Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

MANKINDS BIGGEST MISTAKE!

Adama

Hey,

All of you remember the Voyager Golden Record, yes?, well if not, let me inform you all with the details.

The Voyager Golden Record is a phonograph record included in the two Voyager spacecraft launched in 1977. It contains sounds and images selected to portray the diversity of life and culture on Earth. It is intended for any intelligent extraterrestrial life form, or far future humans, that may find it. The Voyager spacecraft will take about 40,000 years to come near another star, 'near' meaning in this case within around 1.7 light-years' distance; hence, if other beings do not come in the direction of the spacecraft to meet them, it will take at least that long for the Golden Record to be found.

As the probes are extremely small compared to the vastness of interstellar space, it is extraordinarily unlikely that they will ever be intercepted. If they are ever found by an alien species, it will be far in the future, and thus the record is best seen as a symbolic statement rather than a serious attempt to communicate with aliens.

Other things that are on these probes are symbols of man and where our planet Earth is located!

The records hold sounds of life on Earth, like animals, human conversations, music, videos, images, our science and technology knowlegde and our thoughts and feelings.

The record also holds 55 languages!

There is a 90minute electric selection of music from many cultures and countries.

The Voyagers Golden Record's mission is to come in contact with extraterrestrials or inteliegence greater than our own.

Nasa has done a MASSIVE mistake of sending this probe to outer space and beyond, All of us just better hope that the probe never completes its mission. If inteliegence greater than our own find this, they will see that we have not even tapped into the advances of technology and will take advantage of us with the help of a map provided by us on the side of the probe.

Plz share your thoughts and comments. Thx

post-56587-1182242452_thumb.jpg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Picturesque Orion

• MID

• Waspie_Dwarf

• War Eagle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First of all.......RELAX

Second of all, Even IF Something gets it, we will be LONG gone, i dont think the human race will even be around by then but who knows.

Third of all. IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME TO GET ANYWHERE.

And what is with you ? first you give facts about how it will take ages for it to get anywhere and then complain about how we made a mistake about sending it. Who says they can even USE that thing ?! advanced as they may be if an alien race sent us something which to them is simple we might not understand it at ALL even IF they where Less intelligently. And the location of were we are MEANS NOTHING because we are at the VERY EDGE of the universe mate, If they find us and we are long gone Who says there are Hostile ?? First they travel such a distance and you expect them to invade ? hell by the time they get here IF they Do and IF they are hostile we will be more advanced. And i don't think we Will be around anyway mate. BUT me and you will be LONG dead so who knows ? maybe you are right this whole time.

By the way welcome, im i aussieland to, S.A by any chance ?

Hey i appreciate what you mean by that,

but what if the aliens pick it up tomorrow or even they have already picked it up and they are studiying us. Remember they are advanced and can prolly travel throughout the universe like its a sunday trip to the beach, and how do you know were at the edge of the universe.

and you are correct about them sending a simple message to us, but it will seem to advanced for us to understand. But remember there advanced and they will take this into factor and will send a message we will understand. Maybe images or symbols, since that is the universal way of communicating with different langauges and cultures.

Im from VIC, how you doing?

An interesting post, Adama...thanks for that. :tu:

I surpose when the Voyager Golden Record was sent on it's way....the creators and senders were thinking

that any superior intelligences that MIGHT find it (a long shot, but who knows).....would be friendly beings!

What if they saw humans and animals and thought "yum yum!" :w00t:

High intelligence does not automatically mean 'goodness'....as illustrated by us, the human race.

I couldn't help thinking of 'Planet of the Apes'...when they found the statue of Liberty!

Imagine if somehow Voyager Golden Record came winging back to earth somehow in a few thousand

years....boomerang-like.

Heaven only knows what earth might be like then! All this radioactive material we have everywhere.

Mutated humans living in a mutated world....find it....manage to 'play' it....and wonder where this beautiful

place might be....then........shock......statue of Liberty moment!!!!

The chances of an alien race, much less one with space-faring capabilities, and on top of that hostile, are negligible. Compared to the galaxy as a whole, the Voyager probe is smaller than a single atom in the ocean.

Well if they find it years and years in the future then our tech would be better anyway, so the cleverer beings will think we are smarter then they first thought.

Also why would they take over this planet, i mean we are destroying the planet anyway so there is no point them destroying it.

If they find it soon let us hope they are really nice and friendly or they cant surrive in our atmosphere

The Voyagers Golden Record's mission is to come in contact with extraterrestrials or inteliegence greater than our own.

Nasa has done a MASSIVE mistake of sending this probe to outer space and beyond, All of us just better hope that the probe never completes its mission. If inteliegence greater than our own find this, they will see that we have not even tapped into the advances of technology and will take advantage of us with the help of a map provided by us on the side of the probe.

I'm sorry but this is complete nonsense.

Firstly the chances of the Voyager spacecraft being found are extremely small.

Secondly it will take the Voyagers more than 30,000 years to reach a distance equivalent to that of the closest star. Any civilisation close enough to find voyager in the next few hundred thousand years will be well aware of our existence anyway. Radio broadcasts (which unintentionally signal that there is intelligent life on Earth and exactly where it is) have already penetrated more than 100 light years into space (a distance the Voyagers would take around three quarters of a million years to cover).

Thirdly, how do you know how an alien race would behave anyway? It is possible that it could be the greatest thing to happen to mankind.

Voyager is not very high on the list of problems to face this planet.

Voyager is not very high on the list of problems to face this planet.

agreed :tu:

definitely not one of mankind's biggest mistakes :lol:

u forget that aliens probably wont be able to understand anything that the probe says, they probably will think it a piece of trash and burn it or something.

if they DO understand it then we are in serious trouble tho

u forget that aliens probably wont be able to understand anything that the probe says, they probably will think it a piece of trash and burn it or something.

Actually the record is designed so that it can be easily understood by an reasonably scientifically advanced species. If they are capable of intercepting a tiny spacecraft in deep space I think we can safely assume that they will reasonably scientifcally advanced.

Why? I'll ask you the same question that I asked Adama; how can you posssibly know the intentions of a totally alien species?

waspie, do u know what i like about u? u make me think. . . ur right tho, we have no clue what they would to if they found us, or even if they would be interested in finding us.

You're all watching too many scaaary sci-fi movies! Any civilization that would have evolved an advanced enough technology to travel here would by then very likely also found out that earth is a possible life-supporting planet. So if they wanted to come here, they'd do it anyway, friend or foe, probe or no probe.

Ah, cut him some slack. Adama is one of those "cry wolfers" that will make outrageous statements to try and get people stirred up. Look at the underground cities post for more insight. He's just the cutest little thing when he tries to get us all worked up! :P

hey peoples, waspie dwarf your totally correct about the radio waves/broadcasts being sent out further than the golden record probe.

But maybe "aliens" dont use that technology at all, i mean, they prolly went another way or a different path/branch, and tapped into a technology we will never discover, for example, we started with basics of physical technology, like satelites and tv's, when they could have started with something totally different. do you understand what im saying, im getting confused here right now, figuring out how to explain it.

And how do we know, that it hasnt been picked up already by aliens. Remember they are so advanced they zoom through space as if they were on a sunday trip to the beach.

and there is a lot to worry about. Stop thinking that they will be peaceful and come in peace with the hand signal and all. Because this isnt the movies. There governements are prolly keeping us from there public. I they come they will take advantage of us. or maybe it is the other way around and we are the the so called advanced civilisation in the universe. but we will never know, unless we get hard proof, and the only way to start is to get the governements to speak or make them speak.

geez--my"powers" are telling me some little green men got the disk from voyager --there thinking of playing it and -one of them says to the other ' WTF is this ? the other LGM says it must be the bee-gee's--remember that radio transmission from earth year 1977!! the bee-gee's?!!! and tosses it into the space-dumpster--

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!$@!#%@#%@#

Okay... calmed down.... the point of the spacecraft ws to study the planets which were in alignment, the probe thingy ws a bonus basically

hey peoples, waspie dwarf your totally correct about the radio waves/broadcasts being sent out further than the golden record probe.

But maybe "aliens" dont use that technology at all, i mean, they prolly went another way or a different path/branch, and tapped into a technology we will never discover, for example, we started with basics of physical technology, like satelites and tv's, when they could have started with something totally different.

Whilst it is possible (even likely) that these hypothetical aliens could use some sort of technology that we haven't thought of yet it is highly unlikely that any advanced civilisation would not be aware of radio.

Advanced scientific principles must follow on from simpler ones. You simply can not skip large areas of basic physics and arrive at an advanced state of knowledge. This would like a child learning differential calculus with out first learning basic arithmetic or writing a best selling novel without learning the alphabet.

The understanding of electromagnetic radiation sufficient to understand radio is a comparatively basic principle, it is next to impossible that a race could be significantly more advanced than us scientifically without knowing these basic principles.

We don't use gamma rays to communicate but we know about them and can select them. If a near by alien race did use them it is only a mater of time before we would realise that such signals were artificial in origin.

As for "technology we will never discover" that is irrelevant. You are talking about them discovering us not the other way round. It is what they know that is relevant.

im getting confused here right now, figuring out how to explain it.
That much is clear.

And how do we know, that it hasnt been picked up already by aliens.
If by this you mean the Voyager spacecraft then the fact that they are still operating and sending back signals to Earth should be a pretty good clue that no alien has whisked them off.

Remember they are so advanced they zoom through space as if they were on a sunday trip to the beach.
As the Voyager spacecraft have not even made it to the edge of the solar system these "advanced" aliens of yours would have to have been remarkably stupid to have got that close to Earth and not realised that the 3rd planet from the sun had a technological species on it long before they found Voyager.

We are already planning future space based telescope that could take a spectrum of a planet around a star several light years away and would be able to find evidence of Earth like industry. We will be able to do this in the next decade or so and yet your hypothetical "advanced" aliens can't do this from a few hundred million miles away.

and there is a lot to worry about. Stop thinking that they will be peaceful and come in peace with the hand signal and all. Because this isnt the movies.
No it is pure fantasy.

There governements are prolly keeping us from there public.
So if they are already here and being hidden from us by the government exactly how do the Voyager spacecraft pose a threat? This argument is illogical and contradictory when applied to your original argument.

I they come they will take advantage of us. or maybe it is the other way around and we are the the so called advanced civilisation in the universe.
And this is based on what evidence exactly? I ask you again, how do you know how a totally alien species will think or act?

but we will never know, unless we get hard proof, and the only way to start is to get the governements to speak or make them speak.
Herein lies a paradox. You say there is no hard proof. If there is no hard proof then, logically, there can be no hard proof of a government cover up. If there is no proof of a government cover up how then can you know that the government has anything to reveal anyway?

In bringing in government conspiracies and alien invaders you are rapidly taking this topic in a direction that would be more suitable either for the Extraterrestrial Life & The UFO Phenomenon forum or the Conspiracies & Secret Societies forum rather than the Space and Astronomy forum. I am seriously considering moving it.

the point of the spacecraft ws to study the planets which were in alignment, the probe thingy ws a bonus basically

Perfectly correct, however, Adama is correct about the purpose of the records. He doesn't seem to know that Pioneers 10 and 11 also carried plaques which locate the Earth, but I won't tell him if you don't

IMO...

MANKIND'S BIGGEST MISTAKE!...

The rape and or destruction of some if not most of the world's ancient and cultural esoteric past over the last 2,000 yrs or so...

Ancient manuscripts/texts/treasures etc.

One of the worst though would have to be the ''mysterious destruction'' of Library of Alexandria

JMO.

perfectly put

like so many have said, the only way humanity can have a chance of getting back on track is if we meet aliens (as a whole species)

[how do you know how a totally alien species will think or act?

None of us know how a totally alien species would think or act, I think this is the point Adama is making.

Sending stuff like this out into space is an act of faith.

If by the VERY slim chance it is found and looked at....presumably the senders of information like this

think that who-ever finds it will have good intentions.

Fingers crossed.

well aliens supposedly already make contact with people and study us in their UFO's. With the amount of sighting now days and far back in our past, it has to be taken more seriously. The answer to life other than on Earth just may be right infront of our noses. And we are too oblivious to notice and take seriously.

Hey,

All of you remember the Voyager Golden Record, yes?, well if not, let me inform you all with the details.

The Voyager Golden Record is a phonograph record included in the two Voyager spacecraft launched in 1977. It contains sounds and images selected to portray the diversity of life and culture on Earth. It is intended for any intelligent extraterrestrial life form, or far future humans, that may find it. The Voyager spacecraft will take about 40,000 years to come near another star, 'near' meaning in this case within around 1.7 light-years' distance; hence, if other beings do not come in the direction of the spacecraft to meet them, it will take at least that long for the Golden Record to be found.

As the probes are extremely small compared to the vastness of interstellar space, it is extraordinarily unlikely that they will ever be intercepted. If they are ever found by an alien species, it will be far in the future, and thus the record is best seen as a symbolic statement rather than a serious attempt to communicate with aliens.

Other things that are on these probes are symbols of man and where our planet Earth is located!

The records hold sounds of life on Earth, like animals, human conversations, music, videos, images, our science and technology knowlegde and our thoughts and feelings.

The record also holds 55 languages!

There is a 90minute electric selection of music from many cultures and countries.

Perhaps you think that an advanced extra-terrestrial civilization, capable of interstellar travel, will see an opportunity to conquer us though the highly unlikely dicovery of this tiny artifact?

What?

They'll take advantage of us?

For WHAT? "Oh, well, let's go conquer these primitive folks!" They can travel interstellar distances and they'd want to conquer a civilization that has only stepped out into the shallow waters of the universe with primitive spacecraft?

A civilization that will probably find it fascinating to find other life in the universe....taking advantage of us?

Me thinks you watch too many alien movies or something...

An advanced civilization, coming upon Voyager, would probably be enthralled beyond belief at the discovery!

They'd study it for years. Proof of intelligent life. Perhaps they'd come to an understanding of us...perhaps not. Maybe they'd come here...and observe.

What makes you thiik that a civilization capable of such an accomplishment would even think of causing trouble, conquering us, invading?

The idea is ludicrous.