this will be done for the survival of mankind as I am sure we would be spread all over the galaxy by then as we are the type of species to expand and conquer however earth and the system will be spared more so for our history, lineage and sentimental value over our home planet. This technology will probaly be feasable in 200 years or so.. if not sooner.But I do not beleive we as a species will be around too even see this. We dont even know if we are going to survive the next 10 years much less the nex 100....

We all know the story:

The Sun is about 4.5 billion years old. it has used up about half of its nuclear fuel (hydrogen). In about 5 billion years from now, the sun will begin to die.

As the Sun grows old, it will expand. As the core runs out of hydrogen and then helium, the core will contact and the outer layers will expand, cool, and become less bright. It will become a red giant star

I realize "WE" don't have to worry about it, but it seems to be a pretty large and important problem for the future of mankind. Why not start working on a solution now, afterall a problem of this magnitude could very well take 5 billion years to find a solution.

anyone?

In 5 billion years our species will have changed and spread out so far across the galaxy no one thing could wip us all out. In otherwords it really is not that big of problem for our species.

The Sun is about 4.5 billion years old.

anyone?

Errr... R.I.P our Sun.

Edited by REBEL

Easy solution to this if we survive the 5 billion (which is doubtfull) as most species have a genetic lifespan then we would have already learned how to travel by warping space \ time by harnessing the power of gravity.. (if not already) We would go to a Star system that has no chance of ever supporing life. Transport Huge amounts of Hydrogen Fuel from new star to our old sun to keep reaction going by way of a some sort of gravity space\time transport system injecting it directly into the core of our sun therore keeping it from expanding into a red giant.. This would probaly be a never ending process much as we currently refuel our current vehicles with fossil fuels . I do not beleive this will be done for the survival of mankind as I am sure we would be spread all over the galaxy by then as we are the type of species to expand and conquer however earth and the system will be spared more so for our history, lineage and sentimental value over our home planet. This technology will probaly be feasable in 200 years or so.. if not sooner.But I do not beleive we as a species will be around too even see this. We dont even know if we are going to survive the next 10 years much less the nex 100....

We could always thumb a ride from our little green friends to the orion cluster... I hear there are great sea views of the nitrogen oceans there. B)